Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The only people I ever see smoking these things are kids on the street.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
My opinion on vaping aside, I don't really see how vape shops are marketing towards children - if that's what you mean.

This doesn't apply to all vape shops, there's simply too many of them for it to apply to them all, but my local vape store that I use also moved to start selling imported candy as well, which was rather eyebrow raising.

As someone who has relied on disposable vape to deal with cravings for alcohol, I'm perfectly fine with them being banned. I've been resigned to the fact that I need to invest in a proper vaping kit for a while now.

What I'm more concerned about is that they're also launching a review into restricting refillable vaping flavours, when part of what helps take my mind off of my more destructive vice is experimenting with the different flavours.

Last edited:

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I'll post this video here as it seems pretty relevant and as Youtube has restricted it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuTQbOo3Y30&t=817s&ab_channel=TomNicholas

Its a good thing they are attempting to ban them, its the same pattern that happens ad infinitum and somehow we're shocked every time. We really are like goldfish with no memories or lobsters being slowly boiled to death, and we're powerless to do anything against the ones constantly creating more and more effective manipulation tactics.

Kazooie

Banned
Jul 17, 2019
In my opinion, it's an awful decision that will lead to an increase in cigarette smoking. If I was in the UK I'd be stockpiling.
Disregarding the stated reason here, disposable vapes should be illegal worldwide, because they are absolutely asinine products. You throw away a li-ion battery everytime you dispose a disposable vape. This is a tremendously nasty product for the environment and there is absolutely no reason to allow that. Why not buy reusable vapes instead?

OP
OP
Night

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
Disregarding the stated reason here, disposable vapes should be illegal worldwide, because they are absolutely asinine products. You throw away a li-ion battery everytime you dispose a disposable vape. This is a tremendously nasty product for the environment and there is absolutely no reason to allow that. Why not buy reusable vapes instead?

I have to agree after some time thinking about it and seeing everyone's reasoning. I used to do all that, even made my own juice. I let convenience rule me, sadly.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion on vaping aside, I don't really see how vape shops are marketing towards children - if that's what you mean.
you can't tell me these are aimed at anyone but children

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017

North of Scotland here, in a small-ish town outside of Inverness. We have at least three shops in the town selling disposable vapes, all three of them stock cheaper disposables, all three sell brightly-coloured, attractive disposables in a range of sweet flavours/scents, and they sell them in multiples for low prices (last week I think I saw 5 for £15, but it may have been a lower number of vapes) which puts them in easy reach of a few kids putting together their lunch money when they come in to these shops for lunch and/or snacks. In one shop, they're stocked alongside the snacks and piles of Prime and other energy drinks, so they are very, very clearly aimed at a particular market.

When I moved here back in 2008-ish, seeing any kids smoking was unusual. Over the last 3-4-ish years as disposable vapes became more easily available here, then sold more and more widely, it's unusual not to see secondary school-age kids vaping, whether that's at lunch during school, when they're stepping out of the doors of the secondary school (the ease of concealment, the quickly-dissipating vape clouds and the sweet scents make them easy to use even right in front of the school reception) or when they're out after school. Purchase is easy as I believe that proxy sales on vapes aren't a legal issue yet, unlike alcohol, so the local newsagent and mobile repair shop are happy to hand over vapes to older teens who walk straight out and hand them over to younger kids waiting outside, and the waste issue is enormous - the packages are torn open and abandoned outside the shops, or down nearby alleys, and the vapes themselves are just chucked on the ground when they're used. Throw in vapes making their way into primary schools (they were being used by kids in the toilets at my daughters' primary before they left for secondary) and vaping being taken up by kids as young as 10 or 11 and you have a huge issue, compounded by the way that vaping and vapes are being made enormously appealing to this younger cohort.

No issue with vaping for adults, and I wouldn't want to see vaping banned, but I think it is entirely fair to say that disposable vapes and vaping in general has been made enormously attractive to a very young audience who aren't able to make fully educated decisions about the safety, cost etc. of vaping, and that it is a hugely cynical thing that has reversed decades of anti-smoking education and legislation in a matter of years.

Seik

Jan 5, 2023
Québec City
I'd be more worried about the wastes it creates than the youth using it honestly. I bought one of those for THC vaping and when I was done with it, I was thinking how wasteful it was to have a lithium ion battery in there and all this plastic, by the million, it generates. Got a battery/carts after that, even though so far I think those taste less good.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

Can only speak for Germany but disposable vapes weren't really a thing 10 years ago. The economics were terrible.
10€ for a stick that will last one evening.

But they increased taxes on liquids and aromas (big tobacco lobbyists are good at their job).
Elfbars are just super convenient compared to reusable vaping devices and if you don't mix your liquid at home DIY style, buying liquid is pretty expensive.

From a noob, casual smoker pov these elfbars kinda make sense. No charging, no changing coils, no refill.

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
Can only speak for Germany but disposable vapes weren't really a thing 10 years ago. The economics were terrible.

But they increased taxes on liquids and aromas (big tobacco lobbyists are good at their job).
Elfbars are just super convenient compared to reusable vaping devices and if you don't mix your liquid at home DIY style, buying liquid is pretty expensive.

From a noob, casual smoker pov these elfbars kinda make sense. No charging, no changing coils, no refill.
I just don't see in what way removing capabilities and options offers any convenience or benefit. A £15 Xros Mini isnt much different to a disposable in terms of size and weight, has a 1000mah rechargeable battery so it lasts longer than any disposible before it even needs recharged. The pods last 2-3 weeks, and 10ml of liquid, the equivelent of 2-4 disposables, is £2-3 (maybe more in Germany, I dunno). Recharging and refilling is more inconvenient than buying a whole new device every time you run out?

Kazooie

Banned
Jul 17, 2019

I'm German as well, but not a smoker / vaper (not even casual or noob), but there is no reason the whole device needs to be thrown away after emptying the liquid. I would absolutely be fine with a modular device where you remove just the liquid pod and replace it with a new liquid pod, without interacting with the fluid directly. I do not know whether multi-use devices with such a design exist, but there is no reason it cannot. Throwing away a new li-ion battery everytime you empty your liquid is the most decadent and careless move I could think of.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I'm German as well, but not a smoker / vaper (not even casual or noob), but there is no reason the whole device needs to be thrown away after emptying the liquid. I would absolutely be fine with a modular device where you remove just the liquid pod and replace it with a new liquid pod, without interacting with the fluid directly. I do not know whether multi-use devices with such a design exist, but there is no reason it cannot. Throwing away a new li-ion battery everytime you empty your liquid is the most decadent and careless move I could think of.

Oh I wasn't making excuses for people, just explaining where I see the appeal of these throwaway products.

There are devices available that work in a way you proposed. It is just economics tbh
We have reached a point where the cost of devices is super low but the cost of liquid is very high.
Similar to printers and ink or Gilette.

Good thing the UK is stepping in, because if you let the market handle it, disposable vapes would be the standard.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any comparisons between peak vape usage and peak cigarette usage? Curious to see just how bad the vape thing is right now.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'd support aggressive regulations on disposables just from an e-waste perspective.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
I'm all for banning disposable vapes. But the whole protect the children excuse is silly. The plastic and battery waste should be the reason.

Mar 11, 2020
No one is stopping you from using vapes, just disposable vapes. The environmental impact of disposable vapes is reason enough to ban them and reducing their access to children is an additional benefit.
The flavor ban is bullshit, i feel for those over there. If you vape just vapor with flavor and no nic cause you weened yourself off i feel for you. Thank god i fully got myself off finally, but i def don't support flavor bans with a tool that helps people cease smoking cigs for those that do use it like that or for oral fixations.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I just don't see in what way removing capabilities and options offers any convenience or benefit. A £15 Xros Mini isnt much different to a disposable in terms of size and weight, has a 1000mah rechargeable battery so it lasts longer than any disposible before it even needs recharged. The pods last 2-3 weeks, and 10ml of liquid, the equivelent of 2-4 disposables, is £2-3 (maybe more in Germany, I dunno). Recharging and refilling is more inconvenient than buying a whole new device every time you run out?

No need to convince me of the benefits of rechargeable vapes.
I recommend anyone to get a Uwell Caliburn. Even if you change pods every week you will save a lot vs an Elfbar.
But people are stupider and lazier than we all like to think.

Problem #1 in Germany is liquid prices atm
They even tax the PG/VG base now so you have to buy separate bottles of PG and VG (no tax if they aren't mixed yet). Mix that and then add aroma and nicotine (prices are up 500-600% from my own vaping days).
A 100ml bottle of ready to go liquid used to be 15-20€. Then they banned the sale of pre mixed liquid over 10ml.
IIRC a bottle of aroma for 100ml is 12-15€ these days.

If you combine all these factors and look at the ease of use of an elfbar, it is no surprise that disposable is taking over.

Philipp Morris lobbying worked. Those IQOS things are very popular as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
No need to convince me of the benefits of rechargeable vapes.
I recommend anyone to get a Uwell Caliburn. Even if you change pods every week you will save a lot vs an Elfbar.
But people are stupider and lazier than we all like to think.

Problem #1 in Germany is liquid prices atm
They even tax the PG/VG base now so you have to buy separate bottles of PG and VG (no tax if they aren't mixed yet). Mix that and then add aroma and nicotine (prices are up 500-600% from my own vaping days).

If you combine all these factors and look at the ease of use of an elfbar, it is no surprise that disposable is taking over.
Yeah I guess if the price discrepancy is that high I can see why they took off. Liquid is definitely more expensive than it used to be here in the UK, but it's still much more cost effective than disposables. If I look at one of the cheaper budget shops online they sell a box of 10 elfbars for £25.99 which is 20ml of liquid (2ml per disposable).

In comparison they sell 10 bottles of 10ml liquid for £15.99. That's £10 cheaper for the equivelent of 50 elfbars (and 50 less batteries in the trash). I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it just seems nuts to me that anyone would choose disposables here in the UK, and hopefully they can't for long.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It's odd, I've literally never seen one of these on the ground. If we get rubbish near me it seems to be drinks bottles, Mcdonalds bags or laughing gas canisters.