• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
please include a bit of Finland. let me free the Castle of Turku from germanic invaders!
This looks like a cool place but it's also late 13th Century, well past the time that anyone considers to be the Viking era. AC games have included anachronistic buildings before, so I guess it's not totally out of the question, but I don't think there's been anything that far away from its own time.

Whatever happened to Gods and Monsters? It was initially ging to be released in February, then it got delayed and we haven't even seen a screenshot of it
Gods and Monsters always seemed like it was too ambitious of a schedule to me. The idea that the Odyssey team could build a new open world game in a little over a year, while still supporting Odyssey and also - presumably - working on some future Assassin's Creed game seemed far-fetched. I think Gods and Monsters is probably around a year away.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
VIKINGS!?

If they do accurate and/or entertaining portrayals of the Nordic countries/Viking history I'm probably in

haven't ever played an Assassin's Creed game but if I can vacation in the OLDEN TIMES in my own neighbourhoods, that would be pretty swell

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
The one problem I see with vikings is they didn't have big cities. That's always the best part about AC for me.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
so, Ubisoft gone hiding half a year ago after postponing all planned releases just to announce another game which is the rumored viking AC- but the postponed games still have no release dates?

makes no sense at all to me. i would rather like to know when the new Watch Dogs is coming out.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
ysiRbc.gif

Lol, my reaction exactly. I fully expect to be their largest open-world game. With next-gen consoles Ubi will go all in.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
so, Ubisoft gone hiding half a year ago after postponing all planned releases just to announce another game which is the rumored viking AC- but the postponed games still have no release dates?

makes no sense at all to me. i would rather like to know when the new Watch Dogs is coming out.
This is the beginning of a series of announcements.

I'd be excited if it was a next gen title. Hopefully one that pushes systems, like AC Unity did.
Not this year. Just like last time around, when we had Black Flag before we got a real next gen AC.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Ubisoft not unveiling their flagship game at a MS or Sony press conference is pretty abnormal right?

I'm interested regardless but I wonder if this is because of plans changing for one of the others.

Oct 28, 2019

They already said they plan to release 5 AAA (Watch Dogs, AC, Gods and Monsters, Rainbow Six, unknown) games between October 2020 and March 2021, with more information in mid May (probably before their earnings call).

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
The one problem I see with vikings is they didn't have big cities. That's always the best part about AC for me.

They didn't, but they sure tried to invade or even interacted with some. "Large" cities (100000+ ) more from the middle ages where Vikings strolled are numerous, Paris, Séville, Constantinople etc... They do have options to have big cities I would say.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I think the cross gen period will be longer this gen than it was last gen. If the consoles come out at a high price point as we go through a global recession then I assume sales will be lower than expected for the newer systems, and right now no one knows what will happen with the virus or the economy, so I would imagine most third party publishers will be cautious about green lighting non cross gen games for another year or so, which means we'll be seeing cross gen games coming out well into the 2020s

I'm not an expert though, I'm just making assumptions
The thing is, if we assume next gen only titles are planned for 2021-22, they already are in development. Changing that could also be a terrible decision.
Ubisoft not unveiling their flagship game at a MS or Sony press conference is pretty abnormal right?
The unveiling, as a teaser trailer ? No.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The thing is, if we assume next gen only titles are planned for 2021-22, they already are in development. Changing that could also be a terrible decision.

Yeah I'm not at all saying cross gen games will be the only ones on next gen

I just think we'll see a longer period of cross gen than last time

By the end of 2015 I don't think many games also make it to PS3/360, maybe only the paired back Black Ops III, so that was 2 years into the generation.

If the new consoles don't sell as well due to COVID19 and an economic downturn, then I can't see many games that are being greenlit in 2020 being made for next gen only, so we could still be seeing PS5 games getting a PS4 version released into 2022/2023

Again, I'm not an expert and so could well be wrong

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Has there ever been an open world viking game? Seems like Vikings are used often in games as fighters, but their lifes and cultures are never really explored much. Hopefully Ubi stays historically accurate where it needs to.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I can't stomach more of Odyssey so I'm hoping it's scaled back, but who am I kidding. It'll be another "it's out biggest world yet!" AC and I'll probably buy it, play it for a bit and never finish it. What I would give to have the old AC formula back... Or hell, just give me Origins. Big, yes, but not nearly as bloated.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
I wouldn't mind an open world that's even bigger in land mass than Odyssey for the sake of conveying vastness - my issue is just don't fill that vastness with the same 2-3 activities dozens and dozens of times over.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder what sort of area this will cover. The Viking world stretches form Greenland to Constantinople.

Denmark
Norway
Sweden
Iceland
Scotland
England
Ireland
Kingdom of Mann and the Isles

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
i wonder what sort of area this will cover. The Viking world stretches form Greenland to Constantinople.

Denmark
Norway
Sweden
Iceland
Scotland
England
Ireland
Kingdom of Mann and the Isles

It really could go in so many directions, they have found evidence of Vikings visiting North America and the Middle East.

I hope to see the Scottish Islands, Shetland had some big Viking settlements.

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't mind an open world that's even bigger in land mass than Odyssey for the sake of conveying vastness - my issue is just don't fill that vastness with the same 2-3 activities dozens and dozens of times over.

This. Give us a big and beautiful dark age Europe to explore if you wish, but it doesn't have to plastered with a thousand question marks that come in about 5 variations to justify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.