fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If this is how it plays out, we can thank the CMA. This is absolutely great for consumers.
This is a worse deal for consumers as it allows Ubisoft to monetize rights that Microsoft was previously extending through a free open license.

The net result will more likely be less consumer choice here.

Also the EU was shafted and embarassed by the cma
Got that backwards again buddy, the EU led here among regulatory bodies and also maintained the open and free license for their businesses and ultimately consumers. This just reaffirms that the UK still has zero influence over Europe.

Who ends up looking like clowns, again, is really the FTC for refusing to even begin any negotiation on concessions and after failing through the courts is only left with this CMA driven divestiture that's worse for Americans too.

Bansi

Banned
Jul 28, 2023
The important thing for them was to not rely on a pinky promise basically. This is an actual deal transferring some of MS's rights. If Ubisoft doesnt trigger new worries by CMA because of their potential market strength with a Ubisoft and ABK catalog ownership on the cloud (which actually can definitely still happen, FTC considered Ubisoft one of the big 4 publishers in the market alongside ABK, EA and Take Two), then theyll approve it because they dont need to follow Ubisoft closely.
I'd say it's very likely that MS was in communication with the CMA while striking the deal with Ubi. So it's rather implausible that the CMA will refuse approval. Though stupider things have happened, so we'll see.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
Ah, isn't it nice, for the customer, to not have everything at one place but to be forced to subscribe to numerous things before you get what you want? Like in movies and series.

It's not enough here in Germany that I'm subscribed to Prime Video, Netflix, Disney Plus, Paramount Plus and Joyn. No when I want to see the new Walking Dead Series I also have to be subscribed to Telekoms Magenta TV. Just incredible. fOr ThE cUsToMer.

I will never understand this and people being for this, never, ever, until I die, ever. It's always an absolute nightmare for me as a customer and I hate this shit so much.
Not that I care a thing about streaming but how exactly is this beneficial for the person who is on Xbox and has a Game Pass Ultimate subscription and is then forced to subscribe to Ubisoft + even tho Microsoft f'n owns Blizzard and their games?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, isn't it nice, for the customer, to not have everything at one place but to be forced to subscribe to numerous things before you get what you want? Like in movies and series.

It's not enough here in Germany that I'm subscribed to Prime Video, Netflix, Disney Plus, Paramount Plus and Joyn. No when I want to see the new Walking Dead Series I also have to be subscribed to Telekoms Magenta TV. Just incredible. fOr ThE cUsToMer.

I will never understand this and people being for this, never, ever, until I die, ever. It's always an absolute nightmare for me as a customer and I hate this shit so much.
Not that I care a thing about streaming but how exactly is this beneficial for the person who is on Xbox and has a Game Pass Ultimate subscription and is then forced to subscribe to Ubisoft + even tho Microsoft f'n owns Blizzard and their games?
Well in Germany, you're good. Cloud gaming companies including Microsoft have guaranteed access to ABK titles. Outside of EEA, we got screwed by the CMA.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Because it offers competition between Game pass and Ubisoft+

Bansi

Banned
Jul 28, 2023
This is a worse deal for consumers as it allows Ubisoft to monetize rights that Microsoft was previously extending through a free open license.

The net result will more likely be less consumer choice here.

Got that backwards again buddy, the EU led here among regulatory bodies and also maintained the open and free license for their businesses and ultimately consumers. This just reaffirms that the UK still has zero influence over Europe.

Who ends up looking like clowns, again, is really the FTC for refusing to even begin any negotiation on concessions and after failing through the courts is only left with this CMA driven divestiture that's worse for Americans too.
Yup. In the EU, all consumers and cloud companies get a free license to stream these games for 10 years. That's way better than what the CMA has wrangled out of MS. Ubisoft has a known history of being exploitative with monetization.

If cloud gaming actually becomes the norm, it would be very easy for Ubisoft to hamper competition by setting licensing conditions that make rivals uncompetitive and force players to subscribe to Ubisoft's streaming service.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'd say it's very likely that MS was in communication with the CMA while striking the deal with Ubi. So it's rather implausible that the CMA will refuse approval. Though stupider things have happened, so we'll see.
I am not sure CMA dictated their partner, as much as the dealings were on what MS were conceptually looking to offer.
Yup. In the EU, all consumers and cloud companies get a free license to stream these games for 10 years. That's way better than what the CMA has wrangled out of MS. Ubisoft has a known history of being exploitative with monetization.

If cloud gaming actually becomes the norm, it would be very easy for Ubisoft to hamper competition by setting licensing conditions that make rivals uncompetitive and force players to subscribe to Ubisoft's streaming service.
Wasnt the previous deal only applicable for BYOG services? Now Ubisoft can offer it to every business model in the cloud space.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, it's just a proposal at this point.

Bansi

Banned
Jul 28, 2023
I am not sure CMA dictated their partner, as much as the dealings were on what MS were conceptually looking to offer.

Wasnt the previous deal only applicable for BYOG services? Now Ubisoft can offer it to every business model in the cloud space.
No. BYOG is simply one of the options.

Here's the relevant part-

These licenses will ensure that gamers that have purchased one or more Activision games on a PC or console store, or that have subscribed to a multi-game subscription service that includes Activision games, have the right to stream those games with any cloud game streaming service of their choice and play them on any device using any operating system.

Last edited:

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Microsoft offered the following comprehensive licensing commitments, with a 10-year duration:
  • A free license to consumers in the EEA that would allow them to stream, via any cloud game streaming services of their choice, all current and future Activision Blizzard PC and console games for which they have a license.
  • A corresponding free license to cloud game streaming service providers to allow EEA-based gamers to stream any Activision Blizzard's PC and console games.

From the EC approval press release.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
When comparing this to the EEA deals I feel people glossing over the fact Ubisoft will hold the rights to ABK's current catalogue and future games for 15 years forever. It is a full divestiture of the rights not a temporary contract for X years.

Those contracts with the EU cloud providers will end and they might lose access to those titles on their service without paying up. Ubisoft will never lose access to all those ABK titles, short of selling the rights on.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
When comparing this to the EEA deals I feel people glossing over the fact Ubisoft will hold the rights to ABK's current catalogue and future games for 15 years forever. It is a full divestiture of the rights not a temporary contract for X years.

Those contracts with the EU cloud providers will end and they might lose access to those titles on their service without paying up. Ubisoft will never lose access to all those ABK titles, short of selling the rights on.
Ubisoft can revoke or raise licensing fees to other cloud providers at any time.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
In what way does this address any of the UK's concerns? From what I'm seeing Ubisoft+ is only on Windows and Xbox, the two platforms owned by Microsoft. Cloud streaming on Luna is apparently also available but that's US only, which wouldn't apply to UK's concerns. Playstation only has "Ubisoft+ Classics" which gives a very small number of games.

So it's still only on Microsoft's operating systems?? Not Mobile, Mac/Linux or Playstation? There's no way this actually helps their case

Ubisoft+ on Luna is available in the UK.

You don't even have to pay anything for it if you have Amazon Prime for purchased Ubisoft titles you have registered in Ubi's launcher.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Ubisoft can revoke or raise licensing fees to other cloud providers at any time.

My point was, Ignoring one's thoughts on immediate impact to users, the two deals are really comparable. One is a fixed term contract for rights and one is a sale of rights.

CMA's whole argument was that they don't want MS to have control of the nascent cloud market, they likely aren't concerned by Ubisoft at all.

Alexious

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Those are not contracts with 'EU' cloud providers. GeForce NOW is not an 'EU' cloud provider, and neither is Ubitus.
Also, the EU has obtained that EEA gamers can use any cloud provider of their choosing. I don't expect this will change.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
My point was, Ignoring one's thoughts on immediate impact to users, the two deals are really comparable. One is a fixed term contract for rights and one is a sale of rights.

CMA's whole argument was that they don't want MS to have control of the nascent cloud market, they likely aren't concerned by Ubisoft at all.
Except this actually gives more control to the already established cloud providers of which Microsoft is one since the cost to license will not be cheap.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The mention of Ubisoft+ Classics specifically for PlayStation is still throwing me for a loop. It's a backlog service that doesn't have streaming. The tweet even says "We'll also be licensing the games to a range of cloud streaming and subscription services."

Is Sony getting local ABK games through Ubisoft+ Classics as part of this deal?

runlikehell

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft are really out here saving both companies hit with big sexual harassment allegations. Huh.

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
If we make bad faith arguments, then Microsoft can just refuse cloud streaming licensing to third-parties after the 10 year period is up.

Really don't see how someone can see this concession Microsoft made to the CMA as a worse outcome.
Except Microsoft has an incentive to keep up appearances. Ubisoft has no such incentive so market dynamics dictates that the pricing structure will increase and favor the already established players.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The mention of Ubisoft+ Classics specifically for PlayStation is still throwing me for a loop. It's a backlog service that doesn't have streaming. The tweet even says "We'll also be licensing the games to a range of cloud streaming and subscription services."

Is Sony getting local ABK games through Ubisoft+ Classics as part of this deal?
Not local, just streaming. Presumably Ubisoft will now be able to add that to their service on PS4/5.

If we make bad faith arguments, then Microsoft can just refuse cloud streaming licensing to third-parties after the 10 year period is up.

Really don't see how someone can see this concession Microsoft made to the CMA as a worse outcome.
Because Microsoft's license was free and open, while Ubisoft's isn't.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I thought all discussion for this merger was confined to the megathread and no new threads until and unless it closes?

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It's in Ubisofts best interests to have this in as many places as possible, so expect it in playstation in some form, whether through Ubisoft+ or Premium Plus.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Those are not contracts with 'EU' cloud providers. GeForce NOW is not an 'EU' cloud provider, and neither is Ubitus.
Also, the EU has obtained that EEA gamers can use any cloud provider of their choosing. I don't expect this will change.

Ok yes, I mean arrangements to provide access in EEA. They are still fixed term arrangements and not a divestiture of the rights to those games.

Except this actually gives more control to the already established cloud providers of which Microsoft is one since the cost to license will not be cheap.

I guess the CMA would prefer the cloud market be controlled by a group of established publishers and platform holders than just Microsoft.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the CMA would prefer the cloud market be controlled by a group of established publishers and platform holders than just Microsoft.
Except with EU's concession, other cloud providers could grow and it could become its own market. Now it's just console market V2. Having ABK titles wouldn't give Microsoft control of the cloud market. However, other cloud providers not having a royalty free license even for models like BYOG inhibits growth and allows the established ones to corner the market.

Alexious

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I guess Brad Smith's promise that the EU agreement would carry globally has gone up in smoke with this restructuring.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just streaming rights, probably means they'll expand Ubisoft+ on Playstation to let you stream too so they can offer them there.
That part makes sense to me but the blog post specifically mentions Ubisoft+ Classics, specifically in relation PlayStation. Ubisoft+ is still planned to come to PlayStation afaik so for day 1 streaming new stuff that makes sense.

That aside Ubisoft+ has the streaming, Ubisoft+ Classics doesn't. Combined with what the tweet says in terms of cloud streaming and subscription services it sounds like Sony will be getting back catalog stuff like usual with Ubisoft+ Classics but now ABK will be thrown in?

It's preeetty confusing tbh

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I thought all discussion for this merger was confined to the megathread and no new threads until and unless it closes?
Side threads are allowed now for information arising as a result of the merger process. As long as this thread is discussing the cloud deal, not the merger itself, it should be fine.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Except with EU's concession, other cloud providers could grow and it could become its own market. Now it's just console market V2

Assuming they could establish themselves over the next 10 years, then yes. But they only have guaranteed access to ABK's catalogue and nothing else. They would still have to make deals with all the other publishers at cost. If 20 cloud providers pop up offering the same ABK catalogue are they really going to thrive?

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming they could establish themselves over the next 10 years, then yes. But they only have guaranteed access to ABK's catalogue and nothing else. They would still have to make deals with all the other publishers at cost. If 20 cloud providers pop up offering the same ABK catalogue are they really going to thrive?
Who knows but taking a nascent market and immediately putting the same market barriers as the console market seems an objectively worse solution.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
That part makes sense to me but the blog post specifically mentions Ubisoft+ Classics, specifically in relation PlayStation. Ubisoft+ is still planned to come to PlayStation afaik so for day 1 streaming new stuff that makes sense.

That aside Ubisoft+ has the streaming, Ubisoft+ Classics doesn't. Combined with what the tweet says in terms of cloud streaming and subscription services it sounds like Sony will be getting back catalog stuff like usual with Ubisoft+ Classics but now ABK will be thrown in?

It's preeetty confusing tbh
No. Cloud streaming and subscription services sounds like covering byog models (Nvidia) and mgs in the cloud (Amazon). Not local download mgs. So, PS+ Premium could license it from Ubisoft perhaps under this deal but not extra. That's how i interpret it.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So a non-exlusive licensing model with the right to even sublicense? Damn. The mother of all deals if I understood correctly.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
so what if Sony licenses Xbox exclusive game for PS+?
They you get to play that game on your playstation.

This deal only covers games made under the activision-blizzard label and, only for cloud streaming. But yes, in theory if Crash Team Racing 2 is an Xbox exclusive, then Playstation could still license that game for their cloud streaming service.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So EU can keep all the games in one place (MS) and the rest of the world has to hope Ubisoft doesn't sell licenses to some games exclusively to different providers?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Ubisoft will hold the cloud gaming rights of games released currently and over the next 15 years by Activision Blizzard in perpetuity.

blogs.microsoft.com

Microsoft and Activision Blizzard Restructure Proposed Acquisition

In January 2022, Microsoft announced the proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard, Inc., to advance our goal to bring more creative and innovative games to players everywhere and on any device. Today, we are taking another important step regarding this transaction.
newsroom.activisionblizzard.com

The next step in the UK for the Microsoft deal

Activision Blizzard welcomes Microsoft’s decision to submit a new application to the CMA, CEO Bobby Kotick writes.
news.ubisoft.com

Activision Blizzard Games Coming To Ubisoft+

Ubisoft has signed an agreement to bring Call of Duty and more to Ubisoft+ and streaming services.

CMA has to approve this at this rate. This is one hell of a concession.

It is if cloud gaming really takes off in the next 15 years. At the moment though, it really isn't - though it'll placate the CMA's baffling fixation on the cloud market. CoD was already going to be everywhere for another 10 years, but now you can potentially add 5 years of streaming access on top of that (if platforms make deals with Ubisoft).

If you don't use cloud gaming, this really doesn't mean much of anything.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

Why would you be forced to sub to Ubi+? They'll certainly be licensed out to Game Pass

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They can do that for Activision games, but for streaming only. So Crash 5 etc etc.
Given Ubisoft has the right to offer the license to any cloud service without any regard on business model per the official statement/CMA page, what stops Sony from enforcing a clause that requires any streamed PS4/PS5 game to also be available for download on PSN though? Im not necessarily talking about them being available on Extra as much as availability in store to purchase and doanload. Its part of their business model, is there a scenario where MS could be forced to release a native version on store thanks to these deals?

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Brad Smith's promise that the EU agreement would carry globally has gone up in smoke with this restructuring.
I wouldn't say it's a given seeing the below as it doesn't specify a region so Microsoft should still be able to fulfill their commitment.
At the same time, Microsoft will receive a non-exclusive licence from Ubisoft for cloud streaming rights to the extent necessary for Microsoft to fulfil its obligations under its commitments to the European Commission and certain existing third-party cloud streaming agreements