Status
Not open for further replies.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
What the fuck you blithering idiots

Has Forma weighed in yet

Also what makes this situation different for Gillary than Franken?

Great screencap though kcp.

Maybe because she is tired from being yelled at from the first time around? Not that it's okay, but I could see a person in her ear saying it's bad optics to do it again.

Oct 25, 2017
It's more that they assume everyone are hypocrites like they are. They're also probably torn between piling up on a Democrat or supporting his racism, a real GOP quandary.

2snnt4.jpg

Obligatory.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because she is tired from being yelled at from the first time around? Not that it's okay, but I could see a person in her ear saying it's bad optics to do it again.
Look on Twitter. People are still yelling at her even after she changed her mind and she called for him to resign.

Also those yelling are just a very vocal MINORITY and always were.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
You know stock in Justin Fairfax 2024/2028 just shot the fuck up

The last time Virginia had a D trifecta might as well not even be relevant because of how much the parties have shifted since then. Fairfax will probably get one in less than a year. So many progressive initiatives are suddenly going to become possible and he'll get to own 100% of it.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Just as a thought experiment, is there a scenario where Northam did this and shouldn't resign? Like if he had made "I used to be a racist but then I understood how hurtful that was" a part of his personal narrative as he rose through the ranks? Or is that picture so over the line that there's simply no coming back from it?

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
Look on Twitter. People are still yelling at her even after she changed her mind and she called for him to resign.

Also those yelling are just a very vocal MINORITY and always were.

Oh I know it kept following her and it wasn't a huge group, but it still was a talking point. She changed her mind right quick after some others dove in first, which again makes me believe it was an adviser whispering to wait though.

Oct 25, 2017
Just as a thought experiment, is there a scenario where Northam did this and shouldn't resign? Like if he had made "I used to be a racist but then I understood how hurtful that was" a part of his personal narrative as he rose through the ranks? Or is that picture so over the line that there's simply no coming back from it?

The blackface might have been something he could have come back from...but the blackface + the Grand Wizard of the KKK is death. No chance.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Cory Booker @CoryBooker

These images arouse centuries of anger, anguish, and racist violence and they've eroded all confidence in Gov. Northam's ability to lead. We should expect more from our elected officials. He should resign.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017

You would have to be the one who unveiled it, and you would have had to do it before you got elected to a major office to own it to a degree where even MAYBE it's okay to be elected in 2019 -- and I mean like you do it before you even choose to run. And even then I don't think it's for a major office if you're running as a Dem. I think with more and more "conservative" Dems dying off in the social part of the left, this is about as bad as it gets for an electable issue in most blue states.

Like what's worse than being thought of as a racist and being a Dem? Is there any position that makes you less electable on the left?

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty clear based on their reactions here which candidates are the leaders and which are the followers.

I wish Booker and Gillibrand long and illustrious careers in the Senate (maybe even governor someday!).

If it was previously known and he had worked that shit off with a lifetime of action, sure.

Like, if he was 20 years younger, he could still come back from this, but you have to put in the work to earn back what you lost. The world is full of reformed bigots.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
Also it feels like with more and more people getting in front of this now that Triple K to the BFace is telling peeps he's resigning.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't really feel like someone waiting an hour or two more than someone else to make a response is a big deal or disqualifying or whatever. Who even knows what he was doing, maybe he was in a meeting or something.

Nobody will care in 2020 that Booker took 1 hour longer to respond to a long gone Virginian governor's scandal

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Like what's worse than being thought of as a racist and being a Dem? Is there any position that makes you less electable on the left?
I think you overestimate the "leftness" of the white Ds in places like Virginia.

Nobody will care in 2020 that Booker took 1 hour longer to respond to a long gone Virginian governor's scandal
Booker's first reaction was for us all to hold hands and sing songs of forgiveness.

People will remember that. And how he later changed his tune only after it was clear he was standing alone.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really feel like someone waiting an hour or two more than someone else to make a response is a big deal or disqualifying or whatever. Who even knows what he was doing, maybe he was in a meeting or something.

This is true. Making a good response is what will matter in the end. Being slow will be embarrassing today but nobody will remember who responded when by the end of the weekend. Just that there was a response.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Terry McAuliffe @TerryMcAuliffe

This has been a heartbreaking day. Ralph Northam is my friend and he served well as my Lt. Governor and as Governor. His actions on display in this photo were racist, unacceptable and inexcusable at any age and any time.

The situation that he has put himself and the Commonwealth of Virginia in is untenable. It's time for Ralph to step down, and for the Commonwealth to move forward.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, but only if he reveals it himself, and resigns public office. Then he could run without hiding it from voters.

Basically, apologies should be expected, and I think people are willing to forgive after some time, but the clock starts when it comes out, not before. And it has to be your own revelation.

Essentially, the sin is compounded by the fact that Northam was happy to never tell anyone at all about his past actions.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I think you overestimate the "leftness" of the white Ds in places like Virginia.

Booker's first reaction was for us all to hold hands and sing songs of forgiveness.

People will remember that. And how he later changed his tune only after it was clear he was standing alone.
I don't believe that anyone will remember this even happened in a month. Let alone a year and a half later

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017

Terry McAuliffe @TerryMcAuliffe

This has been a heartbreaking day. Ralph Northam is my friend and he served well as my Lt. Governor and as Governor. His actions on display in this photo were racist, unacceptable and inexcusable at any age and any time.

The situation that he has put himself and the Commonwealth of Virginia in is untenable. It's time for Ralph to step down, and for the Commonwealth to move forward.

tenor.gif

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I feel if something shameful from the past had come out on their own terms, at a moment that didn't seem opportunistic, I would normally be open to hearing a politician or public figure discuss how they have changed / grown... BUT because this is sooooo fuckin racist (or homophonic, sexist, whatever else a thing might be) it's just immediately disqualifying. Sometimes it's just too much. Like... the affected community would have to come out and make the case for this guy's redemption story before I'd hear it.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
Oh, I think they'll remember, because it fits a pattern.

This is who he is (and why he's not going anywhere in the primary). A new situation, but the same old shit.

Yeah I would put it more in this group. If it fits a "pattern" then it's remembered more. If it were just a a "one hour later thing" for a person who is generally consistent on this stuff then I would tend to agree with it being forgotten.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least you'd have to start with a strong, unqualified, unambiguous condemnation of what you did / explanation of why it was 100% wrong. Northam's statement didn't even check that box. It was closer to "oh...oops."

Let's go, Governor Fairfax!

Oct 25, 2017

This will literally not matter lol.

I know it's extremely hard to detach ourselves from what really matters and what doesn't being hyper focused on politics 24/7 but people really don't notice this stuff. Unless CNN/MSNBC do a segment on it. which they won't.

Last edited:

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
fucking lol
"oh wait, i can't score political points so i'm back to saying racism isn't that bad after all"

Booker already has a giant "showboat" problem and I guarantee you we're not done hearing that term. I think he's toast. More than Gabbard in some ways. Not his ability. His mien.
I don't disagree with that, but I think that's going to be discussed in a lot of ways that don't refer to this particular event. I thought he was toast before he declared.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

I thought the first tweet just said Booker hadn't responded — afaik his first response was call to resign.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm surprised Erickson didn't go with "he should resign because he kills babies, not because he's racist."

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fucking lol
"oh wait, i can't score political points so i'm back to saying racism isn't that bad after all"

I don't disagree with that, but I think that's going to be discussed in a lot of ways that don't refer to this particular event. I thought he was toast before he declared.

Whoa at Erickson bad is good good is bad timeline! Flash level speedforce.

Edit. And yes even his unlucky timing today suggests a lame candidacy. Kamala's issues are ironically balanced by angry older people appreciating her ability to lock them up.

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I feel if something shameful from the past had come out on their own terms, at a moment that didn't seem opportunistic, I would normally be open to hearing a politician or public figure discuss how they have changed / grown... BUT because this is sooooo fuckin racist (or homophonic, sexist, whatever else a thing might be) it's just immediately disqualifying. Sometimes it's just too much. Like... the affected community would have to come out and make the case for this guy's redemption story before I'd hear it.
Truly "evolved 1" thanks for the inisght

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Truly "evolved 1" thanks for the inisght

Seems like a pretty weird post to go after tbh. He's making a reasonable point. If Northam had been elected after coming clean on this as a legitimate evolution early in his political career and maybe actually explained wtf this was - instead of what it actually was - a grown ass post graduate almost doctor dressing up in blackface and then hiding it for years - it legitimately would be a different situation. I heard an NAACP rep make a similar point not two hours ago along with the same immediate call for resignation.

I don't know what kind of explanation would pass any sort of muster but a hell of a lot better then than now.

Status
Not open for further replies.