Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
There is a whole sidequest dedicated to Kandell and her wife in the Division, why they separated, the wife's final fate, etc etc.

Though yes, it doesn't really detract from your point that the Division, despite it being the "hero" of the game, is actually a really really nasty organization, when you think about it, haha.
I mistakenly bought it in the most recent Humble Monthly Bundle and have played more than I ever did on PS4 when it launched, so I guess I'll find that soon!

May 18, 2018
I'm usually okay with people expressing anger over things, even if I feel it's ridiculous but.....come on. This is like a action hero catchphrase.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't find making fun of a situation where people had difficulty buying groceries in good taste.

I wonder how many people in here that find this humorous were impacted or had family or friends impacted.

It was a pretty messed up situation, but let's all have a laugh. Hahaha. Give me a break...

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
This is hilarious, but simultaneously in poor taste, considering that there are thousands of people who's lives have been negatively impacted by the shutdown. Also, the fact that this is related to a game in which its creators insist that it is not politically reflective is a touch ironic.

Glad they sent out an apology, however, and I imagine the dude who came up with this will probably be in the hot seat.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there are more people in this thread offended that people are offended than those that are actually offended

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right? I'm amazed there are some Era posters actually offended by this.

I feel sorry for the people affected by the shutdown that are just trying to live their lives, do their jobs. For instance, our Coast Guard wasn't paid during the shut down.

I feel like there are more people in this thread offended that people are offended than those that are actually offended

Probably.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem that bad to me. It's cheeky, sure, but don't know why it would be considered in "poor taste".

Which reminds me, I find it real fucking stupid that a government shutdown can even happen. America's political system is nonsensical and I will never understand it.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't find making fun of a situation where people had difficulty buying groceries in good taste.

I wonder how many people in here that find this humorous were impacted or had family or friends impacted.

It was a pretty messed up situation, but let's all have a laugh. Hahaha. Give me a break...
My old man works for the gov't. I still got a chuckle out of it. You can still find humor in bleak situations, a lot of comedy is actually based upon it. I mean, it goes without saying that humor is wildly subjective.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
That was not accidental in the least. Ubisoft got caught up and came up with that bs excuse.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem that bad to me. It's cheeky, sure, but don't know why it would be considered in "poor taste".

Which reminds me, I find it real fucking stupid that a government shutdown can even happen. America's political system is nonsensical and I will never understand it.

Don't worry 99% of Americans don't understand it either.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
To quote Jim Sterling: "Oh, Ubisoft".

It is somewhat funny but at the same time it's quite tone deaf to people who were affected by shutdown.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is there a title lately they haven't apologized for?

Cheeky joke; works in contect; tone deaf; all those things.

Nov 1, 2017

My family members and I were directly affected by this, and it doesn't make the tweet offensive to me.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel sorry for the people affected by the shutdown that are just trying to live their lives, do their jobs. For instance, our Coast Guard wasn't paid during the shut down.

Probably.
So do I. The joke is still funny.

More than a basic reference I guess? At best the joke is that its crass, but even dead baby jokes have some creativity while this just reeks of desperation.

Desperate for what?

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
And one of the other enemy groups is a group another segment of the American population typically abhors.

The Last Man Battalion was hired by the 1%, Wall Street execs who wanted them to protect their assets. The game just came up with random groups of enemies that would fit logically into NYC.

And yeah, The Division's purpose is to return order and law to society. I don't see that as political. I see that as something a person would want in the face of a near apocalyptic event that crumbles the tenants of civilization.

The Division and the JTF go about it in a way that people here should like. By offering humanitarian aid through food and medicine, while saving defenseless citizens from violent crime.

The first mission in the division have you killing people for stealing food. I mean you don't even ask them if they are the ones that stole it or if they are willing to return it, you just get there and killed them.

Oct 27, 2017
Attention and I don't mean this in some three moves ahead manipulation of people getting angry, I mean in the most basic sense of some intern trying to come up with anything to get someone to look at it before trashing it like every other advertising email.
It's called topical humor. When I look at SNL or political cartoons, I don't consider their humor to be born from desperation.

KarmaCow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's called topical humor. When I look at SNL or political cartoons, I don't consider their humor to be born from desperation.

Topical humour has some commentary to it, some creativity and this barely qualifies. Weekend Update isn't just someone reading off a newspaper to advertise something else.

And this doesn't have enough labels to really qualify as your average political cartoon.

Oct 27, 2017
Topical humour has some commentary to it, some creativity and this barely qualifies. Weekend Update isn't just someone reading off a newspaper to advertise something else.

And this doesn't have enough labels to really qualify as your average political cartoon.
It's a an advertising tag line. They're meant to be brief yet engaging. This one was. Nothing about it reeked of desperation imo.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Clever marketing and has zero impact on the real political climate. Just a dumb cheeky comment playing off a recent event. Nobody should feel personally slighted or afflicted cause of this. Marketing many many years ago used to be much more risky but now everyone looks for any reason to be personally offended by anything and everything.

Ubisoft shouldn't have apologized and the marketing guy should get a pat on the back.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
Good to see Ubisoft contuine the corporate tradition of apologing for having a sense of humor.