• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody will refuse to step down. Virginia Democrats are not going to completely hand over the executive branch to the Republicans. Virginia voters will (right or wrong) view this as a transparent power grab by the GOP, attempting to overturn an election, and refuse to condone it.

Nov 20, 2017
Somebody will refuse to step down. Virginia Democrats are not going to completely hand over the executive branch to the Republicans. Virginia voters will (right or wrong) view this as a transparent power grab by the GOP, attempting to overturn an election, and refuse to condone it.

I'd bet on Fairfax staying put as of now.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
There is no situation where VA ends up with a Republican governor. Calm down.
Yeah, if worst came to worst and all three of them ended up resigning, they'd make sure to appoint a Dem Lt. Governor first (who would then ascend to Governor and appoint their own LG).

Northam won by a landslide, there's no justifiable argument to buck the will of the people like that.

What the fuck VA, is there no party vetting?
Southern state where a lot of the party power structure is still based on the old Dixiecrat politics that dominated it until recently. If Northam was a candidate in 1984 and that photo came out I don't think it would have done him much damage.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah, if worst came to worst and all three of them ended up resigning, they'd make sure to appoint a Dem Lt. Governor first (who would then ascend to Governor and appoint their own LG).

Northam won by a landslide, there's no justifiable argument to buck the will of the people like that.
Do these appointees have to be confirmed?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
The current Dem party is less and less centered in the rust belt, his campaign could be dead before the rust belt comes into play in the primaries.

You say that like Bernie would end his campaign right there. lol The dude does not care about Democratic decorum, he's going to continue until the very last primary to spite The Man.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Dems need to double their efforts to find women to run

No, women are not perfect — but they're a much safer bet re:scandal, our country would benefit from more women leaders, and it's their turn to lead anyway.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
As the username and avatar imply, I'm a comic strip afficiando. Garfield is just garbage compared to good strips.

Bullshit. Watch this video and tell me that Garfield doesn't have layers.

I miss good comic strips. I just bought a Krazy Kat collection and it's kind of blowing my mind.

EDIT: Oh shit I didn't even look at your name; of course you like good-ass comic strips lol

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans have a distinct advantage with this sort of thing now because, well, Democrats still largely seem to have a sense of shame and responsibility with these situations, Northam's hemming and hawing excepted. Trump has taught Republicans that it doesn't matter what you did, just deny, deny, deny and cry "fake news".

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol the VA Democratic Party is just going to implode isn't it

Just only nominate black women from now on down there.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be more difficult to find an elected official in Virginia who hasn't worn blackface at some point.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus.
They're not all going to step down at once. They'll make sure to step down in an order that allows a Democrat replacement.
Right. Someone will get a chance to appoint a new LG (for god's sake a black woman, please) who will ascend to the governorship and then appoint his/her own LG and AG. We will not cede the executive branch.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if there wasn't photo evidence I wouldn't have admitted that.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Republicans have a distinct advantage with this sort of thing now because, well, Democrats still largely seem to have a sense of shame and responsibility with these situations, Northam's hemming and hawing excepted. Trump has taught Republicans that it doesn't matter what you did, just deny, deny, deny and cry "fake news".
I mean sure, but consider like, Roy Moore. Republicans would have been significantly better off if he hadn't stuck around. David Vitter in Louisiana thought he got a free pass for his own scandal until he lost the gubernatorial race.

Yeah, they don't always lose (Trump, obviously), but the notion that Republicans just get away with everything doesn't really hold up. When Franken stepped down, he was replaced by a Democrat. The Virginia Democrats will be too.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have some insight on why the dem MN state seat was lost? Sounds like the district went Obama-trump but it was dem for 20 years.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
After the AG is the speaker of the house who is republican.
Not that I think they'd give a shit if he had or hadn't done it either way.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

They did this before Trump.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
My understanding is it's also very hard to get blackface off if you use shoe polish. There's the Roddy Piper story of him needing like two weeks to get it all off after he did it on half his face for WrestleMania. In other words, it's racism that just sticks around.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
I mean sure, but consider like, Roy Moore. Republicans would have been significantly better off if he hadn't stuck around.

Right, but that was a rather extreme example. Even conservative Alabamans were like, "I don't know about this" when it came to a pedophile. Wearing black-face 30-40 years ago? I have the sinking suspicion that many Republicans would just shrug that off, whereas most Democrats are calling for Northam to resign.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Anyone have some insight on why the dem MN state seat was lost? Sounds like the district went Obama-trump but it was dem for 20 years.
Well-liked incumbent for a billion years. Low turnout special election that reverted largely to its presidential trend.

Important to keep in mind that the Dem success in Minnesota didn't come from Obama-Trump places flipping back so much as the areas that were already trending D (i.e. wealthier, better educated suburbs) racing left.

Right, but that was a rather extreme example. Even conservative Alabamans were like, "I don't know about this" when it came to a pedophile. Wearing black-face 30-40 years ago? I have the sinking suspicion that many Republicans would just shrug that off, whereas most Democrats are calling for Northam to resign.
Sure, but then it would damage them in the general.

If a Republican was caught in blackface in Virginia in 2019, it would absolutely doom them in the general election (assuming it was a statewide race and not some safely gerrymandered red district in God-knows-where). You're probably right that they'd be less likely to resign than a Democrat, but I wouldn't want to be in that boat as a Republican.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Bullshit. Watch this video and tell me that Garfield doesn't have layers.

I miss good comic strips. I just bought a Krazy Kat collection and it's kind of blowing my mind.

EDIT: Oh shit I didn't even look at your name; of course you like good-ass comic strips lol

I can't watch the video but the first year or two when Davis actually wrote and drew the strip it was a lot better. It's when it turned into the licensing machine produced by committee (which Davis intended from the start) that it got bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.