• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Mario Kart 60fps ?
And isn't COD also 60fps ?

No co-incidence the best selling games are 60fps. It might not be everything but it surely matters.

Cherry pick two games to make your point? The majority of best selling games on console aren't 60 fps, btw.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Crash is a strange IP. The XB1 sku has now outsold the Switch sku in the first week for both a 2D platformer and a Kart racer lol (UK only, until we learn more, of course)

nintendo only players are still angry about Crash taking the pissed at nintendo in the original crash bandicoot ads. /S

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're both fun, and excel in different areas. The teamplay mechanic in Team Sonic is very fun and unmatched in any kart racer. I honestly wish CTR would straight up copy it. Also it's 60fps.

CTR is the overall better package: more content, characters and varied tracks.
Cool. Shame that a PS1 game has more content than a current gen game.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Cherry pick two games to make your point? The majority of best selling games on console aren't 60 fps, btw.

The biggest games in most MP genres are 60. Yea its mostly a PC thing , but saying people don't notice or care for 60fps is not true.
Theres plenty of other ones too like arent sports games like FIFA , NBA all 60 fps ?

GTA5 is not 60fps (on console) and is the best selling game of all time :P

Hey its the best selling only with the PC version tho :P

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Shame that a PS1 game has more content than a current gen game.
That's not exactly fair. Crash Nitro Fueled basically remade Crash Team Racing and Crash Nitro Kart, so two games in one, along with all of the characters and content that entailed (sans the story mode of CNK). Meanwhile Sonic Team Racing is an entirely new game.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
People here really acting like the general consumer wont buy a great game based on a popular IP because of the fps.

lol

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Crash again No.1???

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it-gif-6.gif

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest games in most MP genres are 60. Yea its mostly a PC thing , but saying people don't notice or care for 60fps is not true.

Hey its the best selling only with the PC version tho :P
People notice and care of course. Just not a majority of them. Why do you think the majority of developers in the industry prioritize visuals on consoles over framerate?

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
People notice and care of course. Just not a majority of them. Why do you think the majority of developers in the industry prioritize visuals on consoles over framerate?

Can you name some multiplayer games that is the biggest in its genre and not 60 fps ?
People don't care for framerate in cinematic Single player games , because visuals and story is more important.

On Console the biggest games in these genres are 60 fps.
Sports games
Racing games
Kart racers
Fighting games
FPS

ofc there are exceptions , and i think people dont care much about framerate in co-op games or mmos too. But even casual gamers definitely notice the "smoother" gameplay of 60 fps , even if they don't know the technicalities behind it.

Also if people notice the person i quoted , they said 99% of gamers don't notice. Sure they might be exaggerating. But am sure a lot of people do and care about it.

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think the research we once saw by Insomniac Games about frame rate is a bit misleading: people say they don't care about frame rate, but obviously they care about gameplay. The question, more than the frame rate, for people is: "how fluid and fun is the gameplay." But 60 fps can help make the gameplay feel better, and I feel that could help games sell better as a result. So, people don't recognise the 60 fps as being 60 fps per se, but they could very well notice the improved smoothness of 60 fps titles, hence why they are popular.

On the other hand, 30 fps can be amazing and fluid, and plenty of huge sellers are 30 fps. In the end, 30 vs. 60 is not too major a feature for a title being a big seller imo. It's just one of the many puzzle pieces.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
The CTR remake is certifiably great. I've had a blast with the hour or two I've played of it. The adventure mode is too much fun. Anyone remotely interested should check it out!

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I think the research we once saw by Insomniac Games about frame rate is a bit misleading: people say they don't care about frame rate, but obviously they care about gameplay. The question, more than the frame rate, for people is: "how fluid and fun is the gameplay." But 60 fps can help making the gameplay feel better, and I feel that could help games sell better as a result. So, people don't recognise the 60 fps as being 60 fps per se, but they could very well notice the improved smoothness of 60 fps titles, hence why they are popular.

On the other hand, 30 fps can be amazing and fluid, and plenty of huge sellers are 30 fps. In the end, 30 vs. 60 is not too major a feature for a title being a big seller imo. It's just one of the many puzzle pieces.

Yea , This is basically my point. Not saying casual gamers are going to riot over 30 fps. But if your competitor is putting a 60 fps game even casual gamers can "feel" its better in terms of gameplay.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not exactly fair. Crash Nitro Fueled basically remade Crash Team Racing and Crash Nitro Kart, so two games in one, along with all of the characters and content that entailed (sans the story mode of CNK). Meanwhile Sonic Team Racing is an entirely new game.
I mea it's not just a remake of the first game. It also includes all tracks/characters from the PS2 game Nitro Kart and from the datamine, each month will have special Grand Prix's which include a new track and characters.
Nitro Fueled doesn't just have the content of the original CTR. It has 14 more tracks and 11 more characters from Crash Nitro Kart.
I see, didn't know that. I assumed the remake was just that of the original CTR (I've never actually played any Crash games before).

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I think the research we once saw by Insomniac Games about frame rate is a bit misleading: people say they don't care about frame rate, but obviously they care about gameplay. The question, more than the frame rate, for people is: "how fluid and fun is the gameplay." But 60 fps can help making the gameplay feel better, and I feel that could help games sell better as a result. So, people don't recognise the 60 fps as being 60 fps per se, but they could very well notice the improved smoothness of 60 fps titles, hence why they are popular.

And in this case, Beenox have done an incredible job because it runs smooth, responsive and fast at 30 - everyone in the OT that had reservations about the framerate has said they didn't even notice. I bought TSR on PC and can't really feel the difference between it and CTR when I normally can see the 30/60 gap. Not enough for some people though, anything less than 60 and they won't even give it a chance.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
And in this case, Beenox have done an incredible job because it runs smooth, responsive and fast at 30 - everyone in the OT that had reservations about the framerate has said they didn't even notice. I bought TSR on PC and can't really feel the difference between it and CTR when I normally can see the 30/60 gap. Not enough for some people though, anything less than 60 and they won't even give it a chance.
I agree. CTR plays amazingly despite being 30 fps. As I mentioned, it takes more than just the refresh rate to make a smooth and fun game.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty bad split by Switch, I thought it will be 2nd place comfortably
Could be the case with lifetime sales.
As usual people overemphasize the importance of first week sales with a casual title that will likely sell for the next two years.

Week 1 sales i usually purchases are usually for the most hardcore fans and users, that will likely go for the best version available to them.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna pick up my copy today, never played Nitro Kart, so there'll be plenty new stuff to play for me. This gonna be good!
The characters are a mixed bag, though I love Nash the cyber shark and Norm the mime.

The tracks are excellent. Thunderstruck and Electron Avenue are my faves.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Can you name some multiplayer games that is the biggest in its genre and not 60 fps ?
People don't care for framerate in cinematic Single player games , because visuals and story is more important.

On Console the biggest games in these genres are 60 fps.
Sports games
Racing games
Kart racers
Fighting games
FPS

ofc there are exceptions , and i think people dont care much about framerate in co-op games or mmos too. But even casual gamers definitely notice the "smoother" gameplay of 60 fps , even if they don't know the technicalities behind it.

Also if people notice the person i quoted , they said 99% of gamers don't notice. Sure they might be exaggerating. But am sure a lot of people do and care about it.
Is forza 7/ horizon 4 60FPS on OG Xbox1 or Xbox one s?

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think UK is a good representative of Switch splits for third party titles. Mortal Kombat 11 had an incredibly poor split for the Switch in the UK, but in the US it was way better.

Did we get the US splits for MK11? I know in May it seemed like that split widened based on the platform charts in NPD. But I never saw any numbers for either month.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
B-But I thought Crash was just a nostalgia fad from the 90s and was always bad?!

Well deserved

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
It sucks that we have to wait til mid-end of July to find out the US sales factor in comparison.

But yea, well deserved for a great remake!