• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I take an egregious amount of selfies, however I am also an obnoxious person on social media.

and yes, in general

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would take selfies if I was actually photogenic.

"Oh you look way better in person" is a double edged sword lol

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
can we at least agree that over-emphasis on campaign trail selfies aren't even in the same league as "pokemon go to the polls"

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
How about starting at 15% nationally and ending at 15% nationally, seeing no significant permanent change in support, just like every other major candidate in the primary
Cool. She was polling in 1st at some point, and is now in 4th, weeks away.

Play with the numbers as you want to make your point seem valid. The Warren campaign isnt happy with their polling at all right now. She needs to do something or she is out. Iowa isnt even the full story. Her numbers arent good, and she might as well be collapsing if she isnt.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I also think selfies are lame but I think indulging people isn't lame so I'm at an impasse.

Plus, tons of shit campaigns do is lame, who cares? Debate parties are lame as shit too.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a certain amount of "how do you do fellow kids" in Warren's selfie thing. I get not being a huge fan. All candidates have something like that. There's also some genuine-ness there as well, as she actually does produce a shitload of selfies and uses it to make it clear that she values all her supporters equally regardless of $$ donated. For me it's hit and miss on how she sells it.

It's also such a tiny thing that I feel it's kinda a waste that I put the effort to write sentences on it.
It's not any worse than the Cardi B x Bernie stuff. Like.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
There's a certain amount of "how do you do fellow kids" in Warren's selfie thing. I get not being a huge fan. All candidates have something like that. There's also some genuine-ness there as well, as she actually does produce a shitload of selfies and uses it to make it clear that she values all her supporters equally regardless of $$ donated. For me it's hit and miss on how she sells it.

It's also such a tiny thing that I feel it's kinda a waste that I put the effort to write sentences on it.
I mean that's the thing, literally every politician is super insulated from regular life that them trying to connect with the average Joe almost always looks phony.

However I feel like there are some men who are skilled at dodging this (Obama and Clinton seemed "genuine" to people even when they did cheesy shit), whereas I don't know if any woman politician has ever successfully avoided it. I'm almost tempted to say Palin, at the trade-off of also coming off as extraordinarily stupid, but even then you had stuff like "we're hunting wolverines just like regular ol' Alaskans! Alright let's get in the helicopter and snipe them"

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not any worse than the Cardi B x Bernie stuff. Like.
TBH I missed that entire saga. I don't feel like I missed much.
I mean that's the thing, literally every politician is super insulated from regular life that them trying to connect with the average Joe almost always looks phony.

However I feel like there are some men who are skilled at dodging this (Obama and Clinton seemed "genuine" to people even when they did cheesy shit), whereas I don't know if any woman politician has ever successfully avoided it. I'm almost tempted to say Palin, at the trade-off of also coming off as extraordinarily stupid, but even then you had stuff like "we're hunting wolverines just like regular ol' Alaskans! Alright let's get in the helicopter and snipe them"
Palin? Naaaahh. Only with the tea party crowd. Remember her lame rhymes to try to sound witty?

Bill occasionally got hit with the not seeming genuine stick IIRC (he definitely wasn't genuine).

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I would take selfies if I was actually photogenic.

"Oh you look way better in person" is a double edged sword lol
This has always been a real thing for me

g4zzouszi7l01.png

I hate about 80% of photos I see myself in and that's being generous to the other 20%

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Before selfie lines, people just kinda crowded around the politician hoping for a selfie. The politician would take a few photos before a campaign manager or staffer pulls them away.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't especially like selfies, but I can't argue with my fans. I wouldn't be anywhere without them.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Selfies are more commonly associated with women and gay men, young straight men being put off by behaviors associated with women and gay men, presumably a young straight man (apologies in advance if this is incorrect but the demographic of ResetEra seems to favor young straight men) bashing a woman candidate for taking selfies with her supporters

I'm really not seeing the difficulty in following the thread of logic here
It's not difficult to follow what's being said it's just there's nothing to back that up, all it takes is a google search. What I am reading is that women are more likely to use a selfie as their profile picture, but once again nothing I am seeing based on this google search is telling me straight men young hate taking selfies hell the numbers are actually surprising in line with each other.

Oct 25, 2017
i read the last thirty pages ready to post about the fucking despair of watching my two favourite candidates destroy each others chances of winning the nom, and instead all i can muster now is disbelief that "straight young men generally show distain toward feminine or gay things" is, in this the year of our lord 2020, still a statement that someone thought should be pushed back on

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
what happened today between both camps is 100% lose-lose.
there is no positive + for either Bernie or Liz after today's fuckery.

all Joe Biden has to do is keep his mouth shut and wins by default

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
It is funny watching the discourse go from "Warren is a lying snake!" To "I can't believe that deceptive snake would leak a private conversation!"

Dec 31, 2017
what happened today between both camps is 100% lose-lose.
there is no positive + for either Bernie or Liz after today's fuckery.

all Joe Biden has to do is keep his mouth shut and wins by default

yep, talk about snake eating its own tail. The progressive wing of the primaries is fucking itself with this nonsense, on the eve of the only chance both warren or sanders had of breaking through in the early primary states. sad. I believe bernie said it and I also believe he's not a sexist and likely meant it with more nuance. I believe that warrens statement is technically fine however it does little to truly explain the situation - it is a very political statement. Neither of them are looking good after this, and their admirable cooperative coalition for the past half year is going to be torn apart in this upcoming debate.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
My prediction - Warren and Bernie will be civil at the debate and this "feud" will die down. This entire thing was blown out of proportion by the Media + I don't see them wanting to prove Trump right with his feud troll comment.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
i read the last thirty pages ready to post about the fucking despair of watching my two favourite candidates destroy each others chances of winning the nom, and instead all i can muster now is disbelief that "straight young men generally show distain toward feminine or gay things" is, in this the year of our lord 2020, still a statement that someone thought should be pushed back on
Yeah and I learned that selfies are gay and feminine (guess I should take more selfies). Weird world we live in.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
completely unfounded wild thought below

what if Russia hacked Burisma not to find dirt on Biden's but rather to place fabricated dirt there?

Status
Not open for further replies.