• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly the Lib Dem semi collapse is the worst of both worlds. They've lost enough support so that they can't take Conservative seats but not enough that they won't split the vote in Tory-Labour marginals, costing Labour seats.

A full collapse will start sending plenty of seats Labour's way or a small surge will start removing Conservative MPs. This messy middle ground is playing right into Johnson's hands.

It's been mentioned a few times but tackle voting is crucial. Both Lib Dem and Labour voters need to hold their nose, and their needs to be a more consistent tactical voting message now that we have decent constituency level projections.

Stuff like the Kensington seat are the absolute worst case scenario. If the Lib Dems had remained around 20% they may have took it, but now we'd be better off with a collapse back to 7% so that Labour can retain it.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
My dad text me and says "After 9 years of what we've seen this country is going to return a Conservative majority? ..."

You know a Scottish person is angry when they finish a text with dots.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I had been toying with going back to the UK from France - it's isolating and money's tight in rural Normandy, but at this point France would have to kick us out for us to go back there.

My wife often says that the place can go to shit for all she cares, but people will suffer so much if it happens like this, friends and family (even though they voted to leave) will suffer, that I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Well at least YouGov has Zac Goldsmith losing. Return of Sarah Onley.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Even if all the 30 seats in question go to Labour, Tory will still swing 14 seats which is insane given the shitty governments that happened between 2017 and now. This would be a big loss for Labour.

Something extraordinary needs to happen in the next weeks to turn this around completely.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Polite version: I think you've lost sight of what matters and what doesn't.

I mean, I said I would take some small comfort in the decimation of the Lib Dems in the sea of despair of a big Tory majority, I didn't say it's something I wanted to happen or would be a favourable trade off.

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
This idea that pollsters are predicting historically low youth turnout is entirely based on people misreading the polling data:

If I understand that thread correctly (I probably don't to be fair), there's still a weighting overall that younger turnout will drop and older turnout will rise relative to each other (compared to 2017), but it's not as severe as the data might initially suggest.

18-44 sees a cumulative 19 percentage point (note, not percent) drop on 2017, versus a cumulative 8 percentage point drop for 45+.

Bad-maths.png

Feel free to rip me a new one, I've already admitted this isn't my speciality.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
So basically the lib dems are up 7 at the cost of labour and that's resulting in a huge Boris majority, and with all that the LD's are only up 1 seat? What a fucking useless party, we'd all be better off if they collapsed into nothingness.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Apparently, Jo Swinson has a 4% lead over the SNP in her seat.

If you live in East Dunbartonshire and see any of the young squad youth roaming the streets, tell them voting for the SNP will give them cheaper buckfast.

We need to flip her seat.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
If I understand that thread correctly (I probably don't to be fair), there's still a weighting overall that younger turnout will drop and older turnout will rise relative to each other (compared to 2017), but it's not as severe as the data might initially suggest.

18-44 sees a cumulative 19 percentage point (note, not percent) drop on 2017, versus a cumulative 8 percentage point drop for 45+.

Bad-maths.png

Feel free to rip me a new one, I've already admitted this isn't my speciality.

You can't just sum up the differences. You need a weighted average to combine the groups.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
LD still almost doubling vote share from 2015 and 2017. From 7 something to 14%.

Tories predicted to gain 0.6% from 2017, which is worth about 4 seats in a sane democratic world, yet they're predicted to gain 41.

When the Tories basically have nobody to split their vote, this will always happen with FPTP.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda depressing that the Labour manifesto just doesn't seem to have resonated with people.

How this country votes Tory I never understand but vote Tory with Boris Johnson as leader. Utter madness.

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
You can't just sum up the differences. You need a weighted average to combine the groups.
Isn't that what a percentage effectively is? Plus a PP drop on a smaller percentage (i.e. the lower age groups) is more significant anyway.

EDIT: By which I mean I'm only pointing to the general trend in the weighting, I'm not claiming that you can translate this effectively to votes or anything without knowing the group pop. sizes.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Kinda depressing that Labour manifesto just doesn't seem to have resonated with people.

How this country votes Tory I never understand but vote Tory with Boris Johnson as leader. Utter madness.
Eh the labour manifesto is doing it's job. Labour's still consistently raising and at a faster rate so far.

The tory manifest actually did nothing however.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I sent off my postal vote today, not that it'll make a difference. The last time my constituency voted in a non-Tory MP was 1923 :')) Nothing more depressing than knowing your vote is fucking worthless because of racist gammons and thickos who only vote Tory because their parents did and have never read a newspaper in their lives. Still, at least when Fuckface wins with 60% of the vote again I can throw my hands up and say it wasn't me. Woo.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Incredibly depressing to see so many northern towns that have been totally ravaged by the Tories continue to vote for them. Utterly bonkers.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda depressing that Labour manifesto just doesn't seem to have resonated with people.

Labour could of put forward the greatest manifesto in the history of man and nothing much would of changed. This country despite what people might tell you is full to the fucking brim of ''fuck you, got mine'' types. Full of self serving cunts who have somehow persuaded thousands and thousands of people that 9 years of Tory austerity is all the fucking EU's fault.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I sent off my postal vote today, not that it'll make a difference. The last time my constituency voted in a non-Tory MP was 1923 :')) Nothing more depressing than knowing your vote is fucking worthless because of racist gammons and thickos who only vote Tory because their parents did and have never read a newspaper in their lives. Still, at least when Fuckface wins with 60% of the vote again I can throw my hands up and say it wasn't me. Woo.
Yep, good on you for voting! I'm in a similar situation but I would never risk not voting.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
So Bolsover is predicted to go Tory, even with Dennis Skinner being there for fucking 49 years and being a huge Eurosceptic?

The country has lost its fucking marbles.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that what a percentage effectively is? Plus a PP drop on a smaller percentage (i.e. the lower age groups) is more significant anyway.

5 pp reduction in a category that has 100 people equals 5 people, the same with 4 pp reduction in a category that has 125 people. I don't have the stats at hand but I assume the 45+ years category might have a higher number of people in them.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Poll looks bad on the surface but they are saying a lot of slim tory leads in various seats, still feels like game on to me.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Ah yes, the old "I see a bad poll, time to get demotivated" cycle of this thread.

Chuck that thinking into the bin where it belongs. It's toxic and pointless.

If you care about a Labour being successful, you should be fighting your hardest to make that happen. Most people don't make up their minds until right before the election. These are the people that need to be targeted.
People will NEVER skip on an opportunity to shit on Corbyn, its quite impressive

I cant imagine how annoying this "oh i knew that Corbyn sucked here comes the crushing defeat" shit must have been in 2017

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
5 pp reduction in a category that has 100 people equals 5 people, the same with 4 pp reduction in a category that has 125 people. I don't have the stats at hand but I assume the 45+ years category might have a higher number of people in them.
Yeah, sorry, see my edit above, I wasn't trying to translate it to actual votes, I was just talking about the trend in the weighting applied, i.e. although there are drops predicted across the groups, the drop predicted in the younger groups is still generally greater than that in the older. Whether that turns out to be true or not, who knows, but if there is actually a surge in youth voting, it only makes the prediction even less accurate.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

Confirmation of Jo Swinson's seat.

Scotland, pls. Quite close. Do something about it.

That 8% of Labour voters, stop-it, get help. Vote SNP.

Status
Not open for further replies.