• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 17, 2018
I would disagree. The TR2013 reboot, while having some apparent flaws, is significantly better than Rise and Shadow. While Rise and Shadow incorporate a lot of mechanics that sound appealing and add "depth" and longevity to the gameplay, all it really does in execution is just spread the gameplay incredibly thin across a much more poorly paced campaign, and this is knotted all up with way worse writing and a very bland Lara. The setup, and Lara herself, were much more fiery and memorable. The reliance of excessive violence and explosive set pieces are pretty antithetical to classic Tomb Raider appeal but they at least gave the game a sense of excitement and energy. The build up of Lara turning into a vicious killing machine almost akin to Spec Ops: The Line makes TR2013 a fun ride.

The only real, substantial improvement made to Rise and Shadow is that the puzzles are admittedly a LOT better, but a huge amount of the "gameplay" in Shadow especially is just wandering around and picking shit up, and the real ironic part is that you're constantly picking up resources to presumably help in combat against enemies and at 40% completion I fought/stealthed probably less than 30 enemies. The whole game just feels phoned in and anemic. The sequels are dull, bland, and lacking in identity. Rise has some of the most badly-written-but-expensively-produced cut-scenes I've seen in recent memory, and after about 7 hours of Shadow I couldn't even continue it. The game is so padded with nothing that it feels like a waste of time.

From what I have seen on youtube of the cutscenes I might agree with this. There is just something really off with the writing team that does these games. Like I said they need to let it rest and reboot later with a better team.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spider-Man is huge. I see peopleon my Twitter timeline who barely ever talk about gaming share screens and reactions. It's been since GTAV I saw that happening. (Not saying it'll be as huge as GTA, it just stood out to me)

This! I haven't seen so many people talking about a game, sharing pics on social media sites etc like I have seen for Spider-Man. The likes and retweet counts are insane lol

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Eidos Montreal are doing Guardians of the Galaxy next and Crystal Dynamics are doing Avengers so I'm not sure who would even do another Tomb Raider for quite some time.
Leave it SE to throw money away. Rise has performed almost on par with Final Fantasy XV even after the exclusivity bullshit, the series deserves time and respect and yet you ship it out without hype in the middle of a bloodbath.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Making Rise of the Tomb Raider an Xbox timed exclusive was an incredibly short-sighted move that has likely done serious long-term damage to the brand.

Not sure about that. While I did completely forgo the PS4 version of ROTR for that slight towards me as a fan, I eventually got the PC version. It was mediocre and totally forgettable; I was excited about where the series could go after TR2013, but they turned it into a 'open world' collectathon. Coupled with the weak story, it did not help to rekindle any love I had for the franchise. This latest one seems more of the same - judging from reviews while it's well made it's nothing remarkable, and I think you need that to get people interested.

I can't speak for others but I have next to no interest in TR because it looks like a bloated mess.

I remember the first basically being Uncharted in a Metroidvania open world and I loved it.

Then they went with "bigger = better" for the sequel and seemingly this game and that's what kills it for me. Crafting, side quests, open world, skill points, collectibles etc. The game is trying to be everything at once.

I saw a review complain that this game is still giving you hints at the end and I had the exact same problem with Rise. How damn systems do you need to be in play at once.

Yes! Totally agree. I liked TR2013 because it leaned more towards The Last Of Us' more relaxed pacing and more open levels. I don't know why they went open world collectathon and full on action rpg game with the sequels.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm being honest I dont even view Shadow of the Tomb Raider as a "bomb"

I'd just peg it underwhelming

Mar 17, 2018
I'm really happy for everyone at Insomniac. Y'all deserve it.
They really do. The studio was starting to get bogged down a bit by the industry it seemed like. But I always thought they had some fun games to play even in the "Fuse" era. Ratchet games were mostly fun the coop one cool. But I think most people knew after Sunset they were just waiting to get something huge out there. Spider-Man was such a perfect fit.

They do need to do a Resistance trilogy remaster like Uncharted though. Those games in particular would fare really well with a nice remaster, especially 3.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would disagree. The TR2013 reboot, while having some apparent flaws, is significantly better than Rise and Shadow. While Rise and Shadow incorporate a lot of mechanics that sound appealing and add "depth" and longevity to the gameplay, all it really does in execution is just spread the gameplay incredibly thin across a much more poorly paced campaign, and this is knotted all up with way worse writing and a very bland Lara. The setup, and Lara herself, were much more fiery and memorable. The reliance of excessive violence and explosive set pieces are pretty antithetical to classic Tomb Raider appeal but they at least gave the game a sense of excitement and energy. The build up of Lara turning into a vicious killing machine almost akin to Spec Ops: The Line makes TR2013 a fun ride.

The only real, substantial improvement made to Rise and Shadow is that the puzzles are admittedly a LOT better, but a huge amount of the "gameplay" in Shadow especially is just wandering around and picking shit up, and the real ironic part is that you're constantly picking up resources to presumably help in combat against enemies and at 40% completion I fought/stealthed probably less than 30 enemies. The whole game just feels phoned in and anemic. The sequels are dull, bland, and lacking in identity. Rise has some of the most badly-written-but-expensively-produced cut-scenes I've seen in recent memory, and after about 7 hours of Shadow I couldn't even continue it. The game is so padded with nothing that it feels like a waste of time.

Got damn. You pretty much captured my thoughts on the nu-TR games perfectly. Even though im still trudging through shadow since it feels like theres not much story content.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I'm being honest I dont even view Shadow of the Tomb Raider as a "bomb"

I'd just peg it underwhelming

You likely know more since you have US numbers, but yea, I'd say your assessment is fair. It'll need to do pretty well given its budget though.

Keep in mind that this game had a development budget of $75-$100 million and an additional marketing budget of $35 million, so they need to be bringing in a lot of money to make that be worthwhile.

Özgür

Nov 24, 2017
Ekran_Resmi_2018_09_17_09_53_31.png

im still behind my prediction

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're looking at the potential 2018 sales champion, depending on how RDR2 does or does not catch fire.

I'm surprised no one has responded to your post. Smash will absolutely not be the sales champion for 2018. Not even close. It won't beat Spider-Man, Call of Duty, or Red Dead Redemption II. I'm not confident it will beat God of War, Battlefield V, or Far Cry 5 either.

Last edited:

danGlokta

Nov 1, 2017
Lol you cant just handwave install base away. Of course install base has a lot to do with sales of games lol.

Far out, everything just has to be about talking up Spiderman and shitting on Xbox and Xbox related games with some of you lol.

While you can't completely handwave install base away, it's also not as cut and dried as you make it seem. Heck many Switch titles are selling better than on PS4 or PC with higher install bases. I also remember reading that Titanfall 2 did better on XB1 than on PS4 at least on some regions. It also happened a few times last gen that some games would sell better on PS3 than on XB360 in the USA and UK where XBOX had the advantage in install base.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with TR is the ASP .
The first one sold a lot of copies on the cheap so you want part 2 to have a better ASP .
Part 2 sold less and they still had to slash the game price early and it look like it will be that way for part 3 also .
Better to sell small amount at a high price than fair amount at a low price since these games not cheap .

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You likely know more since you have US numbers, but yea, I'd say your assessment is fair. It'll need to do pretty well given its budget though.

US isnt really any better.

But overall the game is seeing growth from Rise. You factor in retail sales being marginally up and also digital is stronger now than when Rise launched. So I mean, it is a better position for Tomb Raider the brand and SE to be in then last time around.

It's just that, these numbers still aren't great. Especially for a major AAA game, one that SE believes had a lot of brand power. Given also it launched on PS4 this time around you would hope to see significant growth over Rise, not just a bit of a lift.

So yeah, it's not a bomb per se. But it's also far from a home run

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
There are few factors that made me less surprised about how Shadow performed.

First and most important is one of the worst marketing campaigns for AAA game, with behind the closed doors events and terrible E3 trailer/footage. Compared to huge S-M marketing by Sony, Shadow's was basically nonexistent. I never saw ppl talking so much on social media about S-M game, even months before it was released.

2nd thing is very short period from the game reveal to release of the game. Many were expecting short but big marketing campaign in that period and SE/EM did almost nothing to promote the game.

Spider-Man is huge, obviously. It's made by great developers, it's Sony exclusive and it had impressive marketing push. No one is surprised that it's doing so well.

Shadow on the other hand could have done better. But it was released just 3 days ago. Plus you can't compare physical sales today with 2015. Things change. There is nothing to compare S-M with.
I am still pretty sure that Shadow will do fine in the long run, just like i said before it was released. GP is usually buying these games weeks or months later. And that's ok.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017

But overall the game is seeing growth from Rise. You factor in retail sales being marginally up and also digital is stronger now than when Rise launched. So I mean, it is a better position for Tomb Raider the brand and SE to be in then last time around.

It's just that, these numbers still aren't great. Especially for a major AAA game, one that SE believes had a lot of brand power. Given also it launched on PS4 this time around you would hope to see significant growth over Rise, not just a bit of a lift.

Benji, do you think SoTR is going to have legs or you think it'll be forgotten as massive multiplats like RDR2 and CoD releases?

Oct 28, 2017
Lol you cant just handwave install base away. Of course install base has a lot to do with sales of games lol.

Far out, everything just has to be about talking up Spiderman and shitting on Xbox and Xbox related games with some of you lol.
Yes I can because at some point install base mean nothing if there is very little interest in the title.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Thing is, it's showing some slight growth versus the previous titles launch which was on just the Microsoft platforms, but that should almost be a given since the PS4 install base (the largest out there) is now included from the get go. Presumably Microsoft paid for exclusivity last time in some form, be it via marketing or other types of funding etc, so the question in terms of success or margins, is whether the growth with Shadow is able to offset that difference this time around.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Benji, do you think SoTR is going to have legs or you think it'll be forgotten as massive multiplats like RDR2 and CoD releases?

Both Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise sold a lot of their copies for steep discounted prices far after launch. Given the upcoming slate of titles I'd expect the same for Shadow.

Thing is these newer Tomb Raider games are very leggy, both of them. It's just going to happen at a much lower price tag.

Thing is, it's showing some slight growth versus the previous titles launch which was on just the Microsoft platforms, but that should almost be a given since the PS4 install base (the largest out there) is now included from the get go. Presumably Microsoft paid for exclusivity last time in some form, be it via marketing or other types of funding etc, so the question in terms of success or margins, is whether the growth with Shadow is able to offset that difference this time around.

Yeah I dont disagree with any of that. It's not a great performance at all really, but one I do think they'll eventually break even or turn a small profit on. That said you dont fund major AAA games to just break even. I suspect this is the last Tomb Raider we see for a long time

Oct 30, 2017
Tomb Raider (ALL) - 185,000

Rise of the Tomb Raider (ALL) - 42,000

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 36,000
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox 360) - 6,000

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (ALL) - 52,000

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PlayStation 4) - 33,000
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 19,000
This is the lunch numbers on PS3 and 360 for TR 2013 right?

The hype was unbelievably BIG for the 2013 game... so sad the numb declined for the two sequels.

Well, another Reboot after some break I guess is in order.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I may be biased but it doesn't feel worse than most open world or action/adventure games out there. But yeah, the stories could be better.
I think the big issue is the characters, Uncharted games or the Indy movies don't have great stories, they get the job done sure, but they aren't really anything complex or even all that interesting (though I really like Avery's story in Uncharted 4), the great characters are why people care. Uncharted without Drake and co wouldn't be anywhere near as loved if not for them imo, sure the action is important too, very much so even, but a really likeable character or cast goes a real long way in these games long term. The reboot does pretty much the opposite for me as I hate pretty much every character at this point.
The gameplay is only fine imo too, was good in 2013, but hasn't really moved on much.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

In the case of Europe you guys all forget Fifa 19 which will sell with this years version even more than 18(24 Million) did and this one comes already in 1 week with the "Play it 3 days earlier" Bonus.
CoD 2 weeks after that if im right and 2 weeks after that RDR2 - There won't be much space for anything Multiplat between them for the remaining months of the year.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
In the case of Europe you guys all forget Fifa 19 which will sell with this years version even more than 18(24 Million) did and this one comes already in 1 week with the "Play it 3 days earlier" Bonus.
CoD 2 weeks after that if im right and 2 weeks after that RDR2 - There won't be much space for anything Multiplat between them for the remaining months of the year.

Oh right I forgot about FIFA, that's going to destroy everything in europe lol

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
honestly next game they should sign the exclusive marketing with sony. Sony this gen is on another level when it comes to marketing , from monster hunter to spiderman to god of war to destiny2 they have been on point this year. MS dropped the ball by their poor marketing for this title.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
TBF, God of War had much better than great legs. I knew Spidey would do very well, but it's just taking the piss already outselling GoW (In the UK) in just a week and a bit.

Yeah god of war has more than 3x its opening week
Incredible legs but spidey is gonna be unreal with bundling the holidays comings
500k before year ends is easily in play

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I assume Xbox has the marketing for Shadow in the UK as all the adverts I've seen end with Xbox and there's been a lot of them. That the exclusivity deal of the previous game has done shit all for the sales split.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so a question ,,will sony choose spider man for holiday bundles or god of war?

Could be wrong, but my guess is Spider-Man. It has a wider general appeal to draw in more casuals and non typical gamers, plus in terms of branding and mindshare victories versus their competitors, it's an easy win. This Marvel universe is the cultural phenomenon of the decade, and for Sony to be (for the time being with Marvel as a whole) exclusively associated with it, and with what is one of the biggest superhero IP's of all, has to be a massive PR and branding boost in and of itself.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I assume Xbox has the marketing for Shadow in the UK as all the adverts I've seen end with Xbox and there's been a lot of them. That the exclusivity deal of the previous game has done shit all for the sales split.
MS has the exclusive marketing for shadow everywhere . i m sure they do better marketing wise in uk and US and nonexistant in ROTW. I havent seen a single SOTR ads while i have seen many ads for spiderman .