Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I consider Osaka my second home... these pictures are completely heartbreaking...

Oct 28, 2017

0pGGQQ2.png

jesus

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
Absolutely terrifying. Will be praying today for safety, especially for first responders trying to deal with electrical and gas fires caused by the wind damage.

That video of the Gachapon machine sliding into a pole was pretty funny though, to be honest.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Eleven people were killed and nearly 300 were injured when Typhoon No. 21 tore through western Japan on Sept. 4, stranding thousands at an inundated airport, destroying infrastructure and causing record high tides.
Source

The ship that crashed into the bridge to Kansai airport:

DmS3s-HU0AEU7_K.jpg:large

The bridge:

DmTgmMXXcAYt-RN.jpg:large

3,000 passengers who were at the airport during the storm had to spend the night there and were evacuated by buses, seen on the right in the photo. Others were transported by ferry.

More pictures of the aftermath:

Downed trees in Nagai Park, ĹŚsaka:

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
I am shocked to see the waves at Aki city. I know someone whose whole family lives at Muroto Misaki. It seems the hurricane went directly over it, and I have not heard from him, as well as many other kochi people.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
it's freaky watching the footage of the flooded airport and Kyoto Station, I've been to these places not long ago

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Damn just caught up with this. Hope everyone in Kansai area is safe.

Honestly how do you even evacuate when the storm is going like that?

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, I was in Kyoto and Osaka last April. These videos are terrifying to watch. I hope there's no more casualties.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
That's great news. I heard Kansai International Airport is currently closed is that true?

Yes
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...-being-transported-out-of-kansai-airport.html

Kansai airport, one of the biggest in Japan, remained closed and over 200 flights were canceled for Wednesday, affecting over 30,000 people.

A decision is yet to be made about when the airport will reopen, according to its operator.

An airline source said the airport will remain closed on Thursday, but the government set up a taskforce at the prime minister's office aimed at quickly getting it back up and running.

Edit: Updated info:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...t-may-remain-closed-for-a-week-officials.html

Kansai International Airport may remain closed for around a week, depending on the extent of damage to its runway and airport facilities, airport officials said Wednesday.

Last edited:

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Went to the office today, crazy to see some of the larger trees on their side lying on the ground with the roots sticking out. The gym near my house also had a bunch of trees lying around.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Damn just caught up with this. Hope everyone in Kansai area is safe.

Honestly how do you even evacuate when the storm is going like that?
Just to note 'evacuation' usually means taking residents from high-risk areas/buildings and placing them in nearby (and hopefully safer) townhalls/schools/stadiums etc... not shifting 1 million people out of Kansai mid storm.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
was there 2 weeks ago, holy fuck. stay safe people

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. The earthquake triggered landslides and a while bunch of houses has been completely crushed:

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
More details about the quake:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...hquake-hits-hokkaido-no-tsunami-alert-issued/

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.7 rocked Japan's northernmost main island of Hokkaido early Thursday, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

The temblor, which occurred in southern Hokkaido at a depth of about 40 km, logged upper 6 on the Japanese seismic intensity scale to 7 in the town of Abira and lower 6 in the city of Chitose, both southeast of Sapporo.

"There are risks of landslides and homes collapsing. Please don't go near anywhere deemed dangerous," said an official at the Meteorological Agency in a hastily arranged news conference.

NHK footage showed a huge landslide in the town of Atsuma in Hokkaido.

The quake triggered a blackout across a wide area in Hokkaido. It also affected telephone service and television broadcasting in Sapporo.

About 3 million households in Hokkaido are experiencing power outages, NHK also reported.

NHK also reported that shinkansen operations in Hokkaido have been suspended due to a blackout.

CTS airport has been closed for the day because of damages:
https://twitter.com/nhk_seikatsu/status/1037466287109070848