• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
"not much we can do"

shut the fuck up there are hundreds of things we can do the help the environment, this sort of defeatist rhetoric is really just laziness dressed up as wokeness.
theres plenty an individual can do, it's just that imagining nations will stop destroying the environment to expand is tantamount to believing corporations will stop seeking profit

things can turn around on a long enough time frame if the world tries hard enough, but thats really impractical to imagine. so yeah it's doomsaying but for many intents and purposes, and for many people, that is reality

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's too late to salvage this planet. We're probably the last or second last generation to enjoy it before it goes to hell.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's too late to salvage this planet. We're probably the last or second last generation to enjoy it before it goes to hell.
The planet will survive fine lol

If we have to do something, it's technically for our survival first and foremost, not for the planet which will go on one way or another with or without us.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Legitimately heartbreaking to witness, especially when you focus in on specific species and the effects human and human-provoked disruption have had on them. On a natural level there's no redeeming it and I can only be thankful to those that work in conservation around the few able to avoid the brink.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
As far as climate goes, reforestation is one of the best things any of us can do. I'm sure any reasonably sized city has tree planting efforts. Join an organization and take a few Saturdays to plant some trees. It may seem like nothing but it's not.

Some may approach this topic with nihilism and I do too at times. I share the frustration with the unending myopia of world governments and the general apathy of people. Complain and do something though. Selfishly it may make you feel better about things too.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
It's horrible, absolutely horrible. And it is really noticable if you pay attention to local wildlife. When I was a kid in the early 90s we had a lot more birds and squirrels in my town, and it's been ages since i've seen a fox, a toad or a snake which was fairly common back in the day. And don't even get me started with insects, butterflies and bees are almost gone here, dragonflies and bumblebees apparently already are. I don't even want to know what's happening in the Amazonas or the oceans.

And there is absolutely no way we will stop this. We've known about these issues for decades and yet the rainforest is burning down faster than ever.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2020: "Two thirds of the wildlife has been lost"
2021: "Trump swears in for second term"
2022: "The ice caps are melting."
2023: "Super-Cancer has become airborne and contagious"
2024: "Where has all the water gone? It was here yesterday. Loads of the stuff."
2025: "Is it just me or is the Sun getting bigger?"
I remember these simpler days when every now and then I would read the Wikipedia page about the future of the universe and find it depressingly bleak. Now it gives me hope lol

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
It's kind of mind-boggling to think about the fact we're living through a mass extinction that's on course to beat out the one that killed the dinosaurs.

And that, even in the face it as obvious as it is, some peoples' political imagination to solving this problem is depressingly limited.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I remember these simpler days when every now and then I would read the Wikipedia page about the future of the universe and find it depressingly bleak. Now it gives me hope lol
I still find the inevitable decline and extinction of complex life on Earth in 500 million to 1 billion years pretty bleak.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I've been vegan for a year now, stories like these are why I decided to stop eating meat.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
background rate extinction has been high for a minute now, but this just means that despite centuries of knowledge about humanity's impact on its environment, we've been smashing the accelerator pedal towards total biosphere collapse. Still some time to at least mitigate the bleeding, but that clock has been tick tocking away pretty fast.

To go with this, it's also not just about the extinction rate, but how current animals are being transformed thanks to our carelessness of the ecosystem:
www.npr.org

Big Fish Stories Getting Littler

She found them in the Key West library: an old stash of "Look at What I Caught!" photos, proud fishermen showing off their big catch of the day back in the 1950s, '60s, '80s. As she looked, she noticed something odd. Something important.
The biggest fish on display in 2007 was a shark, and sharks, Loren calculated, are now half the size they used to be in the '50s. As to weight, she figured the average prizewinner dropped from nearly 43.8 pounds to a measly 5 pounds — an 88 percent drop.

It's no big surprise, I suppose, that fish in the sea are getting smaller. The curious thing, though, is that people who pay 40 bucks to go fishing off Key West today have no sense of what it used to be like. Had Loren not found the fish photos, there would be no images, no comparative record of what used to be a routine catch.
In her paper, Loren says that the fishing charter tours are still very popular. The price of the tour hasn't dropped (adjusting for inflation), only the size of the fish. Looking at the photos, people now seem just as pleased to be champions as those "champs" back in the '50s, unaware that what's big now would have been thrown away then. Loren says she suspects that people just erase the past "and will continue to fish while marine ecosystems undergo extreme changes."
Daniel Pauly, a professor at the University of British Columbia, has a way of describing these acts of creeping amnesia. He calls the condition "shifting baseline syndrome," and while he was talking about marine biologists' failure to see drastic changes in fish sizes over time, it's a bigger, deeper idea. When you're young, you look at the world and think what you see has been that way for a long time.
When you're 5, everything feels "normal." When things change in your lifetime, you may regret what has changed, but for your children, born 30 years later into a more diminished world, what they see at 5 becomes their new "normal," and so, over time, "normal" is constantly being redefined to mean "less." And people who don't believe that the past was so different from the present might have what could be called "change blindness blindness."

Because these changes happen slowly, over a human lifetime, they never startle. They just tiptoe silently along, helping us all adjust to a smaller, shrunken world.
image002_1956_custom-4d615abbfac3b064346cc255096f7eb95a924275-s800-c85.jpeg

1980_custom-9bc742a8d3dacecff32564ac9b7801b437740e53-s800-c85.jpeg

image001_2007_custom-a7285d7137523b1032fd219772ec8a1ca822ebee-s800-c85.jpeg

Nov 14, 2017
Does this article mean 2/3's of species have been knocked out or that we literally thinned the number of animals on Earth by 2/3?

Cuz that seems pretty drastic and like something we would have noticed in just our daily lives by now.
Neither: it's that the average population decline in the species they were tracking is 68%. So for example, if you were tracking two species, one common and one rare, and the rare one went extinct and the common one declined by 40%, the average decline would be 70%, although the absolute decline would be closer to 40%. However it's worth noting that this report is tracking something like 21000 species in ecosystems all over the globe, so it's a staggering figure regardless.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
To go with this, it's also not just about the extinction rate, but how current animals are being transformed thanks to our carelessness of the ecosystem:
www.npr.org

Big Fish Stories Getting Littler

She found them in the Key West library: an old stash of "Look at What I Caught!" photos, proud fishermen showing off their big catch of the day back in the 1950s, '60s, '80s. As she looked, she noticed something odd. Something important.

image002_1956_custom-4d615abbfac3b064346cc255096f7eb95a924275-s800-c85.jpeg

1980_custom-9bc742a8d3dacecff32564ac9b7801b437740e53-s800-c85.jpeg

image001_2007_custom-a7285d7137523b1032fd219772ec8a1ca822ebee-s800-c85.jpeg

I know I mentioned fish sizes, and yeah that was me seeing years of fishing competitions over the years, and what the big prize winners are now compared to decades ago, but *whew* this takes the prize right here :/ Not sure if those are the same fish species, or if it's just a case of those large fish all got fished out/don't live there anymore.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I know I mentioned fish sizes, and yeah that was me seeing years of fishing competitions over the years, and what the big prize winners are now compared to decades ago, but *whew* this takes the prize right here :/ Not sure if those are the same fish species, or if it's just a case of those large fish all got fished out/don't live there anymore.

I think they're different species. In the more recent pic at the time of the article (6 years ago), they even included a small shark. So yeah, the bigger fish gave out to the smaller fish over time and it's been getting progressively worse each decade.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Humans: destroys 2/3 of remaining wildlife in last 50 years, without significant widespread alarm

Also Humans: After their numbers reach nearly 8 billion, studies justify how earth can easily withstand many billions more if correct measures are taken

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no expert on terrestrial wildlife but at least in terms of the oceans I expect by the time I retire most species will only exist in aquariums. 50% of the worlds coral is already dead and the rest looks unlikely to survive the next 25 years even against our best case projections for sea temperature rises. That pretty much kills off the entirety of reef ecosystems. On top of that there's our ridiculous overfishing which very little is being done to curtail, which has caused for example a 90%+ decline in shark populations over the last 50 years.

This is why I'm spending pretty much all my saving on seeing the natural world now while it's still there, instead of doing more sensible things like saving up for a house deposit.

Last edited: