• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk

Exclusive: No.10 'Demanded UK Flag Be Printed On Oxford Vaccine'

Unit formed to fight Scottish independence is said to have asked vaccine taskforce about branding Oxford injection kits.
Downing Street has attempted to get doses of the Oxford University coronavirus vaccine labelled with Union Jacks.

HuffPost UK understands No.10′s newly-formed "Union unit", tasked with fighting calls for Scottish independence and other campaigns to break up the UK, wanted injection kits to bear the flag.

It asked the government's vaccine task force to insist manufacturers of the vaccine – developed by Britain's top university alongside pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca – use the UK flag.
It is thought Boris Johnson's aides hoped underlining the British success of the Oxford vaccine would boost affection for the Union and, abroad, "Global Britain" as the UK prepares to break from the EU to trade around the world.

One Whitehall official told HuffPost UK there had been an intensification in recent months on shoring up support for the Union.

"There has been a renewed interest on the impact of policy decisions on the union, and ensuring it is in no way detrimental to the devolved nations," she said.
The makers of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine have said they plan to conduct an additional global trial to assess the drug after questions were raised over some of its original results.

Scientists had expressed doubts about the robustness of results showing the shot was 90% effective in a sub-group of trial participants who were accidentally given a half dose followed by a full dose, instead of two full doses. The difference was caused by a manufacturing error.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
DazzlingPeriodicGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

Also I remember when the UK had the 2nd worst figures in the World and it was an utter shitshow here (still is) and so many people were defending the Goverment insisting the pandemic shouldn't be politicised. But yeah, make the vaccine propaganda pieces.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Putting the British flag on the one that underperforms and was riddled with mistakes in its testing seems about right, to be honest.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I will start a petition for every vaccine to have a sound chip with lofi celebration of thatcher's death when injected

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason I was reminded of Stephen Fry holding things to the camera and saying Made in England.

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Isn't this the one that seems to be in trouble because of bad testing methods? If so, then yes, they should put the dam flag on it, so people could avoid it.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Next thing the syringe will have to play God save the Queen as you are being injected.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
When your party in government has to set up a whole division to try and convince other countries in your union that they don't want be to independent, just 5-6 years after they voted to stay in the union, you know you have fucked up, the whole way Scotland was treated with brexit was disgusting, telling them throughout the independence vote run up that leaving the UK would be leaving the EU, then they vote to stay in the UK and the tories allow England to basically drag them out of the EU anyway was really fucked up, and then to risk the union with northen Ireland by fucking them over for brexit too, I swear the UK really needs to just be broken up because the way England votes in general fucks over everyone else in the union, and I say that as someone who knows that without Scotland in the union there is very little chance for me in England to have a non tory fuck government, but it's not right for us to continue to drag Scotland down against their will.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I may not know much about politics but I do know that a small vial with a union flag on it can easily undo all the steps the government has made to split these countries apart.

Let's be honest even if they did it something will go tits up, probably print it on the wrong way up or put on the EU flag instead.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno I think it would be fitting to print the UK flag on a vaccine that has had its results called into question by the global community

Note: I am not an anti vaxxer and if I was offered this I'd take it, flag or no flag

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Reminder that this is the same goverment that is bypassing the EMA to get this approved earlier

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Exact same shit with Trump putting his name on those stimulus cheques.

Fuck right off, you didn't do anything to create the vaccine, you useless incompetents.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Union Unit? Makes me want to leave even more.

Since Brexit Boris and his core lackeys seem convinced he solution to everything is a bit of simple propaganda ideally conveyed with a three word slogan. It's pathetic. They don't seem to realise that might work when you're trying to tear something down and just need to rabble rouse a bit but it's useful when you actually need to build something.

To be fair (not that I particularly want to) this seems to be an increasingly common issue with an over focus on politics as marketing and lack of commitment to detail and nuance.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Union unit, ugh. Are they trying to turn us into those loons you see at Royal events.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Sorry. Couldn't help but laugh at the article's picture of Hancock's "Live Love Laugh" tier of trash art on his office wall.

5fc0da2f1f00007709769f33.jpeg

EDIT: oh wow, it's a Damien Hirst piece...wow...ok

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
Well I guess that's slightly less horrible than Boris signing his name on the bottle so yay for being slightly less shitty than Trump.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
I tell ya what, if the vaccine itself ain't blue, I ain't touching it. None of this clear, liberal, metropolitan, globalist, lefty snowflake nonsense; gimme a propa British blue vaccine, innit.

Also, this:

The Prime Minister's official spokesman told reporters: "There are no plans for the Union Jack to be on doses.

Aha, Mr. Spokesman. I am aware that the Union Jack is only for ships. Don't think I don't see what you're doing. No Union Jack for vaccine vials, but the Union flag on the other hand...

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Fitting that they want the Union Jack to be plastered on the vaccine that seems riddled with errors and is a mess.