Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wouldn't it be lol?

I know it won't be Obama but I wish it would be him to put an end to Sanders for good. The sooner Sanders goes away the better it will be for the progressive wing of the party.
It would be a fucking disaster if it's Obama. The schism would erupt. Luckily he's smart enough to wait until Biden gets a majority.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City

I wish they would tell him to stop complaining and trying to create a "narrative" and instead adopt some progressive policy.

Its the god damn Hillary playbook all over again and it's short sighted. If he wants to drown out their complaints don't complain about them. He should compromise on some policy and show them they shouldn't complain and if they do they still complain they'll be seen as the bad agents he is saying they are. The reason it is short sighted is a prolonged justifiable primary is not strengthing his position.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they would tell him to stop complaining and trying to create a "narrative" and instead adopt some progressive policy.

Its the god damn Hillary playbook all over again and it's short sighted. If he wants to drown out their complaints don't complain about them. He should compromise on some policy and show them they shouldn't complain and if they do they still complain they'll be seen as the bad agents he is saying they are. The reason it is short sighted is a prolonged justifiable primary is not strengthing his position.
What in the hell are you even talking about.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That sure worked for Warren!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, what seemed likely to be the case is the case- the virus is all over, but it's just not been noticed because if you don't get hit hard by it it's not obvious.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
twitter.com

Katie Rogers on Twitter

“The moment I knew”

yF37xJe.png

From Feb 4:

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
There's no chance Obama endorses this early. Then he plays right into the narrative that he's been sneaking around behind the scenes scheming against Bernie. That would absolutely enrage the Bernie Bros and really may cause a lot of them to stay home in November.

Think it'll be Warren.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did this really all happen because rich people in China think anteater scales keep their dick hard or something? That's what Vox told me.

Oct 25, 2017
inthesetimes.com

The Young Turks Union Fight Gets Nastier With Charges of Retaliatory Firing, Withholding Raises

Investigative reporting about corporate malfeasance and government wrongdoing, analysis of national and world affairs, and cultural criticism that matters.

A contentious union campaign by the staff of the progressive news network The Young Turks (TYT) is growing even more combative. Today, the union filed two separate unfair labor practice charges alleging that the company and its CEO, the popular liberal media figure Cenk Uygur, withheld wage increases and bonuses from employees as a result of the union drive, and that they fired an employee as retaliation for union activity—charges that Uygur denies.

On February 12, about 15 TYT employees announced their intention to unionize with IATSE. They expected to gain voluntary recognition from their famously liberal employer through a simple check of union cards, but were spurned. The company insisted on holding a secret ballot election at work in order to recognize the union, a tactic typically considered to be anti-union. (Uygur disputed this, telling In These Times that "Voluntary recognition means any recognition process outside of an NLRB election." But card check is generally understood to be what unions mean by "voluntary recognition.")

In a tense staff meeting held the same day, Uygur urged staffers not to unionize, saying a union would be unsustainable given TYT's perilous financial position. Uygur's position on the union has been widely criticized as hypocritical, coming from a man who made his name as a champion of progressive causes. TYT bills itself as the largest online news show in the world, with more than 200 million views per month.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Sorry, I can't read anything you just posted for some reason!

It is much more serious than people assume, and only part of it is the virus itself.

There was a VERY, VERY high level executive meeting this afternoon to discuss the issue, and two big points are:

1.) People are beginning to panic and not go places out of fear of exposure. This includes healthcare employees who need to be at work

2.) It's not that enough healthcare supplies (N95 masks, etc) can't be made, it's that the vast majority of manufacturing of these products occurs in China and China is simply not allowing them to leave.

#2 is something that could be catastrophic if this pandemic were something worse than COVID-19.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Did this really all happen because rich people in China think anteater scales keep their dick hard or something? That's what Vox told me.
If you are talking about the fact that these types of intraspecies viruses originated from "wet markets" in China that have horrendous sanitary conditions and containment of various types of animals then yes that is true. COVID-19 originated from bats and then crossed into another animal and then made it into a human as did the SARS virus before it. Stuff like swine and bird flus are something that happen annually in China specifically due to these wet markets.

This is all a result of poor sanitary/hygiene practices when it comes to live animals and why it keeps happening year after year in China.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
It is much more serious than people assume, and only part of it is the virus itself.

There was a VERY, VERY high level executive meeting this afternoon to discuss the issue, and two big points are:

1.) People are beginning to panic and not go places out of fear of exposure. This includes healthcare employees who need to be at work

2.) It's not that enough healthcare supplies (N95 masks, etc) can't be made, it's that the vast majority of manufacturing of these products occurs in China and China is simply not allowing them to leave.

#2 is something that could be catastrophic if this pandemic were something worse than COVID-19.
Is the virus even that bad though? I may sound ignorant but unless you are old and/or have a compromised immune system you will get over the virus should you get it. To your point, the public panic and paranoia are a whole other thing and it's causing a bit of a problem, I see this first hand between friends, family and work.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Ahh jeez what happens when this spreads everywhere. Is it a situation whe
What in the hell are you even talking about.

His quote is feeding into the narrative Bernie and his sideare looking for a bloody fight. They very well might be, but for a candidate who talks about going to the other side of the aisle to make deals with Republicans. It's weird to see him forecast that as if Bernie and his constituents are hostage takers. Especially because just like Bernie's mistake with Warren.... you really are going to want that support later.

That sure worked for Warren!

Biden is different than Warren he is damn near inevitable and needs their support once Bernie is gone. Warren was trying to co-opt them into choosing her over Bernie when Bernie is still an option.

Yes Bernie's supporters in a lot of cases are a personality cult, but for the people who support Bernie for his policies. Biden needs to lay the ground work that those Bernie constituents come over to him. Hillary in 2016 whole approach to them was hubris because she thought Trump was a joke and had a large majority without them. My argument is Biden authentically go for the vote of the whole big tent.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the virus even that bad though? I may sound ignorant but unless you are old and/or have a compromised immune system you will get over the virus should you get it. To your point, the public panic and paranoia are a whole other thing and it's causing a bit of a problem, I see this first hand between friends, family and work.
The issue is that it causes serious pneumonia when it gets really bad, and with older people (especially in retirement communities like florida) this could be a big problem with overloading things like ICUs.

We need to contain the spread in order to conserve time as a resource.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Mulvaney thing was a joke! I can't stop laughing.

Special Envoy to Northern Ireland hahahaha

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that it causes serious pneumonia when it gets really bad, and with older people (especially in retirement communities like florida) this could be a big problem with overloading things like ICUs.
But *how often* does it get "really bad" and for who? Older people? Us? Anyone?

The article quoting the Chinese doctors saying it's like a combination of SARS and AIDS in the worst cases was pretty terrifying, but I am assuming that this implies worst case for the most vulnerable among us... which is still awful, but not end of the fucking world awful.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

The flu has a fatality rate of about .1%. It kills about 30,000 people a year in the US and we have a vaccine for it.

Coronavirus has a fatality rate that isn't exactly known, but is estimated to be around 2%. There is no vaccine. How many deaths is that?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The flu has a fatality rate of about .1%. It kills about 30,000 people a year in the US and we have a vaccine for it.

Coronavirus has a fatality rate that isn't exactly known, but is estimated to be around 2%. There is no vaccine. How many deaths is that?
Without factoring in the lack of the vaccine we're looking at 720k people already using those numbers

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
But... the last time they kept a cruise ship from docking to stave off the virus more people got infected than would have otherwise.
And it didn't appear to prevent the disease reaching the US.

You keep the sick people separate from the people who aren't symptomatic yet. You test all those people, and then put the ones who aren't sick in a separate quarantine just in case. There are literally procedures for this stuff that aren't complicated.

You don't keep everyone on a goddamn ship.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If it is infecting as much as we fear...hundreds of thousands of dead. (in the US.)

Millions worldwide.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

You keep the sick people separate from the people who aren't symptomatic yet. You test all those people, and then put the ones who aren't sick in a separate quarantine just in case. There are literally procedures for this stuff that aren't complicated.

Yep. God I fucking hate this admin. Gonna get thousands killed due to incompetence and ego

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh jeez what happens when this spreads everywhere. Is it a situation whe

His quote is feeding into the narrative Bernie and his sideare looking for a bloody fight. They very well might be, but for a candidate who talks about going to the other side of the aisle to make deals with Republicans. It's weird to see him forecast that as if Bernie and his constituents are hostage takers. Especially because just like Bernie's mistake with Warren.... you really are going to want that support later.

Biden is different than Warren he is damn near inevitable and needs their support once Bernie is gone. Warren was trying to co-opt them into choosing her over Bernie when Bernie is still an option.

Yes Bernie's supporters in a lot of cases are a personality cult, but for the people who support Bernie for his policies. Biden needs to lay the ground work that those Bernie constituents come over to him. Hillary in 2016 whole approach to them was hubris because she thought Trump was a joke and had a large majority without them. My argument is Biden authentically go for the vote of the whole big tent.

I mean... Bernie as already shit slinging hard from trying to tie random shit DNC ppl as his surrogates to hurt him to telling his event that Biden is anti abortion, this isn't Biden's narrative it's the new reality. Bernie is going to stick this shit out and try to bloody Biden when it's clear it's over.

Biden's camp has been reaching out to Warren and Bernie supporters non stop since Tuesday.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's... really bad.
When we brought up the Spanish flu from the 1900s we weren't being hyperbolic.

Granted medical tech is better now...but we're gonna see a lot of dead worldwide and the economy is gonna take a big hit. Considering how the government has bungled the response the economic blow-back will be substantial.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Nothing was going to prevent that due to Trump not giving a fuck.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
3.5% fatality rate is kinda insane for something that spreads as rapidly person to person as this does. It also seems to inflict long term lung damage on top of you being able to get COVID-19 again even if you had it before.

If as many people in the US had the COVID-19 virus as they did the flu.... there would be a death toll in the MILLIONS in the USA alone.

The bigger issue with the virus is how quickly it spreads across regions and populations rather than how fatal it is (it is much, much less fatal than the Ebola virus for example).

Honestly this is spreading faster than any viral infection in modern history. We went from 10 cases to 300 cases in the US within a span of 6 days and the crazy thing is that it's in ALL parts of the USA, from Hawaii, to the midwest, west, northeast and the south.

Though it's probably to quick to compare it too the Spanish flu as of now. Spanish flu affected a THIRD of the entire world population at the time. We have much superior healthcare now so I don't think we would ever be in a situation where 2 billion people have been affected by it... though if that happened... uhhh...

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But *how often* does it get "really bad" and for who? Older people? Us? Anyone?

The article quoting the Chinese doctors saying it's like a combination of SARS and AIDS in the worst cases was pretty terrifying, but I am assuming that this implies worst case for the most vulnerable among us... which is still awful, but not end of the fucking world awful.
We don't really know. We know it's worse with age and with compromised immune systems. We are seeing different outcomes in different countries as well, depending on income/infrastructure.

I may end up taking a road trip with my grandfather up to his cabin in the middle of nowhere if it gets bad.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
3.5 percent is probably too high. But thanks to things like the ship quarantine we can safely say it's more than one percent.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't really know. We know it's worse with age and with compromised immune systems. We are seeing different outcomes in different countries as well, depending on income/infrastructure.

I may end up taking a road trip with my grandfather up to his cabin in the middle of nowhere if it gets bad.
I no longer believe it's a matter of if.

Status
Not open for further replies.