TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I'll need some evidence that a sizable portion of high school kids think school shooting are a joke.

Gonna have to ask how old you are. I'm 23 and it genuinely took me a while to think of people I know who are younger than me and haven't made school shooting jokes before. It's too common, it was normalized by the time I was in high school, and I can only imagine it's much worse now.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Suspensions are for fighting and smoking weed in the bathroom. Some actions can and should carry heavier consequences. This wasn't just kids dressing up and being dumb. They freakin reenacted a shooting and took pictures of it.

I didn't realise they went into the school and re-enacted the shooting in public. I thought they posed for photos on social media.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I didn't realise they went into the school and re-enacted the shooting in public. I thought they posed for photos on social media.
Directly from the short article linked in the OP:

610386849_750x422.jpg

The two posted this picture on Instagram reenacting a real-life photo of the Columbine shooters after they shot themselves.

Yeah, I'm gunna go with expulsion is justified.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I wonder what they told their parents they were dressing as (assuming they told them anything)? I'll bet this is going to make them real popular (assuming they don't just get expelled).

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's in the first sentence of the article.

I read the article. Three additional ones, infact.

I know they went to school in the costumes:

The two girls went to school wearing outfits that resembled the outfits Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris wore the day they killed 15 people at their school in Columbine, Colo. in 1999.

But this part does not indicate - to me - that the 'reenactment' took place in school/public:

Posts on girls' social media showed the two reenacting moments from the Columbine shooting with side-by-side images of the girls pretending to be the two shooters next to real photos from Columbine.

This does though, so thanks for posting.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If possible, "reenacted their suicides" should be added to title. Pretty important part of the expulsion consideration

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Columbine was two decades ago. High schoolers wouldn't have even remotely been alive at that time. Why are they looking up pictures and shit from Columbine? Dressing like some modern shooter is scary and horrifying. Dressing like some from decades ago shows some real crazy intent and worship that's on another level.

I was only 6 when it happened so I shouldn't really be that familiar with it but I know about it pretty intimately from the Bowling for Columbine movie. I'm thinking a lot of people much younger than me might be in the same boat.

The documentary was pretty huge and I think people still watch it.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Columbine was two decades ago. High schoolers wouldn't have even remotely been alive at that time. Why are they looking up pictures and shit from Columbine? Dressing like some modern shooter is scary and horrifying. Dressing like some from decades ago shows some real crazy intent and worship that's on another level.

That's kind of a good point. To them it's probably like dressing up as Bonnie and Clyde or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. To them, they're just historical figures. Not excusing it, just saying that to these kids they probably don't understand that their teachers and parents probably have vivid memories of watching Columbine on TV.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
What does this even mean? I feel some people just like to use that term for any news story no matter the context.

They did something shitty and inappropriate and were suspended. How is that white privilege?
How do you figure that?

I'm just saying, imagine being so safe, so incredibly confident about your place and stance in the world, where you think you can go to a place of one of the worst national tragedies in recent history dressed as the people who committed said atrocity and think that not only would no one have a problem with it, but that you'd be rewarded for it.

It's personally bewildering to me.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Question

To everybody trying to normalize this as "well this is just the way HS students think about shootings, as a big joke"..

Do any of you work in education (or at least have statistics/evidence to back this claim)? I've worked in high schools for more than a decade.. and with a variety of different students. I can say from personal experience that this is absolutely not the case and that most students take shootings and especially school shootings.. very seriously. Sure, you have the occasional student or two who makes light of it or says something inappropriate.. the the kind of behavior we see in the OP is not common behavior and I find it incredibly damaging and disturbing that some are treating it as such.

Dressing up as school shooters and reenacting their actions is absolutely not the norm.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
That's kind of a good point. To them it's probably like dressing up as Bonnie and Clyde or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. To them, they're just historical figures. Not excusing it, just saying that to these kids they probably don't understand that their teachers and parents probably have vivid memories of watching Columbine on TV.
But there's a difference between showing up at school as a historical shooter (like John Wilkes Booth) and an actual school shooter of the modern era.

HS kids can be stupid but there's little chance they were that far removed from context. They just wanted be dummies and shock people and they succeeded.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
That's...honestly not a bad point. I know this isn't remotely 1-to-1, but people my age and younger (including a lot of people here) make Zodiac Killer jokes pretty often. People were scared as fuck about the Zodiac Killer not all that long before I was born.

These girls should still be severely punished, though. Pretending to be a school shooter while at your school is a different ballpark than ZK jokes.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Question

To everybody trying to normalize this as "well this is just the way HS students think about shootings, as a big joke"..

Do any of you work in education (or at least have statistics/evidence to back this claim)? I've worked in high schools for more than a decade.. and with a variety of different students. I can say from personal experience that this is absolutely not the case and that most students take shootings and especially school shootings.. very seriously. Sure, you have the occasional student or two who makes light of it or says something inappropriate.. the the kind of behavior we see in the OP is absolutely not the norm and I find it incredibly damaging and disturbing that some are treating it as such.

Dressing up as school shooters and reenacting their actions is absolutely not the norm.

I think that people think back to the stupid things they did as teenagers (because we all did stupid thing) and try to rationalize the behavior of these two against their own experiences.

But yes, this is not normal behavior. It's sociopathy on a high level.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just saying, imagine being so safe, so incredibly confident about your place and stance in the world, where you think you can go to a place of one of the worst national tragedies in recent history dressed as the people who committed said atrocity and think that not only would no one have a problem with it, but that you'd be rewarded for it.

They didn't go to Columbine high school. They're not even in the same state.

Not defending it, but let's be clear.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They didn't go to Columbine high school. They're not even in the same state.

Not defending it, but let's be clear.

Posts on girls' social media showed the two reenacting moments from the Columbine shooting with side-by-side images of the girls pretending to be the two shooters next to real photos from Columbine.

My bad, I read this part wrong.

Still though, my point stands.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Dang that's some white privilege.

Explain

What does this even mean? I feel some people just like to use that term for any news story no matter the context.

They did something shitty and inappropriate and were suspended. How is that white privilege?

Basically.

Bruh, it's two dumb kids doing something incredibly stupid. People from all races do dumb things every day.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
There's a defense force here for dressing up as Columbine shooters at school. Let that sink in.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Explain

Basically.

Bruh, it's two dumb kids doing something incredibly stupid. People from all races do dumb things every day.
Envision how this might have played out differently of two young black people dressed up as gunmen and went into a school... or anywhere really. A suspension from school probably isn't the worst thing that would have happened in that case.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Envision how this might have played out differently of two young black people dressed up as gunmen and went into a school... or anywhere really. A suspension from school probably isn't the worst thing that would have happened in that case.

I was going to say ...."probably cause the black teens have more common sense and the white teens...."

Then it makes since from that side of the argument.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Pretty much. These kids weren't even born when Columbine happened and it's likely they feel detached from that event and are just being edgy teens.

There's a defense force here for dressing up as Columbine shooters at school. Let that sink in.
No one defended it. Calm down.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida

Black kids have enough to deal with. Especially not to participate in heiniously tone deaf trash like this.

Haven't seen any stories about PoCs dressing up as anything dangerous or offensive. Correct me if wrong

Anywho a suspension? Hmm we'll need more than that.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So you're a high schooler who decided it was ok to dress as school shooters... what the fuck.

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
BUT IT'S HALLOWEEN! I CAN DRESS UP AS ANYTHING! FREEDOM OF SPEECH THIS IS AMERICA!

It's amazing how some people abuse that all for social media attention.

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who lived through Columbine and its aftermath, I would encourage both these scumbags to get fucked and then eat a bag of salted dicks.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pretty much. These kids weren't even born when Columbine happened and it's likely they feel detached from that event and are just being edgy teens.
Except they played dead on the ground and took pictures (which were posted on social media) of the actual events of Columbine, simulating the suicide of the shooters. This whole "they just dressed up like people they recognized" narrative is bullshit.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Except they played dead on the ground and took pictures (which were posted on social media) of the actual events of Columbine, simulating the suicide of the shooters. This whole "they just dressed up like people they recognized" narrative is bullshit.
*shrugs* I'm not defending them, they have incredibly bad judgment and are complete idiots and deserve the suspension (and probably an expulsion). But it doesn't mean they are actual sociopaths or murderers in the making. I'd let psychiatrists make that diagnosis.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
*shrugs* I'm not defending them, they have incredibly bad judgment and are complete idiots and deserve the suspension (and probably an expulsion). But it doesn't mean they are actual sociopaths or murderers in the making. I'd let psychiatrists make that diagnosis.
I never argued that and as far I can see nobody else did. But their actions are far beyond being "edgy teens"; they took actual pictures from the shooting and had clear knowledge of what transpired in an attempt to reenact violent events.

This shit ain't normal and frankly people need to stop normalizing it in this thread.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I never argued that and as far I can see nobody else did. But their actions are far beyond being "edgy teens"; they took actual pictures from the shooting and had clear knowledge of what transpired in an attempt to reenact violent events.

This shit ain't normal and frankly people need to stop normalizing it in this thread.
You didn't, but others did in this thread (called them sociopaths, people - including a student's mom in the article - said they should be arrested/charged, etc.). On the other hand, I saw no one that called this "normal". Fortunately.