Status
Not open for further replies.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
They'll be counted, no conspiracy theories needed. But some will be counted weeks after election night and when they do, Trump will scream and cry rigging. That much is for certain.

It's not guaranteed.

States like Wisconsin, North Carolina, Texas, Florida, and Georgia will legally fight for the right to discard thousands of ballots for frivolous reasons.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Guys. If Biden loses Minnesota then he already lost Wisconsin and Michigan. Minnesota is not going to flip the election and you shouldn't freak out about one poll whose numbers are all over the place.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
So if future polling shows Biden lead getting narrower in Minnesota then it's fair to say that the law and order bullshit from trump and the fascist militarization of streets is paying dividends... at least in that state. Of course that's still far from certain but it's very sad to see people potentially falling victims to fear mongering after all these years.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Guys. If Biden loses Minnesota then he already lost Wisconsin and Michigan. Minnesota is not going to flip the election and you shouldn't freak out about one poll whose numbers are all over the place.
But things change from election to election. None of the authoritarian nonsense that is happening in MN is happening in MI and WI.

Not saying a change is likely, but things can happen.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
@kylegriffin1
Nadler: "The Department has spread disinformation about voter fraud, failed to enforce voting rights laws, and attempted to change the census rules to flaunt the plain text of the Constitution—all in the apparent attempt to assist the President's reelection."
11:45 AM · Jul 28, 2020

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
But things change from election to election. None of the authoritarian nonsense that is happening in MN is happening in MI and WI.

Not saying a change is likely, but things can happen.

Generally changes are at least consistent along likewise electorate. The Minnesota number isn't consistent with other Midwest gains. Minnesota's electorate is not substantially different than the rest of the Midwest. And there has been no evidence that the George Floyd protests which are not a localized event somehow are only negatively effecting Democrats in one state.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Crooked Media podcast with Mehdi Hasan is pretty good.

I dont know why Hasan is still with intercept.

Oct 25, 2017
Generally changes are at least consistent along likewise electorate. The Minnesota number isn't consistent with other Midwest gains. Minnesota's electorate is not substantially different than the rest of the Midwest. And there has been no evidence that the George Floyd protests which are not a localized event somehow are only negatively effecting Democrats in one state.
Plus the protests have pretty much died down. Things are not getting crazy like Portland and Seattle.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
A reliably blue state like MN flipping red for a traditional, classic conservative is one thing. A reliable blue state possibly flipping for Donald fucking Trump is seriously mind blowing.
This was how I felt when he won Michigan four years ago after the state never went red for a presidential candidate in 28 years before that, in spite of the GOP typically having a stranglehold on the state government here. Thinking about that night will never not sicken me, and neither things going much better in 2018's midterms nor the polling for this year's election have done anything to assuage my resentment for the mouthbreathers who voted him in.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
This was how I felt when he won Michigan four years ago after the state never went red for a presidential candidate in 28 years before that, in spite of the GOP typically having a stranglehold on the state government here. Thinking about that night will never not sicken me, and neither things going much better in 2018's midterms nor the polling for this year's election have done anything to assuage my resentment for the mouthbreathers who voted him in.
Yeah, as a fellow Michigander I'm at least glad our state appears to have come to its senses.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
"Trump Virus"

It's true. If the US had Germany's per capita death rate, and there's absolutely no reason it shouldn't, I mean Germany has a lot of dense cities, more public transport, and multiple borders, then 115K more Americans would be alive today. That's on Trump.
Yep. Germany seems like the fairest reference point for what we realistically could have hoped to achieve.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Minnesota going red is exactly the kind of unexpected calamitous development I would expect for 2020 so I'm just going to assume it's either going to happen or be ridiculously close.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Minnesota going red is exactly the kind of unexpected calamitous development I would expect for 2020 so I'm just going to assume it's either going to happen or be ridiculously close.
Correct me if I am wrong but this is the ONLY poll that has shown it that close, no? I'm willing to put money on Minnesota not going red. If anything, I think Biden will be stronger here than Clinton was.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017

Exactly. I had predicted MI, PA, and WI to go Red in 2016 and was laughed out of the old place. I understand we are working in very different circumstances but do not underestimate the white freight going on in Minneapolis suburbs right now. If you listened to them they would tell you that Minneapolis is descending into chaos. Any movement on the police disbandment in Minneapolis before the election will send major ripple effects throughout the state.

Romney and Trump managed the same # of votes in 2012 and 2016 in MN. I can see Trump growing slightly due to meaningful improvements in SW Minnesota (which shifts in conjunction with Steve King's racist ass Iowa border) and Northern MN (the boaters Trump is talking to), and movements in the wealthy suburbs of Edina, Eden Prairie, Wayzata, etc. due to the George Floyd problems. Biden will not excite the liberal hippies (who have grown exponentially in the past 5 years) of Minneapolis and deflate turnout. It could cause a perfect storm.

I understand what I'm saying is not rooted in polls right now but sometimes you can go a layer deeper and try and analyze what the hell is actually going on the ground.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Hope everyone treats this sack of shit like Lee just did, giving him even a second to spew bullshit is just a net loss.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I am wrong but this is the ONLY poll that has shown it that close, no? I'm willing to put money on Minnesota not going red. If anything, I think Biden will be stronger here than Clinton was.
no no no we are all gonna piss ourselves over one outlier poll and claim the sky is falling

are you even part of poliera? smdh

/s

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
So... What's the answer?

Telling the people fighting for their lives to shut up till November? Because of a poll and feeling?

I mean I get it, it's the same logic as what happened with the DNC platform. But the Dems will need to pivot at worst, not the protesters.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So... What's the answer?

Telling the people fighting for their lives to shut up till November? Because of a poll and feeling?

I mean I get it, it's the same logic as what happened with the DNC platform. But the Dems will need to pivot at worst, not the protesters.
The Democratic party will want nothing more.
They are protesting the mayor and the city in Minnesota, and they are controlled by Democrats.
The party is trying really hard to make it about Trump, but policing and first and foremost a municipal issue, and most cities in the US are under Democratic control.
The party has for the most part defended their shitty mayors, because that's what they always do.

I think they can be persuaded to stop with this shit, but I think we have to demand it from them. Left to their own devices I think they will protect their own, which is the first instinct of most politicians.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer says Democrats are willing to agree to a new coronavirus stimulus package that doesn't include an extension of an extra $600 in weekly unemployment benefits, saying the party's position is not "$600 or bust." https://t.co/ISbgp7qAI0

"Look, it's not $600 or bust. ... (House Speaker Nancy) Pelosi said the other day, which I thought was a great line: 'We don't have red lines, we have values.' We're going into these negotiations with values," Hoyer, a Maryland Democrat, told CNN's John Berman on "New Day." He continued: "To say that $600 or nothing, no, that's not where we are. We're prepared to discuss this. But we're also not prepared, however, to let down the American people, to let down the states, the cities, the local governments who hire people, who are meeting this pandemic's crisis, including health personnel."

But the congressman also conceded that the current $600 federal unemployment enhancement could serve as a disincentive to go back to work, a point Republicans have frequently made, pointing to research, including a Congressional Budget Office estimate that found that five out of six recipients would receive more in unemployment benefits than from returning to work should the $600 benefit be extended through January.

"I think that's an argument that is -- has some validity to it. And we ought to deal with that. And there is a way to deal with that, but not this way, not cold turkey," Hoyer said.

$600 was probably going to get negotiated down, sure but don't give that shit argument credence saying people are going to be too lazy to get back to work when we have evidence the labor markets aren't impacted by that shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope everyone treats this sack of shit like Lee just did, giving him even a second to spew bullshit is just a net loss.

Seriously. Gets asked a yes or no question: well the other day I was talking to a black officer and...

This whole format is shit. 5 minutes isn't enough time to get anything done. It doesn't let any actual conversation or set up happen. You get your point across and get them to agree with your leading statements and move on.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
So... What's the answer?

Don't freak out about a poll that shows Biden ahead in a state. If you or anyone is worried about something, funnel that energy into something productive other than fretting about it. I understand Dr. Feel Good bringing up their worry, they provide good insight into a potential situation in MN and we can discuss those issues, but we have to put it into context where MN turning red means we have already lost the election.

Our most recent point of polling and elections show MN further to the left than WI and MI, both in 2016 and 2018.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
If anybody is wondering why some liberals get excited about Lincoln Project content, just watch today's weak ass Democrats and their ineffectual, unprepared, pathetic questioning of Barr while Nadler lets Republicans run roughshod over them...

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I had to guess, it could be negotiated that it's $600 for August, then gets reduced each consecutive month for the rest of the year. Like 500 for September, the 100 less each month after that.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
If anybody is watching this Barr hearing and still doesn't think they're going to do everything they can (including uninhibited Russian interference with voting systems and blatant suppression of mail in vote) to steal the election, you need to wisen up.

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
If anybody is wondering why some liberals get excited about Lincoln Project content, just watch today's weak ass Democrats and their ineffectual, unprepared, pathetic questioning of Barr while Nadler lets Republicans run roughshod over them...
Yeah, but we have to love the Dems and trust they will do good things... or some such garbage spewed by weak willed moderates, lol. This administration will never be held to task and the next Nazi Republican in office will finish the job Trump started. See you in the death camps.

Edit:
Lol, I didn't even see that Steny Hoyer shit. What a bunch of feckless cunts.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is lovely right now. Minnesota going red, the Russians are going to hack all of our voter rolls and the USPS is going to throw away millions of mail-in ballots, and the next Republican is gonna throw us all in death camps while the weak-ass Democrats do nothing.

This feels a bit like an OT thread at the moment.

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot_20200728-094202_Samsung_Internet.png

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is lovely right now. Minnesota going red, the Russians are going to hack all of our voter rolls and the USPS is going to throw away millions of mail-in ballots, and the next Republican is gonna throw us all in death camps while the weak-ass Democrats do nothing.

Many people don't know how to handle consistently good political news in terms of polling and other indicators, and so look for ways to justify their eternal sense of pessimism and apathy.

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020

Look! It's one of those darling moderates...

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

1) MN isn't going red.
2) Russia already DID hack our voter rolls. This has been covered numerous times. Congress refused to put any extra effort into security despite repeated attempts. It is a valid discussion topic.
3) Nobody said the post office would throw away millions of ballots. However, numerous democrat politicians are on social media already pleading with voters to get ballots sent weeks before the deadline specifically because of the new postmaster general and his agenda to delay mail.

You can hand wave this stuff away as nonsense if several in government weren't already sounding some warning alarms, but they have been for a while now. Valid discussion topics.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017

$600 was probably going to get negotiated down, sure but don't give that shit argument credence saying people are going to be too lazy to get back to work when we have evidence the labor markets aren't impacted by that shit.

Will they argue for anything?? There is no reason to say this before negotiations even get going. What an absolutely garbage statement, even going into the "people won't want to work" nonsense.

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
1) MN isn't going red.
2) Russia already DID hack our voter rolls. This has been covered numerous times. Congress refused to put any extra effort into security despite repeated attempts. It is a valid discussion topic.
3) Nobody said the post office would throw away millions of ballots. However, numerous democrat politicians are on social media already pleading with voters to get ballots sent weeks before the deadline specifically because of the new postmaster general and his agenda to delay mail.

You can hand wave this stuff away as nonsense if several in government weren't already sounding some warning alarms, but they have been for a while now. Valid discussion topics.
Dude consistently shit talks OT threads but somehow avoids a ban. Tries to backseat moderate this thread too. Oh well. Not much else to do but Ignore them at this point.

Will they argue for anything?? There is no reason to say this before negotiations even get going. What an absolutely garbage statement, even going into the "people won't want to work" nonsense.
The consistent way in which they shoot themselves in the foot is impressive.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017

It's been an OT thread ever since the purge.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please get someone other than Hoyer in the second highest House position, please? He is literally all the things people think Pelosi is.

Status
Not open for further replies.