• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It's just another example in the long line of "this game's ending didn't go the way I wanted so it had to be a DREAM" theories. Squall is dead, indoctrination, and so on and so forth.

Sometimes a dumb ending is just a dumb ending, but making it all a dream wouldn't make it any more interesting, it would just render the entire adventure pointless.

Don't forget my personal favorite. Infinite Tsukuyomi made Naruto marry Hinata and is actually suffering from his happy married life, because he's not with Sakura

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
this theory is interesting and has some merit i think. i too noticed that many things seemed off, but put it down to bad writing. the theory here that the bulk of the game takes place in a separate time-line in a sleeping world does help explain many of the oddities in the game, but i can't shake the feeling that it's just trying desperately to make something interesting of a really poorly planned and told story. that we're in denial and coming up with these theories to make the story good, actually, when in reality occam's razor should tell us it's just a flawed story

the theory is severely weakened by how the author repeatedly indulges in motivated reasoning to try and make his soriku ship happen (it is not happening) but that doesn't mean that the other parts of the theory are entirely without merit
It's just another example in the long line of "this game's ending didn't go the way I wanted so it had to be a DREAM" theories. Squall is dead, indoctrination, and so on and so forth.

Sometimes a dumb ending is just a dumb ending, but making it all a dream wouldn't make it any more interesting, it would just render the entire adventure pointless.

Its crazy as heck but I kinda believe it. Lol

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I didn't feel that at all, honestly. Nobodies are half of a person. It was better for him and Sora to merge back together than for both of them to suffer living half-lives.

Nah. Even Vanilla KH 2 had Ansem ask Roxas for forgiveness because he realized that he did a shitty thing to him.

If the game wanted me to think that Roxas shouldn't be his own person then I'm glad that Nomura leaned away from it because the whole thing is an immoral fuck up. And I'm going to applaud the seriesnfor realizing its mistake.

But KH II Final Mix is the canon KH II and that made it very clear that Nobodies eventually grew hearts.

KH II Final Mix only came a year after KH II btw

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You know you've fucked up your Disney game when people are saying it needs to ditch the Disney stuff.

Honestly, I don't understand that mindset at all. The original character shit is the worst part of KH3, outside of how bad Arendelle was. The OC cast is way too big now and with Nomura's endless cavalcade of Union Cross 'reveals', the series literally just feels like a bunch of teenage fanfic writers at war with each other over whose OC is the most tragic, the most powerful, the most ancient and the most important. I'm sick to fucking death of it.

Not every character needs a resurrection or a redemption arc. Sometimes a death is just a death and sometimes a villain is just a villain. Let things end. Clear the chess board so new stories can be told.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Not every character needs a resurrection or a redemption arc. Sometimes a death is just a death and sometimes a villain is just a villain. Let things end. Clear the chess board so new stories can be told.
I, for one, look forward to Kingdom Hearts 3.8 Re:Cross/Front Cover coming exclusively to Nintendo Switch.

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, 3 goes out of its way to give very definitive and final ends for Xehanort, Eraqus, Ansem SoD, Xemnas and Replica Riku. And I'd say that those scenes were all pretty nice, too.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I, for one, look forward to Kingdom Hearts 3.8 Re:Cross/Front Cover coming exclusively to Nintendo Switch.

I still say KH needs to crossover with Mario and Luigi for two reasons

1. So Yoko Shimomura can pull double duty

2. So I can have Waluigi wax poetic about the darkness in man's hearts.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
From the Ultimania:

Q: Xigbar, too; when he appeared in KH 2, we had no idea he would be such an important person.

A: A lot of people say this, but at the time I wanted to show that "Xigbar is a character with a very special role" by giving him a suspicious way of acting. When we were doing dubbing for KH 2, I listened to Houchu Otsuka (the JP VA of Xigbar)'s voice and thought, "This guy isn't just some organization grunt, there's definitely some hidden side to him", so the creation of the current situation evolved from there. It does sometimes happen that I get inspired to change the circumstances because of the voice actors' voices.

Xigbar was always meant to be special according to Nomura even if he hadn't figured out how yet

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Waluigi becomes the new leader of the WAAAAAAArtless.

From the Ultimania:

Xigbar was always meant to be special according to Nomura even if he hadn't figured out how yet

His voice actor doing a bunch of improv in the booth made Nomura rewrite him into being more important. Ugh.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
From the Ultimania:

Standard KH writing, innit? Set something up in one game, answer it in the next, then retcon the answer, then retcon the answer to the answer...

KH: Here's Ansem!
KH2: Ansem wasn't the real Ansem, but his apprentice!
BBS: The fake Ansem wasn't just an apprentice, he was actually an evil wizard possessing someone else's body!
DDD: THE EVIL WIZARD CAN TIME TRAVEL!
KH3: The evil wizard was actually a misguided good guy. Also, I planned all this out from the start.
Fans: Okay, we believe you!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Standard KH writing, innit? Set something up in one game, answer it in the next, then retcon the answer, then retcon the answer to the answer...

BBS: The fake Ansem wasn't just an apprentice, he was actually an evil wizard possessing someone else's body!
KH3: The evil wizard was actually a misguided good guy. Also, I planned all this out from the start.

My abject hatred of Nomura's "figure shit out later" writing style is half the reason my novel is taking so long to finish. I'm planning out EVERYTHING in advance to make sure it doesn't end up like this shit.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Who is actually relevant and what does Nomura have to payoff with KH4?

Likely returning characters:

Antagonists:

Master of Masters
Ira
Aced
Invi
Gula
Luxu

Heroes:

Sora
Riku
Kairi
Mickey
Donald
Goofy
Lea
Isa
Ephemer
Ventus
Skuld
Brain
Lauriam
Strelitzia
Elrena
Demyx
Luxord

Undetermined:

Ava
Maleficent
Pete

Plot threads:

- What is the Master of Master's goal?
- Where did he go?
- What's in the box?
- What is the greater darkness that necessitated two Keyblade Wars?
- Where is Sora?
- What exactly did he do to save Kairi?
- Where is Ava?
- Who and where is Subject X? (Likely Skuld)
- Subject X needs to reunite with her friends (Likely the New Union leaders)
- Lea and Isa need to reunite with Subject X
- Ventus needs to get his memories back
- The new Union leaders jumped worldlines, why and where did they go?
- Who was the lady of magic who helped them? (Likely Maleficent)
- Why did she help them?
- What happened to Ephemer and Brain?
- Who is the mysterious star in the Final World? (Likely Strelitzia)
- Lauriam needs to reunite with Strelitzia
- What is Luxord's trump card?
- Why were Demyx, Luxord, and Elrena sent to the the the present?

Did I get everything down?

Oct 25, 2017

Xehanort was not a "misguided good guy". He wanted to wipe out all life and reboot the universe.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Waluigi: Sora, it's Oogie Boogie and Sephiroth Waaaaa-!!!
I still can't help but think they fucked up that bit. Roxas and Ven are in opposite places.

They didn't. They just wanted to mix the groups up a little.

Roxas talking to Terra and racing with Riku and Terra seems like a little fun moment.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My abject hatred of Nomura's "figure shit out later" writing style is half the reason my novel is taking so long to finish. I'm planning out EVERYTHING in advance to make sure it doesn't end up like this shit.

Eh...I think that's going too far in the other direction as well. Sometimes when writing or doing anything your characters will take a different direction than what it is planned. It's learning to incorporate both planning and spontaneously that makes writing so hard. Nomura's problem isn't that he thinks "well, this sounds like a good idea, let me add it", his problem is that he doesn't clear the board enough for these ideas to breathe and conclude so by KH3 we have a mess of a story to get through.

Oct 25, 2017
Who is actually relevant and what does Nomura have to payoff with KH4?

Likely returning characters:

Antagonists:

Master of Masters
Ira
Aced
Invi
Gula
Luxu

Heroes:

Sora
Riku
Kairi
Mickey
Donald
Goofy
Lea
Isa
Ephemer
Ventus
Skuld
Brain
Lauriam
Strelitzia
Elrena
Demyx
Luxord

Undetermined:

Ava
Maleficent
Pete

Plot threads:

- What is the Master of Master's goal?
- Where did he go?
- What's in the box?
- What is the greater darkness that necessitated two Keyblade Wars?
- Where is Sora?
- What exactly did he do to save Kairi?
- Where is Ava?
- Who and where is Subject X? (Likely Skuld)
- Subject X needs to reunite with her friends (Likely the New Union leaders)
- Lea and Isa need to reunite with Subject X
- Ventus needs to get his memories back
- The new Union leaders jumped worldlines, why and where did they go?
- Who was the lady of magic who helped them? (Likely Maleficent)
- Why did she help them?
- What happened to Ephemer and Brain?
- Who is the mysterious star in the Final World? (Likely Strelitzia)
- Lauriam needs to reunite with Strelitzia
- What is Luxord's trump card?
- Why were Demyx, Luxord, and Elrena sent to the the the present?

Did I get everything down?

Well, the heroes list is missing some pretty important characters like Roxas, Xion, Namine, Terra and Aqua. Plus I imagine Hayner, Pence and Olette will play a decent sized role, in addition to Ansem the Wise, Ienzo and Even as support characters. (And Ansem is connected to the Subject X thread). I think that's most of the currently set up plot questions.

I also don't really see Brain being a hero, but who knows.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Eh...I think that's going too far in the other direction as well. Sometimes when writing or doing anything your characters will take a different direction than what it is planned. It's learning to incorporate both planning and spontaneously that makes writing so hard. Nomura's problem isn't that he thinks "well, this sounds like a good idea, let me add it", his problem is that he doesn't clear the board enough for these ideas to breathe and conclude so by KH3 we have a mess of a story to get through.

Oh, I'm open to changing things. But shit like my main villain's motivation is too important to just figure out at the end of book 3.

Nomura clearly doesn't feel the same way.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Even as a child I always knew there was a lot of unfairness in the Roxas/Sora situation. Yeah, Namine was happy to go back, but she's been a friendless loser since CoM so that was no surprise.

You know you've fucked up your Disney game when people are saying it needs to ditch the Disney stuff.

I don't get it I love the Disney stuff. It's just hasn't been paced well since KH1.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't understand that mindset at all. The original character shit is the worst part of KH3, outside of how bad Arendelle was. The OC cast is way too big now and with Nomura's endless cavalcade of Union Cross 'reveals', the series literally just feels like a bunch of teenage fanfic writers at war with each other over whose OC is the most tragic, the most powerful, the most ancient and the most important. I'm sick to fucking death of it.

Opposite for me. While I want the Disney stuff to stay and want the FF characters back I really like the OC's.

And like I said before the Union X stuff is some of the most interesting bits of the series to me.

I was actually super happy Marluxia and Larxene got to come back as I was super sure they'd be gone for good.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, the heroes list is missing some pretty important characters like Roxas, Xion, Namine, Terra and Aqua. Plus I imagine Hayner, Pence and Olette will play a decent sized role, in addition to Ansem the Wise, Ienzo and Even as support characters. (And Ansem is connected to the Subject X thread). I think that's most of the currently set up plot questions.

I also don't really see Brain being a hero, but who knows.
I don't see how they're important for the future. Their stories are done. I can see AnsemtW crew, Terra, and Aqua showing up due to their ties to Subject X and Ventus but the rest sound like glorified cameos.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So you thought the whole "Looks like my summer vacation is over" moment was supposed to be a triumphant moment? Pretty much everything about Roxas in Kingdom Hearts II was crafted as a tragedy. There's no moment of happiness for him at the end or anything; he gets basically a fate worse than death by losing his entire existence and just being trapped inside Sora. I always felt when playing II that III would have to be Roxas coming back because of just how awful it was to see him go through all of that.

The point is that he is bummed about it at first but there's a reason his demeanor is lifted after he fights Sora and stays that way until the end. His fate was never meant to be "tragic". Sora and Roxas complete eachother and together they're able to unlock newfound strength.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Wasn't Sora's JP VA wanting to do a villainous role in the series the main reason Nomura made Vanitas look like Sora?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's mainly because of how unconsequentual they are in the grand scheme. In the first game, Maleficent and her Disney Cronies drive the plot for 4/5ths of the game and play a role in the wider narrative. What role does the Disney characters have in KHIII? They aren't essential to the wider narrative anymore and Maleficent is reduced to going on a treasure hunt with Pete.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how they're important for the future. Their stories are done. I can see AnsemtW crew, Terra, and Aqua showing up due to their ties to Subject X and Ventus but the rest sound like glorified cameos.

How are their stories done? Nomura very specifically didn't really give them any closure in the game. Like, you think he's about to write out the most popular characters in the series with barely a goodbye when he gave a super awesome end scene to fucking Riku Replica?

Hell, Sora straight up says that he still needs to thank Namine in the future. And you think that Roxas and Xion are just going to abandon Axel? They'll be right there helping him and Isa track down Skuld. And then they'll all eat Ice Cream together at the end. Every single character at that beach party is in this for the long haul.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Wasn't Sora's JP VA wanting to do a villainous role in the series the main reason Nomura made Vanitas look like Sora?

No. It's the main reason that Vanitas was created.

But Nomura was still deciding on whether to make Ventus look identical to Sora or Roxas at first. He ultimately went with Ventus because he thought it'd be more impactful if Vanitas had Sora's face.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'd be surprised how much a performance impacts a character going forward
Fun example is Sokka in Avatar. Was going to be a serious straight laced character till his voice actor was to funny.

So his character changed to be more comic relief.
Unfortunately Xigbar's English voice reflects none of that. The surfer dude shit was passé when KH2 was new. Now he just sounds like a dumbass.
I like it because it comes off as him trying to emulate MoM's quirks.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Unfortunately Xigbar's English voice reflects none of that. The surfer dude shit was passé when KH2 was new. Now he just sounds like a dumbass.

I think Xigbar's English VA is one of the best ones that KH has. He oozes his personality.

According to the KH 3 Ultimania, Nomura had the Dark Seeker Saga outlined by KH 2:

Q: The Dark Seeker arc has concluded, but since when have you been thinking about the conclusion?
A: The Dark Seeker arc has been a concept ever since KH2. In those days, I just kind of threw together and decided an outline. I was often told by the manga artist that they felt "the characters come alive however they want", and some parts did change from their original conceptualization, but in the grand scheme of things not much changed.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How are their stories done? Nomura very specifically didn't really give them any closure in the game. Like, you think he's about to write out the most popular characters in the series with barely a goodbye when he gave a super awesome end scene to fucking Riku Replica?

Hell, Sora straight up says that he still needs to thank Namine in the future. And you think that Roxas and Xion are just going to abandon Axel? They'll be right there helping him and Isa track down Skuld. And then they'll all eat Ice Cream together at the end.
What are you talking about? He gave them tonnes of closure. The whole game is their closure. Them helping others doesn't make them important or relevant for the future. Sora can thank Namine when he comes back. It's not like she's going anywhere.

Like what do you expect Roxas, Xion, Namine, Hayner, Pence and Olette to do here?

Jan 25, 2019
Naminé is fine and dandy with her fate. And that is consistent in KH3. It's Kairi who feels it's all wrong.

This is the type of shit that makes me wonder if people really understand these characters.

Naminè was "fine with it" because her entire short life was spent stuck behind four white walls, being used as a disposable tool to be discarded once her use is over, forced to mess up someone's memories, and being told time and time again that her existence is nothing and that she was never meant to be. She's a victim of child abuse. Couldn't experience friendship (at least Roxas and Xion got that chance, with many sunsets, and yet they are the ones considered to be tragic due to the flashiness), she was lonely, never got to live, always caged. She even said herself that she thought they were doomed to fade into darkness and she'll cease to exist. It's why she was surprised her and Roxas saw each other through Sora and Kairi.

Not to mention, the girl has a severe case of lack of self worth. Her scene in KHIII in the Final World solidified it. She thinks no one cares and there isn't a place she feels she belongs.

A deeply misguided and mistreated character having to merge after an abusive, trapped life is not a happy ending. Neither is it her being fine and dandy about it due to misconceived reasons that were told to her growing up.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point is that he is bummed about it at first but there's a reason his demeanor is lifted after he fights Sora and stays that way until the end. His fate was never meant to be "tragic". Sora and Roxas complete eachother and together they're able to unlock newfound strength.
Except that doesn't work because it was clear from Day 1 that Roxas and Namine have their own individual personalities and traits.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
His voice actor doing a bunch of improv in the booth made Nomura rewrite him into being more important. Ugh.

It doesn't say improv, could have just been the way he read the lines. But this is pretty normal, isn't it? I feel like you hear about people on TV shows who get cast as minor characters and end up re-written as major players because they play the character different / better than expected. There's a lot of stuff Nomura deserves flack for, but being inspired by a voice actor's performance and making the character more important to capitalize on it isn't one of them, I don't think.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about? He gave them tonnes of closure. The whole game is their closure. Them helping others doesn't make them important or relevant for the future. Sora can thank Namine when he comes back. It's not like she's going anywhere.

Like what do you expect Roxas, Xion, Namine, Hayner, Pence and Olette to do here?
I don't see them wanting to sit on the sidelines while the guy who they literally owe their lives to is still out there fighting.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I laugh at the no one dies in KH meme, but I actually understand how hard it is to let characters go. I was mad about Roxas dying in KH2. I'm now mad that Xemnas and Ansem are gone, because dang they were their own people too.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Here's the KH III Ultimania reason for why you don't play other characters in the Keyblade Graveyard:

Q: The end part of the story, where all of the characters from both the allies' side and enemies' side were gathered in the Keyblade Graveyard, was incredible.
A: Fans all have different favorite characters, so I thought I should give each of them their own time to shine, but because the amount of things needed to be explained was too large, I had to find a way to have Sora move forward, at the very least. Actually, when the scenarios were being written, the Keyblade Graveyard part was the most difficult. If I focused on each character at a time, the progression of events would be quite slow, and the battles involving Sora were necessary to be shown, so making allowances for everything was difficult. The way I imagined it, all of the characters tied to each other should fight in order and put an end to everything [themselves], but if I did that, the explanations would end up being too long. On the other hand, if I made the enemies you can battle only a few people, and showed the rest via cutscene, that wouldn't have been very satisfying. After worrying about it quite a lot, with a certain intention in mind, I placed the emphasis on the pacing, and the way the plot unfolded was able to be brought to life.

Also Nomura is going to use the DLC to expand things at the Keyblade Graveyard:

Q: How is the development of the planned DLC going?
A: Currently, I gave a list of things I'd like to have done concerning battles to the staff, who are in the process of going through it. As for additional scenarios, I told you just before that the final battle in the Keyblade Graveyard came to be [the way it is] because of a certain intention I had, so I think that's going to be the main focus. I'm hoping that it will be completed as soon as possible, but because development is happening alongside the preparations for the next project, I can't say with certainty when it will be released. For the time being, it's planned that instead of splitting up all the parts separately, everything will be released all in one pack together.

Likely playable characters so more guardians other than Sora can get their badass moments if I had to guess and some more cutscenes.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Roxas fate was immoral as hell and reminded me a lot of the fucked PETA logic of "Well this doggo might be happy with a human family doing his doggo things but since this is not how we think he was SUPPOSED to be, it's best for him if we just put him down"

It left a sour taste in my mouth since day one

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
But I'm also the guy who'd have been cool with half the cast that was dead by DDD being super dead.

Would not have blinked a bit if Roxas, Namine, Xion, Axel, Terra and Ventus were gone and stayed gone

Oct 25, 2017

Roxas and Xion don't even have any dialogue after Sora goes to Scala at all. You really think the grand end to their story was a single shot of them eating ice cream? The fact is that Roxas has been one of the two most popular characters in the entire series for the past 13 years, and Nomura has gone out of his way to include him in every game (aside from 0.2) even when there wasn't necessarily a reason to do so. You think we're never seeing a scene with him and Ven talking? That we're not going to get Ansem the Wise actually coming to him and apologizing? That his new friendship with Hayner, Pence and Olette won't get any focus? I'm not sure you actually know what series this is.

Those characters will stick around because they're a core part of the series. I mean, you could have sad the same thing about Ienzo not having any future role prior to 3 and he's in practically the entire game. If there are going to be 13 lights then you can absolutely expect Roxas and Xion to be among them.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't see them wanting to sit on the sidelines while the guy who they literally owe their lives to is still out there fighting.
I'm sure they'll make cameos but that doesn't really make them important or relevant to a potential Subject X subplot.

The Subject X subplot revolves around the other leaders, Isa and Lea. They're not going to be tied to it in any significant extent.