Status
Not open for further replies.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Can you explain why this takes so long? I accepted the position with DoS in August, submitted that huge background check document shortly after, sent in the fingerprints and whatnot and have only been contacted twice for further information and that was like 2 months ago that I last heard anything. Is it normal to wait 5+ months?

It's normal to wait upwards of a year.

The problem is that there's, frankly, too many people with security clearances that don't need them. Originally, OPM worked investigations - but then they spun off an agency a few years ago (NBIB) and now they're getting ready to spin it off to DoD. The problem is that there just isn't enough investigators. The government relies HEAVILY on contractors (about 90% of all investigations are done by contractors). Things got worse in 2014 when they abruptly canceled the contract of USIS (my old company), which had about 4,000 investigators nationwide. Yeah, they laid off around 4,000 people - and it didn't even make a blip in the national news. The other contractors have never been able to pick up the slack.

Investigations take time - they have to interview people you list, and find people you didn't. They go to where you lived, they go to old jobs, they do law checks in ever city/state you've lived/worked. Then when the reports from all over the country are finalized, they're internally reviewed by contractors at two different levels, then the government reviews it, then the specific agency you work for reviews it. If, at any point in the process, any reviewer has a question... they kick it all the way back down to the investigator and the whole thing starts all over again.

Depending on your agency, you're likely to be granted an interim clearance that'll let you get started. Because the wait is so long. And to make matters worse, if you hold an active clearance - you have to go through the whole process every 6 years (it used to be 5 years, but they changed it to 6 because the backlog was so insane).

Basically, the entire security clearance industry is a goddamn joke and the public largely has no idea. It's insane. You'll be fine, though. Everyone goes through it. It's a long wait, it's a huge pain in the ass, but everyone can commiserate because everyone goes through it.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, remember way back, 14 hours ago, when we thought we might have a Mueller Friday?

I really wish Don Jr. were being indicted right now.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017

[B]Ed O'Keefe[/B]‏Verified account @[B]edokeefe[/B] 22m22 minutes ago
More
TEXT: President Trump's re-election campaign is now fundraising off of the impending government shutdown.

Du9kIMMW0AEIiic.jpg:large

[B]Mosheh Oinounou[/B]‏Verified account @[B]Mosheh[/B] 53m53 minutes ago
More
. @LindseyGrahamSC calling for hearing into Syria/Afghanistan moves: "If we went to 7k in Afghanistan without it being part of a broader strategy to protect our national security that would be worse than anything Obama did" per @alanhe

ROGUE LINDSEY

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$4700 a month take home - $2160 monthly spending > $2500 surplus.

I was counting the donations in the surplus.

The problem here is the rent and utilities are way too cheap, there's no student loans listed, and if you have a car that adds another $500+ a month with inurance and gas.

That 4700 goes up in smoke pretty quick. And then most people who make 100k probably have kids, multiple cars, and mortgage, property tax, extra utilities, home insurance, more insurance, etc. There aren't a ton of 25 year old 100kers running around.

It all adds up quickly and it's why nearly everyone is basically living pay check to pay check. Living beyond your means basically is the American dream.

Aug 1, 2018
Surprised he hasn't sent out a "Have your name engraved into the wall, donate now!"

Or sell actual engraved bricks "We Love Trump! From the Tanners! MAGA!"

Edit: beaten

Wow, I'm actually shocked they haven't either. That's like the ultimate grift!

Rand Paul? My Fiscal Libertarian Senator Cant Be This Undecided

I think he's trying to wait it out and hope his vote doesn't matter so that he can pretend to be "fiscally responsible"

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jake Sherman @JakeSherman

LAMAR ALEXANDER says that the senate should move to $1.6 billion and move on.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Same deal, but yes. In effect GOP would be scraping and bowing to Dems to take DACA for a pittance of his wall instead of us offering the entirety of his wall funded for a pittance of DACA.

Aug 1, 2018
You mean the bill from last year that Dump also backed out of?

Trump will make them rename it to the "Totally new deal that isn't the deal from last year and even if it was, this deal is like 1 billion times better than that other deal because we (Republicans!) win and the low energy, obstructionist DEMS lose!" Deal

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC Dems actually offered more funding for the wall back then (wasn't it like 20 billion?) in exchange for DACA path to citizenship, and Trump torpedoed it.
Schumer offered 25 billion, specifically for the wall, in exchange for DACA. Can you imagine the shit that would fly if he proposed the same thing today :lol

Aaron

Dreamcast Political Party
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
IIRC Dems actually offered more funding for the wall back then (wasn't it like 20 billion?) in exchange for DACA path to citizenship, and Trump torpedoed it.
Yeah Schumer put a deal on the table to fully reinstate DACA (and with a path to citizenship I think?) in exchange for fully funding the wall from the outset. Trump turned it down.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Lisa Desjardins @LisaDNews

MCCONNELL literally has a button that says "Senate Cranky Coalition". And he stopped to show us, saying it is the unanimous sentiment of Senate Republicans.

du9u8zewoaanquth9id0.jpg

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Schumer offered 25 billion, specifically for the wall, in exchange for DACA. Can you imagine the shit that would fly if he proposed the same thing today :lol

Thanks, I was thinking that it was for 25 billion, but couldn't remember that far back. It feels like a decade has passed since that offer.

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
It's normal to wait upwards of a year.

The problem is that there's, frankly, too many people with security clearances that don't need them. Originally, OPM worked investigations - but then they spun off an agency a few years ago (NBIB) and now they're getting ready to spin it off to DoD. The problem is that there just isn't enough investigators. The government relies HEAVILY on contractors (about 90% of all investigations are done by contractors). Things got worse in 2014 when they abruptly canceled the contract of USIS (my old company), which had about 4,000 investigators nationwide. Yeah, they laid off around 4,000 people - and it didn't even make a blip in the national news. The other contractors have never been able to pick up the slack.

Investigations take time - they have to interview people you list, and find people you didn't. They go to where you lived, they go to old jobs, they do law checks in ever city/state you've lived/worked. Then when the reports from all over the country are finalized, they're internally reviewed by contractors at two different levels, then the government reviews it, then the specific agency you work for reviews it. If, at any point in the process, any reviewer has a question... they kick it all the way back down to the investigator and the whole thing starts all over again.

Depending on your agency, you're likely to be granted an interim clearance that'll let you get started. Because the wait is so long. And to make matters worse, if you hold an active clearance - you have to go through the whole process every 6 years (it used to be 5 years, but they changed it to 6 because the backlog was so insane).

Basically, the entire security clearance industry is a goddamn joke and the public largely has no idea. It's insane. You'll be fine, though. Everyone goes through it. It's a long wait, it's a huge pain in the ass, but everyone can commiserate because everyone goes through it.

Literally 4 minutes after I read this, I got an email saying that I was granted full clearance.

f010920d8b80c9f5835a7b284abbed7616d1a0ab_00.gif

plagiarize

Khive rise up
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
L

the dems offered this last year and trump agreed then walked away. I would take it if the wall number is "only" 1.6 billion but let's be real trump will say no again.
Anything that underlines who is to blame for this I'm good with.

As I recall Chuck's $25 billion was more of a pledged amount split into smaller amounts that could be pulled down the line. It wasn't *that* stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.