• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
well shit, I didn't even know the state charges against Manafort were dismissed in the first place.
Yeah, iirc the court dismissed them because the federal charges made them redundant. I think NY passed a law allowing state charges to ignore any double jeopardy from federal charges but there are pending challenges to that law.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like Trump has called Jenna Ellis' cellphone at the Pennsylvania thing. He was audible saying "let them finish their testimony" and calling it fantastic; sounds like he plans to say something after the testimony finishes since she was introducing him prior to him saying let them finish.

So that'll be interesting.

Tweet so it's not just my hearsay:

Andrew Feinberg
@AndrewFeinberg

Jenna Ellis is trying to bring @realDonaldTrump into the hearing via her mobile phone. He wants to keep listening to the "witnesses"
11:27 AM · Nov 25, 2020

They wanted to bring him on right after the people talking about how computer voting is unfair to the elderly.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea they have nothing. Also wasn't Trump upset at Rudy because of how he has been handling this stuff? Yet he still gets trotted out to say bs

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone have any recommendations for reading or podcasts or videos discussing rent control and it's effects?

Before the recent elections (which by my understanding of time and events was approximately 30 years ago), some friends and I met online to discuss California's ballot props. The two biggest debates we all had was regarding the Rent Control prop and the prop regarding affirmative action. Nearly all of my friends were against rent control, and wanted the CA law banning rent control to remain in effect, and nearly all cited a Freakonomics podcast episode as to why Rent Control is bad. I am listening to that now.

But if anyone else has any other recommendations, for or against, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

From everything I've read, which includes a lot of arguments about rent control on Twitter, and other things, is basically, the best form of "rent control' isn't the old school type of rent control that locks rent forever, because that actually does hurt construction and increases rents for other people.

The best kind is basically limiting rent increases to a percentage + inflation. For instance, Oregon recently passed something that limits increases to 7% + CPI. Now, that might be too high for some more left-leaning people, but it's better than absolutely nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously can't believe I'm watching a YouTube stream of a fake government hearing being held in a hotel ballroom where a lawyer is holding an iPhone up to a microphone so the President of the United States can spew the same garbage he's been saying on twitter for three weeks.

You can kind of tell Trump has missed the chance to sermonize, and they did find a way to protect him from any kind of press questions, though.

Then he hangs up and the guy running the hearing:
"I think that what you just heard guarantees that a hundred years from now, that this is the most important public hearing held by this Senate committee."

2020 can be over now

SlightlyLive

QA
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
I seriously can't believe I'm watching a YouTube stream of a fake government hearing being held in a hotel ballroom where a lawyer is holding an iPhone up to a microphone so the President of the United States can spew the same garbage he's been saying on twitter for three weeks.

You can kind of tell Trump has missed the chance to sermonize, and they did find a way to protect him from any kind of press questions, though.
He's hiding in his bunker. Genuinely terrified of the press.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

Simple as that! All they need is one judge to overturn the entire election--problem solved!

I seriously believe he has no clue how the judicial system works.

Everybody's vote matters.

Oct 25, 2017
Jenna Ellis is now telling the legislature that they can take the power to appoint electors back from the SoS.

So, yep, telling them to steal the election because she (erroneously, I believe) thinks they can revert how electors are allocated on the fly, "outside the purview of the litigation that we are now bringing."

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Jenna Ellis is now telling the legislature that they can take the power to appoint electors back from the SoS.

So, yep, telling them to steal the election because she (erroneously, I believe) thinks they can revert how electors are allocated on the fly, "outside the purview of the litigation that we are now bringing."

I don't believe they can, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of how the system works.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Trump is so accustomed to the judicial system working in his favor that this must be quite a shock.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I don't like thinking this way, but if democrats were trying to overturn an election in this way, what crimes would the GOP be working on charging them with? At what point does this enter into treason territory? I just think people like Jenna Ellis should be made an example of. At the very least none of these people should be allowed to practice law ever again.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
This is a great thread about gun control-living with the r*rals, this is all 100% true, people out here feel squished between the extreme absolutism of right-wing crazies and the cultural disdain of urbanites when it comes to rifles and shotguns.

Handguns aren't really something that lights people up all that much. Tacticool is creepy af. Everyone hates hates hates people that break existing firearm usage/purchase/ownership laws.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

Biden: "This Thanksgiving we need to come together to combat the virus and save lives."

Trump: "PENNSYLVANIA RIGGED THE DOMINION RADICAL LEFT FAKE ELECTION"

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

There are literally no laws in the state of MI or PA that would allow them to do this.

All a ruse to get his rubes to send him more money before he leaves office.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
There are literally no laws in the state of MI or PA that would allow them to do this.

All a ruse to get his rubes to send him more money before he leaves office.
exactly, they can only send their own electors if the election results are not certified. They have been certified, so it's over.

It's just another grift for money, and for Guiliani to get more time in the spotlight.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Trump is so accustomed to the judicial system working in his favor that this must be quite a shock.

He's completely confused because he spent four years helping Mitch pack the courts with judges. His assumption all along was that these would be "his" judges, and that they would just rule on anything he wanted. (so did all the doomposters, by the way)

Now it isn't happening, quite the opposite, and I guarantee you he is asking everyone in earshot what the point of appointing all these judges was.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is a great thread about gun control-living with the r*rals, this is all 100% true, people out here feel squished between the extreme absolutism of right-wing crazies and the cultural disdain of urbanites when it comes to rifles and shotguns.

Handguns aren't really something that lights people up all that much. Tacticool is creepy af. Everyone hates hates hates people that break existing firearm usage/purchase/ownership laws.

My two worries about this are -

1. Pushing on handguns will allow the Right to push the idea us evil libs want suburbanites to have no protection in their own homes from the hordes of criminals obviously running the streets, even if we say fudd guns are OK.

2. The under 40 or 45 gun culture has become fully boogalooized, and going after handguns will be seen the same as going after any gun.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's completely confused because he spent four years helping Mitch pack the courts with judges. His assumption all along was that these would be "his" judges, and that they would just rule on anything he wanted. (so did all the doomposters, by the way)

Now it isn't happening, quite the opposite, and I guarantee you he is asking everyone in earshot what the point of appointing all these judges was.
Yup. It's what I've been saying for awhile and why I don't expect him to do shit in Georgia. In his mind, he's Don Vito, with all these judges in his pocket like so many nickels and dimes, but he's not getting anything for it. He's probably furious.

He doesn't give a shit about conservative jurisprudence. Hell, he probably thinks jurisprudence is some older woman suing him for harassment. What he does care about is "his" judges aren't helping him and Mitch (among others) having fucked him because of how much they emphasized judges and how he's gotten nothing out of it.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Democratic Congressman Anthony Brindisi took the lead and is ahead by just 13 votes in NY-22, wow. This race is insane...

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
It is my Great Honor to announce that General Michael T. Flynn has been granted a Full Pardon. Congratulations to @GenFlynn and his wonderful family, I know you will now have a truly fantastic Thanksgiving!
4:08 PM · Nov 25, 2020

Oct 25, 2017
Well gee if the machine processing ballots is faulty, clearly the only remedy is just throw out the whole election and do a do over.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
My two worries about this are -

1. Pushing on handguns will allow the Right to push the idea us evil libs want suburbanites to have no protection in their own homes from the hordes of criminals obviously running the streets, even if we say fudd guns are OK.

2. The under 40 or 45 gun culture has become fully boogalooized, and going after handguns will be seen the same as going after any gun.

Shotguns are better for the rural/exurban normie looking for home defense-more incapacitating power, far easier to use with little training, and far less risk of a bad outcome of theft/resale, tragic accidents, or suicide.

The boogaloo types are comically easy to paint as right wing extremists and hate groups, because they admit to being right wing extremists and openly spout hate speech. Your average rural gun owner doesn't see an ally in the boog types, they see Ruby Ridge or a half-blasted Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building.

edit: even people that normally wouldn't own a gun, or had never owned a gun before, own low powered rifles and shotguns in rural areas. Varmint control (keep the rabbits out of the garden), filling deer tags, and in case a wounded animal winds up on their property or is involved in a road accident and needs a merciful end.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's interesting how many of Clown's colleagues are in jail or needing pardons, compared to the total of zero such people in Obama's admin. Something something bout a swamp...

Status
Not open for further replies.