• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

anzuni

Jun 7, 2019
wait can someone explain to me if the SM64 stuff found can be used to compile a shoshinkai 1995 rom or is most of the stuff corrupted?

also the same about OOT is there enough stuff to make a beta rom?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is in
SM64 Luigi sound effects were found in here. This is going to yield some stuff.
Wonder if it's Martinet?

IIRC they had a... French? Nintendo guy do Luigi's voice in his first appearance in Mario Kart 64, with Martinet taking over for the U.S. version. And Mario Party used this voice in all versions. That makes me think they didn't have Martinet voice clips for Luigi.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
We're only seeing this stuff because Nintendo preserved it.
RgWQWxC.png
This is true but keeping it private also gives them the power to get rid of it soo.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
????
This doesn't make sense at all. How do you think this was obtained then?
Because they preserved for themselves. However preservation is more than just keeping it locked away from public eye. A lot of old art for example was obtained with nefarious means, but that doesn't mean we should take down all of Da Vinci's paintings at a museum. They're still a part of that history, as is this stuff is to Nintendo.

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the ex-Malwarebytes researcher distributed the leaked data to his inner circles before he was caught. His inner circles somehow planned to hold onto the data until the dust has settled (since they were on the risk of getting FBI'd)...

That's all according to the folks on 4chan from May, when the whole story was explained through 77 imageboard threads.
Wow thanks for the detailed answer

Oct 27, 2017
This is true but keeping it private also gives them the power to get rid of it soo.
People on this board need to stop pretending they actually give a shit about preservation. You want to play older games again. You want looks at behind the scenes assets. Stop conflating this with preservation. This shit is embarrassing, because you don't actually care that Nintendo preserves their games so stop bringing it up

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Because they preserved for themselves. However preservation is more than just keeping it locked away from public eye. A lot of old art for example was obtained with nefarious means, but that doesn't mean we should take down all of Da Vinci's paintings at a museum. They're still a part of that history, as is this stuff is to Nintendo.
That's dumb, even if they only have it for themselves is still preserved, people who love to say "preservation" only really want to have it available

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo absolutely has interest in preservation, thus these leaks. Nintendo very often keeps and eventually uses ideas previously brainstormed but cut from older projects.
So according to you preservation = keeping it but locking it away secret? Am I reading that right? Cause I certainly don't see it this way. I think being able to analyze and appreciate the preservation is the important part of it personally but that's just me.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So according to you preservation = keeping it but locking it away secret? Am I reading that right? Cause I certainly don't see it this way. I think being able to analyze and appreciate the preservation is the important part of it personally but that's just me.
Much of the world's preservation efforts are locked away under lock and key with no access to the public but may be given access to scholars, etc.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, actually - something being preserved doesn't mean it has to be publicly available. What you are asking for isn't just preservation, it's public preservation.

I agree that Nintendo has little interest in public preservation of their private assets.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
It's not locked away. The archives are clearly open to those who work at Nintendo, hence we've seen ideas from these leaks reused in titles as recent as Mario Maker. Lots of archive have restricted access and are not open to the public. To say none of this is preservation flies in the face of all logic ever conceived by man.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
Well put! It jives with the reoccurring rumor that Mario 64 started live on the SNES too. I believe they flat-out denied it was a Super FX game but you can definitely see how some ideas about giving Mario new mechanics and ways to move both lead to and stemmed from this prototype.

It's also really cool looking at connections in other ways. Like I'm not sure exactly which direction this goes -- as in, which came first, which inspired what, etc -- but you can sorta see a through line between Super Donkey's main character being both a modified Mario design and similar to that side-scrolling Link sprite. And the side-scrolling Link has design elements that seem familiar with the pajama boy in Yoshi's Island that later became Baby Mario. It's really fascinating seeing all of this.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Much of the world's preservation efforts are locked away under lock and key with no access to the public but may be given access to scholars, etc.
That isn't really cool either imo.
It's not locked away. The archives are clearly open to those who work at Nintendo, hence we've seen ideas from these leaks reused in titles as recent as Mario Maker. Lots of archive have restricted access and are not open to the public. To say none of this is preservation flies in the face of all logic ever conceived by man.
Why shouldn't it be available to the public?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man this is super cool. All this stuff is gaming history. I wonder if a similar leak will happen at SEGA, I would love to see the Sonic betas.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Nintendo is preserving stuff, it just isn't free and publicly available. I'm pretty sure Nintendo has the alpha code of many of the canceled games that never got finished.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
Man this is super cool. All this stuff is gaming history. I wonder if a similar leak will happen at SEGA, I would love to see the Sonic betas.
I feel like we've gotten a LOT more prototype and beta information about Sonic over the years than any of the big Nintendo series. Hell that what's kept me visiting some of the bigger Sonic sites in spite of not being a huge fan of the 3D games or any of the peripheral content.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I feel like we've gotten a LOT more prototype and beta information about Sonic over the years than any of the big Nintendo series. Hell that what's kept me visiting some of the bigger Sonic sites in spite of not being a huge fan of the 3D games or any of the peripheral content.

that is what is most fascinating about these leaks to me, we rarely see stuff from nintendo this intact. usually it's just leftovers from rom data or old magazine scans.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is preserving stuff, it just isn't free and publicly available. I'm pretty sure Nintendo has the alpha code of many of the canceled games that never got finished.
Like I said I know it's preservation but to me preservation is only important when the public is able to have it's hands in it. Yes it's about me and many others wanting to see cool shit; that's the point. Otherwise preservation of art has no meaning to me.

I'm going to drop this discussion cause I know people are going to assume I'm trolling here, but this is how I honestly feel about this situation.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Uncompressed "Do a Barrel Roll" audio has been found. Is there even a point to looking at the other files now?

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
As a massive Ocarina of Time fan that spent my younger years learning everything I could about that game, including using gamesharks to access jumbled up states of the game, I came to this thread because I saw OoT mentioned. Is there anywhere I can get a rundown of what was discovered for OoT speficially? Or a place to keep up with what's happening for OoT? I don't really follow these kinds of leaks usually.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
As a massive Ocarina of Time fan that spent my younger years learning everything I could about that game, including using gamesharks to access jumbled up states of the game, I came to this thread because I saw OoT mentioned. Is there anywhere I can get a rundown of what was discovered for OoT speficially? Or a place to keep up with what's happening for OoT? I don't really follow these kinds of leaks usually.
Anything interesting from Ocarina of Time?

Unfortunately the OOT data is pretty fragmented and for the time being there doesn't seem like there's anything to gleam from it.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Does Ocarina source code mean we can change the game now and make the Running Man race winnable?

justice demands that this happens.