• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
User Banned (1 Week): Doxxing.

The man physically grabbing and pushing the excited graduates seems to be an employee or lecturer/faculty member of UoF but every part of the video and his behavior I find troubling.

MOD EDIT: Removed personal information.

Regardless of his given direction or the degree of supervisory authority he was lent by the college the sheer physicality here seems wrong, excessive, and completely inappropriate. The popular hot take by people posting up defenses for this man is online (ya know the type... slightly racist bottom dwellers who love harsh law and order more than anything in the world when it involves POC) is that these ceremonies are incredibly long affairs and he was just doing his job. The speculation abounds but there are concrete accumulating details that would lead one to believe that YES this was a racist moment.

Simply observed in the videos the students were committing no crimes, they were reasonably excited for the day and their accomplishment, and none of them really seem to be dragging the proceedings down at all. This whole thing seems messed up and extremely unfortunate but people rushing to victimize/defend the official online and admonish the graduates makes it even grosser.

All I have to say if I was in the audience and saw my kid being touched or manhandled like this I'd have very, very stern words for both the school and the faculty member. SMH

Last edited by a moderator:

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If it's all on video, can't a comparison of time on stage be done to determine intent?

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, why's he gotta ruin their shine? I don't really see a problem though, no fun police. He got at the ones who were the most active, so that's pretty consistent.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you see a black graduate not get moved off stage, so I'd rule out racism. You don't need to commit a crime for your time on stage to be revoked - dancing on stage could just be something they were told not to do. And I'm not seeing any excessive force*.

*Edit:
Actually, watching again, I'm not sure what to make of the last few seconds. I don't seen an issue with the rest, though.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is that guy at? Trying to restrain them at graduation? The fuck?

A grad isn't some holy fucking ceremony. Jesus Christ. Let the kids celebrate.

OP
OP
Amiablepercy

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I mean, you see a black graduate not get moved off stage, so I'd rule out racism. You don't need to commit a crime for your time on stage to be revoked - dancing on stage could just be something they were told not to do. And I'm not seeing any excessive force.

You shouldn't be touched at all period if you aren't committing any kind of crime or endangering a fellow citizen even more so when the person doing the excessive touching isn't a law enforcing official.

Oct 27, 2017
Like this is one of those racial incidents that's not "angering" but just weird.

Like, just let the kids be happy, jeez. Is letting each [black] student get 3 more seconds really going to delay the ceremony?

If he just stood at the side of the kids and ushered them along in an exasperated manner, this thread would have been made in a much more light-hearted and humorous tone. The physical grabbing and moving is just so uncalled for in a student/teacher dynamic.

Chemistry professor gonna get that reaction.
hur hur

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I mean, you see a black graduate not get moved off stage, so I'd rule out racism. You don't need to commit a crime for your time on stage to be revoked - dancing on stage could just be something they were told not to do. And I'm not seeing any excessive force.
That's not how it works. The determining factor here is whether their treatment was influenced by race, not what happened to other black people.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this happens every single year at graduation: kids/parents are asked not to celebrate and they always do. What can you do.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Dont know about you guys but when I graduated(Aus) we had clear rules about what to do on stage. Additionally if its racism why arent all the black graduates being tossed?

OP
OP
Amiablepercy

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Seems like this happens every single year at graduation: kids/parents are asked not to celebrate and they always do. What can you do.

Not touch them but firmly direct them to the side of the stage with a stare of death and strong voice.

Dont know about you guys but when I graduated(Aus) we had clear rules about what to do on stage. Additionally if its racism why arent all the black graduates being tossed?

Toss them but don't put your hands on them. People who think this isn't possible without physicality are either lazy or have never administrated.

213372bu

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's every fucking year at a high school or college graduation, I don't see the issue.

They pound in your head that any excess celebration will get you removed from the stage, and every year people rightfully don't give a fuck but they get pushed off.

I can only imagine the people who see this as something special have either never graduated, or at least never graduated at an institution that isn't 90% White.

Can someone point me towards the issue here, and why this man in particular is being called out for vigilante justice on something the school forces you to take action on?

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Locking this thread. If someone else wants to make a thread for this story, they are free to do so without engaging in doxxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.