• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

Mike Bloomberg @MikeBloomberg

In 2020, the great likelihood is that an independent would just split the anti-Trump vote and end up re-electing the President. That's a risk I refused to run in 2016 and we can't afford to run it now. https://www.mikebloomberg.com/news/mike-bloomberg-statement-independent-run/

Not all billionaires are equal.

I don't agree with Bloomberg on a lot of things but his intentions are generally good and unlike Shultz he actually understands our political system. I'm glad people are telling Mr. Starbucks to sit down and get out of the way.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

The content this thread craves, shirtless bernie in 80s soviet russia for his honeymoon

edit: wow, I had bought into the fake news that he actually spent his honeymoon in USSR. They joked about it being their honeymoon because of the timing, but it was actually part of a sister city program:

The trip took place while Sanders was mayor of Burlington, Vt., from 1981 to 1989. Toward the end of his mayoral tenure, the small city on Lake Champlain launched a sister-city program with Yaroslavl, located 160 miles northeast of Moscow.

The program, which is still operating today, has facilitated exchanges between the two cities involving "mayors, business people, firefighters, jazz musicians, youth orchestras, mural painters, high school students, medical students, nurses, librarians and the (Yaroslavl) ice-hockey team," according to its website.

Along with sister-city relationships with Bethlehem in the West Bank and Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua, the Yaroslavl program was part of Sanders' unorthodox attempt to take on international issues from a small city in New England. Sanders also actively pursued his agenda outside of the country, writing letters to world leaders and even traveling to Cuba to meet with the mayor of Havana.

"Burlington had a foreign policy," he wrote in his 1997 book Outsider in the House, "because, as progressives, we understood that we all live in one world."

The bond between Burlington and Yaroslavl solidified when Sanders and his wife, as members of a 12-person delegation from Burlington, paid their Soviet counterparts a visit in 1988.

The timing of the trip was unusual. Bernie and Jane were married May 28, 1988. The delegation left Burlington the next day.

"Trust me," Sanders writes in the book. "It was a very strange honeymoon."

When reached for comment, Sanders' campaign said that the dates for the trip had already been set, and the couple "set their wedding date to coincide with that trip because they didn't want to take more time off."

In a 2007 interview, Jane Sanders also recalled the peculiar timing: "The day after we got married, we marched in a Memorial Day parade, and then we took off in a plane to start the sister city project with Yaroslavl with 10 other people on my honeymoon."

Bernie Sanders also refers to the trip sarcastically as "quiet and romantic" in his book.

https://www.politifact.com/punditfa...-will-reminds-readers-about-bernie-sanders-u/

Last edited:

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Shultz is so fuckin' boring. Hopefully that will kill his chances if he goes through with this.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Not all billionaires are equal.

I don't agree with Bloomberg on a lot of things but his intentions are generally good and unlike Shultz he actually understands our political system. I'm glad people are telling Mr. Starbucks to sit down and get out of the way.
"Let's hear your truth" tho

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The initial DCCC target list is out

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/28/politics/dccc-2020-battlefield-map-memo-texas-suburbs/index.html
  • AZ-06 -- Dave Schweikert
  • CA-22 -- Devin Nunes
  • CA-50 -- Duncan Hunter
  • CO-03 -- Scott Tipton
  • FL-15 -- Ross Spano
  • FL-18 -- Brian Mast
  • GA-07 -- Rob Woodall
  • IA-04 -- Steve King
  • IL-13 -- Rodney Davis
  • IN-05 - Susan Brooks
  • KY-06 -- Andy Barr
  • MI-06 -- Fred Upton
  • MN-01 -- Jim Hagedorn
  • MO-02 -- Ann Wagner
  • NC-02 -- George Holding
  • NC-09 -- OPEN
  • NC-13 - Ted Budd
  • NE-02 -- Don Bacon
  • NY-01 -- Lee Zeldin
  • NY-02 -- Peter King
  • NY-24 -- John Katko
  • NY-27 -- Chris Collins
  • OH-01 -- Steve Chabot
  • PA-01 -- Brian Fitzpatrick
  • PA-10 -- Scott Perry
  • PA-16 - Mike Kelly
  • TX-10 -- Mike McCaul
  • TX-21 -- Chip Roy
  • TX-22 -- Pete Olson
  • TX-23 -- Will Hurd
  • TX-24 -- Kenny Marchant
  • TX-31 -- John Carter
  • WA-03 -- Jaime Herrera Beutler

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I've made a habit the last few years of dropping leftist dog whistles in my conversations to weed these people out. Just casually saying things like "The new season of Handmaid's Tale is so good" will work miracles. Doesn't matter if you've even seen it.

I do this and I didn't even realize it.

But for a humorous example, I once did it with a guy who was the boyfriend of one of my wife's coworkers when we were out to karaoke. Said it "just wasn't his thing" despite liking sci-fi a fair amount. He also sang country-rock for his turn at the mic.

I did end up fb friending him, and to my surprise, he posts anti-Trump stuff 24/7.

Either I need to tune my whistles, or there's just some people they don't work on!

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I do this and I didn't even realize it.

But for a humorous example, I once did it with a guy who was the boyfriend of one of my wife's coworkers when we were out to karaoke. Said it "just wasn't his thing" despite liking sci-fi a fair amount. He also sang country-rock for his turn at the mic.

I did end up fb friending him, and to my surprise, he posts anti-Trump stuff 24/7.

Either I need to tune my whistles, or there's just some people they don't work on!

To be fair, I have not and don't want to watch "The Handmaid's Tale" mainly because I"m anxious over real life enough that I don't really want to put myself through a depressing too-close-to-possible dystopian drama.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/28/politics/dccc-2020-battlefield-map-memo-texas-suburbs/index.html
  • CA-22 -- Devin Nunes
  • CA-50 -- Duncan Hunter
  • CO-03 -- Scott Tipton
  • FL-15 -- Ross Spano
  • FL-18 -- Brian Mast
  • GA-07 -- Rob Woodall
  • IA-04 -- Steve King
  • IL-13 -- Rodney Davis
  • IN-05 - Susan Brooks
  • KY-06 -- Andy Barr
  • MI-06 -- Fred Upton
  • MN-01 -- Jim Hagedorn
  • MO-02 -- Ann Wagner
  • NC-09 -- OPEN
  • NC-13 - Ted Budd
  • NE-02 -- Don Bacon
  • NY-01 -- Lee Zeldin
  • NY-02 -- Peter King
  • NY-24 -- John Katko
  • NY-27 -- Chris Collins
  • OH-01 -- Steve Chabot
  • PA-10 -- Scott Perry
  • PA-16 - Mike Kelly
  • TX-10 -- Mike McCaul
  • TX-21 -- Chip Roy
  • TX-22 -- Pete Olson
  • TX-23 -- Will Hurd
  • TX-31 -- John Carter
Love seeing all that offense in TX. Even if Beto's not on the ticket, I think we get one or two of those districts due to shifting demographics

Surprised but not totally at IN-05. Brooks's margin fell pretty far against a nobody. Did Donnelly carry it or come close?

I have Pete King on retirement watch. All four statewide Democrats carried NY-02.

I'd remove if NY-27 and CA-50 if they have new incumbents by November 2020. We won't get them without scandals.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I fail to see a compelling argument in favor of Mueller's report not being released to the public in a redacted form

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Love seeing all that offense in TX. Even if Beto's not on the ticket, I think we get one or two of those districts due to shifting demographics

Surprised but not totally at IN-05. Brooks's margin fell pretty far against a nobody. Did Donnelly carry it or come close?

I have Pete King on retirement watch. All four statewide Democrats carried NY-02.

I'd remove if NY-27 and CA-50 if they have new incumbents by November 2020. We won't get them without scandals.
Donnelly did carry IN-05, albeit barely.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

• CA-22 -- Devin Nunes
  • CA-50 -- Duncan Hunter
  • CO-03 -- Scott Tipton
  • FL-15 -- Ross Spano
  • FL-18 -- Brian Mast
  • GA-07 -- Rob Woodall
  • IA-04 -- Steve King
  • IL-13 -- Rodney Davis
  • IN-05 - Susan Brooks
  • KY-06 -- Andy Barr
  • MI-06 -- Fred Upton
  • MN-01 -- Jim Hagedorn
  • MO-02 -- Ann Wagner
  • NC-09 -- OPEN
  • NC-13 - Ted Budd
  • NE-02 -- Don Bacon
  • NY-01 -- Lee Zeldin
  • NY-02 -- Peter King
  • NY-24 -- John Katko
  • NY-27 -- Chris Collins
  • OH-01 -- Steve Chabot
  • PA-10 -- Scott Perry
  • PA-16 - Mike Kelly
  • TX-10 -- Mike McCaul
  • TX-21 -- Chip Roy
  • TX-22 -- Pete Olson
  • TX-23 -- Will Hurd
  • TX-31 -- John Carter

Yes!!! Includes my district TX-22. Pete Olson is utter garbage for how diverse his district is. Refuses to hold any town halls.

Does that mean they think they will hold Lizzie's district just fine?

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Just got an email from Bernie

b32PUXg.png

🤔

I really quite dislike that Bernie essentially says "the big media elite are out to get us! They will stop at nothing! Be scared and give me money because I alone am the guy... if I run again." I don't want more politicians who talk about the media like its a shady hit squad. It has significant problems but this just feels like "Fake News!" all over again.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Yes!!! Includes my district TX-22. Pete Olson is utter garbage for how diverse his district is. Refuses to hold any town halls.

Does that mean they think they will hold Lizzie's district just fine?
It just includes targeted GOP districts, not incumbents we want to protect. Of course they're doing that, too.

I surmise that TX-07 and 32 will be fairly easy to hold in 2020, however.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
If that entire DCCC target list, in a total fever dream that will never occur, were flipped the Dem house would be veto-proof. Of course, in such an outlandish scenario there's no need since a Dem would absolutely sweep into the Oval Office, but having some margins for legislation would be grand.

Imagining being able to go to UCLA/UCB/UMich/UT for free is really wild.

Working in higher education across a few campuses, debt-free is probably the better bet for a whole host of reasons. Tuition-free would give rise to a ton of workarounds - upping room and board, upping textbook costs, administrative fees - that debt-free would tamp down. It also sounds great while affording a lot of leeway into just what debt-free means - is it repaid on work plans? Does it require community college first?

Status
Not open for further replies.