Status
Not open for further replies.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I agree with Kyle here. Having a simply inside person as president who is progressive isn't going to result in the change that we'd like, such as Medicare For All. Even with a Democratic super-majority. There will be segments in the Democratic Party who are corporate-backed Democrats or Democratic representatives in highly conservative districts who will not vote for bills that a President Warren will propose. An inside-outside strategy is how real, massive change is made. A social democrat president, and millions to back them up at DC to protest with a list of demands that will have been laid out, ideally by a President Sanders. Bernie is the only one calling on the people to fight with him. That's an important distinction.

It's also never going to happen. Because it's fictional. The dude can't hit 20% in the primary, but he has MILLIONS who are going to march on the capital? Like Mitch will give two shits about that.

The revolution is never coming.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Let me put it this way: if Bernie was actually that guy he wouldn't be in third right now and he wouldn't have lost 2016. He's not going to get a million man protest in DC because if he could he would be winning right now.
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Kyle here. Having a simply inside person as president who is progressive isn't going to result in the change that we'd like, such as Medicare For All. Even with a Democratic super-majority. There will be segments in the Democratic Party who are corporate-backed Democrats or Democratic representatives in highly conservative districts who will not vote for bills that a President Warren will propose. An inside-outside strategy is how real, massive change is made. A social democrat president, and millions to back them up at DC to protest with a list of demands that will have been laid out, ideally by a President Sanders. Bernie is the only one calling on the people to fight with him. That's an important distinction.

Legit can't tell if this is parody or copypasta. Sanders failing in 2016 and seemingly 2020 should show that this is in the realm of fantasy.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand the logic here at all. Politicians calling for the people to fight with them is not exceptional at all. It's pretty bog standard.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Legit can't tell if this is parody or copypasta. Sanders failing in 2016 and seemingly 2020 should show that this is in the realm of fantasy.

Yeah it was also a realm of fantasy of Trump winning. Biden lost two elections, and here he is on top for now. Never did I say that Bernie will definitely win, but I won't count him out until the end.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then you won't get the change you want. It's as simple as that.
Politics is bottom-up, not top down. Which is why those obsessesd with with the failure of Sanders' candidacies being a death knell for progress are delusional and will never accomplish anything, because they're just pop stans with a candidate in place of a singer.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017

Kinda like how Warren rallied outside progressive groups, combined with building pressure in the Senate, to kill Obama's nomination of Larry Summers as Fed Chair and got Janet Yellen appointed instead?

Or how she's constantly pitching herself with the line "I know what's broken, I know how to fix it, and we're building the grassroots movement to get it done." Like that?

This recent concern trolling that Warren isn't going about building and maintaining a movement just seems like bullshit taking points from people who didn't even bother to look into her political career. Outsider agitation and energy combined with insider knowledge and power has been, like, her modus operandi for her entire political career. A career that's only a decade old and already has a ton of accomplishments.

There's a reason the progressive groups were originally pushing for Warren to run in 2016, and Sanders all but said in 2015 that he would only run if Warren didn't.

I like Bernie and enthusiastically supported him in 2016, but his refusal to come out against the filibuster, and his reticence towards tackling other systemic reforms, basically make him a non starter for me. You aren't going to enact and maintain real change without restructuring the Senate, the courts, and ditching the EC.

Oct 25, 2017
General 'you', not specifically you.

Let me reframe the question then.

What change are you talking about, specifically? Politicians of all stripes very often call on the people to rally behind them. It's kinda a fundamental part of winning an election. So how does a thing that has been done since the beginning of Democracy get us the change we want?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get the cult of personality around Bernie Sanders.

I just don't get it at all.

people like his policies and the version of his record they have invented in their heads and the way creating new laws work in their heads, furthermore we live in an age where one can curate their social media so that they really only interact with like minded individuals (which is fine, making friends with folks who have similar interests as you is a pretty normal thing despite what all the weirdos who complain about ~echo chambers~ would have you believe), and that coupled with how social media algorithms promote content to you, leads folks to believe the amount of support a politician has is far greater than it actually is.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
personally he lost me forever when a bunch of his social media supporters decided demonizing me for not obsessively campaigning for him in 2015 while i was still undecided was a good play and it seems like most of his support has remained On This Brand since then
That's interesting. I have a similar thing, but it's about being called a white bro by white liberals for supporting Bernie

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is relevant to politicians as well (and the current discussion)

When all you care about is your ideology, people overlook garbage behavior.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have anything on NEW DETAILS on formas healthcare plans that came out last week? Boss is telling me something about a specific pricing index or a 70% fine on pharma companies who overcharge. I'm pretty sure this is bs but does anyone know?

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I've said it before...

But Bernie Sanders is only even a thing because:
  1. Hillary Clinton cleared the primary field.
  2. Elizabeth Warren decided not to run.
You can see exactly how successful Bernie Sanders is in the absence of having only one very polarising opponent, and/or having others competing in a crowded field that are better at messaging to progressives.

You can see exactly how successful he would have been without the specific set of events in 2016.

Because he entered the 2020 race with a shit ton more advantages (existing mailing lists and donor bases, near 100% name recognition, residual campaign funds from his 2016 campaign that he stashed away) and he's flailing about.

The idea that he is somehow The ONE, and without him everything will fall, is laughable.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I admit that people tuning out after the election is a massive worry. However, this is not a worry that doesnt include Bernie.

Like, the whole "lets primary people who disagree". Ok, fine, lets say that Sinema doesnt want the green new deal. Whats the plan, supporting her primary opponent in four years? Lets say Kelly kicks out McSalty and he doesnt want M4A, are you supposed to support an adversary in six years?

"Be careful Senator Gideon, or I will get you out of your seat...in six years, if I win reelection".

Also, getting people to mobilize in general is pretty difficult. How many people would march with President Sanders in Arizona? It would be cool and it might drop Sinema"s approval a bit...but will it be enough to twist her arm? What if she uses that march in her advantage and says "see? Im not an average democrat, i break ranks bc im a true independent"? What if going to West Virginia to shit on Manchin actually raises his approvals?

Now multiply that question tenfold and ask it for every single important bill. The bully pulpit sounds cool in theory but it starts to seem like a nightmare when you rationalize it.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Is that story about ABC fabricating a war scene from Syria real? That's all we need when we need the media honest and to get people on the side of impeachment is a media organization fabricating stories. What the hell is wrong with these companies?

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it could be possible that the decided loser of the 2016 primary against Clinton, the evil harpy who had decades of pointed smears labeled against her, who himself is now the third place candidate in the 2020 early primary (yes, there are still 111 days until Iowa) with little positive movement in his numbers despite a very high name recognition, who hasn't done a ton in his near lifetime of politics, will march on Washington as President with a massive multi-million person mob with a list of demands and is the only* candidate/person/leader who can do it.

But I'm probably very biased because Sanders lost me after the time I met him at a grocery store in Vermont. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?" I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

*ignoring all those other massive marches that he had nothing to do with.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it could be possible that the decided loser of the 2016 primary against Clinton, the evil harpy who had decades of pointed smears labeled against her, who himself is now the third place candidate in the 2020 early primary (yes, there are still 111 days until Iowa) with little positive movement in his numbers despite a very high name recognition, who hasn't done a ton in his near lifetime of politics, will march on Washington as President with a massive multi-million person mob with a list of demands and is the only* candidate/person/leader who can do it.

But I'm probably very biased because Sanders lost me after the time I met him at a grocery store in Vermont. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?" I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

This story is amazing. I don't even care if it's true or not.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Is that story about ABC fabricating a war scene from Syria real? That's all we need when we need the media honest and to get people on the side of impeachment is a media organization fabricating stories. What the hell is wrong with these companies?
Reads like they purchased video from a source but it was fake.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
It's also never going to happen. Because it's fictional. The dude can't hit 20% in the primary, but he has MILLIONS who are going to march on the capital? Like Mitch will give two shits about that.

The revolution is never coming.

I agree, it is the reasoning that Trump controls the Republican Party. He has massive amount of support among Republican voters and those voters are crucial for elections. The level of support for Sanders in concentrated in select areas. Republicans and some Democrats aren't going to succumb under pressure from people that aren't from their state or district. Sanders support has to be wide ranging with large level of support from critical demographics.

His ideas are popular, but that doesn't mean that many of those people are going to DC to protest.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

My favorite part of this story is how the celebrity gives the narrator such a hard time, but then when the electrical infetterance thing comes up they're nice enough to let them in on the joke.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I admit that people tuning out after the election is a massive worry. However, this is not a worry that doesnt include Bernie.

Like, the whole "lets primary people who disagree". Ok, fine, lets say that Sinema doesnt want the green new deal. Whats the plan, supporting her primary opponent in four years? Lets say Kelly kicks out McSalty and he doesnt want M4A, are you supposed to support an adversary in six years?

"Be careful Senator Gideon, or I will get you out of your seat...in six years, if I win reelection".

Also, getting people to mobilize in general is pretty difficult. How many people would march with President Sanders in Arizona? It would be cool and it might drop Sinema"s approval a bit...but will it be enough to twist her arm? What if she uses that march in her advantage and says "see? Im not an average democrat, i break ranks bc im a true independent"? What if going to West Virginia to shit on Manchin actually raises his approvals?

Now multiply that question tenfold and ask it for every single important bill. The bully pulpit sounds cool in theory but it starts to seem like a nightmare when you rationalize it.

This is a basic problem and I've pointed out this before.

The problem is that most of the moderate Democrat's aren't actually up for re-election when Bernie can pressure them. For example, here are the re-election dates (after 2020) of some various moderate Senate Democrats.

2022 - Michael Bennett (CO), Chuck Schumer (NY)
2024 - Sinema (AZ), Carper (DE), King (ME), Klobuchar (MN), Tester (MT), Kaine (VA), Manchin (WV)
2026 - Probably John Hickenlooper (CO), Chris Coons (DE), Mark Warner (VA)

So, the vast majority of Senator's that can actually cause Bernie problems are either running for re-election in 2024, when Bernie will likely be busy with his re-election campaign or safe for re-election beyond Bernie's first term. You know what I say, if I'm Chris Coons or John Hickenlooper and I've got Bernie protesting me when I legitimately don't want to support single payer or whatever - "It's five years and x months 'til the next primary for my seat. Come back then."

Oct 25, 2017
Would a Hillary v Biden 2016 primary have been as toxic as what we had?
Worse because Clinton would have had a bigger challenge again Biden and wouldn't have handled him with kid gloves.
My favorite part of this story is how the celebrity gives the narrator such a hard time, but then when the electrical infetterance thing comes up they're nice enough to let them in on the joke.
It's one of the few I like to read through whenever posted because of how stupid it is and the "infetterance" detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.