• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Oct 30, 2017
It seemed like yesterday we were getting some hopium. Public opinion was against the Republicans and it looked like we might, at the very least push this thing beyond SOTU. Now it seems like folks are back in doom and gloom mode. What happened between last night and today that shifted the mood?

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
I think our path to a Senate Majority is basically winning ME, AZ and CO with a tie breaking VP. I don't see any other path.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If Biden is on the ballot, Tillis will be in hot water to hold his seat.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It seemed like yesterday we were getting some hopium. Public opinion was against the Republicans and it looked like we might, at the very least push this thing beyond SOTU. Now it seems like folks are back in doom and gloom mode. What happened between last night and today that shifted the mood?
WH threatened a lengthy legal fight and the GOP backed down like the cowards they are.

I think our path to a Senate Majority is basically winning ME, AZ and CO with a tie breaking VP. I don't see any other path.
If we're winning AL, I'm pretty sure we're over the line anyways.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I hope there's a 50/50 vote. Screws him both ways. Either he sides with Dems and draws the ire of the GOP or he lets it die and energizes the electorate to the idea of court stacking.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I had a rare Facebook blow up over this very issue. A person I know came out and said that if Sanders isn't the nominee she was voting 3rd party or not at all. She lives in Florida. I lost it on her, and told her that she was spiteful to the point of idiocy, and that the kids in cages would understand her selfishness. I immediately blocked her because I don't need someone like that in my life.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017

If there is a quick acquittal without witnesses than I'm very worried about 2020. Not because Trump will get some bump out of it but because then the cheating will ratchet up to a whole new level. Trump's legal team have just been using the Impeachment trial to justify any bad behavior from the President. We should all be ready to see things that make the Mueller Report and Ukraine look small potatoes. Witnesses would at least be somewhat shaming.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
Land mine regulations, migratory bird protections, school lunches, etc. I really wish one of Obama's last executive orders was "Trump should never be found guilty during impeachment and removed from office". In my imagination the GOP and Trump are that childish and stupid they would be actively trying to convince the senate to vote for removal just because it was an Obama proposal.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
If there is a quick acquittal without witnesses than I'm very worried about 2020. Not because Trump will get some bump out of it but because then the cheating will ratchet up to a whole new level. Trump's legal team have just been using the Impeachment trial to justify any bad behavior from the President. We should all be ready to see things that make the Mueller Report and Ukraine look small potatoes. Witnesses would at least be somewhat shaming.
A thought I've had over the last couple of years is: what recourse is there to force administration officials to preserve evidence in the case that they lose reelection? In that lame duck period from November to January, when normal transitions are working on the handover of power, Trump and his crew are likely going to be destroying all records of their activities. Those things that will make Mueller and Ukraine look like small potatoes could be buried away if they're successful in destroying the evidence.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
IA/NC are potential pickups, as mentioned.

Georgia and Kansas are also distinct possibilities. I don't think we'll get there with the regular Georgia election, but the special election is practically guaranteed to go to a runoff, we just got an amazing candidate, and Doug Collins is kind of a joke. If we got to a Collins vs. Warnock runoff, I could see it easily being a Tossup. Same with Kansas and Kobach.

I think that all largely depends on who the nominee is, though. The three states you mentioned we can likely flip just by winning the presidency - Trump winning Maine or Colorado would be legitimately shocking, and Arizona should be close enough for Kelly to overperform even if Trump does carry the state. However we'll likely need some Republican ticket splitters in order to win the other four, and I imagine they'd be a lot less comfortable giving downticket Democrats their vote if the nominee is someone seen as more extreme, like Sanders or Warren, compared to Biden (who they might not vote for, but could maybe more easily live with).

Alabama is probably gone - I don't think it's impossible for Jones to win with Biden at the top of the ticket, but I'd give him like, a 20% chance of winning at best. In practice it's probably more like ~5%.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
A thought I've had over the last couple of years is: what recourse is there to force administration officials to preserve evidence in the case that they lose reelection? In that lame duck period from November to January, when normal transitions are working on the handover of power, Trump and his crew are likely going to be destroying all records of their activities. Those things that will make Mueller and Ukraine look like small potatoes could be buried away if they're successful in destroying the evidence.

Trump isn't leaving the white house after this. This is what dictators do. They'll brazenly steal an election because there are 0 repercussions for their actions in the USA. We've seen it happen all over the nation.

A quick acquittal is pretty much a green light.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Trump isn't leaving the white house after this. This is what dictators do. They'll brazenly steal an election because there are 0 repercussions for their actions in the USA. We've seen it happen all over the nation.

A quick acquittal is pretty much a green light.
I'm kinda doing a 360 on this issue. I started off afraid that he wouldn't leave office, then did a 180 because regardless on January 20 the Constitution stipulates that the new President becomes the new President. But then after yesterday I'm heading back to 360 degrees because I'm not sure anything will compel him to leave and I'm not sure Republicans will lift an eyebrow if he decides not to.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda doing a 360 on this issue. I started off afraid that he wouldn't leave office, then did a 180 because regardless on January 20 the Constitution stipulates that the new President becomes the new President. But then after yesterday I'm heading back to 360 degrees because I'm not sure anything will compel him to leave and I'm not sure Republicans will lift an eyebrow if he decides not to.
I think this is sorta overblown. Dude is crazy, but thinking he wont leave the WH if he loses the election is way overboard and hyperbolic.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Big brain time:
If CORPORATE ESTABLISHMENT dems want the Bernie movement to die already, let him win the presidency and then when his 4 year term inevitably gets not much done, the movement itself will dissolve and we will be back to being 2008 democrats

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
(im not saying this attacking you)

How are you going to know that the russians have an open invite to hack, to keep him in office. That Republicans just straight up steal elections through meddling, and think that some how hes not going to "WIN" on election night?

The argument about him leaving is make believe. Putin "wins" elections. In what world, right now, with the state of the USA, leads you to believe that republicans aren't going to voter suppress/hack/forget power cables for voting machines/everything they can possibly do --- They've supported a criminal this entire time. This impeachment will be beyond the point of no return for their legacies. As we know, more and more is going to come out. The only way to stay out of jail, or in their positions down the line is to maintain power. They've done everything they possibly could. While they lost the house, we see that it was really just a show position. Great, this all comes to light. But, as far as removing their influence on the nation? They didn't lose much.

Its a terrible feeling knowing that we just have to hope Republicans/Russians give is a fair election. What other position is one supposed to have right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.