• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Just caved and ordered a Beyerdynamic MMX 300. Anybody here got one of these ?

Third headphones I'll be trying within a month so hopefully this one sticks

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ok, the X2HR arrived. They also sit very tight, but they don't hurt (yet). Earcups are big enough to not hit my ears. The V-Moda Mic also works really well, looks like I found the solution for my setup at home.

Only listened to music until now. I never owned ANY expensive headphones (well, the AirPods Pro are, but for different reasons), and wtf, there are so many sounds in my music. And it's everywhere. Can't wait to play some games with it tonight. I'm pretty blown away right now.

Thank you GungJoe for this thread!

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Oh! So I broke my X2HR's the other day. I don't really know what happened but when I went to use them they seem a little crooked, I tried to correct them and one of the connections to the earcups just snapped as I picked them up. I don't know what happened to them, maybe someone stepped on them and didn't bother to tell me, but I have no clue personally.

Gonna' try and return them to amazon. But I can't seem to find the original cable, and I threw away the box. What are my odds of a successful return? Amazon have accepted the return and sent a thing to stick onto the package.

Ok, the X2HR arrived. They also sit very tight, but they don't hurt (yet). Earcups are big enough to not hit my ears. The V-Moda Mic also works really well, looks like I found the solution for my setup at home.

Only listened to music until now. I never owned ANY expensive headphones (well, the AirPods Pro are, but for different reasons), and wtf, there are so many sounds in my music. And it's everywhere. Can't wait to play some games with it tonight. I'm pretty blown away right now.

Thank you GungJoe for this thread!

Super glad you're enjoying them :)

Last edited:

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I've had and been using Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X for nearly six years now and the excessively long wire is kind of falling apart, in large thanks to my dog who chewed on it almost four years ago as a puppy and I think it might be time to get something new since it's kind of being supported/held together by duct tape and I don't feel like going through fixing it since I haven't done any soldering in a very long time.

Nov 9, 2017
Eh, my 3D Pulse headset is cheap and convenient for what i need. I was going to go the whole premium hardware w/ mix amp route but it fell out of my list of priorities.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Heads up that the X2HR's are £100 at Amazon UK at the moment.
These headphones have been a gamechanger for me. Just as OP said. When I'm sitting in my living room, alone, in the dark. Kids and wife sleeping upstairs, I constantly have to take them off and check if the sound really came from the headphones 😂

Last edited:

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
So how do people use headphones with a console (specifically PS4/5)? Are you plugging them directly into the controller? Isn't there an audio loss there?

Also, I just bought some XM4s and think it's complete bullshit that they don't work natively with the PS5 wirelessly. Honestly would have been great if they included a dongle like the Playstation Gold headset has. Just absolutely crazy to me that the only way they work is wired to the controller which means you have to sacrifice a bunch of the features (including swipe up/down for volume).

Oct 29, 2017
I've used wired to controller and wireless with the 7X's. I'm sure there is a loss in quality using the controller but I honestly can't hear it and it still sounds excellent to me. Better even as I can use better headphones.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So how do people use headphones with a console (specifically PS4/5)? Are you plugging them directly into the controller? Isn't there an audio loss there?

Also, I just bought some XM4s and think it's complete bullshit that they don't work natively with the PS5 wirelessly. Honestly would have been great if they included a dongle like the Playstation Gold headset has. Just absolutely crazy to me that the only way they work is wired to the controller which means you have to sacrifice a bunch of the features (including swipe up/down for volume).
You can do Bluetooth to your TV if it supports it, but would need to live with some lag.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
My headphones have been slowly dying since a while now to the point I lost sound on the left ear now. I was thinking of upgrading to the X2HR but it's not available anymore apparently. Should I wait or look for another piece of headphones ?

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
random question, anyone have PS GOLD headset and use with PC? how do you get the volume louder? my volume is so low and says the volume is all the way up on windows and the headset.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
random question, anyone have PS GOLD headset and use with PC? how do you get the volume louder? my volume is so low and says the volume is all the way up on windows and the headset.
Check the game/chat balance buttons on the headset? I don't know if that function even works when connected to a PC, but if it does, it can severely limit the maximum volume.

I'm using a headphone DAC/amp with an optical input. I won't get a PS5 any time soon, but when I do I'll have adapt. Maybe an HDMI splitter so I can keep using optical.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
That's weird then. Is this the new Gold headset? I have the old one with the blue plastic and that went pretty loud connected to my computer.
I think they are the newer ones, I bought them at best buy in 2019 I think. damn I want to get mine louder on PC i've been playing rocksmith so thats a game a definitely need a louder headset. right now they sound like they are about 30% max volume if it was using on ps5.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I feel like it's not really achievable to get good quality audio out of headphones on a TV though. Like my TV doesn't have optical out or Bluetooth, so the only option is to plug directly into PS5, but having a cable going across my entire room also kinda sucks. I have a Bluetooth dongle thing I got for my Switch that I use on PS5 too with my Sony XM3s, but the sound quality is roughly comparable to plugging them into my controller, which is fine, but it can do so much more. And I also assume it's not getting the most out of the Switch either. I do have a Sony Gold which sounds leagues better connected through its dongle, but they're pretty uncomfortable, and the cups are peeling everywhere. I'm seriously considering just getting a Pulse headset because it feels like the only option. Why could I use Bluetooth on the Vita and nothing since lmao.