• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You know you can have your opinions and what not but boy are some of you REALLY going super out of your way in here to be dickish about just REALLY letting people know that you hate cops. Yeah, cool we get it.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I am baffled by all the willful misreadings going on here. How are people so bewildered by anyone bringing up cops or criticizing them, when the art piece in question was itself critical toward cops???

This thread was never about cops, the image of a cop, nor even the game. It was about a derogatory word being removed. Then they derail the thread and get defensive when people are rightfully confused by their sudden hot drop of a derailment.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you stated here, but the original image wasn't, AFAIK, trying to draw a direct correlation between queer people and police officers being one and the same. It strikes me as being an extremely tasteless visual gag that some prick thought would be funny to sneak into the game proper.

It's also worth noting, however, that SHD Agents in these games are basically supercops, operating above the law and reporting directly to the President. Everything they say and do is condoned by the President, and they operate in the name of "restoring America". The question to ask then is, is America really worth being restored by an authoritarian force of supercops? The America that denigrates and marginalizes queer people, people of color, women, and so on? You work with a range of people from diverse backgrounds, from queer physicians to ex-military women of color, but nobody ever seems to bring up the kind of shit they faced in the US before the Green Poison outbreak, and most everyone you meet on the side of "good" seems pretty eager to get things back to normal after all the "bad" guys are dealt with (with violence, because again, TC property).

Cops serve a system that exists to oppress already-marginalized groups and keep them in line, typically through intimidation and violence. Even "good" cops who want to help people are inadvertently assisting in enabling and maintaining this system of fear and oppression.

The Division 2 feels like a story that was chopped up and edited back together because of this mission statement that the game was now apolitical. Because from what I remember of The Division 1, The Division was in fact, not a bastion of hope or good.

I feel like your main "problem", if anything, was overestimating how "progressive" Era is. Like I'm fully aware and sympathetic to your hostility towards cops (I'm on the spectrum, I genuinely try to avoid them where possible), but it never really struck me that this was a forum where you'd be able to just randomly say "fuck the police" without explaining the full context bc unless you're relatively well-informed and/or a minority with personal experience to draw on, it probably seems like an absurd statement on its face. I'm not trying to tone police you or anything, for the record, I'm just not surprised that this escalated so hard.

When someone blurts out a non-sequitur in to a crowd, people would rightfully wonder what the fuck is going on. Also didn't know shouting "fuck the police" was a requirement to own a progressive badge, the more you know I guess.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
You know you can have your opinions and what not but boy are some of you REALLY going super out of your way in here to be dickish about just REALLY letting people know that you hate cops. Yeah, cool we get it.

Going out of their way to be dickish? Or taking time to explain their standpoint? It's not like they said 'Fuck the police!', then bailed.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Orange is a predominant color in the first division game (no idea about the second one)
It's kind of crazy but i was super curious about the hex stuff pointing to a color and looking it up it does seem like its the exact orange that's used in the game. Im thinking its a crazy coincidence but now it seems super weird.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Naturally things are probably pretty different over here in the UK, but speaking anecdotally there are times when I've felt like if I hadn't called the police, things would have escalated and worsened considerably. I'm not sure I understand your reply fully, though. Do you still make use of the police if you feel they'd be able to help a situation, or do you just avoid involving them in any way.

I know you weren't talking to me, but generally speaking even in a bad situation a lot of minorities would still prefer to deal with the situation on their own with whatever resources they have available than go to the police for anything. They don't really consider them a reliable solution to potential problems, just another way of creating more problems and making a bad situation worse.

It's about assessing the risk basically. "Maybe I will get lucky and this policeman will actually try to help me, but they might just think I'm the crook instead. Is it really worth it?"

When someone blurts out a non-sequitur in to a crowd, people would rightfully wonder what the fuck is going on. Also didn't know shouting "fuck the police" was a requirement to own a progressive badge, the more you know I guess.

That's not really what I was trying to say, but I probably should have worded my post differently.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I feel like your main "problem", if anything, was overestimating how "progressive" Era is. Like I'm fully aware and sympathetic to your hostility towards cops (I'm on the spectrum, I genuinely try to avoid them where possible), but it never really struck me that this was a forum where you'd be able to just randomly say "fuck the police" without explaining the full context bc unless you're relatively well-informed and/or a minority with personal experience to draw on, it probably seems like an absurd statement on its face. I'm not trying to tone police you or anything, for the record, I'm just not surprised that this escalated so hard.

Fair enough. For the record I would like to say I greatly appreciate the additional context you brought into this thread; I don't think I ever properly thanked you for that.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, class traitors with a long institutional history of dehumanization and violence while expecting bootlickers to thank them. Anyone wanting to joining that shitshow is free to do so, but I can't fuck with you anymore

You can also share my feeling with them if you want

Class traitors?? What is that suppose to be exactly?

Gospel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The worst part of these threads is all the people knowingly quoting one post and just posting variations of the same thing.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Good on Ubisoft for not saying something boneheaded like "I'm sorry to those who were offended." Take notes, thq nordic.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The Division 2 feels like a story that was chopped up and edited back together because of this mission statement that the game was now apolitical. Because from what I remember of The Division 1, The Division was in fact, not a bastion of hope or good.
You're right. TD1 had a radio operator who brought up the nature of The Division as being pretty creepy and authoritarian: civilians trained as sleeper agents who'd be activated as supercops when the US is attacked by terrorists, trained specifically to act above the law and restore American government.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
You're right. TD1 had a radio operator who brought up the nature of The Division as being pretty creepy and authoritarian: civilians trained as sleeper agents who'd be activated as supercops when the US is attacked by terrorists, trained specifically to act above the law and restore American government.

It's why a lot of the agents went rogue iirc, a lot of them didn't want to go back to "normal." Of course you only fight the evil greedy rogue agents ever in-game, but after the sparse events that happened in TD2 I expect the player will go narratively "rogue."

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's why a lot of the agents went rogue iirc, a lot of them didn't want to go back to "normal." Of course you only fight the evil greedy rogue agents ever in-game, but after the sparse events that happened in TD2 I expect the player will go narratively "rogue."
Sparse is the right word here. I can't imagine the preposterous premise of TD2 is anything more than just a container to justify feeding you missions where you go and murder hundreds of people for yellow squares. I feel the game is all the better for it from a design standpoint which makes the location set in TD2 and the effort to separate it from any meaningful political stance even more perplexing.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Sparse is the right word here. I can't imagine the preposterous premise of TD2 is anything more than just a container to justify feeding you missions where you go and murder hundreds of people for yellow squares. I feel the game is all the better for it from a design standpoint which makes the location set in TD2 and the effort to separate it from any meaningful political stance even more perplexing.

The whole game feels more political now haha

Edit (story spoilers I guess):
For clarification: By making President Action Hero a traitor with an actual authoritarian army (that all wear black and have oppressively designed robots) it's being extremely political.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
So I see a lot of people have objected to this statement. While I'm not a mind-reader and can't speak for the reasons why they might have said this, I have a pretty good idea of why they would.

The police as an institution is deeply problematic. It does a pretty much non-existent job of filtering out white supremacists and bullies, the way they are trained is terrible (not enough emphasis on de-escalation), there is little accountability and problematic offenders get off with slaps on the wrist, and there is some evidence to suggest that domestic abuse is far common in families with police members. There's a good reason why minority people (especially african-americans) generally aren't fond of them, and that's because you can never know if an officer will be decent and try to do their job the way it should ideally be done, or if they will harass you or even worse, kill you.

So yeah "fuck cops" seems like an unreasonable generalization only if you are not aware of the place where it's coming from. Obviously people know that it's impossible for 100% of the police to be uniformly terrible, but "not all" statements are usually born from a place of defensiveness or ignorance to acknowledge the structural problems that the statement alludes to.

I mean it's not like people disagree about this specific point, but it's just that this specific point is brought out in like, a really weird way, because it has nothing to do with what the topic actually is (very possibly a rogue artist being a jackass.)

I mean, Ubisoft even apologized and issued a patch specifically to remove it. To just come in here in thunderous voice saying "THEY'RE SAYING GAY = POLICE AND THAT SUCKS!' (with the added bonus for saying THE GAME SUCKS!) is just really really weird.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, class traitors with a long institutional history of dehumanization and violence while expecting bootlickers to thank them. Anyone wanting to joining that shitshow is free to do so, but I can't fuck with you anymore

edgy

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The whole game feels more political now haha

Edit (story spoilers I guess):
For clarification: By making President Action Hero a traitor with an actual authoritarian army (that all wear black and have oppressively designed robots) it's being extremely political.
I see what you mean lol. This could be the most meta poltical commentary this gen if the point of TD2 being set in DC is to be the most empty fun you can have doing the worst things for the wrong reasons. And that reality being exactly what we have always wanted int he first place.

or that lol

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Is it though? Lots of people in this thread seem to have never even seen someone be critical of the police before.
Totally fine to be critical of something. Even my brother (a deputy) is very critical of the way police academies and training are handled. But "fuck cops" is just hateful BS.

Auxy

Jan 1, 2018
Newmarket, UK
Had no idea what that code even meant and I'm gay af so I'm not surprised someone could sneak that in I guess.

I don't know. I'm not sure if I'm becoming jaded, paranoid or 'ascended' here because I feel like I see these stories all the time and now I can't help but think to myself that they might be marketing stunts. Like they're playing on my desire for progressiveness by putting something trivial in the game that was never going to make it into the final thing, saying how there was very small flack over it and coming back like "Hey we fixed it because we support you" to win our hearts instead of doing something actually progressive.

Like, I think I might be going crazy here I actually don't know anymore.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No doubt. It's like it's 1992 up in here. Absolutely incredible how people stereotype here.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel for the mods that has to sort out through this thread.

It's one of the messiest one I've read so far. It's like the usage of a homophobic slur on a cop image broke the logic of some users.

Had no idea what that code even meant and I'm gay af so I'm not surprised someone could sneak that in I guess.

I don't know. I'm not sure if I'm becoming jaded, paranoid or 'ascended' here because I feel like I see these stories all the time and now I can't help but think to myself that they might be marketing stunts. Like they're playing on my desire for progressiveness by putting something trivial in the game that was never going to make it into the final thing, saying how there was very small flack over it and coming back like "Hey we fixed it because we support you" to win our hearts instead of doing something actually progressive.

Like, I think I might be going crazy here I actually don't know anymore.

Most probably an outsourced art that was made by a dumb schmuck. Don't overthink it.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
The only good cops are the one that try to change the shitty organization from within and not partake in bigoted and violent enforcement.

But then they wouldn't be performing their duties and would be placed on leave and removed, and thus, wouldn't be cops any more

So yeah

No good cops

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for them. In general, Ubisoft games are getting more and more progressive and diverse, even introducing things in a low key manner like badass women in positions of power (DIvision, Assassins Creed all have them) and also female combatants in every game they make. There is no place for this kind of shit in their games.
the division games are reactionary wet dreams like all the tom clancy stuff. they can be fun but putting women and poc in your fascist murder fest doesn't make it progressive.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Report any post you think is breaking the rules instead of whining about the moderation.

Is it though? Lots of people in this thread seem to have never even seen someone be critical of the police before.

That's a big assumption to make about people pointing out hilarious over the top statement like pigs being better than cops, and replying to other posters to tell the cops they know that cops can get fucked.

Critique is fine but this ain't it.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
That's a big assumption to make about people pointing out hilarious over the top statement like pigs being better than cops, and replying to other posters to tell the cops they know that cops can get fucked.

Critique is fine but this ain't it.

That is still people being critical, not implying all hot takes are made from the same cloth as the more thought out posts on here.

the division games are reactionary wet dreams like all the tom clancy stuff. they can be fun but putting women and poc in your fascist mirder fest doesn't make it progressive.

Didn't the first game have you straight up killing prisoners? This series has some fucked up politics, for a game that is allegedly apolitical.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017

Wow. Really thought of most people on Era as peers, critically thinking, compassionate, well rounded individuals. Guess I forgot I was on the internet.

The amount of animosity here for people who every day run into harms way to save the lives of the very people directing hate towards them is astonishing.

There are bad cops, there are bad teachers, there are bad nurses, there are "bad " examples in every profession. However the VAST majority of law enforcement officers are great people, with families, who want to do good. And more than anything, just want to make the communities they serve safer places.

Name another profession you can work in, and in 7 years have 6 of your friends, family, coworkers not just die, but be violently murdered on the job.

Yes there are horrible things that happen with interactions with cops, but even just statistically, with how many law enforcement personel there are, and how many interactions with citizens they have per day, if you run the numbers, the amount of interactions that are even disputed or anything negative happens at all at the hands of law enforcement, it's infamtismal.

But on display here is a sickening level of disconnected individuals here. Hating on people that would (and do) give their lives for anyone of you in a second.

I'm not mad, just disappointed and sad. Maybe if some of you had experienced death more, or faced death, or actually life and death decisions that need to be made in milliseconds; you'd have a different tune.

But if appealing to your humanity doesn't work, I'd say we of you are a lost cause based on your vitriolic hate.

Feels bad.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Are there companies that videogames/movies/tv outsource for random art assets like this..?

The hand is freaking backwards.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
The game has always been political, but it seems to bumble into the shittier, authoritarian sort a lot.

Totally fine to be critical of something. Even my brother (a deputy) is very critical of the way police academies and training are handled. But "fuck cops" is just hateful BS.
No more hateful than fuck the rich. Much of the hate is warranted, but there's certainly cool heads that nonetheless have very adequate reasons for saying fuck this diseased institution. I'm white, and thereby insulated from a number of its worst tendencies, but still wouldn't call upon the police in a long list of circumstances (and would beg anyone I know not to call them for something like a wellness check in my own example).

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
Hah!

I mean, this artwork is taken from a Black Flag EP cover that also uses the f-slur, which I'll decline to post here despite having the shirt. But the addition of this badge is... weirdly unnecessary.

Yeah, Police Story, I had that shirt when I was in high school. But uh.. hrm, weird homage there.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
But if appealing to your humanity doesn't work, I'd say we of you are a lost cause based on your vitriolic hate.

Feels bad.

I feel sorry for anyone who loses a loved one in any job, but there is no way you can erase the knowledge I have about the history of policing, opressive practices and times they get away with literal murder.

I have also read enough stories about police whistleblowers to know that goes, and be more than skeptical of the whole machine being an uncompromising force for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.