Panicky Duck

Dec 14, 2020

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
But – and not to move goal posts! – what does that actually mean that the "IC" tipped him off? I'm sincerely not trying to venture into my own conspiracy theories, but looking at the board here I'm not sure what conclusion I'm supposed to draw.
On the "IC", the "IC" is the Intelligence Community, which would be the 18 intelligence agencies in the U.S. government. The Inspector General of the Intelligence Community (IGIC) is who Grusch's complaint ultimately went to after he was retaliated against. The IGIC did a preliminary investigation as required and found his complaint was credible, then passed it on to Congress. When people say the "IC" was involved in the latest hit piece, they would probably be referring to someone in the agency he was a part of, or another agency that has an interest in discrediting him.

Deleted member 149904

Jun 12, 2023
It bothers me that the NASA panelists seemed so disinterested. Even if it's nothing, scientific curiosity should have a place here.

I'm not 100% convinced it's aliens. But taking into account the gimbal/gofast videos, and the pilots' accounts, I'm certain something unusual is happening.
'Scientific curiosity' is a thing touted by NASA as part of its marketing. In reality it's bureaucracy and project management to the core, some even at the expense of human lives. In reality you'll lose your credibility and maybe even future jobs if you show any real curious towards the potential of unexplained phenomenon right here on Earth.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
'Scientific curiosity' is a thing touted by NASA as part of its marketing. In reality it's bureaucracy and project management to the core, some even at the expense of human lives. In reality you'll lose your credibility and maybe even future jobs if you show any real curious towards the potential of unexplained phenomenon right here on Earth.

Are we seriously shitting on Nasa in this thread right now?

I might be done

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Read Diane Vaughan's book on how organizational culture was at the heart of the challenger disaster.
you don't need to read a book - it is a well-known conclusion as reached by the official investigation after the disaster and reported on widely after the fact

it has nowt to do with why anyone there would or would not have a "scientific" interest in aliens

Deleted member 149904

Jun 12, 2023
you don't need to read a book - it is a well-known conclusion as reached by the official investigation after the disaster and reported on widely after the fact

it has nowt to do with why anyone there would or would not have a "scientific" interest in aliens
All I'm saying is NASA isn't perfect. Like all organizations it's prone to mistakes, bad decisions, and bad culture.

Panicky Duck

Dec 14, 2020
Yeah, getting MAGA type people vibes sometimes here. "ALL Scientists are corrupt!!!!""""
Sure, mistakes have been made but come the fuck on.

I don't believe anyone in this thread is saying that. The article states that the NASA panelists didn't take the UAP meeting seriously. That's not necessarily corruption (and even if it was, the NASA panelists don't represent "ALL scientists"). To say otherwise only removes the nuance from a legitimate discussion.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
yeah NASA isn't perfect

I still consider their net contributions to society, for what little investment we put into them, the highest on average among the majority of our institutions

I don't think anything of the fact they aren't interested. There isn't much for them to chew on as they aren't being involved any more than we are with what is going on with this shit.

It's irrelevant

Oct 30, 2017
Ross Coulthart is really dropping the ball lately. I mean, maybe this is really a patch from Area 51 that some random dude gave to him, but that looks 100% like cybersecurity. Referencing a tng episode is something a cyber security nerd would do.

Deleted member 8831

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, getting MAGA type people vibes sometimes here. "ALL Scientists are corrupt!!!!""""

How did you go from a discussion about distrust in NASA due to a lack of transparency, to somehow people hating scientists? Nobody here is anti-science or MAGA. Some of you here are really trying hard to get this thread shut down with these extreme comments, huh?

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
With all sincerity, what the hell is this post? I've been banned for reporting these types of comments before, so I don't want to spark a back-and-forth, but genuinely don't understand how it's allowed.

Last edited:

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
How did you go from a discussion about distrust in NASA due to a lack of transparency, to somehow people hating scientists? Nobody here is anti-science or MAGA. Some of you here are really trying hard to get this thread shut down with these extreme comments, huh?
Careful, you're gonna get flagged for conspiratorial talk.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
With all sincerity, what the hell is this post? I've been banned for reporting these types of comments before, so I don't want to spark a back-and-forth, but genuinely don't understand how it's allowed.
I think it's troubling when people call people working at NASA "not curious" / lacking curiousity or a bureaucratic mess just to make them less serious or less credible. I'm not saying people here are MAGA. I'm just saying this mindset of trying to discredit/ridicule scientists whenever they don't do or say what you want is exactly like how those people react. Not saying NASA doesn't make mistakes. But that wasn't hat was implied with "they're not curious".

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's troubling when people call people working at NASA "not curious" / lacking curiousity or a bureaucratic mess just to make them less serious or less credible. I'm not saying people here are MAGA. I'm just saying this mindset of trying to discredit/ridicule scientists whenever they don't do or say what you want is exactly like how those people react. Not saying NASA doesn't make mistakes. But that wasn't hat was implied with "they're not curious".
You're not accusing people here of being MAGA after saying "Yeah, getting MAGA type people vibes sometimes here"?

bruh 😬

Deleted member 8831

Oct 26, 2017
No. Exactly what i explained. It's that aspect of MAGA people. And it's a scary aspect. Be critical of NASA but to imply they're not to be taken serious is kinda scary imo.

It is needless fear-mongering and labeling of people here. We are not anti-science, and we sure as shit aren't MAGA.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
No. Exactly what i explained. It's that aspect of MAGA people. And it's a scary aspect. Be critical of NASA but to imply they're not to be taken serious is kinda scary imo.
Dude, has anyone in this thread said "ALL Scientists are corrupt!" like you exaggerated in your original post? Isn't it dangerous for you to mischaracterise the discussion here and slander other posters?

They were simply being critical of NASA, which you've just agreed with, man.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, has anyone in this thread said "ALL Scientists are corrupt!" like you exaggerated in your original post? Weren't people simply being critical of NASA like you just agreed with?
I didn't agree at all that that was being critical. How did you read that? Be critical but don't just brush them away as not to be taken seriously.
I did exaggerate, yes. Anyway. i'll get back to lurking the thread and won't react anymore as this thread has derailed enough. Apologies for that.

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
/r/UFOs has lost its mind.
lol i'll save the long paragraph and just say ya can't let the rookies and the rooks run the roost.
there's people letting of smoke screens and new info and conflating old info and then mixed with this completely improbable video. at any other time it would have caught eye rolls. but at the worst possible time, some useless and salacious theory about a well known tragedy gets thrown in like meat while everyone is bored and waiting for congress to get out of session and more ufo news.

just like this whole thing occured because of a perfect slow down of business in congress, the slowdown of news is perfect time for a complete derail of a topic full of bored and low information people.

Oct 30, 2017
You are not wrong on that. It has gone off the deep end these past few weeks.
Yep

lol i'll save the long paragraph and just say ya can't let the rookies and the rooks run the roost.
there's people letting of smoke screens and new info and conflating old info and then mixed with this completely improbable video. at any other time it would have caught eye rolls. but at the worst possible time, some useless and salacious theory about a well known tragedy gets thrown in like meat while everyone is bored and waiting for congress to get out of session and more ufo news.

just like this whole thing occured because of a perfect slow down of business in congress, the slowdown of news is perfect time for a complete derail of a topic full of bored and low information people.
You're 100% right.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
I found the main threads about analyzing those videos pretty level headed given this subject matter (UAP/UFO Phenomena) lol

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
The flight MH370 threads in r/ufos shows how many people have really gone off the deep end.

They're talking about drones, satellites, passengers ringing family members etc.

It's literally batshit.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The flight MH370 threads in r/ufos shows how many people have really gone off the deep end.

They're talking about drones, satellites, passengers ringing family members etc.

It's literally batshit.
There was that video a few days ago that was also posted on that reddit that had a large airliner and 3 small ufos that start to fly circles around, and then they all just blip out and disappear. I cant tell if they are thinking that that airliner was MH370 or if the same thing might have happened to it.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
There was that video a few days ago that was also posted on that reddit that had a large airliner and 3 small ufos that start to fly circles around, and then they all just blip out and disappear. I cant tell if they are thinking that that airliner was MH370 or if the same thing might have happened to it.
Redditors are presuming that airliner is the MH370. They're discussing that video.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah I have seen the video, I believe that a number of members in r/ufos believe that it is flight MH370.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So weird. I thought that video was for sure fake, but then I kept seeing all the MH370 threads popping up.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The terms "UFO" and "UAP" have become so synonymous with extraterrestrials/"NHIs" for some people that the language just muddies and narrows the conversation.

When people say, "I believe in UFOs", there's not exactly any room for nuance there. It just becomes a euphemism to maintain a veil of evenhandedness. Might as well just call them SACs (Suspected Alien Craft).

(Referring to places like that subreddit.)

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
there was a funny r/ufo thread wherein i listed all the various extremely fringe theories with regards to UFOs I could remember of the top of my head. i was a little startled by replies by those who subscribed to them

Happy to report some folk are still into Pleiadians and Lemurians

Deleted member 8831

Oct 26, 2017
Unbelievable. What is it with this topic that makes people make the wildest accusations about other users.

They are quick to claim extremes in this thread (MAGA vibes, discrediting scientists, etc.), but are oblivious to the fact that they are being extreme themselves (downplaying, troll-like behavior, nothing beneficial to add to the overall discussion, false accusations, etc.).

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's absurd that users have to take it upon themselves to do this, but it's honestly not worth replying to incendiary posters who aren't here in good faith.

It'll just get the thread locked if we continue to react, even if the reaction in the same spirit as the original commenter, and then we'll have nowhere to discuss this on the forum.

Last edited:

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022
I must be missing something. If what that man said in front of congress was a lie couldn't he just be arrested? That random hit piece just adds more credence to the claims.

This has gotten extremely exhausting.

Panicky Duck

Dec 14, 2020
I must be missing something. If what that man said in front of congress was a lie couldn't he just be arrested? That random hit piece just adds more credence to the claims.

This has gotten extremely exhausting.

As I understand it, Grusch can simply be wrong without deliberately lying, as long as he genuinely believes what he says. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know for sure if perjury charges apply in that case.

I imagine it's a minefield of a process because both telling the truth (leaking classified info) and lying (perjury) can have legal consequences. Grusch has certainly made the necessary precautions to do this by the book, though this frustratingly keeps us in the dark.

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022
As I understand it, Grusch can simply be wrong without deliberately lying, as long as he genuinely believes what he says. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know for sure if perjury charges apply in that case.

I imagine it's a minefield of a process because both telling the truth (leaking classified info) and lying (perjury) can have legal consequences. Grusch has certainly made the necessary precautions to do this by the book, though this frustratingly keeps us in the dark.

Ahh I see. Thanks for the clarification.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017

And his claims are mainly people coming to him with information. So even in the scenario where it is all made up, Grusch doesn't have to be lying himself. People coming to him with info can still be the truth, even if the information ends up being not true.

Even then lies of omission would not be perjury. If he had information that went against his claims, it might not be perjury if congress never brings it up. I do think he probably believes what he is saying though.

Last edited: