• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Call of Duty Series UK Retail

[Week 45, 2007] CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE (ACTIVISION) < 215,000 / NEW
[Week 46, 2008] CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 430,000 / NEW
[Week 46, 2009] CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 1,600,000 / NEW
[Week 45, 2010] CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 1,800,000 / NEW
[Week 45, 2011] CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 3 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 1,773,000 / NEW
[Week 46, 2012] CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 1,386,000 / NEW
[Week 45, 2013] CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 690,000 / NEW
[Week 45, 2014] CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 730,000 / NEW
[Week 45, 2015] CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 635,000 / NEW
[Week 44, 2016] CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 328,000 / NEW
[Week 44, 2017] CALL OF DUTY: WWII (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 515,000 / NEW
[Week 41, 2018] CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS 4 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 260,000 / NEW

Jesus Christ at CoD at its peak. I do remember being there for those numbers but it's still crazy looking back.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
c5w9qqi.png

gOgaHvw.jpg

Amazing

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Digital has grown in the last 12 months but not enough to make up a 50% drop. Clearly U.K. sales are significantly down.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It doubled the previous game's digital PC sales globally and broke the all-time record for the Playstation Store. The UK could be an outlier possibly.

UK being an outlier would be really weird, UK fucking loves their Call of Duty.
I think PC sales being high makes sense, battle royale "started" on PC and treyarch has always treated PC people pretty well.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I would suspect that physical sales took a bigger hit than digital sales will compensate. Digital sales should reflect continuous inflation as digital distribution becomes more and more popular with consumers; however, the 50% reduction in physical sales seems awfully steep.

The transition to a largely, online only GASS game likely lost some consumers and it would not be surprising if these were considerably more likely to be players that appreciated physical ownership (you can play a singleplayer game, trade it in, and return it).

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean to be honest it's getting harder to pick up retail titles in the UK without going out your way.

All the main game stores except GAME are gone, supermarkets don't always stock a new game until the following week. Or only stock 3 of the most recent releases, or top 10 at others.

UK retail releases will never pick up again unless some incentive is magically brought to retail space

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
AC: Odyssey just proved that these headlines are kinda worthless. UK alone isn't a good indicator for worldwide market, but then also cutting out the substantial amount of digital sales? It just doesn't mean anything anymore.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Digital sales picking up. I wouldn't be surprised if PC sales were also stronger than usual for CoD. People seemed positive from what I've seen.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
I mean to be honest it's getting harder to pick up retail titles in the UK without going out your way.

All the main game stores except GAME are gone, supermarkets don't always stock a new game until the following week. Or only stock 3 of the most recent releases, or top 10 at others.

UK retail releases will never pick up again unless some incentive is magically brought to retail space

Ever heard of Amazon?

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Did we? I don't remember that. Japan numbers were decent, but besides that I don't think we've anything about those?

Ubisoft said Odyssey had the best start for a AC game thise gen. You would not imagine it, if you just look at UK numbers.

For Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I haven't seen global numbers. But in other territory like France, the game did great.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Expected, imo. No SP campaign, no reason to go physical.
I saw a comment on Reddit where someone argued that the physical drop vs solid digital is potentially reflective of the game's lack of singleplayer. As in, the demographic that plays Call of Duty singleplayer possibly has a significant overlap with the demographic that buys physical. There's no easy to prove or disprove that, but it is an interesting thought.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I mean, yes it's basically online only but what do you do with it when you have enough of it and moved on or when Blackout 2 (and the next COD) comes out in a year and the support of this game is dead?

On one side, it makes a lot of sense to go digital, but on the other side, it was never been dumber to not buy it physically.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Cod fatigue is absolutely setting in and Blops4 will feel the effect of this, however the positive sentiment is going to result in sales legs here. Digital sales will undoubtedly be strong for this one too.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, yes it's basically online only but what do you do with it when you have enough of it or when Blackout 2 comes out in a year and the support of this game is dead?

On one side, it makes a lot of sense to go digital, but on the other side, it was never been dumber to not buy it physically.

I'm sure when next year comes round you can always trade in your physical copy against the new CoD.

I'm sure some place will give you a decent price, I mean look at last years CoD WW 2 price.

GAME offer in UK, £5.00 trade in and that game had a single player. Probably get like £3 for BLOPS 4 next year.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I'm sure when next year comes round you can always trade in your physical copy against the new CoD.

I'm sure some place will give you a decent price, I mean look at last years CoD WW 2 price.

GAME offer in UK, £5.00 trade in and that game had a single player. Probably get like £3 for BLOP 4 next year.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Unironically unlike you. It's stupid to not go physical with this one cause it's basically dead in 12 months and everyone buys the next one. You could trade it in (together with one other game) and get another new game basically for free (if the GameStop 9,99 deals are still a thing). With digital it's dead meat in your collection when you're done (or when the game is dead).
Or when your done in half a year with it it's still 30-40 bucks worth cause the price stays stable for a long time, specially if it's successful.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
Every online/mp only game i have, i own it digitally, there is no point in have a disk that will be useless as soon the servers goes off. So, to me, this is just obvious.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
RDR2 is almost certainly eating into the "I only buy a few games a year" crowd - particularly when one of those other games tends to be FIFA.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
I saw a comment on Reddit where someone argued that the physical drop vs solid digital is potentially reflective of the game's lack of singleplayer. As in, the demographic that plays Call of Duty singleplayer possibly has a significant overlap with the demographic that buys physical. There's no easy to prove or disprove that, but it is an interesting thought.
This. Sounds plausible to me.

OP
OP
DriftingSpirit
Oct 25, 2017
AC: Odyssey just proved that these headlines are kinda worthless. UK alone isn't a good indicator for worldwide market, but then also cutting out the substantial amount of digital sales? It just doesn't mean anything anymore.
Digital sales will be added starting January 2019.

I wouldn't call it worthless with just physical though.

wolgoen

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Seriously? Is this PS4? Wtf.....on Xbox the digital and disc are the same data I assumed it was similar on PS4. That's....wtf.

Yep, I had God of War disc version installed in my library - it was a mates disc I'd borrowed and given it back - and I bought GoW today on the store as it's currently reduced.

After buying it came up with an error message saying I already had GoW disc version installed, this must be removed for the digital version to be installed.

EDIT: What's weird is the save game still works so I can still continue where I left off. So saves are digital/physical cross compatible.

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Every online/mp only game i have, i own it digitally, there is no point in have a disk that will be useless as soon the servers goes off. So, to me, this is just obvious.

Like I said, you could trade them for other games or sell them before the new game comes out (Or when you're done with it after a few weeks or months, cause, you know, it happens sometimes that you won't play every MP game for it's whole life circle) and it safes you a lot of money. I'm a little bit shocked sometimes how lazy some people are these days.

I mean, I know it from myself that I do it too here and there and buy digital, but then, when it happens that I just don't play a game anymore after 1-2 months or so, because I have to much other stuff to play, or I realize it just was dumb to buy and a mistake, then I'm freaking mad at myself and ask myself why I bought it digitally while I could make a good buck out of it if I had it physically.

Last edited:

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yes it's basically online only but what do you do with it when you have enough of it and moved on or when Blackout 2 (and the next COD) comes out in a year and the support of this game is dead?

I've never seen it that way before, but I think you have a good point here.

Last edited:

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Blops 4 will be the highest selling game of the year. This chart is meaningless.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
First CoD I've not bought since I can remember cos of no campaign but I imagine I'm a drop in the ocean on that point.

As much as digital is continually growing that still seems like a very steep drop.
It's particularly stark with the historical chart Bruno posted

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
Like I said, you could trade them for other games or sell them before the new game comes out (Or when you're done with it after a few weeks or months, cause, you know, it happens sometimes that you won't play every MP game for it's whole life circle) and it safes you a lot of money. I'm a little bit shocked sometimes how lazy some people are these days.

If it's the case of a singleplayer game with MP that is exactly what i do, play the campaing, check the MP, and sell or trade the game. I'm talking about games like overwatch, rainbow six siege, even destiny can be applied to that since the campaing is just a warmup to the real deal. But I understand your point, to me it does not apply to a game MP Only like black ops 4. But I still got it.

edit: by the way, Overwatch and Destiny i bought phisically and sold as soon they got on sale on xbox live, because i knew i will play them a lot, I don't buy a lot of stuff, most of my phisicall games are gifts from my wife and i basically play destiny AND overwatch haha

Last edited:

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Was pretty predictable. I'm a physical collector, but it didn't make sense to me, to buy a physical version of a mostly online only game. So I bought the digital version.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Okay guys, Q4 will be a bloodbath this year.

I am expecting a lot of multiplatform franchises to be down and it is pretty normal. Publishers will need to be very aggressive to stay in the spotlight. It could be via price promotion, aggressive marketing or thanks to an incredible reception (93+).

FIFA, Assassin's Creed and CoD are only the beginning : Battlefield, Fallout are next. Being in November they'll face a tougher competition with all the already released Q4 games that could be cheaper by then.

Spyro and RDR2 could escape that, thanks to a different target audience for the first one and the big return of Rockstar for the second (even tough we should define expectations beforehand, it won't be GTAV imo).

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as player numbers went up, it probably did.
not necessarily. just says "total number of players who connected online to play..."

if it actually matched or increased sales, they would've said. instead we get this really weak PR speak.

here's another theory: it declined YoY but because it's multiplayer focused, it's black ops and this year more than ever they're courting the hardcore audience, instead of a bunch of people buying the game and then playing it a few days later, or buying it and going straight into the campaign (and not connecting online), it's just a very dedicated group of players jumped straight in right off the bat, increasing total players online off of less copies.