• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely went into this with way too high expectations šŸ˜‚

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
yeah it's a bit funny reading posts about how origins "killed" AC when it was the game that saved it. The franchise was getting incredibly stale and it was the butt of every gaming joke after Unity released. It wasn't just because of the technical bugs but also because of how predictable the whole series has become. After 9...? "classic style" entries, it was time to move on. Some people got left behind yes, it is what it is, most long running series have to change overtime to stay relevant.

could future instalment take things from the classic style ? Absolutely, but expecting ubisoft to just drop the current formula which seems more successful than ever seems silly. I certainly dont want to go back to their awful rock paper scissor style combat that was basically all animation based. Yes, the new hitbox based combat isn't as smooth visually, but man it's just a lot more involved and actually fun.
makes me goddamn sick seeing a very average game being proclaimed as the peak of the series, 2 is the peak of the series, IMO 3 should've been the formula the series followed in terms of making a cohesive world, but that game had other problems of its own too.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
And still based on mythology fml, seriously..

I really don't know who's the target audience for this because after every AC the fans keep saying the same thing, let's tune down a bit on the mythology. Look I don't know who keeps wanting this/selling well but no one of my readers want this nor my friends or even /r/AC
The core AC fanbase (at least the ones that hang out on places like r/AC) and the casual audience seem to want completely different things from the franchise. The Venn Diagram is two completely separate, free-floating circles.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
in what world is Unity considered the peak of the franchise, Unity failed at everything that it did.

Co op is awful and did nothing than waste extra resources that should've went into building more cohesive side content,

stealth so broken that you basically had to spam smoke bombs to do anything and enemies that could see through wall,

combat regularly breaks with animation un syncing and crazy rifleman who can one-shot you from any distance,

parkour that doubled down on the flaws of the Kenway saga with even more automation and floaty jumps that killed any flow and crazy input lag that would make Rockstar blush

Also I've seen Mute protagonist that have more charm and character developments than Arno.

its insane to me that this is what the fans want out these games.
Unity managed to get itself placed in an unusual spot that made it uniquely suited for some people to latch onto as their ideal for the franchise.

It was one of the last city-based AC games (and Syndicate changed traversal in a pretty fundamental way with the rope launcher, so Unity is really the last classic city traversal game in the series), it looks ridiculously good (because Ubisoft made something that barely ran on last-gen consoles, whereas all their later AC games performed better), the initial reaction to it conditions people to expect the worst when really it's mostly just mediocre (so new players are pleasantly surprised), it's long enough ago now that a lot of the original criticism has kind of faded from collective memory, and it looks amazing in GIFs on Twitter which show Arno moving freely around some well-designed sections of Paris (but don't show him dropping to the ground, running into a person who only popped into existence that second, getting stuck on scenery and then spending 30 seconds trying to get through a window).

That combination of blunted memory, graphical shininess and gameplay concepts that people miss has helped the game's reputation among a big group of people, but I don't think it's the dominant viewpoint among fans. I think a majority of them would agree that Unity was largely a mis-step, they're just not the ones talking about it nowadays.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Unity managed to get itself placed in an unusual spot that made it uniquely suited for some people to latch onto as their ideal for the franchise.

It was one of the last city-based AC games (and Syndicate changed traversal in a pretty fundamental way with the rope launcher, so Unity is really the last classic city traversal game in the series), it looks ridiculously good (because Ubisoft made something that barely ran on last-gen consoles, whereas all their later AC games performed better), the initial reaction to it conditions people to expect the worst when really it's mostly just mediocre (so new players are pleasantly surprised), it's long enough ago now that a lot of the original criticism has kind of faded from collective memory, and it looks amazing in GIFs on Twitter which show Arno moving freely around some well-designed sections of Paris (but don't show him dropping to the ground, running into a person who only popped into existence that second, getting stuck on scenery and then spending 30 seconds trying to get through a window).

That combination of blunted memory, graphical shininess and gameplay concepts that people miss has helped the game's reputation among a big group of people, but I don't think it's the dominant viewpoint among fans. I think a majority of them would agree that Unity was largely a mis-step, they're just not the ones talking about it nowadays.
Yes, the 10-second gifs of AC: Unity that get posted on social media are very convincing.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Huh, so yesterday they announced that they would announce something today...and ended up announcing that they'll have announcements in September?

6jnxsw.jpg

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
At least this time they didn't schedule stream and then start of the stream was actually start of the 30 minute countdown.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
If someone from Ubisoft reading this here is message for your bosses, look at Capcom and Square Enix and what they did last night for their anniversaries. That is how you do it.