• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Like what are we actually fucking doing right now?

....Not carrying water for Israel, as you seem to be thinking?

The IDF has, and is, doing some FUCKED shit - I want them to stop IMMEDIATELY, I want Gazans to get the aid they desperately, DESPERATELY need, I'd really like the USA to not continue to supply arms without conditions, and I hope that Bibi goes to prison ASAP.

But I don't see anyone uncritically carrying water for Israel, in the recent few pages.

So it might be my turn to ask back to clarify where you're seeing this 'carrying water'....or maybe, 'what the fuck are you talking about?'

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

View: https://x.com/umichvoter/status/1766472845297868834?s=46&t=qDKZt98wXUwG6Nw3awq7cA

This is a great ad - outtake is hilarious.
"Donald Trump believes the job of the president is to take care of Donald Trump" 🔥

Glad to see the campaign coming to life.

As for the topic at hand, many of you all have already stated far more eloquently the problems that continue to plague this site. It's sad the moderation team not only continues to ignore our concerns but seemingly has no interest in living up to their commitment to better and not drive more members away from this community.

Biden is a much stronger campaigner than people give him credit for. It really helps to be likable. That's unfortunately what doomed Hillary vs Trump and why Biden continues to have an advantage vs Trump.

As to your point about the state of the site, I've been a member of this community in one way or another going back to when it was the sub-forum on Gaming-Age so I've lived through the splintering and branching that's natural for any community. I do think that it's time for the entire moderation team to get together and decide what kind of site they'd like this to be. It feels like this site has been in an endless cycle of driving away minority and social groups because concerns about the kinds of hostilities that are and aren't tolerated hasn't been consistent. I know that it's an incredibly difficult balancing act but we shouldn't have situations where one group or another feels unsafe remaining on this board at the expense of making another group comfortable.

Erpy

May 31, 2018

View: https://x.com/umichvoter/status/1766472845297868834?s=46&t=qDKZt98wXUwG6Nw3awq7cA

"Donald Trump believes the job of the president is to take care of Donald Trump" 🔥

As for the topic at hand, many of you all have already stated far more eloquently the problems that continue to plague this site. It's sad the moderation team not only continues to ignore our concerns but seemingly has no interest in living up to their commitment to better and not drive more members away from this community.

Excellent ad, showing Biden being something that Trump is incapable of being: personable and able to poke fun at himself.

After succesfully co-opting the Brandon meme, Biden's team clearly has it sights on taking another right-wing talking point and jiu-jitsuing it back onto the ones who came up with it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, playing lightly into the 'Old' rhetoric (to a very safe threshold) seems like the smart play here. He can't do anything to stop that he is seen as old, but it can be used to an advantage at this point.

Nov 27, 2020
At this point, playing lightly into the 'Old' rhetoric (to a very safe threshold) seems like the smart play here. He can't do anything to stop that he is seen as old, but it can be used to an advantage at this point.
When he leans into it, it comes across as "fun grandpa" energy, which contrasts well with Trump's "angry creepy uncle" energy.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
It's so depressing to be here for a third / fourth time, with the same reasons and the same people.

As always, the mod team will conflate the awful people who engage IRL harassment with PoliEra because they don't like being challenged, will go silent for a while, and be glad when another group of people leave whilst writing them off as trouble causers and awful people. The way that people who have left Era are spoken about by mods and admins is depressingly self-righteous and bitter.

There's only one constant in the way this keeps happening, both to PoliEra and multiple other communities. The same mod team that won't communicate, won't talk to anyone, won't accept being wrong, and absolutely will not tackle the issues in their own team. Even when they posted about learning the lessons from 2020 they studiously ignored one of the main factors - it was the mod team who behind that behaviour and supported it. Random users weren't banning people for not calling Biden a rapist, only the mod team could do that.

The fact this site now has a reputation for anti-semitism that extends well beyond the site, and administrators are allowed to post comments like the one linked above without consequence, is really depressing. We're supposed to be one of the safest left leaning places for discussion on the internet, it's was a key principle behind how the place was set up, and yet the people running the place fall short of that repeatedly and blame users instead of looking at themselves time and time and time again.

The mod team has an awful job, but its made a lot worse by a refusal to accept that some criticism is not bad faith and that not everyone who disagrees with the team is some sort of rogue actor intent on causing harm and abuse to the mod team. That "in the bunker" mentality is a huge part of what's going wrong, and has been for years. I genuinely think that mods should only serve for a short period of time because to be frank from the at the job is described its a nightmare of a role that comes with vast amounts of abuse, and yet people do it for 4+ years? No wonder people end up in a bad place thinking that everyone who disagrees is an enemy.

This hits the point very well. There is now basically a discourse where if you support Biden you are automatically supporting genocide or as one of such posters said you support an ethnostate that commits genocide. At any other time, if such generalizations were made people would get banned for it.

There is apparently no room for one to have a view that what Hamas did on 10/7 was terrible, what Israel is doing is terrible and the onus for a ceasefire is on Israel and Hamas. And that Biden will be better on this issue than Trump.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019

Not here as much and a bit off-topic(PM me if that works better), but what happened now?

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Not here as much and a bit off-topic(PM me if that works better), but what happened now?

Brady got banned for accusing Hamas of sex slavery rather than merely mass rape. A mod defended it by stating you can't just accuse an organisation connected to the islamic faith, which suffers from stereotypical portrayals regarding harems, of sex slavery because it promotes islamophobia. People here disagreed with that decision and thought it was a distinction without a difference.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Brady got banned for accusing Hamas of sex slavery rather than merely mass rape. People here disagreed with that decision.
Also same length ban as someone calling for Israel to cease to exist.

And the disagreement was after actual definitions were posted along with official reporting saying it is likely things like that are happening.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Start here.

www.resetera.com

US PoliEra 2024 |OT 1| Doom Eternal

Hamas, the governing body of Gaza, which began this entire war by launching a surprise invasion of their neighbor that killed at least 1200 people and took hostages should reconsider their refusal to release said hostages which, according to the UN, are being used as sex slaves and actually...

Speaking of, Brady's ban has been reduced to two weeks.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Start here.

www.resetera.com

US PoliEra 2024 |OT 1| Doom Eternal

Hamas, the governing body of Gaza, which began this entire war by launching a surprise invasion of their neighbor that killed at least 1200 people and took hostages should reconsider their refusal to release said hostages which, according to the UN, are being used as sex slaves and actually...

Speaking of, Brady's ban has been reduced to two weeks.
Well that's better than nothing. Brady likely appealed though.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am not going to say much on this Brady situation that hasn't been said already. I have been around since before the GAF mass exodus days and helped in the transfers of old GAF users to new Era users. This is a very unfortunate incident that is the type of thing which gives this place a bad reputation outside even among reasonable people.

The users make the forums. Mods should facilitate discourse, not stifle it. I personally rarely engage in Era outside of specific OTs, I see it as a landmine as users have been primed to jump on stuff that makes them even slightly uncomfortable. I like that Era is stricter than other places on the internet but it has been going a bit too far in recent times. At best the moderation has been inconsistent, at worst it has felt draconian.

Now back on topic, Biden's new ad is solid and he needs to keep being on the offensive. Keep reminding people of his "predecessor" and keep the passion.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
Pretty sad to continually see the same things happen, over and over, and over. I've learned a lot from all the regulars over the years going back to the 2010 mid-terms and the old place. There's a reason I only lurk anymore, and almost exclusively in this thread, the Russia invasion thread, and phisheep's Trump court case threads. I wish I had the time and knowledge to be a better contributor here. I've never wanted a twitter...X account but I suppose I'll give it a shot and follow some of the politics people and try and help contribute here more. Or at least post a little bit, but I'm certainly not as good at the analysis some of the regulars are awesome at.

Seeing the GOP now saying "Joe Biden is TOO ENERGETIC!!" is fucking hilarious.

Have we gotten any Juiced Joe memes yet?

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017

Man it's shocking that so many boomers love Trump, because this dude is one charming old guy... and that outtake, I don't see how that wouldn't hit home with seniors.

great ad.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
i think an understated thing biden did is student loans. a lot of my friends and my wife have had their loans forgiven/reduced and its certainly helped out the 30-45 demographic on that front.

im hoping that demographic turns out for him. obama was all talk on that front..bidens actually gotten it done..

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
So two users got permabanned (CreepingFear and treble) and there's no ban reasoning for either of them that I could find on their post history. Unless both of them started to harass staff in the DMs (which could obviously get you in trouble), this whole fiasco is going to get worse if there's no communication from staff.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Including Brady's ban, and volimar's voluntary departure from this community over this situation, that's four regulars missing from the community so far.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
So two users got permabanned (CreepingFear and treble) and there's no ban reasoning for either of them that I could find on their post history. Unless both of them started to harass staff in the DMs (which could obviously get you in trouble), this whole fiasco is going to get worse if there's no communication from staff.
Yeah this is definitely getting GAF-esque.

Deleted member 108302

Jan 29, 2022
So they're just gonna ban regulars now without stated reasons.... they really need to explain themselves

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This is....pretty concerning to say the least :/

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say that as a European this thread has been a great way to follow election season and what the current feeling are about it. The seperate threads on here are... completely useless for that for obvious reasons.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Attempting to doxx members of staff has always been a permable offense.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

Are you referring to people linking tweets from one of the admins here as doxxing? Or is it something else? Would be good to know as clearly there's a lot of unhappyness right now, and for obvious reasons trust is a bit thin on the ground sadly. As there's nothing visible on the forums its going to result in a lot more concern and unhappyness so would be good to clear the air.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
So apparently both CreepingFear and treble used Kiwifarms in an attempt to dox a staff member (which is obvious grounds for a permanent ban), but I'm left with more questions than answers. How did they even do that? I saw no mention of that website in their public post history

Culex

Oct 29, 2017

Can we at least address my concerns from the previous page? What about the very people in charge of running this forum?

It's the elephant in the room to me. The absolute silence on it is not leading me to believe anyone actually cares and double standards are fine.

Last edited:

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So apparently both CreepingFear and treble used Kiwifarms in an attempt to dox a staff member (which is obvious grounds for a permanent ban), but I'm left with more questions than answers. How did they even do that? I saw no mention of that website in their public post history
From what I saw, only a twitter account was posted. And with no identifying information. Nothing from Kiwi was ever posted here. I'm not sure if Creeping even actually ever posted any sort of twitter account or ever mentioned Kiwi.

And now that admin confirmed it was someone, it doesn't get to the actual substance. That is someone on the team holds the viewpoint (pre-war, btw) that Israeli Jews must vacate Israel or cede control of it. That seems…. Problematic on a forum.

Last edited:

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, twitter doxxing is bad form and generally not allowed. That's understandable.

It's honestly not even the primary concern here. The primary concern is that nobody on staff wants to actually meaningfully discuss how we got here and why. And if it's something fixable.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Presumably, CreepingFear's post about it being possible to use archive sites to retrieve the quoted tweets, after the account was set to private, was interpreted as a threat and was the reason for the ban, not because he posted said tweets himself.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Presumably, CreepingFear's post about it being possible to use archive sites to retrieve the quoted tweets, after the account was set to private, was interpreted as a threat and was the reason for the ban, not because she posted said tweets himself.
Yeah that's a very suspect post and I can definitely see why it would be the reason for a ban.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
From what I saw, only a twitter account was posted. And with no identifying information. Nothing from Kiwi was ever posted here. I'm not sure if Creeping even actually ever posted any sort of twitter account or ever mentioned Kiwi.

And now that admin confirmed it was someone, it doesn't get to the actual substance. That is someone on the team holds the viewpoint (pre-war, btw) that Israeli Jews must vacate Israel or cede control of it. That seems…. Problematic on a forum.
Whatever the admin said elsewhere it's not worth bringing up as that's a slippery slope. That's on the staff to figure out, not us, so I suggest we drop that. As for the rest of the fiasco, we should have gotten this settled yesterday were it not for the lack of any response demanding more consistent moderation regarding anti-Semitic and anti-Israel rhetoric.

Status
Not open for further replies.