Status
Not open for further replies.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
My ex went to college there. Lmao

He had a W '04 sticker and watched Fox News/Business. This was in the Dumbya era but I really had no excuse for dating him for over a year other than I really wanted a boyfriend and he wasn't abusive or a total asshole like the previous people I'd dated. He had other problems, but I guess at least he wasn't abusive and that was enough for me?

Mount Union has their DIII football team. That's about it.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm honest, I seriously doubt that the election will be won or lost on something like the differences between Harris and Warren's plans, especially not when running against such detail oriented candidate like Trump.
I think there are things that can be easily used against a candidate. Elizabeth Warren wants to take away your healthcare seems like an easy mark.

But I expect she would pivot anyway. And that's why she hasn't really committed to a firm healthcare plan as yet.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think there are things that can be easily used against a candidate. Elizabeth Warren wants to take away your healthcare seems like an easy mark.

But I expect she would pivot anyway. And that's why she hasn't really committed to a firm healthcare plan as yet.
I don't know how anyone can be sure about how any of that shit will play out, I sure can't, certainly not after 2016. Narratives get built over the dumbest things.
And like, I'm not saying don't consider it, and for sure, lie to the voters and then pass a better plan if you can, I don't give a fuck, I really don't. Actually, I like that plan, unironically. But I feel a lot of times Dems get scared of their own shadow so before anyone even think about cutting an attack ad on them they go "wait, but what if we make this policy shittier and more right wing?".
And you know, I'm not 100% certain that making policies shittier and more right wing is a winning strategy.

But this is a broader point, as I said, I don't think differences like that matter all that much, at least not in a predictable way, and I also think there is very little chance either get signed into law, so like, whatever.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
That is not my vice but he is definitely a contributing factor to my other increased viciness

He actually made me more active. I was getting mad sitting at home reading whatever he spewed out every day, so I made myself leave the house. Now I'm usually gone most days and I'm actually handling my disability better. So... I guess that's one positive thing I can say about him. He is so awful, I got off the internet.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
He actually made me more active. I was getting mad sitting at home reading whatever he spewed out every day, so I made myself leave the house. Now I'm usually gone most days and I'm actually handling my disability better. So... I guess that's one positive thing I can say about him. He is so awful, I got off the internet.

Yeah I more or less quit Twitter due to Don, only Twitter stuff I get now is via this thread. I also got more active as well for similar reasons.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For sure, I get the reasoning, but I still can't help but be a bit tickled by the corollary and the vision in my head of a bunch of economists going to this one town to scope this out.

Gotcha. Elkhart is kind of in a unique position; it has a history of trailer production from the 1930s and automotive manufacturing for almost as long (Studebaker was in nearby South Bend, AM General built humvees and H2s there from 1981 until 2006, now they make Mercedes R-Class), the local Amish population produces a lot of cabinetry and such, and it's also a major rail hub (think it's the third largest classifcation yard in the US, and the largest east of the Mississippi). That last one alone is a big reason, here's what it looked like every day after Katrina;

PydpVNv.jpg

Weird perfect storm to make one specific thing. They used to be known for musical instrument production too.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I argued for this over a decade ago, I'm glad that the idea of what goof corporate stewardship involves is finally changing.

There has to be a complete rethink of the entire mindset of corporations soon. This boom-bust cycle, entitled controlling interest investors, the threat of moving jobs unless tax cuts or incintives are given (and as we've seen with Carrier, they'll do it anyways) and wide open tax loopholes are getting the entire concept of Corporatism unaccountable to no one.

Too bad they didn't poll for Muslim attack for compare/contrast. Bet that'd be wild too.

I mean, didn't at least one of three prevented this weekend fall under white supremacy? We're currently at elevated chances due to copy cats, too.

MYSTERIOUSLY HIGHER NUMBERS SOMEHOW. MYSTERIOUSLY.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017

I don't get how this isn't a way to depress voter turnout. Like pretty much Biden's entire approach so far.

I thought the Dem party is trying to become more of a party that makes good things happen, not the Delaney "Good things can't happen" Special. That's my big problem about the whole "election loser" rhetoric.

I get not believing Bernie or Warren's plans are plausible, I get Bernie not putting out a good case for his m4a, but it's very clear that Biden and Harris for that matter aren't inspiring anyone with their healthcare plans. Either by policy or by how they are presenting it.

If there's one thing the left gets it's that an uninspiring candidate hasn't won an election for a while on the Dem side. Biden isn't inspiring.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I also don't think Sanders' plan is plausible and therefore think Kopmala's is better.

Ultimately I think a regulated multipayer system is a better fit for the US.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I don't get how this isn't a way to depress voter turnout. Like pretty much Biden's entire approach so far.

I thought the Dem party is trying to become more of a party that makes good things happen, not the Delaney "Good things can't happen" Special. That's my big problem about the whole "election loser" rhetoric.

I get not believing Bernie or Warren's plans are plausible, I get Bernie not putting out a good case for his m4a, but it's very clear that Biden and Harris for that matter aren't inspiring anyone with their healthcare plans. Either by policy or by how they are presenting it.

If there's one thing the left gets it's that an uninspiring candidate hasn't won an election for a while on the Dem side. Biden isn't inspiring.

Agreed.

Politics run on feeling before they ever run on actual policy. Not that the latter doesn't matter at all, but...when was the last time an uninspiring nerd was elected President?

It's important to have some policy backbone to make it through the (Dem) primary, but you shouldn't let an inspiring message or your brand get bogged down in policy minutia. I'm looking at you, Kamala.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately Medicare 4 All and the green dream or whatever are good slogans for rah rah rallying and suitably nebulous. They're things people can get behind in general.

I just don't think the specific implementation needs to be exactly this messaging bill that Sanders wrote with no hope of ever passing.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's a weird attack. Most people have shifted parties throughout their life. Only "independents" haven't. Hope the campaign tells her to chill on that though.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit Warren should be able to use that she was once a republican to court republicans and independents. That isn't a negative.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Judge a man by the company he keeps.
Bingo.

I'm actually convinced this is part of his strategy. I mean, we saw this. Have his surrogates go out there and say the really nasty things. Bernie half-assedly disavows their comments, if he disavows at all, but mostly he keeps his hands clean.

The Bernie camp desperately want to have a go at Warren at this point. And the thing is, I can't even hate. They kind of have to. This is a competition. Bernie's going to have to start drawing contrasts between him and Warren at some point, because this unspoken unity between them is really only benefiting her.

And I LIVE.

Oct 27, 2017
This douche-canoe and Boris in the UK must have surely been foretold at some point in history.

Someone break out some Nostradamus or Mayan calendars, or time-traveling Simpsons writers. I'm ready to believe it all

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Bingo.

I'm actually convinced this is part of his strategy. I mean, we saw this. Have his surrogates go out there and say the really nasty things. Bernie half-assedly disavows their comments, if he disavows at all, but mostly he keeps his hands clean.

The Bernie camp desperately want to have a go at Warren at this point. And the thing is, I can't even hate. They kind of have to. This is a competition. Bernie's going to have to start drawing contrasts between him and Warren at some point, because this unspoken unity between them is really only benefiting her.

And I LIVE.
And the best part, it's soooooooo fucking obvious how that's going to play out. I'm feeling a preemptive cackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.