• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I find that 2016 is a hindsight for progressivism vs centrist debate. Prior to 2018 we did not have a real, pragmatic progressive voice in Congress, outside of Bernie Sanders. Which meant Bernie was the crazy uncle of the Senate without any friends. All that changed in 2018 with the birth of Squad and their allies. Prior to 2018, "Progressivism" was just a bunch of ideas floated by various politicians, and Bernie was seen as too fringe of a candidate for America. Before AoC, Ilhan, Tlaib or Pressley, a "progressive" candidate that was modeled after Bernie was....Nina Turner. If we think back to 2016 and you think of progressive allies in Congress, and all you could come up with was Nina Turner clones, then yeah Progressivism was doomed to failure.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
I find that 2016 is a hindsight for progressivism vs centrist debate. Prior to 2018 we did not have a real, pragmatic progressive voice in Congress, outside of Bernie Sanders. Which meant Bernie was the crazy uncle of the Senate without any friends. All that changed in 2018 with the birth of Squad and their allies. Prior to 2018, "Progressivism" was just a bunch of ideas floated by various politicians, and Bernie was seen as too fringe of a candidate for America. Before AoC, Ilhan, Tlaib or Pressley, a "progressive" candidate that was modeled after Bernie was....Nina Turner. If we think back to 2016 and you think of progressive allies in Congress, and all you could come up with was Nina Turner clones, then yeah Progressivism was doomed to failure.
I mostly agree with you. Although technically, the Congressional Progressive Caucus was formed in 1991 by Bernie Sanders and 10 other senators with Sanders serving as chair. In addition Senator Markey and Senator Warren had some progressive credibility but they were still relatively unknown in the 2010's.

Also worth noting that Representative Pramilla Jayapal was the first candidate endorsed by Sanders to win in 2016. She is progressive and is aligned with Sanders for the most part. She currently is a chair member of the Progressive Congressional Caucus and a Senior Whip for the Democratic Party. There are currently 94 Congressional members that are apart of the Progressive Congressional Caucus. So I'd say there was some precedent for non-Nina Turner candidates. Although progressives prior to 2016-2018, didn't have a firm platform and vision.

What Sanders was able to do with his presidential run followed by AOC & Squad was give it credibility, firm positions and beliefs, and mainstream platform.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So do we have a tally for the number of R/D seats that have been made/lost per state?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.cbsnews.com

Arizona 2020 ballot review to be made public September 24

The GOP-led state Senate ordered a full hand recount and review of ballots and voting machines in Maricopa County earlier this year, after Biden's victory had been certified.

The long-delayed report about the partisan review of ballots cast in Maricopa County, Arizona, during the 2020 election will be made public at a hearing scheduled for Friday, September 24, according to a spokeswoman for Arizona Senate Republicans, who had ordered the review.
The report will be presented on the Senate floor and will be open to the media. Although Arizona's election results were already certified, six months ago, the Republican-controlled state Senate in Arizona undertook a full hand recount and review of the ballots and voting machines in Maricopa, the state's largest county.
By subpoena, the state Senate took possession of 2.1 million ballots and nearly 400 election machines and turned them over to be audited by companies that include one whose CEO promoted debunked election fraud theories after the election. The majority-Republican county board of supervisors vehemently objected to the action and pointed to the multiple audits of ballots and machines that Arizona had already completed that had found no issues.
Arizona Senate president Karen Fann said last month that part of the report had been turned in, but the full report was delayed when three members of the team conducting the review contracted COVID-19.
The controversial process began in April after contractors hired by the Republican-led state Senate took control of Maricopa County's 2.1 million ballots. The Senate hired cyber security company Cyber Ninjas, which had no experience in official election audits, to lead the review. Cyber Ninjas' CEO had also promoted election conspiracy theories following the 2020 election.
Whatever the report finds, it will not change the results of the 2020 election. President Biden won Arizona by 10,457 votes. Fann has repeatedly insisted that the goal of the review was not to overturn last year's election, but instead to improve election processes in the future.
In recent weeks, thousands of records related to the review have been made public. Some detailed communications with national Republican figures and Trump allies, as well as information about fundraising efforts for the review process and how money was being spent.
The Arizona Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected the Arizona Senate's attempt to keep additional records about the review and its contractors from being released. Lower courts court ruled last month that the records were subject to public records law because the contractors were performing a government function.
"Allowing the legislature to disregard the clear mandate of the (public records law) would undermine the integrity of the legislative process and discourage transparency, which contradicts the purpose of both the immunity doctrine and the (public records law)," Judge Maria Elena Cruz wrote.

Oct 27, 2017
They also adored Barr and Kavanaugh.

There are more important stories in America than being in denial about one's party. Especially when using metaphors like walking in someone else's shoes and giving homeless a home - things that would give a party more credibility were they treated as tangible things.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That makes him smart:

These payments were among $1.7 million in additional government spending triggered by Trump's highly unusual order — which awarded six extra months of Secret Service protection for his four adult children and three top administration officials — according to a Washington Post analysis of new spending documents.
That $1.7 million in extra spending is still tiny in comparison to the Secret Service's $2.4 billion budget.
But, as the records show, Trump's order required the Secret Service to devote agents and money to an unexpected set of people: wealthy adults, with no role in government, whom the agents trailed to ski vacations, weekend houses, a resort in Cabo San Lucas, and business trips abroad.
"Who wouldn't enjoy continuing their free limo service and easy access to restaurant tables?" said Jim Helminski, a former Secret Service executive, who said the decision appeared to show Trump giving a public service as a private benefit to his inner circle. "Even if there was a credible risk to family and associates of Trump these people are now private citizens who can afford to hire some very talented private security firms for their personal protection."
----------------------
By law, the Secret Service is supposed to protect ex-presidents and their spouses for life, and their children until they turn 16. In recent years, former presidents Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and George W. Bush have also ordered agents to protect slightly older, college-aged children for a short time after leaving office.
Trump went far beyond that.
He extended six months of extra protection to his children Trump Jr., 43; Ivanka, 39; Eric, 37; Tiffany, 27; and their spouses — as well as to Mnuchin, Meadows and former national security adviser Robert C. O'Brien.
Trump did not publish any public order announcing the decision at the time, or explaining his rationale.
To estimate the cost of Trump's decision, The Post requested Secret Service records detailing the cost of protecting all seven people. For five of them, The Post received records covering the full six months, showing the costs of buying airplane tickets, renting cars and booking hotel rooms for agents on protective duty. For the other two — Tiffany Trump and O'Brien — The Post examined records covering the first four months, which had previously been obtained by the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.
The records began on Jan. 20, in the first hours after Trump left office.
Among the first payments the Secret Service made was to Trump's own company.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That makes him smart:

These payments were among $1.7 million in additional government spending triggered by Trump's highly unusual order — which awarded six extra months of Secret Service protection for his four adult children and three top administration officials — according to a Washington Post analysis of new spending documents.
That $1.7 million in extra spending is still tiny in comparison to the Secret Service's $2.4 billion budget.
But, as the records show, Trump's order required the Secret Service to devote agents and money to an unexpected set of people: wealthy adults, with no role in government, whom the agents trailed to ski vacations, weekend houses, a resort in Cabo San Lucas, and business trips abroad.
"Who wouldn't enjoy continuing their free limo service and easy access to restaurant tables?" said Jim Helminski, a former Secret Service executive, who said the decision appeared to show Trump giving a public service as a private benefit to his inner circle. "Even if there was a credible risk to family and associates of Trump these people are now private citizens who can afford to hire some very talented private security firms for their personal protection."
----------------------
By law, the Secret Service is supposed to protect ex-presidents and their spouses for life, and their children until they turn 16. In recent years, former presidents Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and George W. Bush have also ordered agents to protect slightly older, college-aged children for a short time after leaving office.
Trump went far beyond that.
He extended six months of extra protection to his children Trump Jr., 43; Ivanka, 39; Eric, 37; Tiffany, 27; and their spouses — as well as to Mnuchin, Meadows and former national security adviser Robert C. O'Brien.
Trump did not publish any public order announcing the decision at the time, or explaining his rationale.
To estimate the cost of Trump's decision, The Post requested Secret Service records detailing the cost of protecting all seven people. For five of them, The Post received records covering the full six months, showing the costs of buying airplane tickets, renting cars and booking hotel rooms for agents on protective duty. For the other two — Tiffany Trump and O'Brien — The Post examined records covering the first four months, which had previously been obtained by the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.
The records began on Jan. 20, in the first hours after Trump left office.
Among the first payments the Secret Service made was to Trump's own company.

And how much of that went to Trump's pocket? Since he charges the max possible for rooms, golf cart rentals, etc.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

apnews.com

Milley: Calls to China were 'perfectly' within scope of job

The top U.S. military officer says calls he made to his Chinese counterpart in the final stormy months of Donald Trump's presidency were “perfectly within the duties and responsibilities” of his job.

I wonder what relevant questions will be asked by clown GOP in the Senate Armed Services Committee.

"Are you sympathetic to the Communist Party of China?" will be a genuine question. If Jim Jordan or Rand Paul are there, flip a coin, it's one of them.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans Mayor Latoya Cantrell has a few articles going around framed in a real shitty manner. She was eating (looks like the Omni RIverfront in the video) and this dude continually harassed her, saying her name loudly over and over, and other shit. She had enough. Fucking right.

www.wwltv.com

Video shows Mayor LaToya Cantrell confront man over comments

A video making the rounds on social media shows an agitated Mayor Cantrell confronting a man she said made disrespectful comments to her.

NEW ORLEANS — Mayor Cantrell said a video that shows her confronting a man inside of a bar more than likely shows her defending herself and she feels she was justified in doing so.
According to Nola. com, the video, which is making the rounds on social media, shows her confronting a man inside the Polo Club Lounge in the Gravier Street hotel Wednesday night.

"When you call my name, you speak to me. You understand? It's me. So LaToya is me. What do you have to say to me?" Cantrell said in the video, raising her voice at times. "You called my name."
Cantrell did ask the man what he wanted to say but repeatedly interrupted him, before finally allowing him to ask about not issuing a mandatory evacuation.
The man asks why she said "there wasn't enough time." Cantrell said they needed 72 hours and the man said that was "all she was gonna get," and she responded that they didn't even have that amount of time.
Nola.com said that eventually members of what appeared to be a security detail for Cantrell intervened.
The exchange - at least the part captured on the video - while heated, did not include any foul language and appeared to just be a raised voice discussion of an issue surrounding Hurricane Ida.
Cantrell said she hasn't seen the video, but did recall the encounter, vividly.
"Very disrespected, "she said was how she felt. "I'm so glad my child wasn't there. I'm not gonna repeat it, but it was a man who disrespected (me) and I spoke up for myself, which is what I was raised to do."

Quoted the whole, very short but important, "article" at the link so give them a click if you want.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Max Rose isn't exactly good but I'd rather take a Dem like him in that seat if he can win than a Republican.

Oct 29, 2017
This is fucking ridiculous.

He was fine with this just a few months ago. He was fine with the bipartisan bill passing if it meant that a reconciliation bill passed too. The progressives had no problem with that, and this was agreed upon. All of a sudden, he's against the former, and Dems have had to deal with centrists and moderates regarding the latter.

I honestly thought it would be the progressives in Congress that would be a thorn in Biden's side for getting things passed due to the feeling that "this bill isn't enough", but they've been relatively okay with things, even when it hasn't gone perfectly. it ended up being the centrists and moderates being an absolute pain in the ass.
It was ALWAYS going to be the moderates and the centrists that fuck things up.

Oct 29, 2017

This seems good, would be a Dem +1 since Oregon is gaining a seat (5D-1R)

Dems made a deal here that the Pubs could be a part of the planning process if they don't break qurom during this year's session. Kicker is that the SOS is a Dem so they were never going to get what they wanted anyways. I say fuck it and tilt the damn map to the Dems as much as possible.

www.wsj.com

California Limits Single-Family Home Zoning

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed legislation allowing the construction of duplexes on most properties with one home, as part of an effort to increase housing supply and lower prices.

Portland removed the single family home zoning rules last year as well. I'm super excited to see more affordable housing going up across the city. It desperately needs it.

And they will always blame the progressives for any losses in election despite the fact that their efforts significantly water down or prevent legislation to pass on which the party can run on
Poodle made a good point in that it's not even moderates necessarily, but centrists. I agree with that. If you label yourself a centrist you are going to have the brain worms that those people typically have. I'm hoping that the progressive wing is big enough now to shrug off those type of bad faith arguments. In the past that would make the Dems run back towards the center with a bad loss. Hopefully those days are over.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I know what you mean, but I think one of my biggest 2020 takeaways was just how much the last four years really weren't about progressivism vs. centrism. At least not nearly as much as four years of online debate suggested.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Donald put out a statement attacking that GOP Ohio Rep who said he won't run in 2022.

Anyway, the same state that is sending covid overflow patients to WA:

Leaders of Idaho's most populous county were deluged with constituent emails last month as they prepared to choose the newest member of a once-obscure regional health board. A former president of the American Academy of Family Physicians who served on the board for 15 years had just been let go over his support for pandemic restrictions.
To many, the clear choice for the replacement during a pandemic was an epidemiologist endorsed by the Idaho Medical Association. But hundreds wrote in for another doctor — backed by the Ada County Republican Party — who has called coronavirus vaccines "fake."
The Republican commissioners of the county — which encompasses the state capital, Boise — said they welcomed Ryan Cole's "outsider" perspective and willingness to "question" established medical guidance. They appointed him over the protests of their lone Democratic colleague.
To critics, Cole's elevation to a public health-care role is an extreme example of GOP-driven resistance to not only mandates but basic medical guidance, as the pandemic overwhelms Idaho's hospitals like never before.
The covid-19 patients filling hospital wards and prompting statewide rationing of care are almost all unvaccinated. Yet Idaho's lieutenant governor recently suggested, falsely, that vaccinated people are more likely to die, and some officials in the heavily conservative state — where many preach "freedom" from government — consider even recommending the shots to be an overreach.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Donald put out a statement attacking that GOP Ohio Rep who said he won't run in 2022.

Anyway, the same state that is sending covid overflow patients to WA:

Leaders of Idaho's most populous county were deluged with constituent emails last month as they prepared to choose the newest member of a once-obscure regional health board. A former president of the American Academy of Family Physicians who served on the board for 15 years had just been let go over his support for pandemic restrictions.
To many, the clear choice for the replacement during a pandemic was an epidemiologist endorsed by the Idaho Medical Association. But hundreds wrote in for another doctor — backed by the Ada County Republican Party — who has called coronavirus vaccines "fake."
The Republican commissioners of the county — which encompasses the state capital, Boise — said they welcomed Ryan Cole's "outsider" perspective and willingness to "question" established medical guidance. They appointed him over the protests of their lone Democratic colleague.
To critics, Cole's elevation to a public health-care role is an extreme example of GOP-driven resistance to not only mandates but basic medical guidance, as the pandemic overwhelms Idaho's hospitals like never before.
The covid-19 patients filling hospital wards and prompting statewide rationing of care are almost all unvaccinated. Yet Idaho's lieutenant governor recently suggested, falsely, that vaccinated people are more likely to die, and some officials in the heavily conservative state — where many preach "freedom" from government — consider even recommending the shots to be an overreach.

WA should stop accepting covid patients from Idaho. It's insane that they are putting themselves at risk, and in the process making it harder for people in WA to get whatever regular operations and care they might need, to cater to a state which ignores basic public health guidance and common sense.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of these "outsider" types have been visiting town meetings in attempts to thwart the establishment of vaccine and mask mandates.
Yup Town meetings, School Boards etc. need to start implementing resident only policies and make sure to keep the nuts out of it. Every single one is being hijacked by online groups calling for large numbers of angry men to show up etc. to intimidate people.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
This article is beyond infuriating

What the fuck
Does the article mention that this guy called the vaccine 'needle rape'? Things are a mess here. I can't believe that we're doing a big indie music festival here next week. Treefort should be canceled and any self respecting band from out of the area should refuse to come. It's just going to cause more spread.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Very interested in the increased activity of Mike Pence starting a 2024 campaign regardless of whether trump wants him too or not. They'll cannibalize each other in a primary and I think enough trump voters would be seriously upset with pence that they'd write in trump or not be motivated to vote.

LOL man what is Pence going to do? Argue with Trump that he's more Trump than Trump is?

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I can't read ACB and Thomas suddenly coming out to strongly defend the court as nonpartisans as anything but them preparing for the blowback once they officially overturn Roe.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How about these "sane constructive conservatives" vote for the actually existing party that's trying to keep the Trump-top-to-bottom party in check while they wait for their fantasy third party to get set up?
I know this is already likely apparent to you, but these types are just the extreme diet versions of the deeply insane Trump huffers they take issue with. At the end of the day they're still 110% stubborn and dogmatic, they just miss the days they could circle jerk to collective conservative fantasies of cruelty rather than circle jerking it to an orange windbag who crawled his way to the top of the pile through shameless political opportunism and open racism. To consider, or god forbid vote for, any other viewpoint than modern conservatism would be vehemently anti-conservative.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Someone in the administration needs to be held accountable for this. It was done so as not to appear weak after the disastrous retreat and suicide bombing, but the result was missing the target and killing 10 people who had nothing to do with any of that. Totally unacceptable.
Yep. Maybe have a solid plan in place before flexing your muscles. Completely ridiculous. Between this and the FDA denying me my booster shot early next year this is a pretty shameful day for the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.