• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/16/t...pis-by-3-months-as-it-launches-a-replacement/

In addition, Twitter makes it clear that any apps that rely on the older Site Streams and User Streams APIs, will have to live without that functionality after August 16th. It claims this won't affect most apps – only a small percentage.

"As a few developers have noticed, there's no streaming connection capability or home timeline data, which are only used by a small amount of developers (roughly 1% of monthly active apps)," writes Twitter Senior Product Manager, Kyle Weiss, in a blog post. "As we retire aging APIs, we have no plans to add these capabilities to Account Activity API or create a new streaming service for related use cases."

Boom.

Well, at least the announcement addresses developers' complaints about a lack of information from Twitter regarding the pricing of the new APIs, and how long before all the changes kick in, given the news of a delay.

As Favstar's creator Tim Haines explained when announcing the app's shutdown, the lack of information made running its business too difficult.

""Twitter… [has] not been forthcoming with the details or pricing. Favstar can't continue to operate in this environment of uncertainty," he told TechCrunch earlier this week.

As for those 1 percent of apps that use the soon-to-be-depracated APIs – like Talon, Tweetbot, Tweetings or Twitterific – the plan was to switch over to the Enterprise Account Activity API. But they were frustrated that Twitter wasn't saying how much it would cost; so they didn't know if it would be an affordable option to sustain their business. It looks like they'll now get those details.

But as those developers pointed out recently, there were broader concerns that the API changes were meant to actively discourage "client apps that mimic or reproduce the mainstream consumer client experience," as Twitter had once said. Unfortunately for end users, the company's decision is especially frustrating, given that Twitter shut down its native Mac app.

It does appear that Twitter is looking to impact the functionality of these "1 percent" of apps, given that it will no longer let them stream in tweets as they're posted (it's making the statuses/home_timelineendpoint available instead – which is not streaming). And other notifications will be delayed by a couple of minutes, in some cases, as Tweetbot's creator, Paul Haddad, explained yesterday.

Premium pricing is $2899.00 per month for up to 250 users.
There's no way that Tweetbot or Twitteriffic can afford this.

And so...

It's looking like it won't be financially possible for us to afford the new account activity API from twitter.

We'll see how the Enterprise pricing pans out. They could offer a sweetheart deal just for these two companies but somehow I doubt it.

EDIT: It is yet unclear ifpolling, as mentioned in the article, can replicate the Twitter client functionality but with minutes of delays and lacking notifications.

Last edited:

diablos991

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Forcing everybody to use their shitty anti consumer algorithm from their first party offerings.

Twitter needs to be replaced. Preferably something that still defaults to chronological view.

Why in the living fuck do they think they can charge $11.60 per user per month? Lol
Twitter isn't Netflix.

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Their reasoning is understandable, but this wouldn't be causing any drama if the native experience wasn't so shit to begin with. I can't for the life of me figure out what the Twitter engineering team actually does.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
There we go. Tweetbot is effectively dead with this if they don't pay up.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twitter has no idea, not even the slightest conception of what people actually like about its service. It will run itself into the ground, through the earth, and back out the other side trying to figure out a way to monetize whatever they think it is.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Forcing everybody to use their shitty anti consumer algorithm from their first party offerings.

Twitter needs to be replaced. Preferably something that still defaults to chronological view.

Why in the living fuck do they think they can charge $11.60 per user per month? Lol

They don't expect anyone to pay. It's just a way to eliminate third party clients without having to ban them outright.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
The official Twitter app is horrendous and unusable for my liking. Showing tweets out of order, the "In case you missed it" shit, the ads. I've used Tweetbot for years and it'll be terrible to have to give it up.

Oct 25, 2017
It's so hard to ban racists, but ho boy look how fast we can figure out ways to fuck over the services that helped build us.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not entirely sure what they're taking off, appears to be stream reading?

So this doesn't affect post bots does it?

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like twitter client more than others and tweetbot developers are greedy as fuck so I'm ok with this

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
WTF? $10/user/month? How is any new app going to take off? (Assuming organic growth and not some venture capital backed startup throwing money at them).

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
I like twitter client more than others and tweetbot developers are greedy as fuck so I'm ok with this
Holy bad opinion, Batman!

Maybe you should know Twittter actively neuters third party APIs which is why they CANNOT offer certain things up to the quality of the official app? And for your "greedy" take, perhaps only Tweetbot falls in that aspect. Most clients are paid once and own forever without any revision ala Tweetbot.

Flamingo died a few weeks back, but this sucks.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Well. Maybe if the default app wasn't the shitheap that it is, Tweetbot and similar apps wouldn't need to exist.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez this sucks. I still use Twitter Tweetbot for a variety of uses. Guess I just will be using Twitter less than ever.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would just make Tweetbot the official app cuz their own is garbage.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand what kind of app this pricing is for exactly. I can't imagine anyone wanting access stream API w/ that price.

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tweetbot released their update client on desktop yesterday that has ways around these changes. It now polls instead of relying on push

How in the hell are Tweetbot greedy?

Charging for every new update unlike almost every other iOS app in existence big or small. Disabling previous versions so you cannot download them again if you deleted it accidently