• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
*anyone* who gets the nomination in a brokered convention does the same thing. doesn't matter who it is. Biden, Sanders, Bloomberg, etc. I think the party is aware of this.

What you will LIKELY have is anyone with significant delegates "suspend" their campaign when they drop, coalesce around a single candidate BEFORE it gets to the convention, then urge their delegates to vote for that candidate before releasing them and first round voting begins. Bloomberg winning out in that scenario isn't really all that unlikely if it's just him and Sanders.

Bloomberg has spent a SHIT TON of money backing democratic candidates and pulling down republicans for years. Sanders hasn't.

Bloomberg was propping up Republicans as recently as 2016. He gave big donations to Pat Toomey's campaign who squeaked out re-election to the Senate. That is going to be a huge issue that is going to come up. I'm not aware of any time Sanders or any other Dem candidate has been so helpful to the GOP.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Bloomberg literally helped elect Republicans like Pat Toomey in 2016 and 2018.

publicintegrity.org

9 things to know about Michael Bloomberg

After being discussed as a potential candidate in each of the 2008, 2012 and 2016 races, billionaire businessman, philanthropist and political activist Michael Bloomberg has finally declared his candidacy for the 2020 presidential election — after earlier this year saying he wouldn’t run...

A former Republican, Bloomberg has also secured roughly as many endorsements from party leaders as two of the current front-runners, former Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Sen. Bernie Sanders.
Many of those throwing Bloomberg their support are mayors whose cities have benefited from seven- and eight-figure donations from Bloomberg's vast network of philanthropies. Others have personally attended an elite, Bloomberg-financed boot camp for mayors. Stevens cited her past work as a fellow with Bloomberg Philanthropies as one of the reasons for her endorsement.
The endorsements from Rouda, Sherrill and Stevens stand out because House Democrats are being unusually slow this cycle to make endorsements. More members of Congress had endorsed Hillary Clinton by this point in 2016 than have endorsed any of the candidates running in 2020 thus far. Of the 232 Democrats in the U.S. House, more than 100 remain undeclared. Nine are currently endorsing Bloomberg.
Rouda, Sherrill and Stevens received Bloomberg's support in the form of TV ads bought by a super PAC, Independence USA PAC, which receives all of its money from Bloomberg and his gun control advocacy group.

asumetech.com

Mike Bloomberg Spent Millions To Put Them In Congress. Now, They're Endorsing Him. - Asume Tech

When Rep. Harley Rouda became one of the first members of Congress to endorse Mike Bloomberg for president, the California Democrat billed it as a marriage of moderates. “He has been a fiscal conservative and a social progressive, which is where I believe most Americans are,” Rouda said...

money talks.

Keep in mind people I'm not endorsing bloomberg, and won't vote for him when PA rolls around. But anyone that doesn't think the tens of millions that his PAC has spent propping up Dem candidates, the bootcamps he's running, and his direct stumping for candidates like Gillum won't matter is kidding themselves.

Yeah, he's backed Toomey, Collins, and other unsavory characters over time, but his spending is FAR, FAR more democratic than it isn't.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
by the time the field starts to narrow, Sanders will have won every super tuesday state
It's a delegate race, though, not a state race.

There's an upside for him in that 38% of the delegates will be allocated. But if he's winning states and only getting 1-2 delegates more than the next person, and the field narrows after that? It might not be enough for anyone to get an outright majority, but it might be enough for someone to get 1 more delegate than he gets, and, therefore, claim they have the right to the nomination.

Bernie trying to follow the Trump strategy in a proportional system is not going to get him enough...he needs to blow out some states at some point.

Feb 14, 2018
I'm not worried about the DNC handing the nom to Bloomberg somehow. That ain't it. I'm worried about him getting it "legitimately" by outspending all other candidates combined tenfold with his own pocket change. The man is trying to buy the Presidency. The DNC is not the boogieman.

If Dem primary voters are dumb enough to vote for "the nice man in all the tv commercials" then I don't see how the DNC is supposed to stop them.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, uh. Apparently there are still votes to be counted. And Bernie's lead is shrinking. He's going to win, right? Cause anything else just means more chaos...

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at tonight's performance, I don't see how anyone could be feeling confident about Bernie's chances in other states. This was supposed to be his wheelhouse, and it's going to be an absolute squeaker.

Maybe he does well on Super Tuesday, but nothing here today indicates that that would be so. If anything, today confirms that it's all up in the air.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck NH and Iowa going first. Never again. They need to be put in the corner and shunted to the back. Pick a diverse state representative of the USA that's not enormous like CA or Texas and have several of them go first. NV, NJ, GA, AZ.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh. Apparently there are still votes to be counted. And Bernie's lead is shrinking. He's going to win, right? Cause anything else just means more chaos...

The $64,000 question is probably "Is Bernie also near his ceiling with minority voters?"

Iowa and New Hampshire haven't been promising for him to peel off people who weren't already with him.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Polls have him winning the majority of those states tho?
This will change if Warren and Biden Collapse.

In fact, I would say NH tonight was REALLY bad news long term for Bernie for the following:

>NH is a very white state near his home state.
>Warren is the Closest candidate to his postions and is friendly with him
>Warren's collapse in the polls to this final result showed almost NONE of the Warren voters went to Bernie.
>Amy and Pete appear to have taken the vast majority of Warren's voters....and that has to be extremely concerning to anyone thinking long term for Bernie.

Bernie's best hope is there are 3 or 4 candidates picking up delegates well past super Tuesday with no clear winner. We'll see what happens.

Facts are Facts here folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.