• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Yep!

img_20181121_122927kndzn.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
That's a nice dog you got there.

MosquitoSmasher Cute doggie! That tv looked stunning when I saw it in the wild recently so congrats and enjoy! :)

Thank you! :)

And yes, Lara is amazing. Absolutely lovely dog.

I've set it all up just now. Absolutely not an easy job on your own but hey, I managed to do that with the Sony 930e as well, and since this TV is lighter I was gonna do it here as well!

Last edited:

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
I'm officially inside the OLED space.

Bought these two babies recently, they ended up costing $5500 together which I've got a steal deal, their combined retail price is $9000. Yes electronics are fucking expensive here in India.

45074194325_594557a6fa_b.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Could be completely wrong but doesn't that only work at 1080p on the Samsung with the Xbox one? Might have confused it with freesync

Hmmm that's possible I guess. I'll look into this later then. Right now I'd like to try out some HDR games but I can't seem to figure out how to enable HDR for the game mode, lol.

Nevermind, Google truly is your friend, haha.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I've been looking at these, to combo with the (up to $100 off) 15% off deal tomorrow.

There are talks about this seller on Slickdeals for these TV deals. Seems like a lot of FUD about it being a grey market seller but they apparently will work with you if you have issues and are well reviewed. People will say LG won't warranty it but that seems to maybe not be true? Anyway read thru the Slickdeals posts. Search for "LG OLED" and they'll pop up.

Search "Ebay" to see the 15% off (max $100) code for 8am to 8pm on the 21st using the mobile app. I'm also seeing 24 months zero interest financing via PayPal if that's an interest.

About tax, I don't know that they charge it, but states expect people to self report out of state purchases if it isn't (yea I know...).

*edit* I've probably talked myself into buying one. Sigh...

I ended up going with Greentoe for $2,099 just because it feels like a safer purchase to me, but let me know how it goes! With the coupon code it should only be $1,949? That's crazy!

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
The X supports Dolby Vision, but in my case (LG Oled E6), the Dolby Vision of the TV is too old (older than the version of the X), so I can't watch DV content.

It supports it, but apparently ONLY for streaming and for the time being ONLY for Netflix specifically, although I'm having trouble finding more recent articles for any kind of update.

Microsoft has released Dolby Vision support on Xbox One, which opens the console to a new pool of HDR content. Initially, support is limited to video streaming applications, starting with Netflix's existing Dolby Vision video library. Although an initial report from CNET claimed Blu-ray disc support is in the pipeline for this fall, Microsoft has since confirmed this is not the case.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone with a Q9 here using the game mode?

This is extremely weird but I notice heavy artifacts around characters (RDR2, ACO, Tomb Raider) when I rotate the camera. This is the same kind of effect that any motion interpolation would introduce. However, auto motion plus has been disabled.

EDIT

I reaaaaally should have looked at Karspankey's link because it explains it all.

Turns out there are settings in the external device manager for game mode, including auto motion plus and yes surely enough this was enabled. Thank God, I was afraid there was something seriously wrong because hell, game mode is exactly meant to not mess around with that.

Last edited:

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Thank you! :)

And yes, Lara is amazing. Absolutely lovely dog.

I've set it all up just now. Absolutely not an easy job on your own but hey, I managed to do that with the Sony 930e as well, and since this TV is lighter I was gonna do it here as well!

:) Please give Lara an extra big cuddle from me!

Oh, well done. I just got back from my local tv emporium and saw your set in all its glory and immediately thought of you. Happy gaming/viewing!

I almost got myself talked into the 55" LG E8 while I was there. The poor salesman was very keen to sell it to me but at £2K for the sale with commission/brownie points from his boss, I would imagine, that is understandable. I told him that I needed to sleep on it so he's put a hold on it for me for a couple of days. He said the Panasonic OLEDs were doing very well and they are running out of stock. Not surprising, the attract video they have playing on it is stunning. I would be tempted if not for the lack of Dolby Vision and the uninspiring user interface. I had a quick play on the LG C8 which gave me happy memories of gaming on my Wii. That U.I. is easily worth the extra £100 over the Panasonic, for me. Ironically the LG C8 was the least impressive looking set going from what they had running on it. The Panasonic OLED, the Sony OLEDs and also the Samsung Q9FN had really stunning attract videos running which really did those sets justice. The LG C8 had a drab set of rotating still pictures with a fake picture frame that really diminished the appeal of the set. I can easily see how the average shopper is swayed by how the set looks in the shop together with the sales patter of the sales staff. Fortunately I am a nerd and research these things obsessively for months before jumping in. I am teetering on the edge of doing so but will give myself a couple of days to mull it over. £2K is not an inconsiderable sum and my 42" 1080i plasma is perfectly adequate so it would be a complete luxury purchase. Dat OLED screen doe...

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
So you can get the 65' B8 via the Ebay app for 1799 after discount code is applied. The seller has a 5 star rating of more then 1900 feed left. I am super skeptical though of Ebay and honestly never use it as I am not a fan. Very tempting though.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
:) Please give Lara an extra big cuddle from me!

Oh, well done. I just got back from my local tv emporium and saw your set in all its glory and immediately thought of you. Happy gaming/viewing!

I almost got myself talked into the 55" LG E8 while I was there. The poor salesman was very keen to sell it to me but at £2K for the sale with commission/brownie points from his boss, I would imagine, that is understandable. I told him that I needed to sleep on it so he's put a hold on it for me for a couple of days. He said the Panasonic OLEDs were doing very well and they are running out of stock. Not surprising, the attract video they have playing on it is stunning. I would be tempted if not for the lack of Dolby Vision and the uninspiring user interface. I had a quick play on the LG C8 which gave me happy memories of gaming on my Wii. That U.I. is easily worth the extra £100 over the Panasonic, for me. Ironically the LG C8 was the least impressive looking set going from what they had running on it. The Panasonic OLED, the Sony OLEDs and also the Samsung Q9FN had really stunning attract videos running which really did those sets justice. The LG C8 had a drab set of rotating still pictures with a fake picture frame that really diminished the appeal of the set. I can easily see how the average shopper is swayed by how the set looks in the shop together with the sales patter of the sales staff. Fortunately I am a nerd and research these things obsessively for months before jumping in. I am teetering on the edge of doing so but will give myself a couple of days to mull it over. £2K is not an inconsiderable sum and my 42" 1080i plasma is perfectly adequate so it would be a complete luxury purchase. Dat OLED screen doe...

That C8 was just showing the still images that come up when you have no input connected or turned on lol, they look pretty but nothing like a showroom video.

They probably just forgot to turn on whatever demo they have for it.

That is interesting, cause the console says that my TV is at fault for not having the same version of DV.

That is weird. Xbox only supports Netflix streaming Dolby Vision anyway, which your TV can already do on its own.

So you can get the 65' B8 via the Ebay app for 1799 after discount code is applied. The seller has a 5 star rating of more then 1900 feed left. I am super skeptical though of Ebay and honestly never use it as I am not a fan. Very tempting though.

Sounds like a good deal.

Last edited:

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Well, finally decided to pick up a Q8FN and love it so far.

Bright as hell, blacks almost as deep as OLED, great upscaling, no judder or stutter, no risk of image retention, and freesync support.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Store in Holland.

When you go their site and look at the TV the price is crazy high. However the big difference is when you just call them up and ask about a personal deal. And most of the time they come with really good deals. It's now extra crazy good because of black Friday and on top of that the cashback from Samsung which is almost over.

Wait, what is this cash back from Samsung? How do you get that?

Oct 26, 2017
I'm extremely impressed with the picture quality of the Q9FN. I immediately noticed a clarity difference in Shadow of the Tomb Raider compared to the Sony 930e. It just looks better.

I do notice one thing though which I find odd....in many games such as Forza Horizon 4, Hitman, Shadow of War, BFV, Far Cry 5,etc , I notice how certain things have this weird flicker around them. I see it on foliage in FH4, aliasing is more visible than it already was, in Hitman I see flickering around fences and I see it on foliage and such in BFV as well.

It's like when you turn up reality creation on a Sony TV, that effect. However the Q9FN doesn't have this option. All I can do is lower Sharpness from 10 to 0,which makes it a bit too soft for my liking. There's not much you can do about this eh?

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Guys. Black friday craziness. I need some help! Moving so am looking to go bigger from my 55" TCL P605 I got last year.

NU8000 65" for $1,000
NU8500 65 for $1,100 (same as the above but curved)
Vizio P 65" for $900
TCL 6 65" for $900?

What do I choose?!

For the NU8000 I am intrigued by FreeSync and the Game Motion Plus technology. I have an Xbox One X so I guess that supports FreeSync, and it seems like all games can benefit from GMP. I have see varying opinions online from folks about how much they like GMP. Would love to hear input from you guys. Also kinda into curved model but maybe just a gimmick? I want this tv to feel theatrical FWIW

For the Vizio P it seems to just flat out have amazing reviews, but I'm a little worried about the interface being slow & HDR performance.

TCL 6 has Roku TV which I have honestly fallen in love with on my current one. It has worse reviews than the Vizio P though.

Hypothetically if I wanted to go 75" what models should I be looking at?
Can anyone shed light on my question re the Samsung game motion features?

Oct 26, 2017
That's an insane deal. The Q9FN is still $3000 here in the US. No special Samsung deals.

Absolute insanity indeed. The thing is, if you just go to their site you will see 3000 euros as well. That is until you call them up, ask for a special deal or in this case black Friday and at the moment it's 2099 euros. But even without black Friday last week they had it up for 2300 euros.

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a house so obviously you have to buy a new TV right? I am demoting my trusty 46 in Panny plasma I bought in 2008 to master bedroom duties and replacing it with a 75 inch X900F I bought through GreenToe for $2499 using Paypal credit. Delivery is scheduled for Friday!

I have a low and wide TV stand, wall mount, and extra large luminoodle for bias lighting being delivered today. Will eventually do the wall mount with the hidden wires. I'm slightly excited about it!

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Guys. Black friday craziness. I need some help! Moving so am looking to go bigger from my 55" TCL P605 I got last year.

NU8000 65" for $1,000
NU8500 65 for $1,100 (same as the above but curved)
Vizio P 65" for $900
TCL 6 65" for $900?

What do I choose?!

For the NU8000 I am intrigued by FreeSync and the Game Motion Plus technology. I have an Xbox One X so I guess that supports FreeSync, and it seems like all games can benefit from GMP. I have see varying opinions online from folks about how much they like GMP. Would love to hear input from you guys. Also kinda into curved model but maybe just a gimmick? I want this tv to feel theatrical FWIW

For the Vizio P it seems to just flat out have amazing reviews, but I'm a little worried about the interface being slow & HDR performance.

TCL 6 has Roku TV which I have honestly fallen in love with on my current one. It has worse reviews than the Vizio P though.

Hypothetically if I wanted to go 75" what models should I be looking at?

Sorry nobody answered you. I'm in the same boat. (I haven't been considering the Vizio though, maybe I should)

Ratings compares models. Here's the nu8000 vs the Vizio. They said Visio wins.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-nu8000-vs-vizio-p-series-2018/586/625

Here's the Samsung vs the tcl. Seems like a tie. https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-nu8000-vs-tcl-r617/586/613

And Vizio against the TCL. Vizio wins. https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/tcl-r617-vs-vizio-p-series-2018/613/625

So based on that, probably the Vizio.

Edit: I think I may have talked myself into the Visio. Thanks!

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm officially inside the OLED space.

Bought these two babies recently, they ended up costing $5500 together which I've got a steal deal, their combined retail price is $9000. Yes electronics are fucking expensive here in India.

45074194325_594557a6fa_b.jpg

Nice!

You got one of the best TV money can buy (only competition is other OLEDs lol) next to a really good LCD in the same picture.

This is almost like me, but I gave the X900F to my sister and my C8 is 55".

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Hooked up a Samsung NU8000 55 inch set tonight. Holy shit. The clarity of this thing is so beautiful. The colors just pop so much. I had a Samsung 40 inch since 2010 and the step up is just insane shit. Played with the apps,streamed some vintage tv in Battlestar Galactica and Miami Vice,used the fast motion feature to make them look better,does a nice job on old content for sure. Will hook up my XBoxOneX and try Forza IV and Shadow of the TombRaider and see how this HDR thing plays out. The speakers are eh,ok,doesn't put out quite the volume of sound that my old Samsung does but I think I'm going to grab some blutooth speakers on Black Friday. I grabbed the tv at Best Buy for $750.00 total. Thought about getting the 65 but nope my bedroom is way too small for that beast. The NU8000 is a really nice tv overall. Didn't break the bank either,very happy with the quality so far. For example the upscalling on old movies is sweet. I ripped Wolverine Origins from a DVD into an Xvid format,inserted it into a USB stick,then plugged it into one of the USB slots on the tv and it looks so cleans and vibrant with the upscale. Going to rip my whole collection doing this and will grab a large flashstick for black Friday too I suppose. This shit is gonna be so good for movies :)

BTW- whats the best affordable 4K bluray player in terms of the most codec formats it can handle?
Stuff that can handle H265 and MKV would be a good start.
Thanks.

Just wanted to say I appreciate the review. Seeing everyone in here buying OLEDs, it's nice to see someone can be blown away by a measly little $1000ish tv. And the Samsung is one of the ones I am considering.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon offering 10% back on the 65" C8 if you order with an amazon card.

Anybody think I can get Best Buy to price adjust my tv? If not, I might return it and go through amazon

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Amazon offering 10% back on the 65" C8 if you order with an amazon card.

Anybody think I can get Best Buy to price adjust my tv? If not, I might return it and go through amazon

Is that 10% points back or 10% extra odd the cost? I have an amazon card and everything I buy I get points (free money essentially) back on all the stuff I buy but it's either usually 3% or 5% I think. So curious if that's what this is but boosted to 10% or an extra 10% of the purchase item?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I think I will get the Visio p series 65 inch. What do I have to specifically check the panel for in the 'panel lottery'? And how do I check it? Play a movie?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think I will get the Visio p series 65 inch. What do I have to specifically check the panel for in the 'panel lottery'? And how do I check it? Play a movie?

i personally wouldn't check out of the box. buy it. set it up. use it as you would normally. don't start checking for things unless stuff sticks out to you in normal viewing. once you go down that rabbit hole its hard to unsee even minor issues

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Looking to pick up a new TV for my office / gaming room. But I have a problem, I don't have that much space to put up a new TV and I sit about 4-5 feet away. Right now I have a 40 inch setup and I'm looking at probably going either 49 in or at the largest 55 inches. So fari looked at the TCL 55 INCH series 5, but it doesn't have local dinning. Other options are the Samsung NU8000 and Q6FN, both 49 inchers.

How decent is the TCL with edge lighting? This is many for console and PC gaming, with some movie/TV watching.

MASTER MENACE

Oct 25, 2017
In A State Of Trance
Which budget ($400-600) 4k HDR gaming tv (for PS4 Pro) should I be looking out for on Black Friday?? Can anyone help me out?

The TCL 55R617 is not on sale anywhere and it has bad panel lottery?

Anyone have any good deals on a TV that fits to my needs?

US based. Also have a UNiDAYS, Costco, and Amazon Prime membership, and access to the student discounts from Samsung store FYI.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
i personally wouldn't check out of the box. buy it. set it up. use it as you would normally. don't start checking for things unless stuff sticks out to you in normal viewing. once you go down that rabbit hole its hard to unsee even minor issues

Hm. The only issue is that it's a Christmas present. So if I wait that long, it might be hard to get a replacement if there is a flaw.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
That C8 was just showing the still images that come up when you have no input connected or turned on lol, they look pretty but nothing like a showroom video.

They probably just forgot to turn on whatever demo they have for it.

I mentioned this to the salesman but he just grabbed the remote and put on a terrestrial tv channel. Now it looked fine for a 720p source but nothing like the gorgeous 4K attract videos on the other OLEDs. Given this and its placement in the store I don't think it is their priority to sell this set right now, certainly not before the other sets they are giving the best placement to.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Absolute insanity indeed. The thing is, if you just go to their site you will see 3000 euros as well. That is until you call them up, ask for a special deal or in this case black Friday and at the moment it's 2099 euros. But even without black Friday last week they had it up for 2300 euros.

So you think I can just call them up and ask for a better deal? I mean, it's worth a shot, but I can't even imagine what department I'd talk to.