• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Has Nintendo made any statements or taking any action regarding this issue? Cause deliberately knowing about this or not, that's a high percentage you can't blindfold that.

Good thing they're suing, seems highly valid.

Oct 25, 2017
Having just read through what the actual lawsuit entails, Since they're trying to prove that Nintendo purposefully made Joycons have drift via programmed obsolescence so you can buy more joycons, I feel like they're gonna lose against Nintendo with that case.

Proving they are unwilling to claim responsibility for and are stubborn to change a design is one thing, they can't prove that Nintendo planned all of this.

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Nintendo can get fucked. It still boils my piss that they offered free repairs to US customers, but still told european ones to get fucked basically.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
65% is huge. For once I'm lucky with my joycons, but this is inacceptable, hopefully this'll lead to something concrete.
Good. Nintendo can get fucked. It still boils my piss that they offered free repairs to US customers, but still told european ones to get fucked basically.
My brother just got new Joycons for free after sending them to Nintendo a few months ago, drifting issue of course. (France)

Oct 25, 2017
65% is huge. For once I'm lucky with my joycons, but this is inacceptable, hopefully this'll lead to something concrete.
Again. It's not 65% of all joycons are failing. It's that of the sample size of drifting joycons taken by the UFC (5000+ submitted), 65% of the then did so in less than a year. The actual percentage of joycon failure out of sold joycons is not mentioned.

Last edited:

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Good, hopefully this helps force Nintendo to sort out the issue. I've been lucky enough not to have drift in any of my controllers but fear the day when one of them does.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
if this gives us better joycons, i'm all for it.

the main reason i stopped using the joycons for everything was these horror stories. i never even opened the lite i got because of that.

thankfully, 99% of the games are playable with Pro controllers.

Oct 25, 2017
Like what I don't get is how do you prove that the Joycons were made to fail because of the circuit board. You'd think this would be something that people would see like, real early.

"The UFC also found what they call "programmed obsolescence of the circuit board." It's this second part that's drawing all the attention, as UFC is basically saying that Joy-Con drift is part of Nintendo's plan for the Switch, and they've manufactured Joy-Con in such a way to force consumers to purchase multiple sets of replacement Joy-Con down the road."

Like the bulk of the lawsuit isn't even really about the sticks themselves.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
This is why nobody should never, ever buy a Switch Lite.
Who on earth wants to gamble with those odds?
Especially with the drift problem.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Fucking finally. Nintendo is absolute scum.

Sent both of my joycons for repair in december last year, which was less than a year after I got my switch. Left one already started drifting again.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having just read through what the actual lawsuit entails, Since they're trying to prove that Nintendo purposefully made Joycons have drift via programmed obsolescence so you can buy more joycons, I feel like they're gonna lose against Nintendo with that case.

Proving they are unwilling to claim responsibility for and are stubborn to change a design is one thing, they can't prove that Nintendo planned all of this.
Yeah, it absolutely bothers me that I can't trust my Switch's JoyCons and that there'll likely come a time in the far, far future when it's useless as a portable machine, but to prove what they're trying to prove here sounds like an extremely tough sell.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good. I don't know if they'll win over Nintendo's gargantuan lawyers, but these Joycon shenanigans are INEXCUSABLE.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I had to send my joycons in twice and they still drift and unfortunately the warranty ran out. Also the LEDs my right one don't even light up now. This is one of the weakest designed controllers by Nintendo and actually makes using the Switch not fun.

Just offer the free repairs already. I'm certainly not buying another pair until that happens.

Wait wait wait!

Nintendo is not offering out of warranty free repairs outside of the US? Because in the US, you can definitely ship your joycons for repairs, no questions asked.

And I bought 2 pairs, one at launch and one 4 years later. Both have drift despite very light usage. Got one repaired, going to send the next pair now.

Super annoying and It's a real sleaze-ball move from Nintendo to let people buy replacements while they cash in on their fat profit margins.

Going to add this to my Nintendo shit list (alongside their hypocritical lies about emulation and the Fire Emblem gacha game).

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Good. It only took few weeks - a month to notice drift issues after I got both joycons from the repair center. And of course now I would have to pay for the 2nd repair, since the warranty has ended.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that might ultimately fuck over consumers is that they're pushing their case on a fairly recent planned obsolescence law that so far has only produced settlements out of court.

What seems risky here is that planned obsolescence requires an intent to push consumers to buy new products. I honestly believe Nintendo was more negligent than anything else, that selling more joycons is more a side effect than an initial intent.

I guess my point is that I'm 100% for putting pressure on them because the joycon situation is frankly unacceptable, but that this should be done regardless of intent, what matters is the fact that after 3 years, it still sucks, and Nintendo haven't done anything about it. Their motives for doing so are entirely immaterial IMO.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

When Nintendo shipped the first joycons, sure they were probably unpurposefully broken and there was no clear nefarious evil plan to fuck people over.

When Nintendo had the problem reported, investigated it, and found the cause....

...and THEN decided "let's not fix it", that is basically the corporate equivalent of saying: "Nah fuck it, It would cost us tons of money to fix the issue. Let's make our customers pay for new pairs! Not only does it cost us nothing, we actually make money from the obsolescence."

Nintendo will lose this one. I don't see how the don't.

How often does the UFC lose in court, anyways?

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even mad that all my launch JoyCons have drift issues, the problem is that Nintendo refuses to fix it properly, even after kinda acknowledging the issues...

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Wait wait wait!

Nintendo is not offering out of warranty free repairs outside of the US? Because in the US, you can definitely ship your joycons for repairs, no questions asked
At least in my experience (in Finland), you have to pay when the warranty has expired. I checked the email and the estimated """repair""" cost is 45 euros. Of course there is the option to ask advice from Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority, but that takes time and energy, which I don't have. Easier to suck up the loss, avoid buying new joycons and overall prefer to play multiplatform games on other consoles/PC.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo will lose this one. I don't see how the don't.

How often does the UFC lose in court, anyways?

The intent is to prove that they planned the obsolescence from the start, not that Nintendo refuses to majorly change the design flaw that could lead to drifting.

And I'm not confident that these sort of lawsuits can win the case like that after Nintendo won the refund case in Germany.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
If this drifting problem wouldn't exist i would love them. They are really comfortable to use and i'm impressed by the tech inside them for how small they are. I have been surprised many times in how Nintendo can use them for so many different tasks, it's amazing... if the drift wouldn't be. It totally destroys any joy i had with them. I have gone through 3 pairs before i bought a cheap third party controller and a tablet stand to keep being able to play almost anywhere. I have no problem if they get taken to court for this and i hope they lose. Really they need to fix this. It might be a hard problem to fix but that's their problem. They should have noticed the high failure rate

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
At least in my experience (in Finland), you have to pay when the warranty has expired. I checked the email and the estimated """repair""" cost is 45 euros. Of course there is the option to ask advice from Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority, but that takes time and energy, which I don't have. Easier to suck up the loss, avoid buying new joycons and overall prefer to play multiplatform games on other consoles/PC.

Wow. what a scam. Apple replaces their shitty 2015-2019 butterfly keyboards regardless of warranty not only in the US but in the rest of the world as well: https://support.apple.com/fr-fr/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Nintendo has 0 excuses.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
2 pairs of Joycons, both with drift AND bluetooh issue.

In fact, I sent last week my joycons to the official repair service and yesterday they told me the right joycon had 3 factory issues: defective rail, defective bluetooth motherboard and, of course, defective stick. Still, since it's out of warranty I've had to pay 38 euros.

I hope they drag them to the ground.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I had two sets get drift before I quit and bought knock offs. Best purchasing decision I ever made. My knock offs were 40 bucks less, more comfortable to hold, and have motion control and rumble.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
They deserve everything bad that can happen from such a colossal failure they refuse to permanently fix. Crappy joystick and one if not the most uncomfortable controller they ever designed.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
could you tell me the brand if you remember

Amazon.com: NEXiLUX Motion Controllers Pair with a USB Type-C Charging Cable & Joy-Con Alternative Compatible with Nintendo Switch Black: Computers & Accessories

Buy NEXiLUX Motion Controllers Pair with a USB Type-C Charging Cable & Joy-Con Alternative Compatible with Nintendo Switch Black: Presentation Pointers - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Here you go!

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I think UFC Que Choisir is using the wrong approach. It's not as much a planned obsolescence issue as it's a core design issue. Nintendo of Europe should handle it better though by offering free repairs/replacements.

If they stick with the planned obsolescence angle I'm afraid they'll lose as it's very complicated to prove that the obsolescence was planned at the design stages

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Good. Fuck Nintendo for knowingly selling a faulty product. They are not exactly cheap either.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Seems more like shitty or cheap engineering than planned obsolescence especially after <1 year. I remember also having issues with my GameCube and Wii controllers. Pretty sure I had drifting with my Wii nunchucks even.

Anecdotal but my joycons have been working fine though thankfully since I sent them in to repairs, which were free (that said I remember it wasn't free in some or all places outside the US so that's shitty).

Red

Oct 26, 2017
They deserve flak for this. Nintendo has been doing much right, but joycons have been an abysmal failure. I hate them. I can't believe how shoddy they are, especially for the price.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't it be planned obsolescence if they failed AFTER 12 months? As within the first 12 months they are under warranty? I always thought planned obsolescence was when goods were manufactured to fail within 2-3 years i.e once warranties have expired

Either way the joy con issue is a huge one and they are right to take Nintendo to task over it. Still can't believe there hasn't been a design change to stop the issue but they carry on like nothing is going on so the more attention that gets focused on it the better

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Eh I think UFC Que Choisir is using the wrong approach. It's not as much a planned obsolescence issue as it's a core design issue. Nintendo of Europe should handle it better though by offering free repairs/replacements.

If they stick with the planned obsolescence angle I'm afraid they'll lose as it's very complicated to prove that the obsolescence was planned at the design stages

Agree with this, I can't believe for a minute this is planned obsolescence, I'm amazed they have gone that route. It's a shoddy design / quality issue.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
They're really shitty quality build wise. I finally bought a new pair and I'm scared of removing then from the Switch body. A pity, as I used to play with split controllers and loved it.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Furakawa himself has directly addressed the drift problem some time ago, and still nothing.

I can't play my favorite Switch game (Smash) in handheld anymore, it's insane.

Last edited: