• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone post the image separately, can't seem to view it beyond the blurred embed, doesn't load in Twitter. Thanks.

ELaxE0NXkAAC8-K

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's the same old shit, my fish!

You would think a fish monger would know we sell most of it outside the EU. He either doesn't care or thinks he will make more money, doubt it, fish is nothing to the government except cheap anger wins for idiots, ma fish!

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The Lib Dem's are in a similar situation here as Labour is with Brexit. They're trying to pull votes from both sides so they can't come out too hard in favour of either side. Tories won't vote Lib Dem's if it risks putting Corbyn in and Labour won't if it risks Bojo but they'll need to do something in the event of a hung parliament or else...why do they exist?
Also they would need to back someone because they're meant to be the party of Remain. No parliament forming after an election and leading us into another election means we crash out without a deal.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for my last shred of hope in this country's population to flutter away this Thursday.

Living in Northern Ireland is magnitudes more frustrating, of course, as the only actual choices are a staunchly hard Brexit Unionist party hated by all well-minded people, and a Nationalist party who would never sit in Parliament and are therefore totally useless. We're the nation which will be affected most severely by Brexit and are totally fucking paralyzed.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
so a photo appears of a young child on the floor of a hospital. Bad look for the Conservatives

Load of bullshit defense force nonsense starts up accusing it of being fake for political points scoring.

turns out to be not fake and the attacks potentially backfiring on the tories. This could snowball - the original was bad enough.

BBC: Quick lets focus on a random comment from a Labour politician about Corbyn to distract people

Hardly a random comment from a random politician though is it?

Anyway, he was on Politics Live and came across a bit better. His argument was that he was parroting Tory attack lines back to his friend to lull him into a false sense of security. Which still didn't make much sense, but he's playing it down as "I've been a bit silly" and seems to be doing a lot of media today.

fwiw, the broadcasters don't seem to have sidestepped away from the hospital story at all - but it would be incredibly odd for this story to not be highlighted two days before an election....

Ed Davey is having a shocker on Politics Live right now saying the Lib Dems won't back anyone to form a government.

That interview was fucking bizarre lol - found myself laughing at the end of it, it was just odd...

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hardly a random comment from a random politician though is it?

Anyway, he was on Politics Live and came across a bit better. His argument was that he was parroting Tory attack lines back to his friend to lull him into a false sense of security. Which still didn't make much sense, but he's playing it down as "I've been a bit silly" and seems to be doing a lot of media today.

fwiw, the broadcasters don't seem to have sidestepped away from the hospital story at all - but it would be incredibly odd for this story to not be highlighted two days before an election....

That interview was fucking bizarre lol - found myself laughing at the end of it, it was just odd...

I cannot believe those idiots are still claiming they are going to crash us back to another election if they get the chance. It's unbelievable. To what end? What are they hoping will happen in the next election? I still think they are lying because it just isn't remotely a cromulent policy.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The thing that I just don't understand is that if Leave voters are so utterly convinced that it's the best thing ever, why are they so afraid of a second referendum? Surely that's not the worst thing in the world?

SvennusDemonicus

alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I cannot believe those idiots are still claiming they are going to crash us back to another election if they get the chance. It's unbelievable. To what end? What are they hoping will happen in the next election? I still think they are lying because it just isn't remotely a cromulent policy.
Sounds like LibDem to me!

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
A Scottish leaders debate tonight, so 3 incompetent leaders crying like children that independence for Scotland is bad whilst 1 semi-competent leader gets ganged up on whilst mostly talking about policy.

Good luck distinguishing Scottish Labour from Scottish Conservatives.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
The thing that I just don't understand is that if Leave voters are so utterly convinced that it's the best thing ever, why are they so afraid of a second referendum? Surely that's not the worst thing in the world?

Jacob Rees-Mogg was asked a similar question on LBC once and he said something along the lines of we'll lose.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

It seems like they're just trying to double down on their "we hate Corbyn but also hate Boris" shtick, when they clearly must be aware that it isn't cutting through - Ed Davey didn't really seem very convinced of his own arguments during that interview.

Like, he kept on mentioning a People's Vote and how they'd push for it...well why not fucking work with Labour if that's your primary intention?!

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I have been saying this forever.

If you're so sure you have the will of the people behind you, then what have you got to worry about?
And if you don't think you have the will of the people behind you, or you aren't sure, surely that torpedoes your legitimacy and makes another referendum a necessity to make sure we aren't fucking the country up to do something most people don't even want.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Radio 4's World at One is exploring the fall-out from remarks about Labour's election prospects made by the party's shadow health secretary Jonathan Ashworth.

Mr Ashworth has called his comments "banter" and now feels like "a plonker", but the Conservatives say they are "an honest and truly devastating assessment" of Mr Corbyn's leadership.

But Anneliese Dodds, a shadow Treasury minister, tells the World at One: "I don't think he looks like a plonker."

She describes how Mr Ashworth is "somebody who's very, very funny" who "frequently has people in stitches" and who "does engage in banter".

And she dismisses the leak of the conversation as "slightly desperate tactics from the Tories at this stage".

The Centrist alliance has arrived. Sharpening it's knives thinking Corbyn will be gone soon.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
It really is feverish nutter time. Boris can't win, he just can't. Look at them all, it's like Spitting Image. Five more years of that? Privileged sociopaths that are just so, so out of touch with regular people, their day to day lives and needs.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like they're just trying to double down on their "we hate Corbyn but also hate Boris" shtick, when they clearly must be aware that it isn't cutting through - Ed Davey didn't really seem very convinced of his own arguments during that interview.

Like, he kept on mentioning a People's Vote and how they'd push for it...well why not fucking work with Labour if that's your primary intention?!

Yeah I get the reasoning...or at least I did a month ago, though I thought it was bollocks. But to stick with it now, when that line has utterly failed...it's just bad politics. If you want to keep the Tory voters onside and really think they are voting for some kind of anti-brexit position that doesn't involve Labour (?) say you'll support whichever party agrees to a vote or something. Rather than this obvious bullshit. Why are they so shit?

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I don't think she's looking to get rid of Corbyn (from that), and it's more an effort to downplay the story.

They're waiting in the wings. The groupchat on WhatsApp is probably "full of banter" about how Labour will course-correct after losing on Friday.

Corbyn won't survive a loss (to a Tory majority) and it's depressing.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest question is "When do they expect these things to happen?"
If they refuse to support either of the larger parties and we need another election, we crash out of the EU without a deal.
If they somehow figure out a way to have a second referendum without a parliament in place, ignoring that that can't happen, who would ask for the extension and ratify it? We crash out of the EU without a deal.

For a party that is meant to be pro-Remain they need to stop coming out in support of the options that will guarantee a No Deal Brexit.

If they say they'll do that, they risk losing voters who
1) Decide "Hey if I'm getting Labour anyway I'll just vote Labour"
or
2) Want anyone but Corbyn as PM, so wont back a party that'll put him in.

They're fucked either way, such is the life of a centrist party. Running with "Swinson is a potential PM!" when she never was was a bizarrely stupid choice from them. From the offset they should have run with "Back us if you don't like the other two, we'll back the one that supports either Revoke or a second ref and will water down their policies to bring them towards the center."

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

I think they know it's a shit strategy but also have no ideas for a better one. May as well at least be consistent.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Paranoia that Remainers (who they see as The Establishment, the Media, and the Rich) will do everything in their power to fix the vote, having lost the first one thanks to their self-assured hubris.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
If Dr Moderate legitimately gets this right, I fully expect one of the big polling agencies to scoop him up.
More likely, we'll be making fun of him when he says similar things next election.

I think they know it's a shit strategy but also have no ideas for a better one. May as well at least be consistent.
Maybe they just know that Swinson might not be in charge post election and they can just throw this shitty idea under the bus with her when they make a deal.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe the left of the party was right about there being a bunch of right wing wrecker MPs, happy to josh around with Tories and regurgitate right wing talking points about their party leader 🤔🤔🤔🤔

To be honest I expected a load of Labour mps to quit the election by now, doing a big show of how unelectable and terrible Corbyn would be. It really is amazing and tragic the time we are in, people would rather have the country destroyed than let a decent honest guy who has a few non radical policies into power. This trick is pretty blatant though, I mean if that sways you now over the hospital, then there is no hope for them or this country.

WACCOE-1919

May 9, 2019
They're waiting in the wings. The groupchat on WhatsApp is probably "full of banter" about how Labour will course-correct after losing on Friday.

Corbyn won't survive a loss (to a Tory majority) and it's depressing.

If that's the case then it'll be up to labour members to also course correct, corbyn or not the current policy platform is the the best way forward, especially if the worst scenario occurs on Thursday/Friday.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
To be honest I expected a load of Labour mps to quit the election by now, doing a big show of how unelectable and terrible Corbyn would be. It really is amazing and tragic the time we are in, people would rather have the country destroyed than let a decent honest guy who has a few non radical policies into power. This trick is pretty blatant though, I mean if that sways you now over the hospital, then there is no hope for them or this country.

we were all expecting a mass exodus. pleasantly surprised.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Tactical voting is fascinating.

In France, our two-round system means that first round is "vote with your heart" and the second round "vote with your head". But we've reached a point where people are voting tactically even for the first round to avoid their worst case 2nd round scenario. The irony is that almost everyone is unhappy in the end.

If we were using the British system, given the current polls, I don't know anyone who would vote for anything else than Labour or Tory, to keep the worst of the two out.

Nov 2, 2018

Hiding behind the thin veil that it's anti democratic to go against an old vote which is ridiculous but no one has he stones to point it out to them openly.

The truth is it was barely a majority and it would be close again and it scares them shitless

Oct 29, 2017

In France, our two-round system means that first round is "vote with your heart" and the second round "vote with your head". But we've reached a point where people are voting tactically even for the first round to avoid their worst case 2nd round scenario. The irony is that almost everyone is unhappy in the end.

If we were using the British system, given the current polls, I don't know anyone who would vote for anything else than Labour or Tory, to keep the worst of the two out.
But your two round system is only for Presidential voting or also for national assembly?

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The polls are not the same in every seat

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
C'mon, you know that doesn't make sense.
If I give you a bag of crisps, and say you have a choice either you can flip a coin and risk losing the bag of crisps or just keep the bag of crisps you wouldn't pick the coin toss.

As far as Leavers are concerned they won already and a referendum risks Remainers "ruining it" for them.

Of all the things we can criticise Leavers for, wanting to avoid a second referendum isn't really one of them. It's completely sensible from their stand point. If Remain had won we wouldn't be going "We should have a second referendum" if by some bizarro universe miracle a study came out showing actually we would be better out of the EU.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
already voted last week. got my postal vote.

i'm in scotland so i doubt our vote will have much effect. let england go ahead with brexit if they want. i just want scotland to GTFO of the UK. even if by some miracle brexit was cancelled it wouldn't be enough for me. england has too much power over scotland. we voted to stay in the EU but oh no because england want out we need to go too.

i feel this whole carry on is a waste of time. baw jaws will still likely be PM at the end of it so we'll be back to where we were before it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.