• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better then AC? Thought that did great?

I'm sure it did, especially when you consider the extra revenue every digital copy equates to, plus premium early access editions...these publishers aren't struggling at all and these franchises are probably not under any threat from physical sales dropping as they have been.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
Isn't Odyssey the best selling AC game of this gen? After the disaster that was Unity and the mild numbers of Syndicate then Origins came and re-ignited interest in the franchise.

Another thing is that FC5 introduced co-op so you have a brand new audience that will get into it much more than the single-player only experience.

Origins sold better than Syndicate but worse than Unity, which btw did not do too great when compared to previous last gen entries

bhWo4Bp.jpg

No idea About Odyssey, I heard it sold better than Origins, but yeah that's still nothing to write home about

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
The blowback from last years Battlefront 2 mess was going to hit them so I'm sure EA didn't forecast V to perform really well.

They really need to do better next year. They just keep fucking up and always find themselves in the middle of bad pr.
God imagine them without the cash cow that is fifa !

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I legitimately wasn't aware this had launched, and I've been actively shopping for games all weekend.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
This game should have just been released in March with firestorm and all the glitches worked out. Could have dominated the Spring/Summer, no competition in sight as far as FPS multiplayer goes.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a big fan of BF1, this felt like an expansion to me. they need to take 3 years like CoD and then some. Their war stories are absoluletly abysmal for an AAA game. No developer with any self respect should be putting out campaigns like that. And I dont think they want to.

I really hope DICE hires some new designers to help figure out how to create an AAA campaign. It doesnt need to be 20 hours long. Titanfall 2 has proven that a 6 hour campaign can be just as entertaining as a 12 hour campaign. They have a great engine, incredibly talented artists and engineers, all they need is some designers who can produce a tightly crafted war campaign. And then give them 3-4 years to figure it out.

I am baffled that despite current gen tech that allows them to put 64 players on a server on consoles, they just cant create a proper world war 2 invasion with dozens of enemies and NPCs on screen at once. How we didnt get a Normandy invasion level is beyond me. at least CoD tried to do it. It wasnt anything special, but at least they tried. If the weak CPUs are a bottleneck then they shouldnt be a problem next gen. Lets focus on that next gen. If next gen is in 2020, take an extra year off to learn the new tech and see what you can do with it. Create a campaign full of setpieces because thats what a world war 2 game should be. Or any war game for that matter. Have a small, quiet level here and there,but the meat of the campaign should be you charging enemy fortifications with dozens of NPCs and fighting hundreds of enemies.

no one wants to play a war game with one soldier skiiing and shooting 300 enemies on her own. thats something we saw in PS2 Medal of Honor games.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, aren't UK sales threads kinda pointless if real sales just aren't there in general?

Don't mean to make that sound like I was thread whining

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
What does decline of BF series mean for the future of DICE,if anything? I hope they are safe.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like there was hardly any hype for it in comparison to previous BF titles. Just sort of came and went already.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like EA gave up on a big marketing campaign for BFV after it tripped out of the starting blocks. It's like they got gun shy.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Origins sold better than Syndicate but worse than Unity, which btw did not do too great when compared to previous last gen entries

bhWo4Bp.jpg

No idea About Odyssey, I heard it sold better than Origins, but yeah that's still nothing to write home about
These are VGhartz numbers, so most definitely wrong.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think EA is chasing the long tail with BFV. Unless they have another Battle game coming out next year, in which case I have no idea what their strategy is.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Looks to me like everything is down in the wake of RDR2. -63% for BFV seems fairly average.

Nirolak any special reason why you decided to lead with BF instead of Hitman? -90% is like woah.

edit: oh i see. it was added later to the OP.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a big fan of BF1, this felt like an expansion to me. they need to take 3 years like CoD and then some. Their war stories are absoluletly abysmal for an AAA game. No developer with any self respect should be putting out campaigns like that. And I dont think they want to.

I really hope DICE hires some new designers to help figure out how to create an AAA campaign. It doesnt need to be 20 hours long. Titanfall 2 has proven that a 6 hour campaign can be just as entertaining as a 12 hour campaign. They have a great engine, incredibly talented artists and engineers, all they need is some designers who can produce a tightly crafted war campaign. And then give them 3-4 years to figure it out.

I am baffled that despite current gen tech that allows them to put 64 players on a server on consoles, they just cant create a proper world war 2 invasion with dozens of enemies and NPCs on screen at once. How we didnt get a Normandy invasion level is beyond me. at least CoD tried to do it. It wasnt anything special, but at least they tried. If the weak CPUs are a bottleneck then they shouldnt be a problem next gen. Lets focus on that next gen. If next gen is in 2020, take an extra year off to learn the new tech and see what you can do with it. Create a campaign full of setpieces because thats what a world war 2 game should be. Or any war game for that matter. Have a small, quiet level here and there,but the meat of the campaign should be you charging enemy fortifications with dozens of NPCs and fighting hundreds of enemies.

no one wants to play a war game with one soldier skiiing and shooting 300 enemies on her own. thats something we saw in PS2 Medal of Honor games.
CoD doesn't even do campaign anymore. The only reason that BF still has it is that it's good PR. People don't care about a BF campaign, not the player, not the developer, just a few guys who work on marketing.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...truggles-as-black-friday-transforms-uk-charts

Edit:

Since some people were asking, some other declines this year:

Call of Duty: Down 50% versus WW2, down 59% versus BLOPS3
Fallout 76: Down 82.4% from Fallout 4
Pokemon: Down 60% versus Sun/Moon, down 5% versus X/Y
Hitman 2: Down 90%
Soul Calibur 6: Down 55%
AC: Odyssey: Down 26%

And a game that went up:

Red Dead 2: Up 100% from RDR1, down 73% from GTA V

Edit 2:

Retail sales history:
FH4 was up on FH3 too.

Also worth remembering this is physical only. Not that digital is going to make up some of those percentage declines!

Oct 27, 2017
This just makes me wish digital was included. I expect BFV to have much longer legs than 1 and for it to see an increase in desirability once its BR releases. I'm anticipating them supporting it for at least a year with content monthly. Who knows tho

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It seems to me that stores are carrying fewer video games. Supermarkets definitely have stopped pushing gaming as pricing has become non-competitive with digital.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I've only glanced at this game on occasion, it seems like it should have been delayed until it at least had the Battle Royale mode ready to go at launch. While it certainly looks far from a rush job (Hell, I think it looks bloody brilliant, just not for me), the dev team must have been under a lot of pressure to release this year, and that can have a knock-on effect on the end product.

Next major Battlefield game needs to have a longer development time, and a clear idea for art direction, campaign and online in order to grab the audience's interest. The World War 1 setting was a great idea, but World War 2 is something gamers have gotten used to.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really hope DICE hires some new designers to help figure out how to create an AAA campaign. It doesnt need to be 20 hours long. Titanfall 2 has proven that a 6 hour campaign can be just as entertaining as a 12 hour campaign.

Titanfall 2 was a financial failure that forced Respawn to sell to EA. People really need to stop bringing it up as some kind of shining example for all other AAA games to follow just because it got a lot of ResetEra Brownie Points™

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think this is that bad. Obviously not great, but the game can grow.

Battlefield 4 grew to have a very healthy online community, but it took a while. BF1 started strong, but completely nosedived in concurrent users.

BFV seems to have a lot stronger gameplay/core experience, and that is likely to win over people. It really depends on how they plan to advertise and expand with the GAAS model

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
At retail being key words. Although I'm sure it got some kind of hit since this same situation didn't really stop RDR2 from selling well at retail.

That being said, I have it and I'm loving it. The patch next Tuesday should help too.

Nov 1, 2017
The debacle with Battlefront II has cast a long shadow which EA will have to do it's best to overcome. Faith in them and their games is pretty low, that played a part in these sales. Doubling down on the past practices will only further condemn them.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...truggles-as-black-friday-transforms-uk-charts

Edit:

Since some people were asking, some other declines this year:

Call of Duty: Down 50% versus WW2, down 59% versus BLOPS3
Fallout 76: Down 82.4% from Fallout 4
Pokemon: Down 60% versus Sun/Moon, down 5% versus X/Y
Hitman 2: Down 90%
Soul Calibur 6: Down 55%
AC: Odyssey: Down 26%

And a game that went up:

Red Dead 2: Up 100% from RDR1, down 73% from GTA V

Edit 2:

Retail sales history:
I'm not seeing the other franchise declines in your link. Is there a different source?

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
It did. The UK retail is a mess right now and doesn't really reflect worldwide trends in any way
Uk gaming retail is a mess yes. We only have one large game store now in game, supermarkets aren't as big into entertainment anymore so it's harder to find games in store. It's all very quirky going online and digital.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These UK sales threads are always so useless. Nearly every game shows sharp declines, people end up talking about how they are all bombs, and a few weeks later you got a bunch of people eating crow.

You're better off pulling sales numbers out of a hat than using these numbers to come to any reasonable conclusion about anything.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Hope people dont sleep on BFV, it's the real deal. Feels so much better than BF1, my friends and I are all enjoying it so much more than BF4 and BF1. It's just phenomenal, and I can't wait for more content already.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like anyone else with a brain, I agree that the game should have been delayed until March. Every AAA game since RDR2 seems to have underperformed, and BFV was not gonna do any good when the marketing dropped the ball (to most people the game still seems like a WW2 reskin of BF1, which is almost the exact opposite of what it is).

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Hope people dont sleep on BFV, it's the real deal. Feels so much better than BF1, my friends and I are all enjoying it so much more than BF4 and BF1. It's just phenomenal, and I can't wait for more content already.
Definitely feels like this game is way better than the last 2 or 3 BF games. Sure, there is a lot of stuff that could be improved on, but overall I think this game is a vast improvement. The buzz around the launch of this game has seemed to be pretty silent for whatever reason.

I feel like the internet has become even more toxic over the past few years making it hard for anything to be enjoyed because the middle ground is all but gone. People are so divided that the game is either the best thing ever (and doesn't sell), or everyone hates the game (that had either sold like hotcakes or is selling). Definitely feels like expectations, for everything, not just BFV or games in general, have been blown out of proportion due to the relative availability of the internet to everyone, everywhere. At least in 2002 with Battlefield 1942, people didn't have internet wherever and whenever they wanted. Generally videos were a whole to-do to upload. Also, you had to wait to post something on the internet, not where you could have a hot take and post it at a person's whim.

Are we expecting Dice to be so much different than what they have done in their past? Games have come out broken time and time again, and slowly massage them into a more polished game as time goes on from the release date. I also think Dice is forced to chase the ghost that is CoD, even while CoD is not the name it once was. They tried to put a single player in to match up with CoD years ago into BF games, that had middling success. They tried to make unlockable, that had middling success. Tried faster paced gameplay, I think has had success, but some people are not happy with that. I think Dice has improved, but also, I think there has been crazy pressure from EA to chase the CoD ghost. Look how EA completely laid itself out to try to usurp CoD with the Medal of Honor reboot last gen and completely missed the target.

Last edited: