Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
"Don't bother voting in 2024" is the ultimate message of doomposting. Dangerous.

that is where my concern lays. There are many people reading this thread from afar and if all they see is constant doomposting, that can have an effect on the level of engagement. Again, be negative when there is negativity but sometimes its healthier to just wait before proclaiming nothing good will happen.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Don't bother voting in 2024" is the ultimate message of doomposting. Dangerous.
Noone is telling people here not to vote. Posting about things here is not convincing people on this site not to vote. Come on. If Democrats are causing someone not to vote by their inaction and unwillingness to do the things necessary to earn that person's vote after campaigning on them that's on the Democrats and not because some posters here are realists. There are plenty of Democratic politicians in the Senate and Congress saying the same things as many of us in the thread. I don't see anyone in their twitter replies telling them to stop doom posting.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
Biden has a 50% approval rating?

What?
In the Marist College poll, it's 50% approval, 43% disapproval, so a net +7 approval, which is good. It was higher for the previous months, but not terrible.

I'm glad that he is holding that support well among suburban women, and looks like at least breaking 50% with suburban men, so the gains in the suburbs seem to be holding fairly well so far.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Lost two major election cycles in a row, lets see if they can lose a third pushing the same stupid culture war shit that normal voters dont care about. Amazing party lol

Meanwhile, Dems campaign on "we brought the economy back, helped you during the pandemic, finally ended our country's involvement with Afghanistan, and improved our infrastructure".

Good luck countering that, GOP idiots.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Meanwhile, Dems campaign on "we brought the economy back, helped you during the pandemic, finally ended our country's involvement with Afghanistan, and improved our infrastructure".

Doesn't help when we have to fight people on the Left crowing about how Biden "hasnt done anything yet" lol. Only positive thing we can say about the republicans, they can march in order most of the time.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021

The question is do they have to counter it? Maybe not nationally but locally? Repubs have done a successful job in achieving the things they really care about even losing 3 out of the last 4 Presidential elections. They have a 6-3 SCOTUS, tons of judges on the bench, a minority in the Senate but still arent having to worry about voting rights reform, and tax cuts.

for a party that aims to appeal to only whites, its been pretty successful.

Oct 22, 2020
I've said this before, but I really do think Bobo is coming from a sincere place. There are a shitload of bad faith posters in this forum and Bobo isn't one of them.

But Bobo, you're not a realist. You're an extreme pessimist prone to confirmation bias. I don't think you see the difference between the two, and that's what rubs people the wrong way about you.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
I've said this before, but I really do think Bobo is coming from a sincere place. There are a shitload of bad faith posters in this forum and Bobo isn't one of them.

But Bobo, you're not a realist. You're an extreme pessimist prone to confirmation bias. I don't think you see the difference between the two, and that's what rubs people the wrong way about you.

I appreciate the way you phrased that. I agree. I dont question his sincerity and authentic concern but yep, it's the pessimism that masks as realist. I get why it's so difficult in this environment but it's also needed more than ever.

it's almost like the boy who cried wolf. In the end, the boy died and the wolf was indeed real but people tuned him out because all he'd do is say the wolf was there. Bobo isn't lying but he is making it difficult to differentiate the pieces of news that really are dire vs those that he thinks are dire but aren't.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
The question is do they have to counter it? Maybe not nationally but locally? Repubs have done a successful job in achieving the things they really care about even losing 3 out of the last 4 Presidential elections. They have a 6-3 SCOTUS, tons of judges on the bench, a minority in the Senate but still arent having to worry about voting rights reform, and tax cuts.

for a party that aims to appeal to only whites, its been pretty successful.

i think it has been mainly due to Trump's unusual turnout effect. 80% of the time, they have been getting absolutely destroyed in even local races when Trump's not on the ballot (and it isn't a rural area). And, if trends that have been happening so far in special elections and primaries continue, GOP turnout since 2020 has actually gotten worse while Dem turnout has largely remained the same. it doesn't necessarily mean that locally, Dems are going to succeed, but they don't have to worry about Trump driving up turnout.

Long story short, Dems need to fucking vote. it very well could be more difficult to do so because of GOP fuckery, assuming no voting rights legislation passes, but it's not impossible. They want Dems to give up. Don't do that.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
that is where my concern lays. There are many people reading this thread from afar and if all they see is constant doomposting, that can have an effect on the level of engagement. Again, be negative when there is negativity but sometimes its healthier to just wait before proclaiming nothing good will happen.

I will be honest, I used to post a lot more on this thread but have become more of periodic reader in the last few months because it was having an effect on my mental health. I spent WAY too much time reading and posting on this thread in the past few years, especially in 2020 leading up to the election, and I think I just got worn down by the negativity. I am not singling anyone out, and there are plenty of very level-headed posters as well, but I just decided that I did not need to subject myself to be reminded of all of the terrible things that are happening and could possibly be happening in the near future. I am not sticking my head in the sand as I keep myself as informed as can be like always, I just think that some time off from this thread was a necessary corrective for my mental well-being.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
I will be honest, I used to post a lot more on this thread but have become more of periodic reader in the last few months because it was having an effect on my mental health. I spent WAY too much time reading and posting on this thread in the past few years, especially in 2020 leading up to the election, and I think I just got worn down by the negativity. I am not singling anyone out, and there are plenty of very level-headed posters as well, but I just decided that I did not need to subject myself to be reminded of all of the terrible things that are happening and could possibly be happening in the near future. I am not sticking my head in the sand as I keep myself as informed as can be like always, I just think that some time off from this thread was a necessary corrective for my mental well-being.

happy you were able to focus on your mental health first and foremost. It can be difficult at times.

S!lent

Nov 20, 2017

Nailed it.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
I just like discussing political things with rational people, this specific post seems to have a lot of informed rational people. Hard to have that kind of convo these days even on other parts of this site.

Oct 26, 2017

This may not get much attention in the press but if Georgia does ever press charges / indicts Trump on election interference then this could be brought up as a pattern of behavior.

I would LOVE for Trump to be charged with election interference by a state AG or DA. Not necessarily because Trump would goto jail, but it would create a good deterrence going forward for similar behavior and basically kill any legitimate chance for Trump in 2024. I thought the odds were pretty low for one of these state attorneys to have the courage to bring charges, but the more of these stories come out, especially with receipts, then there is a higher chance that one of these state officials will take the leap.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Agree. I hate the latest trend where if its semi positive or positive its: Well that's not enough! And that's not positive enough to warrant celebrating.

If its positive and its announced as something being pursued in the future or something starting its: "Will never happen, will fail, will somehow be blocked"

And if its negative its "See we are fucking doomed".

That sort of posting style that never lets anything hopeful or positive breathe, but is QUICK to amplify anything negative is the stuff that kills the community. Its poison.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Agree. I hate the latest trend where if its semi positive or positive its: Well that's not enough! And that's not positive enough to warrant celebrating.

If its positive and its announced as something being pursued in the future or something starting its: "Will never happen, will fail, will somehow be blocked"

And if its negative its "See we are fucking doomed".

That sort of posting style that never lets anything hopeful or positive breathe, but is QUICK to amplify anything negative is the stuff that kills the community. Its poison.

I barely post here for this reason. I tried to ignore people who were overly negative or knee-jeek critical but there wasn't much left.

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta agree with the last couple of posts.

I'm not advocating this thread be "cheerleading-only" but it seems like it's swung so far in the other direction. I kinda of feel the same way FoxNews has radicalized conservatives /Republicans, Left Twitter is conditioning online progressives / liberals to be in a constant state of depression and futility, and it's spread to this thread. What's crazy is that people here seem more depressed in the first 6 months of a DEM trifecta than in the horrendous Trump years. My worry too is that all that energy we had to oust Trump out of office is just going to turn into apathy.

It's totally fine to be critical of the Biden admin and Dems in Congress. But the utter despair already by some is definitely worrisome and I like i said a few weeks ago it means I have take this thread in small doses lately to avoid getting angry / depressed myself when it's not warranted yet. And please enjoy the small victories without immediately shitting on them.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think you should worry about online leftists driving down Democrat turnout, Dems do enough of that on their own, especially in mid terms. I would just ask people in this thread to not punch left. It's annoying to read people still combining all people of the left as Bernie Bros, especially as the left wing has gained momentum under mostly people of color.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it gets ridiculous when it's Dems aren't doing enough they just don't care. Apparently there's only one reaction and if it's not 100% perfect it's burn it all down. I barely post here and every time I check the thread it's usually doom and gloom. I can't imagine why anyone would wanna participate in that atmosphere. There are alot of genuinely concerning things though I tend to be optimistic and constantly being negative just isn't good for anyone's sanity.

Last edited:

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
I know I'm the new poster but it may be beneficial to have a discussion with the mods of what ideally this thread should and shouldn't look like in terms of not being a cheerleading thread but not a constant barrage of dooms-posting too.

i followed this community from the old site and the poli community there and here has been a place I looked to in order to be informed, not get me too down or too up, a good dose of reality. Wonder what could be done to get back to that.

mods, hope I'm not stepping on any of your feet.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The thread is fine. The doomposting is mostly one person, who also happens to post a lot, some times it's almost every other post here.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I've mostly bowed out of this thread for the exact reasons listed. I've also muted a decent amount of posters and that's helped some. That said, I grow tired of the daily "we're fucked" posts.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I think that we're in a better position now than last year, but things are not fine. But I also don't think that we're fucked either.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I don't think you should worry about online leftists driving down Democrat turnout, Dems do enough of that on their own, especially in mid terms. I would just ask people in this thread to not punch left. It's annoying to read people still combining all people of the left as Bernie Bros, especially as the left wing has gained momentum under mostly people of color.
People think the very small vocal minority of terminally online Twitter leftists can affect turnout are crazy. To me, it feels like a scapegoat to point to when Dems lose an election and then say "We can't do these policies like M4A or Defund the Police because it impacts turnout negatively!" thus kicking the can of any sensible policies down the road even further. We saw it happen in 2016 -- people blamed "BernieBros" for contributing to Hillary losing. When in reality, Hillary sucked and she didn't do enough to get people to vote for her in crucial states. We also saw it in 2020, when every shitty Dem was saying how Defund the police was bad and impacted their numbers. It's always passing the buck, because for some reason we can't criticize Democrats without having liberals/terminal centrists yelling at people like who will rightly criticize Dems when they fuck up. And maybe that's not some liberals intent, but it sure feels like it. Stop focusing on complaining about a small group of people, focus on putting politicians under pressure and organizing more (when you can).

I'm not a doomposter at all. I absolutely dislike constantly cynicism. It is unhealthy and unproductive. Biden's done some good things, but he can always do more and better things is my way of thinking. And I see nothing wrong with having high expectations.

Oct 26, 2017
i followed this community from the old site and the poli community there and here has been a place I looked to in order to be informed, not get me too down or too up, a good dose of reality. Wonder what could be done to get back to that.

The old place was mostly informative because at times it resembled a RSS feed with the highlights of the days news from various news sites and and a few blogs. Then the community itself would add commentary or discussion on articles if warranted. But a few years ago we switched to primarily re-posting Twitter for our daily news aggregate. The problem isn't just Left Twitter but news journalist as well. Before we would repost the actual headline and some paragraph excerpts from a Politico article. But now we repost the Tweet of the article and many cases the journalist / editor will often create a sensationalist Tweet to amp up the retweets. But when you read the actual article, it barely resembles the tweet. But the tweet is what gets repeated and often what drives the discussion around here.

We also repost Twitter journalist and personalities who are giving their own commentary on the daily news events. So before our community even has a chance to form an opinion and make our own commentary, the Tweet or tweet thread has already steered us down a doom-posting path.

I know I sound like a cranky old man, waving cane at clouds, but I do blame Twitter for the current doldrums around here. I don't mind analysis and there are some smart people on Twitter. But maybe it would help if we re-posted / quoted directly from the source article when there's a notable news event. That might help in a few cases. But then again maybe this is just the way we consume media nowadays and maybe there's no point in fighting it.

Jan 13, 2020
I don't think I've ever seen an online politics forum where discourse didn't devolve into a circlejerk. Truth of the matter is the people who post the most influence the discussion the most, doesn't matter if they're well informed or reasonable. So you end up driving away the casual moderate crowd, who don't need the posting dopamine as much as others do, and you're left with narcissists, demagogues, and people with mental health issues.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
And since those people jump all over anyone with any kind of opinion they don't like or even someone just playing devils advocate clamoring for them to get banned we have an excessive amount of petulant bans that prevent anyone from trying to have a conversation with the banned person and ask them for a further explanation or just civilly challenge their opinion and move on.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
At this point I'll be happy if we don't get swept out of both chambers of congress by 2024.

Also this thread is like less than 20 people at most posting regularly, the stakes are about as low as it gets regardless of what's posted here folks. It's not that serious.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind a little doomposting here and there. It's easy to get frustrated by all the bullshit in US politics.

What I do mind is when people suggest that we just shouldn't vote. That's the most self-defeating thing ever.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's rather hard to stay optimistic when all the things you deeply care about end up getting curbstomped by Republicans through illegitimate and legitimate means and then you got windbags like Manchin standing in the way of progress. We actually do have a trifecta, and it is incredibly frustrating to see Democrats not wield the power that is rightfully their's. If a voting rights bill does not get passed, we will have lot more Bobos.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Shouldn't Ivanka be getting chatged too? I remember thinking that illegal pay structure for Weis sounded familiar. Ivanka was doing the same.

"Allen Weisselberg is in trouble for collecting "non-employee compensation" while company CFO — similar to a reported arrangement involving Ivanka Trump."

m.huffpost.com

Pay Arrangement Named In Trump Org. Indictment Linked To Ivanka Trump

Allen Weisselberg is in trouble for collecting "non-employee compensation" while company CFO — similar to a reported arrangement involving Ivanka Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.