captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Actually you did. It's a part of the standard terms of service for any cell provider that uses post-pay. Unless you're buying minutes in bulk and loading them up on your phone, you've given your cell company the ability to sell your information.
... Which is bullshit because you pretty much need a cell phone in this day and age.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the more this shit comes out the more I'm like were luddites really that wrong?

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not saying Russia and Trump corruption isn't news worthy, but wouldn't it be nice if this got, say, at least a few segments of coverage worth? I mean we are losing all of our privacy consistently and it's just being buried. With the amount of smart phones owned in the country, it should be on local news all the way to national.

Things like these may just be to abstract for a larger audience to understand... or rather, people think they understand the gist and "can't do anything anyway" or the usual "I want them to have my data to provide better services"-crap.
It's sad... but if even places like era a littered with these types of people, how much do you think the general population would care...

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i hate posts like this, its a hand wave of "what did you expect anyway" which does nothing to address the problem or further discussion.
I knew my cell data was accessible by the cell company and any app i authorized. But i did not authorize them to sell that data to anyone.
Not to be that guy, but you probably did when you signed your contract(s)

Agree that many statements are handwavey

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
If that's the case---if even a basic, super-bare-bones flip phone still violates my privacy----I may have to seriously consider a life without a cell phone. Or at the very least, I'll leave my cell phone at home and take it out sparingly. Hell, I'll buy a pocket map of NYC and take it with me like I used to back in the early 2000's.

I find it so absolutely appalling how these cell carriers can't respect our privacy. I hope the government cracks down on them soon because the right to a semblance of privacy is the bare minimum I expect.

I turned all to my privacy settings on the max on my iPhone and I'm still tracked? There needs to be an opt-out feature where all of your identifying personal data is obliterated at your request.
You're going to need to never go on the internet ever again to get around this. Even then, facial recognition is real. Ghostery even says this forum has trackers.

The thing that pisses me off, if theyre selling our data, make the networks better and lower the damn prices. Clearly congestion is bullshit as to why unlimited data plans disappear when theyre constantly pinging devices

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
It's very solvable on a desktop----use Tails OS with Tor for maximum privacy. No one can trace you then.

Personally I use Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N with all telemetry to Microsoft blocked and all services that require any connection to Microsoft servers beyond security updates turned off (Enterprise LTSB is the only version of Windows which respects your privacy). I also use a VPN and Firefox with addons that block all possible trackers...I stay far away from anything Chrome / Google account-related.

But I didn't realize that your real-time location was being data-mined from triangulation through cell towers. That's a game changer.
Tor isnt 100% secure, governments have found people just by watching the nodes they use Tor on and using an OS like Tails seems silly just to use the internet. At that point you're either doing something illegal or probably should just get off the internet and move into a cave

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
So a hedge fund can track when I go grocery shopping.

This sort of shit is only valuable when you can offer thousands or millions of data points. And then its being aggregated to find patterns/predictors, not to track me personally.

Reads like the typical fear monge ring to me. I'd always prefer transparency though!
You don't want a cut when someone buys your data? If you don't care that they aren't personally tracking you then fine, but anonymity isn't the only thing you're missing out on ;)

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So a hedge fund can track when I go grocery shopping.

This sort of shit is only valuable when you can offer thousands or millions of data points. And then its being aggregated to find patterns/predictors, not to track me personally.

Reads like the typical fear monge ring to me. I'd always prefer transparency though!

Watch the recent movie, Bad Samaritan. Then think about anyone being able to buy this information. Now how do you feel about it?

Nov 23, 2017
Is there any wany to use a cell phone and restrict the location data that gets shared? This sounds like even a VPN woukd do nothing to stop this data being collected.
I've found Apple's OS much easier to turn off things like this. It was rather weird that it would track daily activities by telling me "it'll take you this long to get here" and that's with all the tracking services turned off except when in use. I had to look up online how to turn the feature off, and it's in a folder in privacy settings. So even though gps wasn't supposed be enabled unless I was using Maps, the phone was still keeping track.

I still don't like it when stores track that I've visited their site and then promptly send me an email asking if I still want the item. If anyone knows how to turn that off, I'd love to hear.

I still don't understand how companies spend millions on marketing and tracking like this, and still turn a profits. What do they gain out of this knowledge or are that many people gullible to their advertising tactics?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand people who handwave this shit. It's the most self centered response imaginable. Just because you don't care about these things happening does not mean it is not a big deal or that people cannot be angry to learn about this. You are not the arbiter as to what companies can do with our data or whether selling my data gives me benefits I deem adequate- which is fucking insane since you have no idea who or why it was even sold in the first place.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
It's very solvable on a desktop----use Tails OS with Tor for maximum privacy. No one can trace you then.

Personally I use Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N with all telemetry to Microsoft blocked and any services that require any connection to Microsoft servers beyond security updates turned off (Enterprise LTSB is the only version of Windows which respects your privacy). I also use a VPN and Firefox with addons that block all possible trackers...I stay far away from anything Chrome / Google account-related.

But I didn't realize that your real-time location was being data-mined from triangulation through cell towers. That's a game changer.

I'm sure that the instant you connect to ToR you get put on some FBI / CIA / NSA watchlist and become subject to more surveillance than the average person. ToR does nothing to hide the fact that you are using it, it only hides the destination of your packets.

Oct 27, 2017
Watch the recent movie, Bad Samaritan. Then think about anyone being able to buy this information. Now how do you feel about it?

I probably won't watch the movie. No one is targeting me personally, or if they are, they don't need this info to do it.

EDIT:
You don't want a cut when someone buys your data? If you don't care that they aren't personally tracking you then fine, but anonymity isn't the only thing you're missing out on ;)

But yeah I wouldn't mind getting a discount for opting in!

deussupreme

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this happen on Apple phones and can it still track my location if I turn my phone completely off when I am not using it?

OP
OP
kingocfs

kingocfs

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Here's a fun update from someone who read the HN thread and decided to do some tinkering around...

https://www.robertxiao.ca/hacking/locationsmart/

On May 16th, I found a vulnerability in the LocationSmart website which allowed anyone, with no prior authentication or consent, to obtain the realtime location of any cellphone in the US to within a few hundred feet. I immediately moved to contact US CERT to coordinate disclosure, and worked with Brian Krebs to publish the story after the vulnerability was fixed this morning (May 17th).

Now that I have verified that the vulnerability is fixed, I am releasing the relevant technical details of the bug and exploit.

Oops.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a fun update from someone who read the HN thread and decided to do some tinkering around...

https://www.robertxiao.ca/hacking/locationsmart/

Oops.
Am I crazy to find it hard to believe that cell providers actually sell our real-time locations directly associated with phone numbers? I always assumed they were selling the location associated with some anonymized unique ID, so that it can be used for statistical Advertising research or whatever. I actually think this company has found some way to associate this anonymous ID with people's real phone numbers, and they are then selling that... which is probably illegal, and it's why FCC is now going to investigate them: https://www.cnet.com/news/fcc-investigating-locationsmart-over-phone-tracking-flaw/

MonadoPurge

Apr 30, 2018
North Carolina
This takes creepy to a whole next level. I don't even see the point, why do these higher-ups even need to know our exact locations to begin with? Its taking stalking to a whole new level and I don't like it. This kind of crap shouldn't be legal.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017

You know those bracelets some parents buy for their children so they can track their location in real time?

You now have one. Only it's not your parents tracking you. It's anyone willing to pay for it. Your ex-wife, your boss, the company you applied for a job at, the crazy stalker you once dated, the guy you got in a fight with, the people who've heard you have something valuable in your home and want to know your movement patterns to plan the break-in.

Remember the scene in Minority report when Tom Cruise walks by an ad screen and it reacts to him being there because it recognises him from the iris scan and tailors the ad to him? Well, imagine you're walking through a city and every single time you pass an ad screen it flashes an ad for the product you put into your Amazon basket that morning but deleted because you had second thoughts. For the next two weeks this is the only ad you'll see until you buy the product.

Is this still a good thing to your benefit? Or to their bottomline.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
someone could make A LOT of money seeing peoples movements into stores etc if they are trading off information thats not available to the public. That has to be illegal.
They already do and it's not, strangely. A company can pay for geofencing on specific addresses (like a competitors store) and once a person is tagged there, they're blasted with ads from the buyer.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
If this helps provide users with better services then I'm all for it. Data is beautiful.

Let's say that I lead a large criminal organisation. I buy this geolocalisation service under some false pretense. I write a script that will flag all phone numbers that enter a few select locations, like the FBI headquarters, nearby police stations, over a large period. Then I compare with the list of phone numbers that entered the places where I do my business.
If any of them appear on both, that's one dead undercover agent.

But if it make life a little more convenient for you (and more expensive, those guys are doing this because you end up giving them more money, they aren't doing it to please you), then it's worth it, right?

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i'm about ready to start an insurrection against tech companies, fuck them, they've crossed the line too many times now.

this is some super shady shit to do on such a large scale without transparency, and to benefit such a narrow group of investors and whoever. Orwellian doesn't even begin to describe it IMO.

hedge funds etc and big data control need to be hit with some serious oversight and regulations.. i hope the EU is on this.

Bengraven