OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
The Wii had a similar situation where it wasn't powerful enough hardware to run the main entries in popular IPs or for other reasons for interesting EP-like spin-offs. I'm thinking of games like Dead Space: Extraction, the similar Resident Evil game, Dragon Quest Sword, Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers(?) and others. It was an odd console with odd entries in established IPs.
Yes! That's why I love the Wii.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
F-Zero Maximum Velocity, GP Legend, and Climax for GBA. All great handheld racers that captured the spirit of the first SNES F-Zero.

Also Wipeout Pure and Pulse.

I miss them all.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
F-Zero Maximum Velocity, GP Legend, and Climax for GBA. All great handheld racers that captured the spirit of the first SNES F-Zero.

Also Wipeout Pure and Pulse.

I miss them all.
One of those F-Zero titles is a JPN-only title, I think, which is the only one I don't have.

Can't believe three F-Zero titles released on GBA and the last console title was GX. Nearly 20 years.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
One of those F-Zero titles is a JPN-only title, I think, which is the only one I don't have.

Can't believe three F-Zero titles released on GBA and the last console title was GX. Nearly 20 years.

Climax is pretty good and you don't need much Japanese to be able to play it. IIRC, it doesn't have the story mode that GP Legend had. At the time it felt like a bit of a rehash -- the custom courses were made from the same track elements that the GP Legend bonus e-reader courses were constructed from -- but it's still a good F-Zero game.

I really wish there would be another one. This style would be fine, though GX would be even better. Those Gamecube graphics still hold up today.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Climax is pretty good and you don't need much Japanese to be able to play it. IIRC, it doesn't have the story mode that GP Legend had. At the time it felt like a bit of a rehash -- the custom courses were made from the same track elements that the GP Legend bonus e-reader courses were constructed from -- but it's still a good F-Zero game.

I really wish there would be another one. This style would be fine, though GX would be even better. Those Gamecube graphics still hold up today.
Thanks for explaining. I never had an e-Reader, so I guess it'd all be new to me. I'll have a look on eBay. And yes, agreed - the GC graphics still hold up. No doubt the higher resolution via Dolhpin looks even better.

EDIT: just checked the Climax prices on eBay. DAMN.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Thanks for explaining. I never had an e-Reader, so I guess it'd all be new to me. I'll have a look on eBay. And yes, agreed - the GC graphics still hold up. No doubt the higher resolution via Dolhpin looks even better.

I never had an e-Reader either, and was really missing those courses until Climax came out with its editor, and it became clear that the e-Reader courses were made with it, or a previous version of it.

EDIT: just checked the Climax prices on eBay. DAMN.

Ouch. I think I sold my copy for ~$30 or so several years ago (maybe a decade now). Should have held on to it!

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The Wii had a similar situation where it wasn't powerful enough hardware to run the main entries in popular IPs or for other reasons for interesting EP-like spin-offs. I'm thinking of games like Dead Space: Extraction, the similar Resident Evil game, Dragon Quest Sword, Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers(?) and others. It was an odd console with odd entries in established IPs.
That actually makes the Wii very unique and i like it for that

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo got it right in the beginning with original handheld titles like Super Mario Land. Putting a port like SMB DX on GBC is just so much more disappointing than an actual original game.

SML isn't exactly overlooked tho, I get the impression a lot of people really like it. It even got that New Super Mario Land remake out of nowhere.

220px-Summon_Night_-_Swordcraft_Story_Coverart.png
220px-Summon_Night_-_Swordcraft_Story_2_Coverart.png

While I never played any of the SRPG mainline entires the Summon Night: Swordcraft story games were great fun with neat stories and combat that was like a tales game with one party member. Unfortunately we never got the third game in the series.
I miss this series so much. I would kill to get a fourth one or at least a fan translation of the thirf.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Nintendo got it right in the beginning with original handheld titles like Super Mario Land. Putting a port like SMB DX on GBC is just so much more disappointing than an actual original game.

SML isn't exactly overlooked tho, I get the impression a lot of people really like it. It even got that New Super Mario Land remake out of nowhere.

I too would've loved a new Mario Land on the GBC but I wont stand disrespect to SMB DX. That game was incredible.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Tbh though i havent played it in like, what, 20 years or so. I might not like it if i played it now. But my memories of it are great.

I've tried to get into it a few times over the years, last year too I think when I was going over all kinds of retro games, but I just can't. It just plays all wrong.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Neo-Geo Pocket Color:
  1. Metal Slug 1st Mission
  2. SNK vs Capcom: The Match of the Millennium

Virtual Boy:
  1. Wario Land

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
If we're talking about overlooked franchise entries, i have a favorite:

latest

A stinker for a lot of people, but i love it, it has its own flavor of Castlevania, dark and depressing, amazingly atmospherical, and translating perfectly the LoS gameplay to 2D

Castlevania-Lords-of-Shadow-Mirror-of-Fate-10.jpg

No screenshot could make it justice, on the 3DS the game is like a detailed diorama, it had volume and depth, the graphics were finetuned to work in stereoscopic mode. It's an amazing experience.

As a Castlevania fan this one HURT, the producer fucked up its reception by revealing an HD version before releasing the 3DS one (and the LoS fandom was SCREAMING for an HD version) and then the reviewers went ballistic because it wasn't SotN 3D or somthing like that. It's always regarded as the inferior LoS game, and i disagree.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018

latest

A stinker for a lot of people, but i love it, it has its own flavor of Castlevania, dark and depressing, amazingly atmospherical, and translating perfectly the LoS gameplay to 2D

No screenshot could make it justice, on the 3DS the game is like a detailed diorama, it had volume and depth, the graphics were finetuned to work in stereoscopic mode. It's an amazing experience.

As a Castlevania fan this one HURT, the producer fucked up its reception by revealing an HD version before releasing the 3DS one (and the LoS fandom was SCREAMING for an HD version) and then the reviewers went ballistic because it wasn't SotN 3D or somthing like that. It's always regarded as the inferior LoS game, and i disagree.
Haven't played this one, but your post is getting me hyped af for it. I'm all for showing less appreciated games love.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm here to represent the part of the Suikoden gang that like the Nintendo DS entry. Suikoden Tierkreis was maybe not the best Suikoden but it was a great one and a great J RPG. I loved playing that story.

61GEAxAKulL._AC_.jpg

suikoden-tierkreis-nintendo-ds-175.jpg
I always saw it being praised in online forums so it doesn't seem to be a bad game but when i tried it I couldn't get into it. It was such a departure from the main series in tone and style i just couldn't stop comparing it to the main series and take it for what it was.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I always saw it being praised in online forums so it doesn't seem to be a bad game but when i tried it I couldn't get into it. It was such a departure from the main series in tone and style i just couldn't stop comparing it to the main series and take it for what it was.
That's the downside to belonging to esteemed franchises :(. So many great games sidelined because it's not what people expected. Not trying to dig at you, I've done it myself with some games.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mega Man V on the game boy:

vb1MfLJ.jpg

Totally unique, not a NES port, and better than most of the NES games.

Lufia : The Legend Returns on the game boy color:

NmrYeiO.jpg

Had a cool unique battle system

Dragon Warrior Monsters on the game boy color:

YOXUihL.jpg

It's the best non-pokemon monster trainer game ever made, and is better than many pokemon games too.

Donkey Kong 94 on the gameboy:

SuGcN5Z.jpg

Better than almost any other game with DK in the title (I prob like DKC2/3 more, that's about it).

Blaster Master on the game boy color:

bN1lcge.jpg

Good followup to the NES version.
You have amazing taste!

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
That's the downside to belonging to esteemed franchises :(. So many great games sidelined because it's not what people expected. Not trying to dig at you, I've done it myself with some games.
Yeah that's always a risk but i rather have devs take chances instead of always relying on a tried formular even if i might not end up enjoying it.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nearly every fighting game on the NEO GEO POCKET COLOR felt like an 8-bit demake in the best way (even though it was technically 16bit).

mvc.gif

It was really cool if you wanted to experience a uniquely simpler fighting game that didn't feel watered down somehow.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Nearly every fighting game on the NEO GEO POCKET COLOR felt like an 8-bit demake in the best way (even though it was technically 16bit).

mvc.gif

It was really cool if you wanted to experience a uniquely simpler fighting game that didn't feel watered down somehow.
That gif is sooooo beautiful.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

mvc.gif

I really spent an arm and two legs buying this game on eBay, in mint condition. PAL version, so it came with the hard case.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I saw in Nintendo Life's review of Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2 that the GBA entries were purportedly excellent, anyone played them?

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017

latest

The story was pretty cool, loved the bossfights and the fact that each one of the main characters brought a different type of Castlevania gameplay. The Alucard chapter was my favorite.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't own a Switch.

Metal Gear Ac!d would be PERFECT for Switch.

Those games would work on mobile phones and you could have a console/PC version anyway.

The fact they exist only on PSP is a crime.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So... Nobody even mentioned Persona 3 Portable? Atlus did a great job converting it from PS2 to PS3, revamped and improved a lot of systems AND added a whole new female MC route, which was arguably superior.

It's not quite a completely separate game, but it's more of that EP moniker from the OP I feel.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
So... Nobody even mentioned Persona 3 Portable? Atlus did a great job converting it from PS2 to PS3, revamped and improved a lot of systems AND added a whole new female MC route, which was arguably superior.

It's not quite a completely separate game, but it's more of that EP moniker from the OP I feel.
I said in the OP 'no ports like Persona 3 Portable' BUT you're right, it fits well! I only used it as an example because at the time of writing I couldn't really think of many 'ports' to use as an example.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Edit, this thread is seriously te.pting me to get a PSP. I actually have the two Yakuza games, but never played them! :)
Do it! PSP is amazing. Great list of games in the OP of this following link to maybe give you more recommendations.

www.resetera.com

In my neverending quest to prove how underrated the PSP is on Era, I present an open challenge to those that say the DS is better.

I'm fiendin' to make a good poll right about now but I can't think of any so this'll have to do. I already mentioned this challenge in another thread but nobody replied so I'm hoping there's some takers if it has its own thread. I've copied/pasted the bulk of the text and added new genres and...

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Do it! PSP is amazing. Great list of games in the OP of this following link to maybe give you more recommendations.

www.resetera.com

In my neverending quest to prove how underrated the PSP is on Era, I present an open challenge to those that say the DS is better.

I'm fiendin' to make a good poll right about now but I can't think of any so this'll have to do. I already mentioned this challenge in another thread but nobody replied so I'm hoping there's some takers if it has its own thread. I've copied/pasted the bulk of the text and added new genres and...
I do have a ton of PSP games on my Vita (well, one of three), which is really where I prefer to at them. That said I also have bunch of PSP games and would like to get more that aren't on the Vita in the PSN Store.

Hmm... Is 2K or 3K recommended? Which has a better screen? Also, is custom firmware still easy to do on PSP?

I will most likely rip the UMDs and play the games on Vita / PS TV / Android Emulation, but I would like the option to tool around with actual hardware. Going to repost in that PSP thread. :)

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I do have a ton of PSP games on my Vita (well, one of three), which is really where I prefer to at them. That said I also have bunch of PSP games and would like to get more that aren't on the Vita in the PSN Store.

Hmm... Is 2K or 3K recommended? Which has a better screen? Also, is custom firmware still easy to do on PSP?

I will most likely rip the UMDs and play the games on Vita / PS TV / Android Emulation, but I would like the option to tool around with actual hardware. Going to repost in that PSP thread. :)
I've never had a 3k tbh but the 2k model is beautiful and yes custom firmware is super easy to install.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Yeah, looking now and it's $150ish depending on condition, accessories, etc... That's not bad at all. Now, the hard choice... what color to pick. Do Japanese PSPs have reversed X/O and is that correctable in CFW if yes?
Yes this is 'fixable' on CFW. Taken from a Reddit post:

Press select on XMB to open the VSH Menu
Select the Recovery Menu Option
Go to Registry Hacks
There is a Swap O/X option, activate it then go back to the main Recovery Menu
Select Restart VSH

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yes this is 'fixable' on CFW. Taken from a Reddit post:

Press select on XMB to open the VSH Menu
Select the Recovery Menu Option
Go to Registry Hacks
There is a Swap O/X option, activate it then go back to the main Recovery Menu
Select Restart VSH
Oh, this is nice. Might order one directly from Japan as stock and condition generally seems better.

Jun 2, 2019
The story was pretty cool, loved the bossfights and the fact that each one of the main characters brought a different type of Castlevania gameplay. The Alucard chapter was my favorite.

It's a very unique take on the series, with each character leaning on a different type of gameplay. Personally, i liked Simon Belmont (i'm more of an action oriented player) but that's part of the charm this game has

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance + Tactics Advance 2 and Birth By Sleep.

Also Type-0 on PSP in Japanese was my favorite FF experience from that era of SE games. (Fuck the localization + PS4 port which ruined the game's ambiance and story).
I love FFTA even more than the original. I have hundreds of hours racked up on my cart.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Gauntlet The third encounter (originally it was supposed to be its own game , only later was reskinned with the Gauntlet IP) for Atari Lynx was peculiar because it used a picture in picture feature which is one of the first example I can think of.
You hold the console in picture mode and on the bottom part there is a box which shows enemies and items close to the player from a first person, so you see them getting bigger the closer you get to them (it utilizes the Lynx in hardware capabilities to scale the sprites).

LYNX_Gauntlet_-_The_Third_Encounter.png

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Gauntlet The third encounter (originally it was supposed to be its own game , only later was reskinned with the Gauntlet IP) for Atari Lynx was peculiar because it used a picture in picture feature which is one of the first example I can think of.
You hold the console in picture mode and on the bottom part there is a box which shows enemies and items close to the player from a first person, so you see them getting bigger the closer you get to them (it utilizes the Lynx in hardware capabilities to scale the sprites).

LYNX_Gauntlet_-_The_Third_Encounter.png
Wow, nice shout. You always bring the quality posts!