Status
Not open for further replies.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Where does the title "attorney general" come from? Is it from our fetishization of the military, so we need generals everywhere?

Nah, it's used in the same sense as "general opinion" would (they're transposed because the phrase comes from French). Basically, the attorney general is the person that has "general" jurisdiction over prosecuting cases in a political unit. Or you might think of him as having "generic" jurisdiction, which is to say universal jurisdiction, jurisdiction wherever. Hence he's the highest attorney working in government.

EDIT: beaten like Trump in 2020, sorry.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I think yeah they should issue contempt orders and use the sgt at arms and the capitol police to haul people in.

I frankly agree. I do wonder, however, if the Democrats are afraid of the implications of doing that. Seriously, would the AG's staff let him be 'absconded with'? What would the president do about it? There is a non-zero chance he'd go Mad King in response.

Oct 25, 2017

But muh Sharia Law

unknown.png

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Huh, TIL Japan still has an emperor.

Yeah, but they're basically a figurehead, like the Queen is for the UK. The Japanese use the current Emperor's posthumous name (Japanese Emperors have both a name they use while alive, and a posthumous name) to refer to different eras of history. The Heisei era just ended after Akihito abdicated the Chrysanthemum Throne 2 days ago, and the Reiwa era began. Previously, there was the Showa era, the Taisho era, Meiji, and so on and so forth.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
It would be a full out civil war in Congress. It's not happening, y'all are watching too much House of Cards.

For the record, I really didn't care for that show. But I don't think that speculation is so out of whack: the Speaker of the House called the AG a criminal. There aren't that many real meaningful salves for that, but they'd include impeachment, subpoenas, or contempt. (Or none of these, sure.)

Royalan

Not actually the youngest mod — AP Fact Check
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah...you don't just flat out say the Attorney General lied to Congress and committed a crime, and then...go back to working with the pres on a bs infrastructure deal.

Like, not even I'm that jaded. Something has to be coming for Pelosi to be talking like this.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Ugh stop saying what you're going to do if xyz and just fucking do it. If there aren't any consequences to not showing up no one is going to show up.

Yup. This is what we're up against now. Theyre clearly disorganized and have stonewalling and PR horseshittery as their lone defenses, but when we come at that wall, we need to not stop running till we breach it. It's almost Force Vs. Force now and we dont really know what Barr's doing behind the scenes at the DoJ so time's of the essense too.

Oh stop. Jesus. Pelosi doesnt need to stop down. You think the next leader would do it?

Taking swings at those who will feel shame when its impossible to shame the shameless.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
It would be a full out civil war in Congress. It's not happening, y'all are watching too much House of Cards.

Not that I think this is the most likely outcome, but have you been watching what's happening in government? We're in a place where one branch of government is rejecting the authority another branch has over it. This is a full on crisis already, and it needs to break one way or the other eventually.

Sugaree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Yup. This is what we're up against now. Theyre clearly disorganized and have stonewalling and PR horseshittery as their lone defenses, but when we come at that wall, we need to not stop running till we breach it. It's almost Force Vs. Force now and we dont really know what Barr's doing behind the scenes at the DoJ so time's of the essense too.

Taking swings at those who will feel shame when its impossible to shame the shameless.

Nice try. The fact is calling for Pelosi to step down as speaker is preposterous. On this issue, you think there are a litany of people in line for the speakership who are waiting to impeach? Think having Pelosi step down is better for this nation? Do tell who will take her place that would do a better job.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know, it really feels like we keep waiting and waiting and waiting for some kind of good news in politics. And it just never comes.

It would be nice if the Democrats did what was right, even though they're clearly afraid of backlash (when they shouldn't be).

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
It's really disheartening and discouraging to see how Barr has become a superstar with Conservatives. I just don't know how we are supposed to fix the problems in this country when huge swaths of it and the elected officials controlling the government just don't care about anything. It's true what people say how all the GOP cares about now is "own the libs", but it seems to me it's more about having a visceral reaction to people who care about things and raise difficult issues to the public. They just don't care, they don't want to think about anything, they just want you to shut up. Where are we supposed to go from here?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It's really disheartening and discouraging to see how Barr has become a superstar with Conservatives. I just don't know how we are supposed to fix the problems in this country when huge swaths of it and the elected officials controlling the government just don't care about anything. It's true what people say how all the GOP cares about now is "own the libs", but it seems to me it's more about having a visceral reaction to people who care about things and raise difficult issues to the public. They just don't care, they don't want to think about anything, they just want you to shut up. Where are we supposed to go from here?
The second he's not helpful he'll be RINO slime to them.

Royalan

Not actually the youngest mod — AP Fact Check
Oct 24, 2017
It's really disheartening and discouraging to see how Barr has become a superstar with Conservatives. I just don't know how we are supposed to fix the problems in this country when huge swaths of it and the elected officials controlling the government just don't care about anything.

As fatalistic as it sounds, there a strange sort of comfort in knowing that there is and was never anything salvageable in the modern Republican party. They sold their proverbial souls long ago, ceased being patriots, and ceased even the pretense of caring about governing. And anyone in government still willing to call themselves Republicans absent a conflict of conscience is complicit in all of this.

So all you can do is stay woke, stay vigelent, and vote our Republicans at every opportunity.

Oct 27, 2017

Good questions, and ones with no good answer. Eventually demographics make these fascists jobs much harder, but their cultish, radicalized base demands "bitch-slap politics."

Ultimately, the only real way to stop this crap is to start RICO cases and then declare the GOP a terrorist organization. I leave you to ponder those odds.

I advocate the next Dem POTUS immediately begin a new round of BRAC and remove all military bases from red states and then just let their economies shrivel. Also, get rid of the Electoral College

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Both Lieu and Pelosi bringing up Nixon's article 3 of impeachment, contempt of Congress, this morning.

Feels a bit like a "Please proceed" moment.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both Lieu and Pelosi bringing up Nixon's article 3 of impeachment, contempt of Congress, this morning.

Feels a bit like a "Please proceed" moment.

Trump probably violated all of Andrew Johnson's articles of impeachment in his first year. Like Article X -- giving speeches that "attempt to bring into disgrace, ridicule, hatred, contempt and reproach the Congress of the United States, and the several branches thereof, to impair and destroy the regard and respect of all the good people of the United States for the Congress and legislative power thereof, (which all officers of the government ought inviolably to preserve and maintain,) and to excite the odium and resentment of all good people of the United States against Congress and the laws by it duly and constitutionally enacted; and in pursuance of his said design and intent, openly and publicly
did, on the 18th day of August, in the year of our Lord 1866, and on divers other days and times, as well before as afterward, make and declare, with a loud voice certain intemperate, inflammatory, and scandalous harangues, and therein utter loud threats and bitter menaces, as well against Congress as the laws of the United States duly enacted thereby, amid the cries, jeers and laughter of the multitudes then assembled in hearing, which are set forth in the several specifications herein- after written, in substance and effect, that it to say: etc etc"

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I think yeah they should issue contempt orders and use the sgt at arms and the capitol police to haul people in.

This will never happen. The Executive Branch has the FBI, the military, and the Secret Service (as well as DoJ). Capitol police aren't going to be busting into the WH to drag people out in cuffs.

I want impeachment. It will command the airwaves for weeks, if not months. I think zero people affiliated with Trump will respond to subpoenas. I think it'll just be Dems blasting the administration unabated for at least the first week, and if the numbers look really bad for the GOP, then maybe they'll send some stooges to try and change the narrative. But make no mistake, impeachment in 2019 is a political act, not a judicial one. There aren't 67 Senators who will impeach anybody. And Congress doesn't have the power to compel testimony. They can ask, and they can ask really really seriously, but ultimately the Executive has all the guns.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I know the Bill Maher show is contentious, but I loved watching Moore get dunked on every time he was on the panel. We also need more people like Angela Rye.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will never happen. The Executive Branch has the FBI, the military, and the Secret Service (as well as DoJ). Capitol police aren't going to be busting into the WH to drag people out in cuffs.

I want impeachment. It will command the airwaves for weeks, if not months. I think zero people affiliated with Trump will respond to subpoenas. I think it'll just be Dems blasting the administration unabated for at least the first week, and if the numbers look really bad for the GOP, then maybe they'll send some stooges to try and change the narrative. But make no mistake, impeachment in 2019 is a political act, not a judicial one. There aren't 67 Senators who will impeach anybody. And Congress doesn't have the power to compel testimony. They can ask, and they can ask really really seriously, but ultimately the Executive has all the guns.

You don't know if anyone would stop capitol police from enforcing a contempt order unless you try. What is DOJ going to do if capitol police come and arrest bar? Pull guns?

I'm sick of this shit of not even trying because you think it won't work. It's spineless.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
As fatalistic as it sounds, there a strange sort of comfort in knowing that there is and was never anything salvageable in the modern Republican party. They sold their proverbial souls long ago, ceased being patriots, and ceased even the pretense of caring about governing. And anyone in government still willing to call themselves Republicans absent a conflict of conscience is complicit in all of this.

So all you can do is stay woke, stay vigelent, and vote our Republicans at every opportunity.
I agree with this. It's helpful to be clear-eyed about who the enemy is.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
You don't know if anyone would stop capitol police from enforcing a contempt order unless you try. What is DOJ going to do if capitol police come and arrest bar? Pull guns?

I'm sick of this shit of not even trying because you think it won't work. It's spineless.

They just won't open the door. Is the Capitol Police going to kick it down? Barricade the building and go for a Waco stand-off?

Of course not. To even enter a residence, you need a warrant, and I don't know what judge could even sign one like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.