• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just some food for thought: if this hack is indeed 2TB, and contains stuff from the 3DS/WiiU era, what if the information regarding the eshop infrastructure from there was used to hack all those accounts earlier this year?

It would explains how the network was compromised, and give an extra weight on all this info being out

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just some food for thought: if this hack is indeed 2TB, and contains stuff from the 3DS/WiiU era, what if the information regarding the eshop infrastructure from there was used to hack all those accounts earlier this year?

It would explains how the network was compromised, and give an extra weight on all this info being out
Reposting for new page cause I really believe it may be the case

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The closer we get to current day the closer we come to Nintendo's lawyers trying to shut all this down. Diving deep into the past is one thing, but there could easily be info there that applies to current games or business relationships.

Yeah, if we start getting stuff that would affect modern partnerships more directly, fun's over.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Again, all that stuff is shoved in Rare's vaults, not Nintendo's.
Nintendo clearly has plenty of third-party games shoved away in their vaults; wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that they have Rare's stuff tucked away too, considering they were a close partner and all.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those full sized renders of the OOT inventory icons are blowing my mind.

I never even considered that they were downscaled images from higher resolution source material. I just thought they drew those items in 240p and called it a day.

This leads me to assume that for other pre-rendered assets in games - I.e.Donkey Kong Country - there has to be some full resolution source material for all of the characters and objects somewhere out there. The in-game assets are clearly lossy versions of the originals.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
fresh avatar material lol

ICNggy4.png

YOINK

Thanks!

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Mute City uncompressed. shiiiiiiiiit

Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.

edit: and Big Blue

Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.
OMGGGGG

My entire childhood uncompressed. Pinch me, I've gotta be dreaming.

OMGGGGGG!!!!!!

Kinda crazy how much personality the compression added to the dialogue in hindsight.

This is the coolest thread.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Depends entirely on what your interpretation is. Luigi is not present in the final compiled version of Mario 64 in any useable capacity, however he is present in beta versions of the source code/data. Does that make it real or not?
I mean, we already knew this, right? That he used to be in the game and they had to cut him late in development? So I'm not sure how this changes anything. (Not directing this to you specifically, I've just seen a lot of people getting excited about this.)

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, we already knew this, right? That he used to be in the game and they had to cut him late in development? So I'm not sure how this changes anything. (Not directing this to you specifically, I've just seen a lot of people getting excited about this.)

Correct. Well we knew it from the devs mouths through various interviews. I guess people are excited to confirm what they were saying was true? In any case it doesn't excite me much either. Did people think they were lying or something?

Foot

Mar 10, 2019

Your theory makes sense to me.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Your theory makes sense to me.
It seems pretty unlikely that they were storing user data on the same servers as they were archives for their games.

The hack was on Chinese servers, so it's also very unlikely that Nintendo was just storing international user account data there.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I wonder if there is anything about that EarthBound 64 game I read about in EGM like 2 decades ago.

someone teased a spaceworld '99 dump which I think may have been the only time the game was playable to the public.

I would assume builds of whatever existed of the game was cross-referenced for the eventual mother 3 on GBA, given the scenario similarities, so anything is possible.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
It seems pretty unlikely that they were storing user data on the same servers as they were archives for their games.

The hack was on Chinese servers, so it's also very unlikely that Nintendo was just storing international user account data there.

I think the idea is more like people were able to use this data to break in to the servers more than they have leaked user data. This hack is from four years ago and there's a lot of people who had this data since then. It's only recently that its been becoming public.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
If any bit of development info or assets from Melee are in future parts of this leak I may die instantly on the spot, having transcended human form and achieved Nirvana.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
someone teased a spaceworld '99 dump which I think may have been the only time the game was playable to the public.

I would assume builds of whatever existed of the game was cross-referenced for the eventual mother 3 on GBA, given the scenario similarities, so anything is possible.
I would love to see the script for that game. Seems like the type of thing Nintendo would save, and I remember Itoi describing it as just a total behemoth. Way longer, darker, and more ambitious than the final game.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's not that the data from users was in there, but information about the Nintendo online infrastructure (for example, AWS addresses and keys).

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
In the face of leaks like this, it's really surprising to me to see someone like Tim Gettys focus on hype for announcements. Anyways, I love super Mario 64 so gimme dat

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reading up on the Star Fox 2 stuff and man they were super ambitious with that game. One of the builds sounds like it could be a sort of Star Fox 1.5 even.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Loving this Wiimote protoype!

unknown.png

This falls in line with what I remember about the Wii's development.
The first Wii controller they made was a GC Controller with an extra board attached. (Was trying to do the pointer IIRC.)

Again, all that stuff is shoved in Rare's vaults, not Nintendo's.

Not necessarily; they supposedly have a gold copy of KI2 that Rare shipped to them for certification.

Whether or not they still have it is up in the air.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Another folder called... fuckbees.zip was uploaded, which seems to contain some internal Revolution documentation. looking through it now.

There's a doc (made for third-party partners, i'm assuming) with the prices for buying Wii discs in bulk, lol.

I wonder if this is a reference to the old Halo 2 ILOVEBEES thing?

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
This falls in line with what I remember about the Wii's development.
The first Wii controller they made was a GC Controller with an extra board attached. (Was trying to do the pointer IIRC.)

Not necessarily; they supposedly have a gold copy of KI2 that Rare shipped to them for certification.

Whether or not they still have it is up in the air.

SNES KI2? How did that get to gold before magazines could preview it? I've always wanted to know what that game looked like.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
SNES KI2? How did that get to gold before magazines could preview it? I've always wanted to know what that game looked like.

Beats me. Retro Gamer (Magazine) did some interviews a few years back with some guys that worked at Rare and they were talking about it in there.

Update: here's the article in question:

It was only 80% complete, but still pretty far along.
(The general consensus I've read/seen is that it was pretty much near completion or was complete, but got shelved because of the N64.)

Last edited:

carmofin

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, just like we know from interviews how the Starfox voice recordings have only survived in the compressed state we know from the N64 version of the game!

Correct. Well we knew it from the devs mouths through various interviews. I guess people are excited to confirm what they were saying was true? In any case it doesn't excite me much either. Did people think they were lying or something?

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Like Smash Bros., those were developed by outside studios. That's likely why we haven't seen anything so far.

(So was Pokémon, but Nintendo appears to have been more tightly involved with that one.)
Haven't we already gotten some 3rd party stuff, like the Castlevania IV thing, and all of the Argonaut stuff? Most of the games listed were just as closely developed with Nintendo as Star Fox and Star Fox 2 were, so I don't think they're out of the question.