UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, divorcing this from the conservatives thing, do that many people really talk about politics at work? I am super liberal and I never feel safe talking about politics at work because I don't want to get in arguments with coworkers I'm supposed to get along with. Is it really a common thing?

I don't know how common it is but depending on the work environment, politics can (and probably will) come up. I'd assume it's less likely in a more corporate setting.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Many of the white-collar conservatives I know are accepting of what's coming out of the current administration as long as they have more money in their pockets at the end of the day. I'm not saying the majority are racist, homophobic, or xenophobic. Just that they'll turn a blind eye if they financially benefit from it.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
We've been playing this game for 2+ years. When conservatives whine about "not feeling safe to express their opinions", it's because they know said "opinions" will paint them as racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, Islamophobic, etc. They know they will at best take shit and at worst lose their jobs, and they don't want either.

Shit like this can't be tolerated anymore, and trying to nowadays only outs you for being shit.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Many of the white-collar conservatives I know are accepting of what's coming out of the current administration as long as they have more money in their pockets at the end of the day. I'm not saying the majority are racist, homophobic, or xenophobic. Just that they'll turn a blind eye if they financially benefit from it.

yeah i see this as well

It needs to change. This selfisn behavior has far reaching destructive consequences and conservatives need to back away from Devils Bargains

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Member when conservative policy pretty much revolved around old school conservative values like... fiscal responsibility and such?

Yeah they dont talk like that anymore in the Party of Trump

Conservative views my ass... They dont exist anymore. This is code that they dont feel safe being hateful, fearful, and racist

All that changed is that they now say the quiet parts out loud.

You start out in 1954 by saying, "N****, N****, N****." By 1968 you can't say "N****" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N****, N****."

"Fiscal conservatism" has always been a way to sell giving money to the rich by promising white people it will hurt minorities more.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't met a conservative who wasn't racist, misogynistic or hateful in general. To those who say they are conservative and not hateful, why do you do label yourself a conservative then? That's like saying you're part of the KKK but you're a good person.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can be a conservative and not be racist and hateful. What you cannot be is a Trump supporter without at the very least condoning hateful racitsm. Seems like Jack falls into the latter camp.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Fiscal conservatism was about the prudence in federal government spending and debt. We don't spend money that we don't have, raising taxes only when necessary to balance the budget, and we keep government as small as possible and limited to essentials...so that the states can decide ALL matters of economic and social policy to best help their population.

"Prudence in federal government spending and debt." = Don't give welfare to anybody poorer than a millionare but it's Ok because black people will be poorer than you.

"We don't spend money that we don't have" = slash taxes for billionaires

"raising taxes only when necessary to balance the budget" = Scream about the budget when the Democratic is in charge than cut taxes to make the deficit skyrocket when they're in office.

"and we keep government as small as possible and limited to essentials..." = See the first section.

"so that the states can decide ALL matters of economic and social policy to best help their population." = Bring back Jim Crow.

It's always been a scam.

Ronald Reagan, the Patron Saint of Modern Conservatism, made sure to give a speech on "State's Rights" in Neshoba County, Mississippi, where three Civil Rights Workers were murdered

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Fiscal conservatism was about the prudence in federal government spending and debt. We don't spend money that we don't have, raising taxes only when necessary to balance the budget, and we keep government as small as possible and limited to essentials...so that the states can decide ALL matters of economic and social policy to best help their population.

THAT WAS the original intent of Republicanism. Then that slowly morphed into "Well we gotta have a huge military" and "we gotta be anti-abortion / pro-Christian" and "we gotta be protectionist / xenophobic" and "we gotta reduce taxes on corporations but keep taxes high for the middle class" and "we gotta be racist / deplorable."

Yeah it was crazy how fast the selfish cracks began taking hold... to the point of ridiculous contradictions and complete lack of self awareness

Such a shame

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
"Prudence in federal government spending and debt." = Don't give welfare to anybody poorer than a millionare but it's Ok because black people will be poorer than you.

"We don't spend money that we don't have" = slash taxes for billionaires

"raising taxes only when necessary to balance the budget" = Scream about the budget when the Democratic is in charge than cut taxes to make the deficit skyrocket when they're in office.

"and we keep government as small as possible and limited to essentials..." = See the first section.

"so that the states can decide ALL matters of economic and social policy to best help their population." = Bring back Jim Crow.

It's always been a scam.

Yes we know.

Conservatism never lived even close to the proposed ideals in practice.. Cant argue that

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather know what someone biases to rather than try to interpret through their actions. So, if we can say that, and also have the freedom to evolve and change, then at least people know it, and I think it allows us to remove that a little bit more from the work, but it has to be proven out in our actions as well, so ... I mean, we have a lot of conservative-leaning folks in the company as well, and to be honest, they don't feel safe to express their opinions at the company.
Jack, we don't know your biases...

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
See, this is exactly how political debates used to be. We could debate political philosophies civilly and still be able to respect each other. I had plenty of debates about politics all throughout the 2000's and it was just fine, because we could agree to disagree.

Now that paradigm can't exist. If you're Republican today you must by association be complicit with racism and xenophobia. That was a really hard pill for me to swallow and I couldn't be an intelligent person anymore and stay Republican....this is why you see a huge brain drain within the Republican party today. They are the party of anti-intellectualism nowadays which I think is incredibly dangerous.

Yeah it sucks

Its not like I even agree with everything far left these days but there isn't a viable alternative and Ill take a crazy leftist over a crazy right winger any day

Crazy leftists are annoying and unreasonable but crazy right wingers are destructive and dangerous. Maybe im not being fair here but damn its all I can see with my eyes these days

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
The problem is their opinions in general, are harmful and make other Americans feel unsafe.

You can't yell fire in a theater, and if you yelled it at home, it would still make other people feel unsafe.

If your core opinion is "kick X type of Americans out of the country" or "kill yourself f*****" those are harmful views- why would you think you should be able to express them publicly if they're by design made to make others feel unsafe or that harm will come to them? Your views literally are against ToS.

Saying "I think everyone should get free healthcare" or "let people decide if they want to love someone of the same sex and marry them" aren't things that will make people feel afraid for their lives or unsafe because those views themselves aren't harmful.

So if you're a conservative that feels like you can't publicly say "I think we need to focus on helping businesses and corporations" or "the government needs to decrease spending" this themselves aren't harmful views/opinions that would make people fear for their life, so you're lying if you claim it's unsafe for you to express it.

The right playing this victim game is getting old.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Let them voice their opinions. They are free to just like everyone else here in the states.

Just don't be surprised when people call you out and treat you like shit due to your opinions being hateful and abhorrent.

Safe spaces for conservatives? Hmmmm funny thought right there. And here I thought we were the snowflakes.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If I were CEO of a company I would be proud of building a workplace culture where conservatives didn't feel safe expressing their shitty opinions.

Dorsey is a fucking hack.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Says more about them and their opinions. I'm around conservatives who express their opinions all the time. They're just normal average republican opinions like "taxes bad, freedom good" though so they don't feel scared.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Conservatives love to moan about their "free speech" being violated, but the constitutional right to free speech only means you have the right to SAY it. Other people then have the equally-valid right to vilify and protest against you if you espouse ignorant, backwards beliefs that serve to discriminate and segregate our country.

The party of rights and responsibilities amiright?

If you exercise your rights you better be ready to take responsibility for the consequences

The level of cowardice on display from these so called "conservatives" is disgusting

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Interchange "bigot" with "conservative" because that's what it comes down to the vast majority of the time.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yea, sorry if normal decent human beings don't find bigoted, harmful, white nationalistic views palatable. This "pity me, I'm a victim for just having a different political view" is so fucking disingenuous. They are not being called deplorable for being fiscally conservative or wanting less government. Show me where they are being persecuted for talking about those things? They know damn well why they can't talk about their "views". And as far as identifying as a Republican right now look at your goddamn party and what values and platform they are supporting. More self reflection and less victimizing those not being victimized.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking good. Conservatives shouldn't feel safe espousing their hatred, racism and zenophobia.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I think we all know what a lot of those opinions are.

Black people do it to themselves
BLM is the same as the KKK
Illegal immigrants are rapists and murderers
We don't need anymore brown legal immigrants
There is no systemic racism
Companies should be able to fire people for sexual orientation

etc.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can that be? They allow Trump to use Twitter as his royal proclamation to the world all the time

Oct 27, 2017
A conservative having the opinion that government should be limited or that a balanced budget should be the goal would never be controversial. What they mean is saying bigoted, hateful shit gets you rightfully chewed out in a workplace.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
But what opinions would that be?

Because I don't see a problem (even if you disagree with it) with someone trying to argue about less taxes, less government in some domains, more or less interventionism abroad, etc.

Now if it's about the usual Trumpism (thinly veiled, if at all, Misoginy, Xenophobia, Racism, Homo and Trans phobia, Guns everywhere, Christian evangelism,etc.), then yeah, I could see a problem with "it's only my opinion bro".
That is the rub, if you ask they would be cute and not say them. Cause they know it is some bigoted bull shit. Cause that is what it always ends up being when people say "conservatives are scared to speak".

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Amazing how conservatives think that rational adult human beings will listen with a straight face to their claims of a conspiracy or bias against them when it's simply explained by their ideology just being shit. Most delusional people on the planet.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The other day an IT person at our work expressed being uncomfortable with a new hire because they suspected they might be gay. They lamented not being able to say homophobic things anymore. I'm gonna guess these are some of the same "opinions" Twitter employees don't feel safe expressing.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
He's speaking from personal experience, I'm sure. atJack is the fucking worst, god.

Last edited: