• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I think Kavanaugh still gets confirmed but you can make it fucking HURT politically. Nuke Heller. Nuke Cruz. Get Gardner on the record. Get Collins.
This is where I am.

Not that I'm treating Kavanaugh's confirmation as a lost cause yet, but this news should be treated as not just an indictment of Kavanaugh or this sham of a process, but of the entire Republican party specifically.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
And let's also not forget that they're going to force through a sexual assailant barely ONE MONTH before election day.

GOP already has a 20-point deficit among women. Confirming Kavanaugh one month before the election could not only double that deficit with women but get GOP voters even more complacent because they got their justice. (And as the NYT article the other day demonstrated, they're already complacent.)

We could be looking at a landslide.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I think Kavanaugh still gets confirmed but you can make it fucking HURT politically. Nuke Heller. Nuke Cruz. Get Gardner on the record. Get Collins.

Collins is one thing, she seems to be on the "i have no future" route. Heller's allegedly neck-and-neck although debatably he's been in YOLO mode since last year.

But yeah, Gardner, Ernst, Cruz in a tightening race. McConnell himself. Somebody should be running red-state polls.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Collins is one thing, she seems to be on the "i have no future" route. Heller's allegedly neck-and-neck although debatably he's been in YOLO mode since last year.

But yeah, Gardner, Ernst, Cruz in a tightening race. McConnell himself. Somebody should be running red-state polls.
The thing is, they also have to balance if it hurts them more with their own base not to confirm him than hurting themselves with independents to not.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If Cruz votes no, it will obliterate his career.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. That's the point. People going "it doesn't matter!!!" are looking at this in a binary sense. Yes he gets confirmed, but what was a BAU vote is now a difficult one. Get these fucks on the record.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
It's amazing how badly the Republicans have botched this SCOTUS nomination. It could have been so easy for them and provided their base with a victory.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

I wonder how many girls this secret society preyed on?

Kavanaugh is a steady conservative and a devout Catholic who attended Georgetown Prep, a Jesuit school in North Bethesda, Maryland. He's spent much of his career inside the Beltway, forging tight connections to the Washington Republican establishment. His confirmation has ignited ire on the left, who fear he will tilt the Supreme Court to the right and could help roll back abortion rights, among other issues.

Sherry took issue not with Kavanaugh's membership in TNC — "Yale in the '80s was very sexually liberal," she said — but with the idea that someone who had "partied" so liberally might take part in overturning Roe v. Wade. "It's the height of hypocrisy," Sherry said.
"Fuck ya'll, got mine." - Ancient Republican proverb.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any dem that votes yes on an attempted rapist is probably getting primaried and won't be in the senate much longer.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
GOP already has a 20-point deficit among women. Confirming Kavanaugh one month before the election could not only double that deficit with women but get GOP voters even more complacent because they got their justice. (And as the NYT article the other day demonstrated, they're already complacent.)

We could be looking at a landslide.
I think this is great analysis. The swing in woman vote is rooted in Trump and #MeToo. Pushing Kavanaugh through will be like rubbing their faces in how powerless they are.

I'm really curious about Murkowski's play here. I imagine there will be a lot of polls being conducted tomorrow.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it is weak at all, the last thing we need Schumer to do is to come over the top with bombast and make this thing about him. He is playing this the way he needs to. What does a firebrand statement from Schumer accomplish right now?
The bombast comments are coming up tomorrow on the morning shows. Schumer should get ahead of the programme.

He's a problematic candidate for multiple other reasons long before this, give something for Ds to campaign on

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I'm starting to agree that this might actually give red state dems cover to vote against Kavanaugh, not because of his views, but on the grounds that this is being rushed through without a full investigation.

Of course Rs care nothing for this, but yeah, destroy them with it in the midterms.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It's amazing how badly the Republicans have botched this SCOTUS nomination. It could have been so easy for them and provided their base with a victory.

Because they always want more. It's not enough to want a conservative justice, you have to get a scumbag who's made a career out of triggering the libs. A win doesn't count unless you really stick the knife in.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
This is where I am.

Not that I'm treating Kavanaugh's confirmation as a lost cause yet, but this news should be treated as not just an indictment of Kavanaugh or this sham of a process, but of the entire Republican party specifically.

They have been consistent, brazen and proud of being on the wrong side of everything since Trump got them the Presidency. This is like the 100th indictment on the party in just the last 2 years so its not like there is any chance they change their stripes now. They don't care because win or loose in November the reality is that as conservatism goes they have won big because their victories, unlike those of Democrats which are mostly on policy issues that get undone as soon as a conservative gets into the Presidency, theirs will outlive maybe even some of us with not much of a way to change thing quickly. The GOP may loose big in November but inserting their justices assures them victories where they don't even need to be in office because policy is then done through court challenges to laws by their conservative groups with the real money and power.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Time for the Senate Dems to grow a fucking spine, close ranks, and finally put some pressure on McConnell to whip the votes. This should be a vote that bleeds Collins, Gardner, Tillis, etc. en route to 2020.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Spent the afternoon driving 2.5 hours back and forth going to a fucking toddler's birthday party (and only staying an hour and half because I drove my elderly uncle and he wanted to go home)... come home to heroism and pure bullshit in response to it. About what I expected. Ms. Ford is a hero.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
This will not be the last thing to come out about Kavanaugh, especially once Dems have the chance to pick through his history properly. He'll be a useful bludgeon for as long as he's on the bench.

Feb 14, 2018
Time for the Senate Dems to grow a fucking spine, close ranks, and finally put some pressure on McConnell to whip the votes. This should be a vote that bleeds Collins, Gardner, Tillis, etc. en route to 2020.
Christ. 51 Republicans vote to put a would-be rapist on the SCOTUS. It's obviously the Democrats' fault for not putting enough pressure on them to have a conscience. Because that's all it would take.

Everyone using this situation to make disingenuous attacks on Dems goes straight onto my shit list.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Channeling my anger by knocking on doors for Cisneros. Will report later.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Forget where I heard it, but someone pointed out that Lisa Murkowski might be a little more sensitive to his anti Native American positions because of the population of Alaska. Has she said anything about those comments of his?

Feb 14, 2018
Forget where I heard it, but someone pointed out that Lisa Murkowski might be a little more sensitive to his anti Native American positions because of the population of Alaska. Has she said anything about those comments of his?
Not sure if she has addressed that, but you probably heard it from Hirono via Maddow. Hirono made a point of emphasizing that angle during the hearings. Maddow explained the strategy of that angle.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Christ. 51 Republicans vote to put a would-be rapist on the SCOTUS. It's obviously the Democrats' fault for not putting enough pressure on them to have a conscience. Because that's all it would take.

Everyone using this situation to make disingenuous attacks on Dems goes straight onto my shit list.

You're completely misrepresenting what I wrote. There are 8-10 senators who we can target in 2020 for a supermajority that will likely vote for a rapist. The best way to make them all pay a steep political price is to put up a united front. This was why GOP obstruction against Obama was so electorally successful.

Red state dems who think that confirming Kavanaugh will save their jobs are playing under the old rules, if those rules ever existed at all. You will destroy the fragile, narrow coalition that elected you in the first place.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really is depressing, although not at all surprising, that Ford's allegations have increased focus on Murkowski and Collins, but not on their male Republican colleagues. Because it is such a given that they won't give a shit about women.

The shame Republicans face for their actions in this moment needs to not be forgotten. It needs to last decades.
Very true. And not just their male colleagues in general, but even their male colleagues that are specifically retiring this year. Flake, Corker, and Hatch. Considering their retiring anyway, it should be if anything easier on them to vote against Trump and hold his terrible choice accountable. But it's just such a given that not a single one of them care that no one's even bothering with them despite their retirement from the Senate theoretically easier for them not to give a fuck about Trump or McConnell or any of that. It's just that much of a given that they don't care about any of this, right from the get go.

Same here. I agree with this. Like I said, it's clear that Republicans are prepared to deal with anything when it comes to Kavanaugh and holding onto that seat. But at the same time, it's also quite clear why McConnell et al wanted Trump to go with literally anyone BUT Kavanaugh.

But, well, this is the way things are going, apparently. So that being the case, they get to pay the price for that choice. At least I hope to dear God they do.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Graham statement:

DnPnWDzUYAAMJGG.jpg:large

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Graham's statement is weird. Some information is not comparable to other information. Like "he'll be a conservative judge" does not balance out "he sexually assaulted someone"

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the logic of jamming this through now given the huge potential for electoral backlash, as opposed to just sneaking through, say, Barrett in the lame duck when there will be no pressure on any of these senators - and they can use it to goose turnout.

I guess this is where the wildly misaligned incentives of the House map (suburban women) vs. Senate map (rural, rural, rural red states everywhere) comes into play.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a cover-my-ass-so-reporters-dont-bother-me answer.

Rs will push the nomination while Ds will ask for an investigation lol

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the logic of jamming this through now given the huge potential for electoral backlash, as opposed to just sneaking through, say, Barrett in the lame duck when there will be no pressure on any of these senators - and they can use it to goose turnout.

I guess this is where the wildly misaligned incentives of the House map (suburban women) vs. Senate map (rural, rural, rural red states everywhere) comes into play.
There seems to be a rush to get this guy in to protect Trump. That's the only reason I can understand.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Graham's statement is weird. Some information is not comparable to other information. Like "he'll be a conservative judge" does not balance out "he sexually assaulted someone"
Yeah a reporter should ask him, hell all of them, point blank "so is putting a potential sexual predator on the SC worth getting abortion voted down or restricted?"

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Republicans are so addicted to power that we're getting takes like "Personally, I don't think teenage rapes count." If given the chance they'd make the statute of limitations 48 hrs for sexual assault.

Roy Moore getting props from the likes of Hannity was just a warmup. Wittes getting exposed was eye-opening. The party has completely lost whatever soul it had, "moderates" are falling over themselves to make sure Brett gets his shot.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on how much you ascribe to the "Roberts is concerned with his image" theory

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe OT, but what is happening in the UK?

Now why oh why would Russian spies sabotage a lab conducting a test on an attack they had nothing to do with?

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Most of them and by most 99.9, percent of conservative representatives , pundits, and lobbyist would defend him if video evidence of him abusing a kid came out

Status
Not open for further replies.