Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
UK friends, how often is a "crisp butty" or chip sandwich actually consumed? Once a week? Couple times a year?

Some people will have a crisp sandwich every day with their lunch. It is like people who put the fries on their burger. They will do that every time and you can't stop them.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Okay I'm on a quest to eat sandwiches like you english lot from here on out. Chip butties, crisp butties, bacon butties, sausage rolls, fish finger, I don't know what other kinds of sandwiches but ill find em, and eat em. baked bean sandwich, or just toast?

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I usually mostly dislike English food but full English is actually good, and much better than fucking Kellogg's.
That being said, sorry Brits, as an impartial observer :
US bacon >>>> Uk 'streaky bacon' (absurdly salty version of us bacon, I'm assuming for conservation reasons) >>> UK regular bacon from full English (aka a bad mix between bacon and regular ham, worse than either )

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Okay I'm on a quest to eat sandwiches like you english lot from here on out. Chip butties, crisp butties, bacon butties, sausage rolls, fish finger, I don't know what other kinds of sandwiches but ill find em, and eat em. baked bean sandwich, or just toast?

Don't forget pie sandwich.

640.jpg

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I usually mostly dislike English food but full English is actually good, and much better than fucking Kellogg's.
That being said, sorry Brits, as an impartial observer :
US bacon >>>> Uk 'streaky bacon' (absurdly salty version of us bacon, I'm assuming for conservation reasons) >>> UK regular bacon from full English (aka a bad mix between bacon and regular ham, worse than either )

Both bacons have their places - streaky bacon on a roll is an absolute no-no, whereas I wouldn't generally add chopped back bacon to a pasta sauce.

Jan 20, 2023
Some people will have a crisp sandwich every day with their lunch. It is like people who put the fries on their burger. They will do that every time and you can't stop them.
adding brown carbs to other brown carbs to make them more "interesting"

people

are the worst kind of people on this god forsaken hell island.

PS full scottish is obviously better than full english. tattie scones man, cant beat em

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Australian(Melb) version, which I fancied very much while living there. The smoked bacon was the best i've had and the salsa was amazing. Unfortunately I think the restaurant fell victim to the pandemic. I will fly down there again just to eat this again otherwise. The eggs can be done your way.

nhtVKLH.png

Definitely would, that looks great.

UK friends, how often is a "crisp butty" or chip sandwich actually consumed? Once a week? Couple times a year?

Crisps in a sandwich? It's not uncommon, though just on their own would be kinda odd. Throwing some nice crisps (potato chips for the yanks) in an otherwise soft sandwich can add some wonderful texture and flavour. Some cheese and crisps in a sandwich is a good combo.

A chip (French fries, kinda, for the yanks) sandwich, which you would never call a sandwich, but rather a chip butty (other entirely incorrect regional varieties are possible), is a great choice from any chip shop, but definitely a treat rather than an every day meal. It's about as 'working class' a meal as you can get, you'll find plenty eating them on the football terraces for instance.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
It's kind of a wide variety of stuff to eat, served all at the same time. I dunno. I'd probably be fine with like just two or three of those things.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who regularly dunks on British food (and how bland a lot of European food is), I'd rather have the English breakfast than a cup of shitty, sugary cereal.

Oct 25, 2017
as i said in another thread before, OP has no taste.

Came here to say this.

Something is seriously wrong with OP.

English breakfast [the meal, and the type of tea] is top tier comfort food.

Edit: as a general note though, I couldn't have appreciated EB, as a Canadian, until I moved to London for 3 years. You will not understand the glory of it [especially beans on toast, in particular] until you try it there. Criminally underrated.

Last edited:

Stencil

Mailing Out Their Business
Oct 30, 2017
USA
Here is a comprehensive photo
Sandwiches-for-sale-London-1972-1280x814.jpg

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
As someone who regularly dunks on British food (and how bland a lot of European food is), I'd rather have the English breakfast than a cup of shitty, sugary cereal.

Yeah, OP completely undermined his thread there. "Don't eat that plate full of protein, try this plastic cup of sugar". Might as well have a Snickers for breakfast.

Which I have done, more than once, but I don't get preachy about it.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Because what the eff is this?

Only thing appetizing looks like the toast and maybe the ham.

View: https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1627246595216404480?t=iA4hpc3gEevT83hWEv3_qg&s=19

Please allow me to save you

Stew%20saltfish%20Trini%20style.jpg

Or at least offer you an ounce of prayer in a cup. You don't have to be brave anymore.

910uXbW664L.jpg

Pulling for you guys, our fam across the pond, yeah? Innit.

Cool tip, we save those cereal cups to gift to our small children to use as extra snug thimbles to place over their fingertips. They love them.

I gotta say, the English breakfast looks way more appetizing to me than that second picture.

And others have said this here, but using cereal cups to dunk on English breakfast?? WTF?

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Love a cooked breakfast with a bit of potato bread and soda bread. I wouldn't eat it very often though, I'm overweight enough as it is.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Isn't this a photo from the sixties? They had stronger stomachs back then eh.

Edit - now I want a packet of golden wonder and a penguin.
No Coronation Chicken
No Ploughmans
No Turkey & Stuffing
No Prawn Mayo
No Sausage

This is like Nintendo without Mario. Playstation without Kratos. Xbox without Master Chief. It's just missing too much!
TBF -- this photo is from London in 1972. So, while I have no idea what 75% of those things both of you mentioned are, they were different times. What's a penguin in this context? What's a coronation chicken and who are ploughmans?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
TBF -- this photo is from London in 1972. So, while I have no idea what 75% of those things both of you mentioned are, they were different times. What's a penguin in this context? What's a coronation chicken and who are ploughmans?

Ploughmans are mans that plough. They need a hearty meal when they're pulling a plough so they eat a sandwich made with cheese, mustard, horse and caviar. Coronation chicken dates back to the coronation of King Henry VIII of Spain. The king ran out of ham so he killed a bird that was hanging around the throne. A "hen" or "floorduck" as they were called. It tasted alright so now we as a species eat chickens, with mayonnaise.

A penguin is a bird, ffs.

Oct 25, 2017
I generally prefer cereal or a continental breakfast but there's no better food while you're hungover and with quality ingredients they're fucking tasty

you could have picked any other UK dish but you chose the GOAT, oh dear for you.

I never got black pudding though. How is congealed blood deemed tasty by people, like wut.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Coronation Chicken is chicken mixed with mayo, mango chutney, curry powder, raisins, and other spices. It was created as a 'new' type of sandwich to be had during parties in the Queen's Coronation in the 50s.
A Ploughman's Sandwich usually consists of ham, cheese, pickle, mustard, and salad (though it can have other stuff like egg, apple, etc). It's based on the Ploughman's Lunch, an easy lunch for labourers on farms and such.
A Penguin is a chocolate bar with biscuit (like a Kitkat) and chocolate cream in the middle.

EDIT: You must determine which one of us, me or Guppeth, is telling the truth. Choose wisely.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Pork, stuffing, gravy and black pepper on a cob

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Bacon is bad now?
Sausages are bad now?
Eggs are bad now?
Hash browns are bad now?

Get lost OP.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the dishes that have come out of that country you choose to complain about that nice breakfast?

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Ploughmans are mans that plough. They need a hearty meal when they're pulling a plough so they eat a sandwich made with cheese, mustard, horse and caviar. Coronation chicken dates back to the coronation of King Henry VIII of Spain. The king ran out of ham so he killed a bird that was hanging around the throne. A "hen" or "floorduck" as they were called. It tasted alright so now we as a species eat chickens, with mayonnaise.

A penguin is a bird, ffs.
Coronation Chicken is chicken mixed with mayo, mango chutney, curry powder, raisins, and other spices. It was created as a 'new' type of sandwich to be had during parties in the Queen's Coronation in the 50s.
A Ploughman's Sandwich usually consists of ham, cheese, pickle, mustard, and salad (though it can have other stuff like egg, apple, etc). It's based on the Ploughman's Lunch, an easy lunch for labourers on farms and such.
A Penguin is a chocolate bar with biscuit (like a Kitkat) and chocolate cream in the middle.

EDIT: You must determine which one of us, me or Guppeth, is telling the truth. Choose wisely.
Oh jeez...
3K4.gif

I'm going to have to go with Guppeth's, since "floorduck" is the historically accurate term.
Do you two prefer a plowmans sandwich or the corona chicken sandwich? They both sound interesting.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've genuinely never seen an OP be so wildly wrong before, and not result in an immediate perma-ban.

Thimbles full of over-marketed, over-packaged sugar hits...lol.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
An English Breakfast is best when you mix all the elements into one bite, or make a sandwich out of all of them.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind all the fried stuff for breakfast/brunch at all. Wouldn't make it a daily thing though and would have to substitute pork with some other meat.

Oct 28, 2017
There is nothing sadder than an American not being able to recognise real bacon when they see it.

British food is crap, but a full English ain't it. Although, the Australians (and specifically the Melbournians) do English breakfasts and avo toast better than the British and anyone else for that matter.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I'd even rush to eat Coronation chicken over the Plan B plate in the OP....

what is that shredded stuff?

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Lmao at OP offering cups of sugar as an alternative.

English breakfast and least has tomato and mushrooms for some goodness.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
English breakfast plate is ridiculous. Like someone just went into the pantry and grabbed everything that was left and put it all on a plate.

Who the hell eats a 9 course breakfast. Its too early for that.

I have been to struggle thanksgiving dinners with less individual courses than that.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
Today, OP learned that almost noone on this site can recognize Ackee and Saltfish on sight. A Harsh lesson, but we all have to grow somehow. My Caribbean-American heart cries for you.

Both of those in OP are good for me, but I can eat the saltfish/plantain and co. dish way more often, although I'd prefer if it had a couple jammy boiled eggs on the side. The Full English Breakfast would be an event/cheat sort of meal for me.

Throwing the cereal cups in the ring was a choice though.

Ikouros

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm not even a huge Full English fan, but your suggested alternatives are laughable - fish with raw carrots, or tiny cups of sugar? Heinous.
At least promote some decent cereals like Fruit n' Fibre or some overnight oats.

Oh, and if I catch anyone talking shit about a proper Ploughman's, I'll stab you.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Can't beat a proper fry up. I can't manage them in the morning though, I'm not a big eater in the mornings. I'll happily have more than one a week for dinner or tea though.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021

Never knew a chip sandwich was called a chip butty, but that stuff is delicious. It's the perfect meal for when you're hungry but too lazy to make something proper.

In fact, maybe I'll go make myself one now.