• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
From what we've seen over recent months, Warren has been solidly ahead in 2nd/3rd combined choices, which suggests she'd improve most as people started to drop out. That also bodes well for her chances in Iowa when you need desperately people backing you as follow-up options in a large field. Consensus candidate of "maybe we aren't stuck with Biden!" is her route right now, past the solid 20ish% she seems to have locked nationally.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, Butty. It's so embarrassing how he's convinced himself he can win by being a young Biden when regular Biden is still beating him in the polls.
Not to mention his base overlaps with Warren, not Biden's. Though, ironically, his push has eaten into Warren, not Biden.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
It's short for "people who don't pay attention and don't use nomenclature in a sentence". Also "the people we should be worrying about."

difficult, I know.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
From what we've seen over recent months, Warren has been solidly ahead in 2nd/3rd combined choices, which suggests she'd improve most as people started to drop out. That also bodes well for her chances in Iowa when you need desperately people backing you as follow-up options in a large field. Consensus candidate of "maybe we aren't stuck with Biden!" is her route right now, past the solid 20ish% she seems to have locked nationally.

Yeah but sadly bernie won't drop out even though his policies will never actually become reality even if he were a president (just due to the nature of politics). This will potentially be the 2nd woman he contributed to costing the presidency of =I

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lol GOP talking points from the man without a plan

Oh look, another lefty signalboosting the GOP in order to try and get a leg up on the mainstream party in a way that's completely self-destructive.
yeah idk how it would be a job killer anymore than raising the min wage is. there is probably something to be said about it creating an incentive for management to hire workers through smaller businesses or worse yet to higher more workers as 'independent contractors'. i dont know if any of those very obvious downsides offset the political value of marketing a single payer system with no "middleclass" tax increases.

the genius of warren's plan is its funded in such a convoluted way it sort of encourages the average person to completely disengage with the topic outside of 'i dont pay more in taxes? nice'
Yeah, she knows it can't pass, so she put up a politically friendly plan instead of an actual one.

As opposed to Bernie, who doesn't bother with a plan because his whole thing is based on a "DONT WORRY TRUST ME" thing where... lol no.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
yeah idk how it would be a job killer anymore than raising the min wage is. there is probably something to be said about it creating an incentive for management to hire workers through smaller businesses or worse yet to higher more workers as 'independent contractors'. i dont know if any of those very obvious downsides offset the political value of marketing a single payer system with no "middleclass" tax increases.

the genius of warren's plan is its funded in such a convoluted way it sort of encourages the average person to completely disengage with the topic outside of 'i dont pay more in taxes? nice'
I think it depends on when you say a job is killed. Look at it this way, currently many employers offer jobs in both part and full time capacities, right, and the part time positions come with health insurance way less than full time positions generally do. Of course there's employers who offer no insurance to either their full time employees nor their part time employees and there's employers who offer insurance to both. But the take away here is they have the capability to do what they want, now, under the current system. Under Warren's plan all part time workers would still cost their employer the same health cost as their full time workers, meaning from that point on there will be many part time jobs and seasonal jobs that don't come to fruition because they would no longer be cost effective compared to how they are now. Having the tax payer shoulder the burden would change that calculus, an employer would now see a new employee as little more than the sum of their hours worked, and I guess unemployment and the smaller taxes they always have to pay on the backside, but the main thing is is if they only have 20 hours of labor to offer a week under Warren's plan it's going to look a lot more expensive.

Something like the minimum wage is different because it's still by the hour, it's not a mandatory relatively large lump sum per employee that you must pay regardless of hours worked. Obviously an increased minimum wage, health care tax per employee or whatever raises the cost of each employee but usually most businesses already try to run with the amount of people they need, they're not usually sitting on tons of useless unneeded employees, so with an increased minimum wage you're usually saying pay the wage or shut down and most will pay the increased minimum wage and everything works out fine, with a few businesses on the margins falling by the wayside, but it's a net win. Still though, even with an increased minimum wage, if you don't offer health insurance if you have 20 hours you want to offer as a job it pretty much won't cost you more than 20 hours labor. Warren's plan will make that 20 hours of labor plus 98% of whatever their average healthcare cost is. So most likely an employer would hold of on offering positions until it's absolutely necessary so that it's most cost effective. Of course this is what they always do we're just changing the math to where it'd be cost effective for them.

I just don't think it's wrong to say it'll cost jobs, I'd be willing to bet it would. It's simple math. As I said in the thread about her plan, I imagine it'd mainly be part-time jobs lost. I'm sure that some companies may use any bill passing as an opportunity to re-evaluate their staffing but I find that somewhat irrelevant, much like some companies re-evaluated their health care providers and staffing when the AHCA was passed. It's just something that would happen because any large shift in policy will get a bunch of companies to look at this stuff at one time instead of it being staggered around on their own schedules. But the decreased part-time job creation I do think would be a direct effect of Warren's proposal.

Now, like you say, whether that offsets the fact you can run around and say "no middle class tax hike," I dunno. Personally I think it's the wrong way to go about it but without a crystal ball I can't say if it'd get passed a different way. Can't even say it'd get passed this way. I just think it's better to not do the tax that way.

Personally I want the companies that want to play loose with their hours to be free enough to be loose with their hours, I know part-time positions aren't great but I think there'd be a lot of turmoil that would accompany any M4A bill being passed and I think there'll be coming turmoil with self driving vehicles and the like, I want as many jobs as possible out there to lessen the blow.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, I may be an idiot, if Warren's plan is taking the 98% average of healthcare costs and dividing it to get the hourly rate and having an employer simply paying that per hour then it would be no different than a minimum wage increase and I don't think it'd hurt part time job creation.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I may be an idiot, if Warren's plan is taking the 98% average of healthcare costs and dividing it to get the hourly rate and having an employer simply paying that per hour then it would be no different than a minimum wage increase and I don't think it'd hurt part time job creation.
spoiler: employers already pay this "tax" through employer side contributions to premiums, which are enormous. It's why Warren's plan is politically good, but economically bad because the tax is a bad structure we want to get away from as much as possible. But since it can't pass anyway the economics don't matter.

Oct 25, 2017
I met an absolutely nutty Cuban in California today who went all in on hating the Dem Party because of communism. Couldn't explain why Cubans deserved special immigrations protections vs. Haiti and El Salvador (because of course).

Apparently a good amount of Cubans want America to completely cut off trade and tourism to Cuba (which is what Trump's doing!) so the "communist" administration fails which is fascinating in how destructive this would be to their families.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
NYT/Siena battleground poll is out:

Edit: Trump also leads Biden, Sanders, Warren and Buttigieg in Iowa:
Ms. Warren trailed Mr. Trump by six points in Iowa, the widest gap among leading Democrats, even though she led the Democratic caucus in our poll. Pete Buttigieg, who is generally not as well known as Ms. Warren, trailed Mr. Trump by four points in Iowa, which was the only state where we included him in head-to-head polling against the president. Mr. Biden trailed by one point and Mr. Sanders by three.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
spoiler: employers already pay this "tax" through employer side contributions to premiums, which are enormous. It's why Warren's plan is politically good, but economically bad because the tax is a bad structure we want to get away from as much as possible. But since it can't pass anyway the economics don't matter.
Those insurance contributions are already really expensive for employers. An average about $15k per year for an employee with a family plan. And the cost jumps up every year, much higher than the rate of inflation. That's why employers try to cut back to cheaper insurance plans that end up costing employees much much more.

Warren's plan redirects a lot of that money to M4All. But employers would actually pay less in terms of these insurance contributions. Specifically, 2% less. And the amount of these contributions would be more stable and predictable over time - as opposed to jumping up 5-10% each year. And there are provisions to make them go down even more. For instance, for employers with unionized employees, they can pay their employees higher wages instead of making these M4All payments.

Compared to the current arrangement, it's an economic good.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
EIhkULCWwAAX94H

Warren and Sanders are even worse among Likely Voters,

Oct 27, 2017
That's all without a push in those states. We also know Trump would lead in Iowa. For now, a year out from the election, when he has to campaign on anti-impeachment and anti many factors. I'm waiting for a DeSantis Surprise to emerge related to Ukraine and Parnas.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Is there any particular reason why health care in the US always seems to be approached by insurance coverage? To me the underlying problem is the massive inefficiency and profiteering that the system seems to have there relative to other developed nations, something I've witnessed first hand. Trying to tackle ballooning health care costs through coverage alone and not addressing the costs themselves, conceding effectively to health care provider whims and high profits, seems the wrong way (or at least an unbalanced way) to tackle things.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
Throw it on the pile, but those siena numbers wouldn't even seem to align with those Fox News national numbers?

There is no world where Biden is +10 Nationally but breaking even in MI and +2 in Florida.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any particular reason why health care in the US always seems to be approached by insurance coverage? To me the underlying problem is the massive inefficiency and profiteering that the system seems to have there relative to other developed nations, something I've witnessed first hand. Trying to tackle ballooning health care costs through coverage alone and not addressing the costs themselves, conceding effectively to health care provider whims and high profits, seems the wrong way (or at least an unbalanced way) to tackle things.

Doing something radically different from how things were always done is hard. There's a lot of inertia when it comes to acceptance and expectations that private health insurance is what we do. There's also a lot of skepticism about government. Government bad: private industry good. In our winner-take-all culture, there are a lot of people who root for CEOs who take home billions of dollar in compensation, even to their detriment.

Even with me, I worry about the health insurance employees who are going to go through some adjustments. Even though I know they're being subsidized by an immoral, wasteful, irrational system of healthcare allocation. Not enough for me to oppose M4All, but I can empathize with a lot of the fears about making this huge societal shift.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
"Elysha Savarese, 26, works in victims advocacy in Florida. She voted for Mr. Trump and said she would not do so again.

But she wouldn't vote for Ms. Warren, either.

"There's just something about her that I just don't like," she said. "I just don't feel like she's a genuine candidate. I find her body language to be very off-putting. She's very cold. She's basically a Hillary Clinton clone.""

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
"Elysha Savarese, 26, works in victims advocacy in Florida. She voted for Mr. Trump and said she would not do so again.

"There's just something about her that I just don't like," she said. "I just don't feel like she's a genuine candidate. I find her body language to be very off-putting. She's very cold. She's basically a Hillary Clinton clone.""

Same sexist garbage a lot of Democrats were spouting up until this spring about her. But then folks actual paid attention to her and turns out she's extremely likable and warm.

also: "works in victims advocacy" "voted for Mr. Trump" wtf

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Elizabeth Warren, known cold person.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden isn't up big nationally with likely voters, only with registered voters. This happens every time, the Democratic candidate looks to be up huge in the year before the election, but 3 months before the election when all the national polls have switched to likely voters the candidate will be up a meager +3 nationally. Democrats lose a few points in the switch from registered to likely. I believe these numbers that Biden is up only +2 or so in the Midwest battlegrounds, and probably only up nationally over Trump right now by a best-case scenario of +5, and probably more like +3. I doubt Warren and Sanders are up over Trump nationally at all.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
any reliable polling on Virginia elections? looks like everything's been pretty quiet. Early voting for the dems seems to be down, House flips might not actually happen.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"I like Tulsi tho"

Through it on the pile but if those are actually numbers this country deserves to burn.

At least the white part of it does.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Those battleground polls are depressing as fuck. If these are the numbers amidst all the impeachment stuff, it's gonna take an economic collapse to defeat Trump.

Oct 27, 2017
Throw it on the pile, but those siena numbers wouldn't even seem to align with those Fox News national numbers?

There is no world where Biden is +10 Nationally but breaking even in MI and +2 in Florida.
This, and I'm not saying these polls should discounted either. Just that there's a disconnect between a national spread of 10 points or more and these state polls. They both can't hold.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna see crosstabs cause these numbers don't match up with 2018, polling or common sense.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
This, and I'm not saying these polls should discounted either. Just that there's a disconnect between a national spread of 10 points or more and these state polls. They both can't hold.

They both can hold if you have been following what Nate Cohn and others have been saying since earlier this year. Trump can lose national vote by 5 million and can still win the EC.

Status
Not open for further replies.