plagiarize

Khive rise up
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Written by Mark Frost, picking up where season 3 and The Secret History of Twin Peaks left off, we are just a week away from this dropping on Amazon. I've got this and the audiobook version pre-ordered, and am eagerly awaiting this, while avoiding spoilers from the first few pages that reportedly were unveiled on a UK book seller.

It's a good deal shorter than Secret History, but will hopefully answer some of the questions that book left off, even if I think it's crazy to expect it to answer any of the questions season 3 left. I can't wait to discuss new Twin Peaks stuff with some of you here on ResetEra!

You can pre-order here

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I think a 60-something page preview is already up on iBooks. I'm going to avoid it.

Can't wait to get my physical copy.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I received the first volume for my birthday last month. I have this on pre-order too. I'm a little poor this week, but I can't bring myself to cancel the order. I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan. This very well could be the last piece of canon we receive and I largely think it will be.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
I really need to find the time to finish Secret History before this! You know I still have a pre-order though...

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to this, especially after reading the secret history. How was the audiobook version of Secret History? Was thinking about picking both audio versions up to listen to at work as well.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I have it on pre-order even though I expect it to leave me with more questions than answers.

OP
OP
plagiarize

plagiarize

Khive rise up
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Really looking forward to this, especially after reading the secret history. How was the audiobook version of Secret History? Was thinking about picking both audio versions up to listen to at work as well.
The audio book was pretty solid. It's very weird having a different actress voicing Agent Preston, and Kyle doesn't sound as much like Cooper as he did in Series 3... but it's great hearing some of the original cast reading their parts. Hank is probably my favorite part, since that character wasn't in series 3... but probably the best performed bit is Hawk reading the ballad of Ed and Norma.

is the secret history of twin peaks worth reading? I just finish season 3 last month
If you liked season 3, I'd say so. If anything it's an easier read after the series rather than before it, since it too spends a lot of time away from Twin Peaks.

Oct 25, 2017
Going to likely pick up this and The Secret History together in the future. From what little bits the internet posted during Season 3, there's some essential information that helps piece together some of the gaps the show left hanging, as well as some fun stuff for fans of the show and alternate-history.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
If you liked season 3, I'd say so. If anything it's an easier read after the series rather than before it, since it too spends a lot of time away from Twin Peaks.

It's also nice to make the immediate connection between Tammy and Tamara. I read it after finishing Season 3 and it helped attune its role in terms of the canon.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sabrina Sutherland said in her AMA that David Lynch has a) not read Secret History and b) has no idea what will be in this. So it'll be interesting to see how this gels with the new season.

OP
OP
plagiarize

plagiarize

Khive rise up
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Sabrina Sutherland said in her AMA that David Lynch has a) not read Secret History and b) has no idea what will be in this. So it'll be interesting to see how this gels with the new season.
Secret history doesn't clash with series 3, even with Frost working on it pretty much in parallel with Lynch filming and rewriting series 3 as needed. I'm sure Frost will ensure the important things line up. I doubt he'll be working in whatever space Part 18 took place in though... but I have no idea, and I'm excited whichever version of reality he's set this in.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I saw some Annie teasing from a Twin Peaks account on Twitter yesterday, with Mark Frost liking the tweet. So if you want to know what's up with her it appears this book will have to do.

Also, y'all, should I post the Twin Peaks OT here or create something a bit more general with a focus on Peaks and Lynch? I'd love to have a place to discuss these things in with you guys again.

(Someone else can do it too of course.)

OP
OP
plagiarize

plagiarize

Khive rise up
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I saw some Annie teasing from a Twin Peaks account on Twitter yesterday, with Mark Frost liking the tweet. So if you want to know what's up with her it appears this book will have to do.

Also, y'all, should I post the Twin Peaks OT here or create something a bit more general with a focus on Peaks and Lynch? I'd love to have a place to discuss these things in with you guys again.

(Someone else can do it too of course.)
Someone else made a very sparse OT. Not sure it's going to survive though. I figured most of our TP discussion happens around things actually coming out or airing, so for the time being I think we can focus on the new stuff over here. I'll forget to post in any hangout in OT knowing me. Great to see a lot of the Twin Peaks fans getting registered here though!

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo....I stopped watching Twin Peak OG two episodes before I found out who killed Laura Palmer; should I suffer through it and catch up?

OP
OP
plagiarize

plagiarize

Khive rise up
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Sooooo....I stopped watching Twin Peak OG two episodes before I found out who killed Laura Palmer; should I suffer through it and catch up?
At the very least watch through the end of the Laura Palmer storyline. If you can't stand the next couple of episodes after that, skip to the last episode, and then watch Fire Walk With Me. That'll stand you in good stead to either watch season 3 or read The Secret History. And even though Secret History came out first, I think reading it after season 3 is probably the better way to appreciate that material. It was, after all, written after Frost and Lynch wrote season 3.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Someone else made a very sparse OT. Not sure it's going to survive though. I figured most of our TP discussion happens around things actually coming out or airing, so for the time being I think we can focus on the new stuff over here. I'll forget to post in any hangout in OT knowing me. Great to see a lot of the Twin Peaks fans getting registered here though!

Ah I missed that one, it'll have to do. You're probably right that it won't see a lot of activity, but it's good to have around.

But yeah, great to see Twin Peaks GAF here!

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least watch through the end of the Laura Palmer storyline. If you can't stand the next couple of episodes after that, skip to the last episode, and then watch Fire Walk With Me. That'll stand you in good stead to either watch season 3 or read The Secret History. And even though Secret History came out first, I think reading it after season 3 is probably the better way to appreciate that material. It was, after all, written after Frost and Lynch wrote season 3.

I'll do that then. I know people LOVE Twin Peaks, but it felt like a slog for me. Maybe it is just because it's hard seeing it for the first time in 2017, but I at least want to know who killed Laura. (No I haven't been spoiled yet)

TheGreatDave

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped

Looking forward to it. There's also the audiobook version featuring much of the cast.

Kyle's acting for the audiobook version of Secret History is probably the worst thing he's done in his entire career. I'll still check it out though.

Audiobook Tammy was about 100x better than The Return Tammy though.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Cannot wait for the book. I havent watched the series since the finale, but I still think about it regularly. What a masterpeice.

Abu Dave

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 was a total dissapointment, so I guess this book is the last shot for David Lynch / Mark Frost to redeem themselves.

*exits thread to stock footage and stock rap music song playing*

Abu Dave

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Secret History, it actually cared about the lore and history of the show instead of some wank fantasy for David Lynch

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I've yet to get Secret History of TP, so I think this'll be on my waiting list for quite some time. Can't wait for your impressions, though!

Deleted member 6769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to reading this. I really don't care if it's canon or not, I just want more Twin Peaks, even if it's not total batshit Season 3 Twin Peaks.

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
are these Twin Peaks books okay to read on a kindle? are there big illustrations or something that make it better with the real thing?

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll probably get this and read it at some point. I'm not in a huge rush because I don't really know anything about Mark Frost or have a sense of what his influence on the show really was, but I am curious to see what he came up with for this and more of the world of Twin Peaks S3 sounds good to me.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda underwhelming, to be honest. It's set up as FBI files submitted by Tammy to Cole, summarizing what happened to various Twin Peaks residents since the original show ended, with her opinions about said events mixed in. It's interesting as a fan of the show, but it certainly doesn't answer anything definitively. The Audrey chapter would seem to contradict what we see in the show, for example, and there's an autopsy report for one character written by Albert after the original series that tries to make him look prescient about the state of current America that is corny as hell. It's a fast read, if nothing else.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Mine arrived yesterday and I brought it to work with me today. No chance I actually crack the cover, but I'll check it out tonight.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda underwhelming, to be honest. It's set up as FBI files submitted by Tammy to Cole, summarizing what happened to various Twin Peaks residents since the original show ended, with her opinions about said events mixed in. It's interesting as a fan of the show, but it certainly doesn't answer anything definitively. The Audrey chapter would seem to contradict what we see in the show, for example, and there's an autopsy report for one character written by Albert after the original series that tries to make him look prescient about the state of current America that is corny as hell. It's a fast read, if nothing else.

Yeah unlike The Secret History of Twin Peaks, this feels like a cynical cash-grab. There are only like 120 pages and some of them are just photos, empty space or chapter titles. The book is ridiculously short.

I disagree the Audrey chapter is contradictory.
Tammy says in the book she thinks Audrey's been in a care facility for the last few years following a breakdown. That would fit with the last Audrey scene being her freaking out dressed in white.

Apart from Audrey the only notable information we learn from the book is

1. Annie's fine.
2. Sarah Palmer is almost certainly the girl possessed in 3x08.
3. Cooper succeeded in changing the timeline and Laura was never murdered. Cooper was sent to investigate her disappearance and the case went nowhere.

Riven

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that still confused me is the Phillip Jeffries chapter:

Just to clarify what I read. In South America he was on the trail of a crime syndicate and it turns out that the syndicate was run by Judy? Somehow he discovers how to do the white/black/mauve zone traveling through time and space, which screwed him up mentally.

So my question is. In order of events. Does he meet Booper first in that Dutchman motel, then later on he appears in the Philadelphia FBI office in FWWM? Is that why he says "Who do you think that is over there?" i.e. he thinks this the real Cooper is Booper. If so how does Jeffries go from teapot form back to human form? I am a little confused about the order of events. Then when he hears about the year it is too shocking to him and it rips him back through time and space and he is seen once more in the hotel in Argentina before he is gone for good?

One thing I like that this book did explain:

I like that we have confirmation that Twin Peaks was not some dream. That after the events in the sheriffs station it still existed. Somehow the chief ended up in the Great Northern Hotel basement and the others were still in the sheriff's office. Then Tammy was left to clean up the mess and learned that the Laura Palmer murder never happened, but in fact she just disappeared. I would have been so sad if the whole town of Twin Peaks never existed.

Last edited: