• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
One day I'll make a game with all that Unity fluff.
One day.
Make a Lawnmower Man/Matrix crossover?!
15403888701411398.gif

154038916460303.gif

Feb 10, 2018
I do hope next gen theres a big push for more polycount rather then aesthetics.
Games are pretty enough now for me.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
i was already pretty impressed at the level of density, but then i hear this was running on an iphone?

what!?

ThanksVision

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

hmm, really interested in this.. been working on something extremely basic with current unet and am having trouble finding any sort of 'best practices' or 'we recommend doing this to accomplish x, y, and z' so I'm hoping I can follow along with this.. I'm still having such a rough time with networking, server/client auth, when to use what, how to make players cleanly interact with an object, etc etc etc

maybe I'm trying to jump too high for my first project :)

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
hmm, really interested in this.. been working on something extremely basic with current unet and am having trouble finding any sort of 'best practices' or 'we recommend doing this to accomplish x, y, and z' so I'm hoping I can follow along with this.. I'm still having such a rough time with networking, server/client auth, when to use what, how to make players cleanly interact with an object, etc etc etc

maybe I'm trying to jump too high for my first project :)
Unet as you know it now is going to lose support very soon, look at this project to see what they are doing.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
That's good to hear as I remember people complaining about it around the time Superhot VR came out. I think I'm going to try and tech myself to use it.

I decided to do something similar a few days ago.
There are some youtube videos about making first steps, like building your own bow and arrow mechanic for VR

I'm watching some of Brackeys tutorials on Unity (non VR) as I don't really know much about C#, this small series was quite fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48LtUkZRjU&list=PLPV2KyIb3jR53Jce9hP7G5xC4O9AgnOuL

You'll find some VR specific stuff simply by searching on google/youtube.

Edit: Be aware that Unity seems to be changing quite abit with new releases and they change around menus and where to find stuff, also happens in this tutorial series but it's not a dealbreaker as you can quickly find everything by just looking around, reading the comments or google.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this demo could run in Unity 2018 and the ECS/Job system it has, or if there's some stuff in 2019 it really needs.

I guess it's doing some really effective CPU-side occlusion culling. It's a shame to have to wait for Unity 2019 to get the details (unless they're maybe going to do a deeper dive before then?)

To answer my own question, they're live-streaming their ECS panels all day, and it sounds like they're covering topics that we might surmise are shown off in this demo :)

https://twitter.com/unity3d/status/1055123023483801600?s=21

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to do something similar a few days ago.
There are some youtube videos about making first steps, like building your own bow and arrow mechanic for VR

I'm watching some of Brackeys tutorials on Unity (non VR) as I don't really know much about C#, this small series was quite fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48LtUkZRjU&list=PLPV2KyIb3jR53Jce9hP7G5xC4O9AgnOuL

You'll find some VR specific stuff simply by searching on google/youtube.

Edit: Be aware that Unity seems to be changing quite abit with new releases and they change around menus and where to find stuff, also happens in this tutorial series but it's not a dealbreaker as you can quickly find everything by just looking around, reading the comments or google.

Thanks, appreciated.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive stuff, even more so that it's running on an iPhone X.

I wish they'd support Swift or Objective-C as language options; I think Unity would get more use by iOS devs if they did.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A combination of the new garbage collection system, the job system and ECS is gonna go a long way towards eliminating the issues that mainly have been causing people to go "ew, Unity". It's a good engine, but it's taken a while for the devs to really fix things up there. ECS isn't necessary for well-optimized code, especially with the Job System providing much easier multithreading, but it basically does multithreading for everything by default.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
I can't wait for Unity 2019. Been stuck using Unity 2017 since last year but the upgrade will be so worth it with all these huge improvements coming next year.
Polygon budget is getting more and more expansive which excites me to no end. And finally, terrain overhaul too!

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Whats the processor on an Iphone XS/XR..? Can't be fucking arsed to navigate apples mess of a site. What snapdragon is it comparable too?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this demo could run in Unity 2018 and the ECS/Job system it has, or if there's some stuff in 2019 it really needs.

I guess it's doing some really effective CPU-side occlusion culling. It's a shame to have to wait for Unity 2019 to get the details (unless they're maybe going to do a deeper dive before then?)
If you look carefully at the video, they are using Unity 2018.3 beta, though it's possible they are using a branch with new features/optimizations

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Cant watch at work, will later at home, is that a procedural city builder? (looking like that with presets?)