Status
Not open for further replies.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big fan of Chuck, but couldn't any single Dem have stopped this? Remember when Sherrod Brown denied unanimous consent to that anti-tariff thing, well why couldn't he do the same here?

Don't think Chuck should catch all of the blame if any single Dem could have stepped in.
I don't think a single Senator could've stopped anything, one Senator can not give consent and they do a full vote:

Maybe the D Senators are too deferential to Schumer, IDK. It seems most of them wanted to recess

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of things about this moment in politics that I hate, but people whining about Democrats not stopping Republicans in Congress when they have no power to do so has to be at the top of the list. Especially when the same people whining about Democrats now were probably doing it 2 years ago and helped get us in this mess.

This is idiotic. There is actually stuff the Democrats have power to do here that they are not doing. If you assume everybody is a Buster you'll end up not actually understanding what the Dems could and could not do. But you'll be very confident in your ignorance!

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting anecdotal data from OK: Kevin Stitt may indeed win, but I've noticed no enthusiasm for him. Absolutely none.

But then again, I run in teacher circles, and we're probably voting 90-10 for Edmondson, and in greater numbers than in past years.

Also a fairly large Republicans for Edmondson presence.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
The only way this deal makes sense is if the Dems know that getting 51 seats is almost impossible so may as well get a few progressive judges seated before the election.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So why are people upset at that Schumer McConnell deal? It's not like Schumer had any power to stop the judges from being confirmed. So what exactly is the big deal?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dem voters are mad as shit at the state of the union right now and we want urgency. We want fire and fury, goddamnit. The Obama era attempts at bipartsianship are dead and they should be dead.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the VA-10 poll, it's early, but Wexton appears to have incredible name ID for a challenger. Also +24 in favorability.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of whether or not it would have worked, I think it's clear from public statements and actions that Chuck Schumer is not comfortable playing hardball. I'm certain he knows he could have kept a skeleton crew, like everyone is saying, and dragged this out. That just wouldn't be "fair play" in some bizarre, antiquated notion. If we take back the Senate, we gotta let someone else lead.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the hardest I've seen Schumer push for anything is that bill that would have criminalized BDS.

But it's hard to be mad this time, given that apparently some Obama appointees are going through?

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like the hardest I've seen Schumer push for anything is that bill that would have criminalized BDS.

But it's hard to be mad this time, given that apparently some Obama appointees are going through?
The most backbone Schumer ever showed was when he loudly dissented from Obama on the Iran deal lmao.

I can't believe we had people here legit argue his talk about reinstating the filibuster was just "Keeping his hand close to his chest", yeah he is clearly a master card player

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Hope that MN-8 poll goes our way. If we pick up MN-2 and 3 but it's a wash because we lose 1 and 8 that's gonna be some bullshit.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most backbone Schumer ever showed was when he loudly dissented from Obama on the Iran deal lmao.

I can't believe we had people here legit argue his talk about reinstating the filibuster was just "Keeping his hand close to his chest", yeah he is clearly a master card player
It's about protecting red-state senators from the votes in the event they retake the senate since a 41-vote fillibuster is effectively a total blockade. Two can play the bad faith game.

It's also a tell that Amy Klobuchar isn't running because she floated it.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Amazon should get into the polling business. I'll be damned if their psychographic profile of me doesn't anticipate my need for Tide Pods and trash bags, and then notify me about it

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
omPy70v.png

Some are predicting that Denver "won" the Amazon HQ bid

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
It's about protecting red-state senators from the votes in the event they retake the senate since a 41-vote fillibuster is effectively a total blockade. Two can play the bad faith game.

It's also a tell that Amy Klobuchar isn't running because she floated it.
Until he doesn't get rid of it if we get a Dem Potus. Which both Klobucher and Durbin have hinted they wanted.

The point is trying to paint Schumer as a schemer of any sort is farcical, it doesn't back up how he acts, how he messages, how he sloppily waits to long to make pics and how he leaps to massage Trump's balls whenever he does anything Schumer. How unbelievably unorganized his caucus is "Were not that organized" infuckingdeed

Its propping up a mediocre white male politician. "Literal Strong White daddy syndrome" For a dude who has done nothing to deserve it because you and others have fantasies about him secretly being a cutthroat bidding time till he can nuke the fillibuster, stack the lower courts in a progressive wave, and not the obvious anchor on any type of progress he is going to be.

Its just the opposite end of people projecting whatever the fuck they wanted onto Trump to believe him during the election, to a less absurd extreme

Edit: The fact that only Warren said anything really says it all about how much we could trust Harris or any of the others to twist his arm when the time comes.

Jesus Christ

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warren is fundraising for Tina Smith. I hope Warren does run.

What's interesting is that Painter actually did seem to help Tina towards taking a very hard line anti-trump stance.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Until he doesn't get rid of it if we get a Dem Potus. Which both Klobucher and Durbin have hinted they wanted.

The point is trying to paint Schumer as a schemer of any sort is farcical, it doesn't back up how he acts, how he messages, how he sloppily waits to long to make pics and how he leaps to massage Trump's balls whenever he does anything Schumer. How unbelievably unorganized his caucus is "Were not that organized" infuckingdeed

Its propping up a mediocre white male politician. "Literal Strong White daddy syndrome" For a dude who has done nothing to deserve it because you and others have fantasies about him secretly being a cutthroat bidding time till he can nuke the fillibuster, stack the lower courts in a progressive wave, and not the obvious anchor on any type of progress he is going to be.

Its just the opposite end of people projecting whatever the fuck they wanted onto Trump to believe him during the election, to a less absurd extreme

Edit: The fact that only Warren said anything really says it all about how much we could trust Harris or any of the others to twist his arm when the time comes.

Jesus Christ
Their primary concern is making sure as many red-staters get elected in a nasty election cycle. I get why they're doing it. Things have trade-offs. No one's a goddamn god-emperor.

Add more states, fix the problem. We need major action the next time we have a trifecta, and luckily for everyone, we're about to have a fun time discussing shit like that when the primary election cycle starts in a month. I don't think Schumer is inclined to do those things, which is why we need a candidate who WILL pressure him to do them (or step aside.)

But that isn't this cycle, where we need to win as many of those goddamn elections as possible.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Their primary concern is making sure as many red-staters get elected in a nasty election cycle. I get why they're doing it. Things have trade-offs. No one's a goddamn god-emperor.

Add more states, fix the problem. We need major action the next time we have a trifecta, and luckily for everyone, we're about to have a fun time discussing shit like that when the primary election cycle starts in a month. I don't think Schumer is inclined to do those things, which is why we need a candidate who WILL pressure him to do them (or step aside.)

But that isn't this cycle, where we need to win as many of those goddamn elections as possible.
Considering everyone that wasnt Warren didnt say shit about this, you better hope She makes noise forcing the others to move on it.

Though I guess that makes Schatz already breaching that subject even stranger, he's part of Dem leadership so was he speaking with there authority or was he just going solo to force it into the conversation.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering everyone that wasnt Warren didnt say shit about this, you better hope She makes noise forcing the others to move on it.

Though I guess that makes Schatz already breaching that subject even stranger, he's part of Dem leadership so was he speaking with there authority or was he just going solo to force it into the conversation.
The filibuster thing you need to lie about until you actually bust it.

The states thing you don't.

There's a reason Warren/Gillibrand are at the top of my voting list! I think they'd go hardball!

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
That's the other part of this that isn't seen. Not all of these are horrible picks.
Yeah there is a bit of nuance to it I suppose. Doesn't mean it's a great strategy or trade-off but Schumer's not totally rolling over.

Looking at that tweet, only three of the nine judges voted on were passed on a party line vote, while one was held over entirely because of the ABA rating (the GOP applies this selectively then?). One - Martha Pacold - got three Dem No votes from Hirono, Booker and Harris so I'd guess they're still a bad pick, but that doesn't seem too bad overall.

When they say "1/6 of all District Court judges are now Trump appointees," are these Obama nominees included?
Yes.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait I had no idea there was any sort of bundling going on where they nominate a few token liberal judges here in there in these bundles.

How many of the judges fall into this bucket?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Just looked them up. Gallagher, McElroy and Rowland were all failed Obama nominees. Not to put too much stock into that but I'm guessing they're fine then.

Seeger and Pacold got significant bipartisan support but are new Trump nominees so eh?

Wait I had no idea there was any sort of bundling going on where they nominate a few token liberal judges here in there in these bundles.

How many of the judges fall into this bucket?
3 out of the 8 who were approved by the judiciary committee (as listed by the Twitter thread upthread) were Obama nominees. Seems like they also put a Trump nominee on ice over the ABA giving him an unqualified rating.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Imagining if Turkey releases the evidence of Khashoggi's murder. International firestorm.

Trump is not going to do a thing though. Which is going to be really sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.